Sign in to follow this  
Kagato

How about a female counselor with more strength?

So far mainly the guys have the strength to knock out Jason more easily. Why not have a girl with at least 5 strength since currently Vanessa has the most at a mere 4. Could be a tomboy type or a gym rat. Doesn't need to be She-Hulk, but someone with average to above-average strength.

Perhaps a Male counselor with extremely high composure to even it out since currently the guy with the highest composure rating is at 7/10.

• Like 4

The stereotypes of characters was a bit surprising when the stats came out.  not a deal breaker, but I was a little shocked.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kagato said:

So far mainly the guys have the strength to knock out Jason more easily. Why not have a girl with at least 5 strength since currently Vanessa has the most at a mere 4. Could be a tomboy type or a gym rat. Doesn't need to be She-Hulk, but someone with average to above-average strength.

Perhaps a Male counselor with extremely high composure to even it out since currently the guy with the highest composure rating is at 7/10.

because in movies, the stereotypes of females are usually feminine, rarely do you see a butch type

instead of creating another character, we should just be able to make our own

• Like 2

Being able to make our own would be amazing. But I'm not sure how op it would be. I think every character has 45 stat points just allocated differently. So if we got 45.

(Maybe even 40to make it balanced because it may be overpowering)

to allocate our self would be nice. I do feel that luck is a usless stat at the moment to I'd like to see that reworked a bit. The main part of the stat is increased weapon durability and the only character with really good luck is Jenny and her strength is really bad so it doesn't exactly help with anything. 

my initial gut reaction is "In ANY friday the 13th movie, have we met a human female character who is physically stronger than your average human man"?

no, no we haven't so this is a nonissue. All the characters in this game are based on characters and/or archetypes that we've seen in the films. 

• Like 1

Yes please, I like playing as Jenny Myers cause she seems more like the final girl and some of the final girls in the Friday movies fight back stunning Jason like, Ginny Field in Part 2, Chris Higgins in Part 3, and Trish Jarvis in Part 4. Her strength needs to increase. 

They should make a stoner counselor. His composure and stealth would be high, because he's chill, but his repair skill would suck. He'd be slow as fuck too with a 1 speed, but his stamina would let him run for days. Luck would be just under his stamina rate. Strength would be his second worst stat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, klipsch said:

They should make a stoner counselor. His composure and stealth would be high, because he's chill, but his repair skill would suck. He'd be slow as fuck too with a 1 speed, but his stamina would let him run for days. Luck would be just under his stamina rate. Strength would be his second worst stat.

I like that idea lol

8 hours ago, IamNoc said:

my initial gut reaction is "In ANY friday the 13th movie, have we met a human female character who is physically stronger than your average human man"?

no, no we haven't so this is a nonissue. All the characters in this game are based on characters and/or archetypes that we've seen in the films. 

Think you defeated your own point. None of them are stronger than the average human man. We only have average human men in the game, so there is no reason to be without a female as strong as these average men in the game. After being chased for quite a while by Jason in Part 3, Chris shuffled across a beam in the barn and hung above him...that would take considerable strength. Some might even say the strength of an average human man. ?

A female character with more strength would make no difference with the way that the game is right now. Strength is a useless skill right now, because certain things like stun are only determined by the weapon you are using. For example a character with level 1 strength can stun Jason every time you attack using the bat which has the highest stun in the game so theres no point in having a higher strength when you can stun him regardless of strength level.

1 hour ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Think you defeated your own point. None of them are stronger than the average human man. We only have average human men in the game, so there is no reason to be without a female as strong as these average men in the game. After being chased for quite a while by Jason in Part 3, Chris shuffled across a beam in the barn and hung above him...that would take considerable strength. Some might even say the strength of an average human man. ?

To be fair she's lighter and she couldn't maintain her grip and fell. Chris' strength failed her. 

22 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

To be fair she's lighter and she couldn't maintain her grip and fell. Chris' strength failed her. 

You again, Risingchad. She held onto the beam for over a minute and purposefully dropped onto him, knocking him over. Name any other character in the series that showed her strength. Rob in Part 4, a much "stronger" man, got manhandled and proceeded to yell his infamous "He's killing me!" lines. There is a precedent for strong female characters, not just with composure, as it is typically them that deliver the final blow which is why we call them "final girls."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

You again, Risingchad. She held onto the beam for over a minute and purposefully dropped onto him, knocking him over. Name any other character in the series that showed her strength. Rob in Part 4, a much "stronger" man, got manhandled and proceeded to yell his infamous "He's killing me!" lines. There is a precedent for strong female characters, not just with composure, as it is typically them that deliver the final blow which is why we call them "final girls."

She did turn a negative (falling off the beam) into a positive (putting boot to face) but based on the look on Chris' face, she didn't want to fall.  

As far as physical strength, Paul grappled with Jason. So did Tommy, though he had the benefit of Jason lacking a base. (Jason was draped over a boat) And Steven wrecked Jason multiple times in JgtH. (shitty movie, but canon) 

Women are tough in F13, but they are also lucky and canny. Ginny would have died without Paul. Chris without Ali. Trish without Tommy. Megan without Tommy. And while I'm not 100% I bet Renny and Tina had some help too. Hell Jason 8 was defeated via deus ex machina. Steve was a damned terminator in Jgth as was Sgt Brodski in Jason X. 

I personally don't have an issue with a stronger gal, but I don't feel it reflects the series well, and there are tropes I'd prefer to it.  

18 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

She did turn a negative (falling off the beam) into a positive (putting boot to face) but based on the look on Chris' face, she didn't want to fall.  

As far as physical strength, Paul grappled with Jason. So did Tommy, though he had the benefit of Jason lacking a base. (Jason was draped over a boat) And Steven wrecked Jason multiple times in JgtH. (shitty movie, but canon) 

Women are tough in F13, but they are also lucky and canny. Ginny would have died without Paul. Chris without Ali. Trish without Tommy. Megan without Tommy. And while I'm not 100% I bet Renny and Tina had some help too. Hell Jason 8 was defeated via deus ex machina. Steve was a damned terminator in Jgth as was Sgt Brodski in Jason X. 

I personally don't have an issue with a stronger gal, but I don't feel it reflects the series well, and there are tropes I'd prefer to it.  

It's debatable if Chris would have died without Ali. Which we have done.

Tommy would have died without Megan. Tommy would have died without Trish. Steve would have died without Jessica. So...what we are both saying is...men and women are equal in the films? 

To save us time, when you say that they are equal in different ways, I am going to counter with Jessica pulling Steve from Jason's grip as he was being dragged to hell. 

Side note, I think AJ is the only trope in the game that fits the series(and her character was only in two films). The rest don't have any true counterparts. And nothing to do with the topic, we all know Ginny and maybe Paul only survived because they weren't there when he did the killing.

10 hours ago, Ban_All_Music said:

It's debatable if Chris would have died without Ali. Which we have done.

Tommy would have died without Megan. Tommy would have died without Trish. Steve would have died without Jessica. So...what we are both saying is...men and women are equal in the films? 

To save us time, when you say that they are equal in different ways, I am going to counter with Jessica pulling Steve from Jason's grip as he was being dragged to hell. 

Side note, I think AJ is the only trope in the game that fits the series(and her character was only in two films). The rest don't have any true counterparts. And nothing to do with the topic, we all know Ginny and maybe Paul only survived because they weren't there when he did the killing.

I don't know Chris is debatable. She had pretty much gone into "accept my death" mode even if she was crying "No!" Jason was just about on her. 

And yeah, men and women are more of less equal. But not in the same ways most of the time. Jessica was Sarah Connor combat ready, but JgtH was goofy. Trish saved Tommy via bravery and a hammer. Megan saved Tommy via CPR and used a boat propeller. 

And if we were comparing the kids from the game to the movies, I think Chad Douchington is Trent from the reboot. Jenny reminds me of Chris. Adam reminds me of that writer dude from part 7 mixed with Rob from 4. Kenny takes Rick's or Paul's slot. I could probably find somebody each trope reminded me of.

I'd wager A.J. reminds you of Violet from New Beginning and JJ from Manhattan?

Mainly the "strong" women tend to be the ones who fight back and win, in the horror movies, don't they?

Like the Rise of Leslie Vernon chick :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

I don't know Chris is debatable. She had pretty much gone into "accept my death" mode even if she was crying "No!" Jason was just about on her. 

And yeah, men and women are more of less equal. But not in the same ways most of the time. Jessica was Sarah Connor combat ready, but JgtH was goofy. Trish saved Tommy via bravery and a hammer. Megan saved Tommy via CPR and used a boat propeller. 

And if we were comparing the kids from the game to the movies, I think Chad Douchington is Trent from the reboot. Jenny reminds me of Chris. Adam reminds me of that writer dude from part 7 mixed with Rob from 4. Kenny takes Rick's or Paul's slot. I could probably find somebody each trope reminded me of.

I'd wager A.J. reminds you of Violet from New Beginning and JJ from Manhattan?

I think the guy above our debate destroyed both of us by pointing out that strength doesn't really work anyway. ?

Yes, Trent from the most beloved entry in the franchise...the Platinum Dunes remake, who were notorious for reinventing classics in great ways that could be compared to Carpenter's The Thing. We should definitely be reminded of that every time we play. And he should also be the poster boy for the game! 

Adam has to only remind you of Rob in physique only. If we want to go with any trope repeated more than once or twice in the films, other than the final girl...then the jokester trope would win. Ned in Part 1, Ted in 2, Shelley in 3, Teddy in 4, etc etc. Four examples and maybe one or two the counselors in the game remind you of. A bit off-topic, but related to your comparisons. 

Jenny reminds me more of Vera in 3 than Chris. The only comparison I can make between Kenny and Paul is...they both wear flannel? 

On topic, you don't need a muscular woman or anything. Or even a 8-10/10 strength female since we already have those characters. Vanessa is the highest with 4/10. A 6 or 7/10 would suffice and not be unrealistic. The problem with judging if the women in the films were strong or not is that if they weren't the final girl, they were typically blindsided by Jason and didn't have a chance to fight back. If he had them in his grip, they fought as well as the men...which doesn't help either since they were killed as fast as the women. 

Edit- Off-topic and not related, inserted for humorous purposes since Platinum Dunes were brought up...why do all the women have Jessica Biel's butt from Chainsaw remake? Their jeans and body shapes are actually a lot closer to hers than any of the Friday women as well...hmmm. 

They could always have a female biker of some sort. I'd assume she'd have more strength than the other females in the game. I'd be all for it.

I remember seeing a girl in an orange sport's bra and long hair in one of the concept art images. The one where Chad is getting his head crushed by Jason Part 2. She had a pickaxe in her shoulder. She could be a good candidate.

If Fox gets added as a counselor then she can be the one with more strength.

As for strength not mattering, I have heard that strength effects the duration of stuns. It also is partly linked to the break free mechanic(not that that even matters anyway).

On 6/4/2017 at 2:44 PM, Menacemaddness said:

Being able to make our own would be amazing. But I'm not sure how op it would be. I think every character has 45 stat points just allocated differently. So if we got 45.

Actually, every counselor has 35 stat points, allocated differently. I think it would be awesome if we could design our own characters. I'm sure we would have to use one of the pre-existing skins, or maybe Gun could design one male and one female generic skin to be used for custom characters. I'm sure it would be a lot of work, but it sure would be exciting to design a counselor to fit an individual's gameplay style.

I think if they end up making Gloria, she'll more than likely have a lot more strength compared to the other girls in the game.

There's an on-going topic on new characters and it even includes a poll on what people want: 

As many others, I also felt like there is a very common horror character trope we still lack: The Alpha Bitch (listed as Mean Girl in the poll). The superior acting blonde girl who bosses everyone around and rules her school. Like Chad but more fierce. I posted my thoughts on how I see the trope and even made a set of stats for her. She ended up looking like something between Chad and Kenny. Strength was one of the stats I started to build her around:

Composure: 2 Luck: 9 Repair: 5 Speed: 5 Stamina: 6 Stealth: 3 Strength: 5

Apparently my suggestion of strength of 5 was a little controversial judging by the replies I got on the another thread but I felt like the trope usually involves her being the leader of a sports team: most often she's the head of the cheerleaders. Friday the 13th franchise fails to represent this element of the trope but I'm speaking generally. Cheer-leading alone, in my opinion, should justify higher strength perfectly. She has to be able to lift other people and she is acrobatic.
I also thought she should go down fighting. Generally the bitchy girls tend to either die hopelessly without a struggle or after a long stand-off. I felt like the latter, to my experience, is still the more common way for them to go.

Everyone is also supposed to be envious of her in absolutely everything. They want to be that girl. That's why they follow her around like sheep. While it is usually proven wrong later on, she appears to be perfect on the outside and she seems to excel at everything she does. She's looked up to in sports and academics alike (latter might be result of cheating but that's not really an option in athletics) and even in her appearance.

As for some other stats, I gave her repair(/intelligence) of 5 as she is very manipulative. She controls the people around her and has them run tasks for her. For the same reason she has composure of 2: just enough so she has the guts to throw insults at the killer but she's still severely crippled when her lackeys have been killed off and she has ended up alone. While strength is, at the moment, a stat reserved for the boys, stealth seems to be it's counterpart for the girls. To balance that out, I left it low.

Oh, and strength only affects the melee damage (removing of Jason's mask) and getting out of Jason's grip according to the excellent research done by Steam user Rydog. (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938559619)

Edited by D00las
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2017 at 10:39 PM, Kagato said:

Yeah I was under the impression that men are both more composed and stronger than women. But hey, maybe that's just sexism.

I think as for videogame purposes, it would be super cool to see a strong woman. I know Gun had interest in Gloria Charles' Fox character. I think us men could stand to have a woman featured with strength 7 or 8. Also doesn't composure usually come with strength? Considering that strong people are less likely to be scared by physical threats, because strong people tend to believe that they can handle those kinds of threats.

Umm I'm thinking Fox would be a:

Strength: 7

Repair: 7

Stealth: 3

Composure: 6

Luck: 3

Stamina: 4

Speed: 5

Edited by Pikalicious
  • Like 1

Get a Zarya crossover going. Gravitron Surge would be tremendously helpful when Jason's hanging around the car.

Vanessa's actually one of the stronger counselors in the game, despite only having a 4. They're kinda held back by the tropes from the films, but a female fitness/weightlifter type would be a fun archetype. Like Debbie Stevens from the Nightmare on Elm Street series, that kinda thing?

• Like 1