Sign in to follow this  
pRaX

Q&A and general information roundup about mechanics

@wes @Randygbk @GunMedia_Ben

This is mostly meant for the devs.

Personal opinions of players are fine but in the end meaningless and will be disregarded by me when updating this topic's OP.

This is about questions and official answers only.

If you have questions to add, please do so. I will update this post very frequently. If you have official replies/response on certain questions, please add a source that isn't vague / can't be misinterpreted.

The game and official informations are currently filled with alot of inconsistencies and contradictions about alot of it's issues.
Especially if you take official replies by various devs into account that were made on the various social media outlets and
different forums (official forum, reddit, steam forums, twitter..).

And to be frank... it's annoying as hell.

I want to take a chance though and ask for some clear cut and specified answers to many of those that can't be misinterpreted. I think alot of us would really appreciate it.

I hope one of the devs will take the time to finally clear up on alot of these things.

And yes, you have to be aware that the things you say are interpreted like the words of a God when you talk about them. So please, take your time and be as clear as possible.
If you can't be clear about certain questions at this time, please state so.
It's completely understandable if you guys didn't make up your mind on certain things yet and some things can be quite difficult to fix/realize due to technical limitations or in your abilities. I'm aware of that.
But it would be highly appreciated to know if that's the case.

PS: If you have a better topic title, please put it forward. I had quite the trouble with it :unsure:

Making this a sticky post would also be appreciated alot. I'm afraid this gets drowned by alot of nonsense.

-----------------------------

Topic #1 (Combat)

This will be about the Counselor's and Jason's combat mechanics, including the Combat-Stance.

Jason:

1. Jason breaking down doors in Combat-Stance.

• Intended or not?
  • If yes, why? What's the point of the Animation-Method then?

Note* If this is not intended and will be worked on, you'll also have to work on Counselors being able to hit Jason through the door he's currently breaking with the Animation-Method. Breaking it down in Combat-Stance is currently the only way to counter this. If you can't do that due to technical limitations, please at least acknowledge and state so. I can totally see that it's a hard nut to crack due to how the game currently handles combat.

Official answer: -

2. Jason's Combat-Stance blocks in a 360° radius which provides him with complete immunity.

• Intended or not?
  • If yes, why? Why not frontal 180° tops?

3. Jason's Combat-Stance allows you to completely negate the effects of Flares, Firecrackers and Beartraps as long as he keeps the block up.

• Intended or not?
  • If yes, why?

Note* Flaregun, Fircrackers and Beartraps still award you points for stopping Jason even if he totally negated it's effect when playing as Counselor. This is again one of those contradictions and inconsistencies if you take official replies into account about this very issue that float around. Especially when it comes to the Flaregun, there are some very vague replies floating around by some of you.

Official answer: bec9289b35.png

Counselors:

1. When in Combat-Stance, it is possible to hit Jason through the door he is currently breaking down with the Animation-Method.

• Intended or not?
  • If yes, why?

Note* This can currently only prevented by breaking doors in Combat-Stance for Jason players.

Topic #2 (Item distribution)

1. As of currently, items that are bound to interactive objects and objectives, that are carried by players, can become unretrievable in general if certain situations are met.

• Intended or not?
  • Is there currently a system in place that respawns these items somewhere on the map if they become unoptainable?
  • If not, why?
  • What are your plans on this issue?

Note* This is not about the items glitching halfway below ground when players die. This is most likely gonna be fixed (at least I hope so).
This is when people perhaps die on the water with those items or other means that aren't caused by straight up bugs/glitches.

Unofficial answer:  Items that get lost on the water supposedly wash up on the shore.

2. How does the distribution of items that are hidden in drawers/desks work in their current form.

• Are they preset at the start of each round?
  • Are they randomized as soon as player interacts with a drawer/desks? If so, do certain Counselor stats have an effect on it (like Luck for example)?

3. Is there a maximum amount of usable/consumable items that are generated in a session and found in desks/drawers?

• Maximum amount of Pocketknifes?
  • Maximum amount of Firecrackers?
  • Maximum amount of FirstAidSpray?
  • Maximum amount of Maps?
  • Maximum amount of Radios?

Topic #3 (Progression)

1. What exactly rewards CP at the end of a round and how are they given out in general?

• How exactly is CP rewarded after finishing a match?
  • What actions reward CP?
  • Is the CP amount given due to a level up always the same? (500cp each level up afaik)
  • Are CP and XP connected in any way or form?

List of Counselor XP gain actions

• Staying till the end of a round 500xp
  • Hero 500xp (Killing Jason)
  • Team escape 250xp (7 ppl escape)
  • Escape 200xp
  • Time bonus up to 200xp
  • Fighting back 100xp
  • Unscathed 50xp (escaping without damage)
  • Not in the face 50xp (hitting with flare)
  • Show yourself 50xp (de-masking Jason)
  • Calling cops 50xp
  • Calling Tommy Jarvis 50xp
  • Hunter 50xp (shooting with shotgun)
  • Trapper 50xp (trapping jason with beartrap)
  • Pyro 50xp (hitting with either flare or firecrackers)
  • Repair 50xp (includes cars/boat/generator)
  • Stunning 50xp
  • Repairing a car 50xp (Fully repaired car participation bonus XP)
  • Repairing the boat 50xp (Fully repaired boat participation bonus XP)
  • Breaking free 10xp (That includes Pocketknive usage)
  • Arming yourself 10xp
  • Doctor 5xp (Healing with medkit, self or other Counselor)
  • Fortified 5xp (Barricading a door)
  • Setting up a trap 5xp
  • DJ distraction 5xp
  • Found a part 5xp

*Again, fellow users, if you have questions yourself, please feel free to post. I'll add them after validation.

• Like 6

Hello, welcome to the forums. Youshould head over to the Introductory thread and say hello. I hope this thread gets the attention you want and stays clean of bickering. 

I would love a response on key item resets, I've herd they reset to drawers or wash up ashore. Cleary, What happens when someone dies with a key item but sometimes do not drop, is that a bug or has it reset? If so where? Same regarding people escaping or disconnecting from match with key items.

Also,  can we get a list of actions rewarding CP and what amount for each action?

25 minutes ago, Willie said:

Hello, welcome to the forums. Youshould head over to the Introductory thread and say hello. I hope this thread gets the attention you want and stays clean of bickering. 

I would love a response on key item resets, I've herd they reset to drawers or wash up ashore. Cleary, What happens when someone dies with a key item but sometimes do not drop, is that a bug or has it reset? If so where? Same regarding people escaping or disconnecting from match with key items.

Also,  can we get a list of actions rewarding CP and what amount for each action?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have added your question regarding the items. Please look over it to make sure I got it right. Really appreciate you partaking in this. Was already afraid this gets drowned by... stuff.

And yes, I'll hop on to the Introductory thread soon. :D

About the CP/XP/Points rewards. I'm not sure if this is the right topic but I could make another topic about this where we could gather this information. I personally have only incomplete info on this. Also quite inconsistent ones. I experienced getting +5 points and +10 for arming myself. Not sure why that is. But this is also a very good topic that leaves alot of answers to be desired.

• Like 1

Nicely written topic.  Hope it gets attention, but unfortunately you'd have better luck on facebook, twitter, discord, reddit,  myspace, or a rotary phone.  Pretty much anywhere but the official forums. Ben or jpops may help you out but the others don't come here sadly.  

Questions:  will the hit detect box for counselors to hit jason be adjusted?  Takes too many swings at least on consoles to hit jason. 

Will Jason's grab radius be corrected?  He has a magnetic ability from about 10 feet away to be able to grab you as you try to run away.  It's annoying.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pRaX said:

2. Jason's Combat-Stance seems to be blocking full 360°. (Correct me if that's wrong. I didn't have the chance to fully test it. If a player/user did, please provide a source/proof.)

It was tested here:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmussini said:

It was tested here:

Allright, just as I suspected. Gonna change it right away. Thanks for clearing it up.

Giving this thread a like and a bump. You pretty much will be required to ask these questions elsewhere because 99% of the development team does not visit this forum. Ask on facebook, reddit, discord, on their live streams and such. That's what they pay attention to. Heck even most of the game's information was released elsewhere before they put it on these forums.

• Like 4

Would agree with other folk here, it's best to ask these questions on Facebook or by email. Questions are seldom answered on the forum. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Giving this thread a like and a bump. You pretty much will be required to ask these questions elsewhere because 99% of the development team does not visit this forum. Ask on facebook, reddit, discord, on their live streams and such. That's what they pay attention to. Heck even most of the game's information was released elsewhere before they put it on these forums.

2 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Would agree with other folk here, it's best to ask these questions on Facebook or by email. Questions are seldom answered on the forum. 

Damn, that is really sad to hear. Especially since I don't even use Facebook/Reddit/Twitter (out of principle.. yes, I know I'm weird). I guess the only hope is that maybe one of the mods forwards it to them or makes them aware of it. :(

Would be nice to hear their official stance on shift-grabbing and shift-attacking. The forum is very divided on this.
All I heard is an unconfirmed source of something they said after the beta, so we can't use that info.

I'm going to tweet this thread to them. Others should too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryve said:

Would be nice to hear their official stance on shift-grabbing and shift-attacking. The forum is very divided on this.
All I heard is an unconfirmed source of something they said after the beta, so we can't use that info.

I'm going to tweet this thread to them. Others should too.

That would be really nice of you. Thank you.

1 minute ago, pRaX said:

Damn, that is really sad to hear. Especially since I don't even use Facebook/Reddit. I guess the only hope is that maybe one of the mods forwards it to them or makes them aware of it. :(

I'm guessing the reason they don't choose to answer questions on the forum is because a response can easily snowball into a ton of pages from people commenting. Also guessing it could just open up people's expectations with the forum in that it could manifest itself into a constant ongoing Q&A session - where everyone expects a reply. 

In my experience, with Facebook messaging or email - they generally answer as best they can - To be fair, when I've asked a question through those mediums, they have always replied.

If you're not on Facebook or Twitter - email is probably your best bet. But remember things are always ongoing and can easily change, so they can't always give you a concrete answer - it's dynamic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splatterhouse said:

I'm guessing the reason they don't choose to answer questions on the forum is because a response can easily snowball into a ton of pages from people commenting. Also guessing it could just open up people's expectations with the forum in that it could manifest itself into a constant ongoing Q&A session - where everyone expects a reply. 

In my experience, with Facebook messaging or email - they generally answer as best they can - To be fair, when I've asked a question through those mediums, they have always replied.

If you're not on Facebook or Twitter - email is probably your best bet. But remember things are always ongoing and can easily change, so they can't always give you a concrete answer - it's dynamic. 

I've asked tons of questions through twitter, but they have only responded on some bug and exploit reports.
When they did respond..... They're response wasn't always filled with intelligence.

• Like 1

Just now, Ryve said:

I've asked tons of questions through twitter, but they have only responded on some bug and exploit reports.
When they did respond..... They're response wasn't always filled with intelligence.

Yeah I shouldn't have added Twitter in there. Again, that's more of a public medium. To be fair if Ben was to spend everyday answering every single question they get on every social media account it's all he would ever do 24/7 and would still have a backlog the next day. The ratio is thousands of users to one pair of typing hands lol - and they're obviously busier than they've ever been at the moment! 

Try email or the official Twitter support account, rather than the official game account (two different entities). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splatterhouse said:

Yeah I shouldn't have added Twitter in there. Again, that's more of a public medium. To be fair if Ben was to spend everyday answering every single question they get on every social media account it's all he would ever do 24/7 and would still have a backlog the next day. The ratio is thousands of users to one pair of typing hands lol - and they're obviously busier than they've ever been at the moment! 

Try email or the official Twitter support account, rather than the official game account (two different entities). 

Oh yeah, I meant the support twitter. Either no answer or a lacking one.

• Like 1

Great post. Long time members have all been frustrated with how Gun handles their information, and their response to the criticism. So it's refreshing to me when new members pop in with the same concerns. 

"There are 40 types of updates color coded purple,green,red,silver,gold,etc..These updates go to twitter. Some will go on facebook. These will be on reddit. And this is for the discord fan club. Updates are also sent out through pigeons. Be sure to check the coastlines for bottle messages."

It's ridiculous. But it's kinda to be expected now. It's just how they work. If this post gets a lot of views and responses,the community manager will pop in and out,but that's it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Great post. Long time members have all been frustrated with how Gun handles their information, and their response to the criticism. So it's refreshing to me when new members pop in with the same concerns. 

"There are 40 types of updates color coded purple,green,red,silver,gold,etc..These updates go to twitter. Some will go on facebook. These will be on reddit. And this is for the discord fan club. Updates are also sent out through pigeons. Be sure to check the coastlines for bottle messages."

It's ridiculous. But it's kinda to be expected now. It's just how they work. If this post gets a lot of views and responses,the community manager will pop in and out,but that's it. 

33 minutes ago, Ryve said:

Oh yeah, I meant the support twitter. Either no answer or a lacking one.

Yup, it's one of the reasons I made this. This is all quite disheartening to read though. Feels like I might've wasted my time.

35 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Yeah, I'm aware that many of these will be difficult and uncomfortable for them to answer. But I also thought I made that quite clear in the post.

3 minutes ago, pRaX said:

Feels like I might've wasted my time.

Unfortunately,yeah. :(

The forums are the black sheep for some reason. We've been labeled toxic (for reasons I still don't understand) and were pretty much told by Ben (community manager) that forums are a dying thing and we don't matter. 

Seriously...

2 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:

Unfortunately,yeah. :(

The forums are the black sheep for some reason. We've been labeled toxic (for reasons I still don't understand) and were pretty much told by Ben (community manager) that forums are a dying thing and we don't matter. 

Seriously...

Yet the majority of Overwatch's news is distributed by two or three people on its official forum. But, you know, that game has only sold 30 million copies in less than a year, so...we're a small team and don't have the resources to post all in one place. Also, Blizzard can have an official forum and only post on it because they are Blizzard and we are a small indie company trying to build our name with a global franchise. Yet there are starving children in Africa who have never heard of us. 

So, I copied this over to Reddit, which I never used... and the formatting went all FUBAR. Which I can't seem to fix. For some reason it looks good enough when I use the "edit" function on Reddit but as soon as I click on "save", it's all weird again. Ugh...

3 minutes ago, pRaX said:

So, I copied this over to Reddit, which I never used... and the formatting went all FUBAR. Which I can't seem to fix. For some reason it looks good enough when I use the "edit" function on Reddit but as soon as I click on "save", it's all weird again. Ugh...

Which is why i dont use it.  Also, I'm not a bird so i don't tweet.  Facebook.....social wasteland.  There are some really good people here, but unfortunately the forum just doesn't get a lot of visits from wes, randy, etc.  Jpops and ben are good about responding most of the time.  These may be some questions they can't answer though.  Idk.  

I mean, I could send an e-mail but I feel like there should be more questions gathered first. I don't want to harass them with e-mail after e-mail everytime I add another question to the list.

I guess we just let this grow for a couple of days on here and then I'll send it to them.

Oh and about Reddit.. already instant regrets

The forum is more or less an afterthought. The publishers at Gun are still in hype mode and haven't realized you don't release info in the same manner as generating "hype" on social media platforms.

And they feel like you guys on here are toxic and ill mannered?

f07352abd0.png

Someone didn't even bother to read... one would think he would though. Again, instant regrets about that Reddit thing.

While yes, there are some answers about those two... but they fit exactly what I describe in this very thread. They are very vague / strangely written / not quite clear and conclusive... very inconsistent... just like many things in the game. Quite baffling and yet I start to see a pattern...