Ih8teamers

When the game gives Tommy to a low player noob

It is so frustrating when you know you would ve killed a Jason or at least got objectives done if you got Tommy and not some low level player. I get it new players will never learn how to play as Tommy if they never get him but sometimes I wish the game would favor the higher level player or made you least get a certain level before you could become Tommy.

I bet that when you're Jason, you don't mind it when that Level 3 Tommy spawns in and runs around the map like a confused chipmunk. Most matches where your trying to kill Jason, the hardest part is trying to find Jason's ass and make sure he kills you first before he finds the noobs, and pray you don't wind up with a shitty Tommy. Hell, it's often the only hard part, so why take that risk away? Killing Jason is too easy as it is, and this is from someone who is often falling on the sword for my squad to get Tommy and is often left frustrated at watching the other guy come back. I used to feel the same way, that the higher level should get at least some type of priority in the selection process, but that tune changed once I realized how much chaos implementing a mechanic like that would cause. Jason Hunters would be tanking and throwing themselves at Jason immediately, knowing they were basically guaranteed to get Tommy unless a player of the same level dies too, and killing Jason would become even more ridiculously easy than it already is. It' was mainly for this reason they disqualified players who suicide from drawing Tommy, since players where killing themselves as soon the match started hoping to draw Tommy without having to take the death to do it.

Now from Jason's perspective, the best defense against the kill is drawing a shitty Tommy. If I see a 150 Bugzsy coming at me with a machete wanting to fight, or an obvious kill squad in the lobby, those assholes aren't dying first. I'm going to find the LV3 goober hiding under the bed, or some other rando, and wish that squad good luck with whoever they draw. The good squads will adapt, hold their own, and have a back up plan. The wanabe's will fold like tents or rage quit like little pussies when they don't get their way.

It still shocks me, out of the hundreds of times I've let Jason kill me trying to draw Tommy, only two have been smart enough not to take the free kill. I messaged a guy props just the other day for being smart enough not to take the free kill when I offered myself up to him. He knew exactly what I was doing, said hell no, and left me to limp around the map. I respected the shit out of that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

I bet that when you're Jason, you don't mind it when that Level 3 Tommy spawns in and runs around the map like a confused chipmunk. Most matches where your trying to kill Jason, the hardest part is trying to find Jason's ass and make sure he kills you first before he finds the noobs, and pray you don't wind up with a shitty Tommy. Hell, it's often the only hard part, so why take that risk away? Killing Jason is too easy as it is, and this is from someone who is often falling on the sword for my squad to get Tommy and is often left frustrated at watching the other guy come back. I used to feel the same way, that the higher level should get at least some type of priority in the selection process, but that tune changed once I realized how much chaos implementing a mechanic like that would cause. Jason Hunters would be tanking and throwing themselves at Jason immediately, knowing they were basically guaranteed to get Tommy unless a player of the same level dies too, and killing Jason would become even more ridiculously easy than it already is. It' was mainly for this reason they disqualified players who suicide from drawing Tommy, since players where killing themselves as soon the match started hoping to draw Tommy without having to take the death to do it.

Now from Jason's perspective, the best defense against the kill is drawing a shitty Tommy. If I see a 150 Bugzsy coming at me with a machete wanting to fight, or an obvious kill squad in the lobby, those assholes aren't dying first. I'm going to find the LV3 goober hiding under the bed, or some other rando, and wish that squad good luck with whoever they draw. The good squads will adapt, hold their own, and have a back up plan. The wanabe's will fold like tents or rage quit like little pussies when they don't get their way.

It still shocks me, out of the hundreds of times I've let Jason kill me trying to draw Tommy, only two have been smart enough not to take the free kill. I messaged a guy props just the other day for being smart enough not to take the free kill when I offered myself up to him. He knew exactly what I was doing, said hell no, and left me to limp around the map. I respected the shit out of that. 

Have your buddy set a bear trap for you. Do enough window damage to yourself so that one bear trap will kill you. Step in the trap. Now you've technically suicided, but since you didn't set the trap, you're still eligible to be Jarvis.

If the Jason hasn't gotten any early kills, have someone run you over with a car. This works especially well if someone is about to escape and Jason hasn't killed anyone yet. You're 100% guaranteed to be Jarvis if you're the only one that's died and someone escapes before Jason gets his second kill. There's more than one way to skin a cat...

30 minutes ago, Somethin Cool said:

Have your buddy set a bear trap for you. Do enough window damage to yourself so that one bear trap will kill you. Step in the trap. Now you've technically suicided, but since you didn't set the trap, you're still eligible to be Jarvis.

I'm surprised I don't see this tactic more often. I don't do this personally, but occasionally on Packanack when the car and fuse spawn next to each other, I'll wait until Jason morphs away and then take all the traps he's set and kill myself that way. If somebody's left the match and Tommy's been called, it's almost a guarantee I'm going to do it. The Jason player never seems too happy with me when I pull this. 😏

I'd be lying if I said I never threw myself in front of a car to get Tommy, though that's pretty rare. Involves one of my favorite teamer stories actually. If we're being honest though, if one of the cars gets started before Jason gets any kills, he's probably not worth killing to begin with. I'd just as soon fight Jason a bit and let him have his kill if I'm just going to come back and make his life miserable anyway.

7 minutes ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

if one of the cars gets started before Jason gets any kills, he's probably not worth killing to begin with. I'd just as soon fight Jason a bit and let him have his kill if I'm just going to come back and make his life miserable anyway.

Yeah, I reserve tactics like that for teamers. Otherwise I find it a lot more fun to survive the night. I never set out to kill an average Jason. I've had so many Jason kills that it's just not a big deal anymore.

Although occasionally I'll put one out of his misery if everything comes together just right. In my opinion he's fair game if he has weapon swap. And I'll put a little extra effort in if he Tommy boxes.

It's survival of the fittest as far as I'm concerned. Fear=weakness. You show me you're afraid of dying and I'll do my best to see to it that you die.

INAG is correct, it IS too easy to kill Jason. Believe it or not, most of the time Jason ends up unwittingly helping the counselors, usually by:

A) Repeatedly grabbing counselors while surrounded.

B] Spamming grab (when it's just one person, not a group) and giving whoever he's chasing the chance to punish him when he misses.

C) Wading through a mob of counselors while blindly swinging his weapon.

D) Running maskless into an enclosed space despite knowing that Tommy and Sweater-Girl are inside.

E) Never even attempting to block.

And, as someone already said, taking the bait and killing someone who is clearly trying to die. In my opinion, this is probably the single biggest reason Jsson-kills succeed. Most Jason's are going to fall for this every single time no matter how obvious it is. 

If you've been in the lobby for several games in a row and have seen the same people body-bag Jason after Jason, for the love of God, leave them alone until there are at least two randoms dead. I know it's tempting to take the free kill 30 seconds in but come the fuck ON! Did it not occur to you that a kill-squad that's already killed numerous Jason's will probably try to kill you too?

I find the criteria for Tommy selection is about as good as they could have made it.  I do think it is fair to give one of the first two players to die a chance at becoming Tommy and I don't think it should be based on the player's level.  Cause honestly, being level 150 means absolutely nothing when it comes to skill level or how useful they will be as Tommy.  Being level 150 just means you have played a lot of matches.  Nothing more.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I usually am) but I believe this is the criteria for selecting Tommy once he has been called. 

- Tommy will not show up until at least 2 counselors have died, escaped or quit the game. (regardless of how many counselors there are at the start of the match. ie - If there are only 2 counselors when the match starts, Tommy will not show up until they are both dead/escaped/quit)

- If 2 or more counselors have died the game will randomly pick one of them to be Tommy (I can't say for sure that it is actually "random")

- If 2 counselors escape before anyone dies, one of them will become Tommy. (I think this is only partially true.  There is some delay on Tommy actually showing up so it is possible that a 3rd counselor dies before Tommy shows up and if so, that 3rd counselor will be Tommy)

- If the first counselor escapes, commits suicide or quits, the next counselor to die will automatically become Tommy. (This is usually how I become Tommy.  If I see someone quit the match and I feel like playing as Tommy I may die on purpose because I am guaranteed to be Tommy unless it is still really early in the match)

- If the first two counselors to die committed suicide...tbh idk what happens.  I have yet to see it.  I'm assuming once Tommy is ready to show up that one of the two suiciders will become Tommy (just like 2 escaped counselors can become Tommy).

The one thing I don't know is if there is a set time delay on Tommy showing up.  Like if a call is made at the very start of the match and two counselors die right away it still takes a number of minutes before Tommy will show up.  Whereas if you call Tommy later in the match while a bunch of people have already died he will show up immediately.  So I assume that Tommy will not show up until at least 5 min (or however long) have gone by in the match.

16 hours ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

If we're being honest though, if one of the cars gets started before Jason gets any kills, he's probably not worth killing to begin with.

I disagree. I have gotten the car started before Jason's Shift even unlocked on both CL small and HH small. It isn't a regular occurrence but it's still very much possible. If you spawn in the SE corner of HH small, the cabin right beside the car almost always has either keys or a repair part. If a second cabin spawns right next to that one, it also is probably going to have keys or a part. Get the keys from one, a part from the other, then run to the barn where there is a very high chance of finding either gas or a battery, run back to the car, install part, use the keys, and drive past Jason who has literally no chance of stopping you.

If you're on CL small, the garage and boathouse will both most likely have keys or a part, and there's a pretty good chance of the building that always spawns North of the garage having one or the other also.

Getting a car started before Jason gets a kill isn't a reflection of Jason's skill, it's a reflection of a counselors skill + good RNG. 10/10 repair counselors who know the maps well are severely underestimated. A Debbie or LaChappa who got lucky with repair part spawns is a far bigger threat than any Vanessa or Buggzy could ever hope to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I disagree. I have gotten the car started before Jason's Shift even unlocked on both CL small and HH small. It isn't a regular occurrence but it's still very much possible. If you spawn in the SE corner of HH small, the cabin right beside the car almost always has either keys or a repair part. If a second cabin spawns right next to that one, it also is probably going to have keys or a part. Get the keys from one, a part from the other, then run to the barn where there is a very high chance of finding either gas or a battery, run back to the car, install part, use the keys, and drive past Jason who has literally no chance of stopping you.

If you're on CL small, the garage and boathouse will both most likely have keys or a part, and there's a pretty good chance of the building that always spawns North of the garage having one or the other also.

Getting a car started before Jason gets a kill isn't a reflection of Jason's skill, it's a reflection of a counselors skill + good RNG. 10/10 repair counselors who know the maps well are severely underestimated. A Debbie or LaChappa who got lucky with repair part spawns is a far bigger threat than any Vanessa or Buggzy could ever hope to be.

Yeah, there's always exceptions. CL Small is the one map I'm sometimes tempted to morph to the car by the garage before the fuse box, for that exact reason. If I don't, 4/10 there's already going to be a part inside that car before I get my ass over there. 

6 hours ago, Laotian Lam said:

The one thing I don't know is if there is a set time delay on Tommy showing up.  Like if a call is made at the very start of the match and two counselors die right away it still takes a number of minutes before Tommy will show up.  Whereas if you call Tommy later in the match while a bunch of people have already died he will show up immediately.  So I assume that Tommy will not show up until at least 5 min (or however long) have gone by in the match.

No, I don't believe there's any set delay to when Tommy can spawn in as long as the conditions have been met. If you watch HaHaTrump's video above, you'll see Tommy spawn in at the 2:49 mark, and I've witnessed Tommy spawn in just over two minutes into the match. There does seem to be some inconsistences with how fast Tommy spawns in at times. I've been in the middle of being killed, and heard Tommy's music start up as I spawned in, and other times I've sat there and it felt like we had to wait for up to a minute before Tommy finally spawned in. I've also allowed myself to die in what should've been a guaranteed Tommy situation, only to watch someone else get killed seconds after me, and that person winds up getting Tommy. 

1 hour ago, I'm Not a Goalie said:

No, I don't believe there's any set delay to when Tommy can spawn in as long as the conditions have been met. If you watch HaHaTrump's video above, you'll see Tommy spawn in at the 2:49 mark, and I've witnessed Tommy spawn in just over two minutes into the match. There does seem to be some inconsistences with how fast Tommy spawns in at times. I've been in the middle of being killed, and heard Tommy's music start up as I spawned in, and other times I've sat there and it felt like we had to wait for up to a minute before Tommy finally spawned in. I've also allowed myself to die in what should've been a guaranteed Tommy situation, only to watch someone else get killed seconds after me, and that person winds up getting Tommy. 

I've never understood why the spawn-in seems to random. Sometimes you can have 3+ people dead for several minutes before Tommy is selected, and sometimes you can be the first one to die and respawn before the death animation's even over. Most of the time it seems like if you die first, and somebody else dies a minute or two later, it might take 4-5 minutes for Tommy to spawn. If you die first and it takes 5+ minutes for someone else to die, you tend to get the cutscene as soon as the second person is dead.

4 hours ago, HaHaTrumpWon said:

I've never understood why the spawn-in seems to random. Sometimes you can have 3+ people dead for several minutes before Tommy is selected, and sometimes you can be the first one to die and respawn before the death animation's even over. Most of the time it seems like if you die first, and somebody else dies a minute or two later, it might take 4-5 minutes for Tommy to spawn. If you die first and it takes 5+ minutes for someone else to die, you tend to get the cutscene as soon as the second person is dead.

Maybe it was coded with a random timer? That's my best guess.

• Like 1