Strigoi

Friday the 13th was one of the most successful Horror Games ever.

Friday the 13th the game was one of the most successful horror games ever.

Friday the 13th the game sold very well and in other countries.

But with the demand so high and fans so hungry for more Friday the 13th in video games why would a company just drop everything they did and never touch that title again.

I Understand the lawsuit is the main reason.

But after the lawsuit is settled why wash your hands of the title completely unless it is a nightmare working with Horror inc and getting parts of the game design approved.

Im hoping that another company makes a second instalment of Friday the 13th after the lawsuit is settled.

See new Tweets

Conversation

f7wugRVH_bigger.jpg

I went from playing games, to writing about games, to consulting on games, to making games. I was allowed to touch one of the largest most successful horror IPs in the world. Yep, it’s been a complete waste of my time.

Nobody wants to touch this franchise.  They haven't for a long time. They're certainly not going to want to after what's happened with this game. It's easy to make a character in a hockey mask, throw it into a game and call it Jason Voorhees. But to make an actual Friday the 13th game with everything in it like they did with this one, probably won't ever happen again. 

Why won't they continue with content? New games sell. New games make money. Old games don't. Could they charge for dlc and make money that way? Yes. But then they'd have to maintain it.

The coding in this game is a ticking time bomb. That's why they wont revamp the perks. Or even loosen up the perk roll to get higher odds of good perks. There's a good chance if they touch anything they'll have to completely rework it from scratch. And there would still be a chance of it not working. I'd imagine that goes with any other part of the game as well. Without the original coders they're pretty well screwed.

Overall it was a good idea. Not the best execution, but hindsight is 20/20. In any case, how many times can you kill or escape Jason before you lose interest?

Even with new content here and there it'd end up being something like GTA. They release content. People play for a month or so. Lose interest. Move on. They release more new content. Rinse and repeat til the end of time.

But unlike Friday, GTA is big enough to do that. How many Jason's, kill packs, clothing packs, and maps could they possibly release? There were only 10 movies that they have licensing for. 

The only reason I still play is competitive play. Random quick play bs was mind numbingly boring a long time ago. It'll be ok. Life will continue long after this game dies.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Somethin Cool said:

is 20/20. In any case, how many times can you kill or escape Jason before you lose interest?

Even with new content here and there it'd end up being something like GTA. They release content. People play for a month or so. Lose interest. Move on. They release more new content. Rinse and repeat til the end of time.

But unlike Friday, GTA is big enough to do that. How many Jason's, kill packs, clothing packs, and maps could they possibly release? There were only 10 movies that they have licensing for. 

The only reason I still play is competitive play. Random quick play bs was mind numbingly boring a long time ago. It'll be ok. Life will continue long after this game dies.

GTA is a mess...  and has been for a while.         

As far as this game goes, clothing and kill packs could have been sold for a very long time.   And they could have made a killing off that.  Its not like this is the same kind of game as GTA.

For me im the opposite.  It was playing competitive that made me almost quit playing because its so boring.  It was public games that made me enjoy the game.  Public game always feel more wild and chaotic.  Its why i always say this game isn't competitive.

5 hours ago, Strigoi said:

Friday the 13th the game was one of the most successful horror games ever.

Friday the 13th the game sold very well and in other countries.

But with the demand so high and fans so hungry for more Friday the 13th in video games why would a company just drop everything they did and never touch that title again.

I Understand the lawsuit is the main reason.

But after the lawsuit is settled why wash your hands of the title completely unless it is a nightmare working with Horror inc and getting parts of the game design approved.

Im hoping that another company makes a second instalment of Friday the 13th after the lawsuit is settled.

If i was in charge...   The lawsuit wouldn't matter.    

And, This game..  Is basically an underground type of hit.  Tons of people play it.

And the game devs dropped the ball BIG TIME by not selling costume and kill packs.   Even before the law suit.

Not that the lawsuit now matters..  

Id just contact both lawyers and tell them 'We are still putting out content for this game while you two fight amongst yourselves'.

• Like 1

Gun Media is a small company, and they have to hire programmers and developers. For them to pay these programmers and developers to wait til the lawsuit clears, is a business disaster that would make no money sense at all. That is why Wes made the decision to move on. It is not a lack of passion or love for the series for them. I know most all of them, and it was a very hard decision, but Wes had to make the decision that kept the employees fed and checks rolling in at the end of the day. It was basically either go broke waiting and everyone have no job or decide to move on and work on other things to keep Gun afloat. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

If i was in charge...   The lawsuit wouldn't matter.    

And, This game..  Is basically an underground type of hit.  Tons of people play it.

And the game devs dropped the ball BIG TIME by not selling costume and kill packs.   Even before the law suit.

Not that the lawsuit now matters..  

Id just contact both lawyers and tell them 'We are still putting out content for this game while you two fight amongst yourselves'.

How is Friday the 13th the game an underground HIT.

The game went International and sold well in Walmart and Gamestop beyond Wes Keltners wildest dreams.

I Do not Understand why Wes Keltner thinks that Friday the 13th the game was a complete waste of his time.

Friday the 13th the game made Gun Media a famous company and a million dollar company overnight.

There is a HUGE Following and Fan base for Horror games like Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight.

In Fact After the lawsuit it makes no sense for Wes Keltner to refuse to make an add on pack available for Friday the 13th the game when the DEMAND For this game is so high.

I Just cant figure out why Gun Media just completly dropped Friday the 13th. because after the lawsuit is over Gun could make millions on a new Friday the 13th the game title.

Yep, can’t wrap my head around it either? New maps, counsellors, clothing, perks, Uber Jason, and new car/boat locations, would probably increase sales of the entire game dramatically, DLC’s notwithstanding. My understanding is that the folks at GM didn’t realize the potential for this game to be as popular as it was, so getting it “right” the first time, wasn’t a priority? Regardless, I think the impending lawsuit probably killed it, once word got out to GM(effing lawyers!!!). Such a shame, because this is the only game in my collection that has me coming back for more, regardless of being XP topped out? It’s very addictive, and extremely fun when playing with combination of noobs and vets. Can’t count how many times I’d help out new players chances of escaping, or leave them behind for Jason to kill lol!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strigoi said:

How is Friday the 13th the game an underground HIT.

The game went International and sold well in Walmart and Gamestop beyond Wes Keltners wildest dreams.

Im not talking about sales...

Its not a mainstream game.     And for me, the opposite of mainstream is just underground.

2 hours ago, HuDawg said:

That would totally end the game.Doing something against a IP owners OK will just get you sued or your licensing agreement immediately cancelled and any type of online playing ability taken away,the game would truly be dead.

• Like 1

Just now, TimDuke 01 said:

That would totally end the game.Doing something against a IP owners OK will just get you sued or your licensing agreement immediately cancelled and any type of online playing ability taken away,the game would truly be dead.

Unless they actually agreed with me.

Im sure i could easily work something out..    Be it the easy way, or the hard way.   

8 hours ago, Strigoi said:

See new Tweets

Conversation

f7wugRVH_bigger.jpg

I went from playing games, to writing about games, to consulting on games, to making games. I was allowed to touch one of the largest most successful horror IPs in the world. Yep, it’s been a complete waste of my time.

You do know that the way you shared @wes twitter post, it makes the reader read it out of context, right? He wasn’t saying that this game was a waste of his time, it was in response to Joe Rogan’s remarks of video games being a waste of time. 

• Thanks 2

I mean, idk how things are in other countries, but in Brazil, this game was one of the most popular when it launched. Channels with more than 10M subs use upload F13 the game content weekly. What really killed the game was the lawsuit. I remember that it usually took 5min to fill a private lobby, but after mid-2018 quick play was the only option. But till this day channels with 500k-1M subs upload F13 content at least once per month, and new players still keep appearing. Idk man, this game is fucking great, I don't even like most of Jason movies and I love this game; probably the best game I've ever played. If they decide to do F13 the game part 2, at least in my country, I can guarantee that it's going to be a huge success.

Everybody likes this game, even after the goddamn lawsuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

You do know that the way you shared @wes twitter post, it makes the reader read it out of context, right? He wasn’t saying that this game was a waste of his time, it was in response to Joe Rogan’s remarks of video games being a waste of time. 

Ok well Wes Keltner does point out in this post that he was allowed to touch one of the most successful largest Horror intellectual properties in the world.

The point im making here is why would Gun Media just up and leave this Friday the 13th game and allow another company to cash in and take over after the law suit is over.

This Friday the 13th game has had a HUGE Impact on the franchise and rekindled interest in The Friday the 13th franchise as a whole.

Plus There is a HUGE Market for a second instalment of this game from fans all over the world with Dead By Daylight and people still playing Friday the 13th.

Why leave and abandon the game when there is such a demand for a second friday the 13th game after the lawsuit is over.

The PROBLEM MUST BE WORKING WITH HORROR INC AND SEAN CUNNINGHAM.

MAYBE THINGS WOULD BE BETTER FOR A SECOND FRIDAY THE 13TH GAME IF VICTOR MILLER WAS IN CHARGE.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Carlso said:

I mean, idk how things are in other countries, but in Brazil, this game was one of the most popular when it launched. Channels with more than 10M subs use upload F13 the game content weekly. What really killed the game was the lawsuit. I remember that it usually took 5min to fill a private lobby, but after mid-2018 quick play was the only option. But till this day channels with 500k-1M subs upload F13 content at least once per month, and new players still keep appearing. Idk man, this game is fucking great, I don't even like most of Jason movies and I love this game; probably the best game I've ever played. If they decide to do F13 the game part 2, at least in my country, I can guarantee that it's going to be a huge success.

Everybody likes this game, even after the goddamn lawsuit.

I Agree this game was a MAJOR Success and it makes no sense for Gun media to never come back to Friday the 13th years down the road later after the lawsuit is over.

The only reason i see is that Wes Keltner must think this situation is such a Bad Cluster Fuck with the lawsuit that he never wants to work with Friday the 13th again.

The Demand for this Friday the 13th game and new content is still RAGING and after the lawsuit Gun media could just come back to the Friday the 13th title.

Why let the fans demand Sean Cunningham and Horror inc hire another production and design team to create another Friday the 13th game title.

I won't waste time arguing the reasoning as to why Gun stopped making content or have decided to move on from the franchise. We all the know the reasoning, most of us have researched the subject until we want to puke, so the only real debate is whether or not you want to accept that reason. (I begrudgingly do, though that doesn't mean i have to be happy about it)

Friday the 13th was extremely successfully, and in the end that was part of the problem... The game wasn't supposed to be as successful as it was.  Gun severely underestimate the amount of interest there would be in a Friday licensed product and wasn't prepared or well equipped to handle it in the beginning, and quite frankly, I don't think Horror Inc expected it either. Even if Gun could feasibly carry on with content for the game if they wanted too, at the end of the day it's Horror Inc.'s call on what content can be released and what can't. Right now, the game is probably not a priority for them with it's lowered earning potential, and honestly it's probably still a liability to the court case considering how well the game has sold in the past. You can release an action figure or a board game and try to excuse it in court by claiming you have to be releasing some kind of new content to keep Horror Inc. in business. It's harder to cry poverty when you're filming a movie, or supporting a Video Game that's already made you millions. 

Speaking purely for myself, I love this game despite it's many flaws and missteps, and I plan to enjoy it as much as I can until going back to P2P gradually hammers in the final death nail. If you're already disenfranchised or don't like the game, I don't understand why you're still here. Move on already. As much as I'd love to see a sequel,  it's very unlikely even when you discount the mess with the licensing. The way this game was designed made it kind of sequel proof to begin with, which is what made adding new content so vital to it's continued success. Unless you plan on drastically changing the game play, you're essentially releasing the same game with a few cosmetic changes. Maybe a new roster of counselors and the unreleased content we never got it in this game, but is that enough to justify asking gamers to shell out another 50-60 bucks for the completed polished game they were promised when they bought the first one? I still believe our only real hope of a revival for this game is to wait 4-5 years and hope somebody decides to take a chance and release a remastered version of this game on the next gen consoles that's more polished with all the missing content we were supposed to get in the original.  I'd buy it, but it's hard to predict what the interest level in a project like that would be. The boats probably already sailed on this vision of the game, but the interest in this license has been underestimated before. For now, let's just get our damn game fixed, so we can enjoy what little time we have left with it.

6 hours ago, Dragonfire82877 said:

Joe Rogan's show is a waste of time.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:04 PM, Dragonfire82877 said:

It is sarcasm. 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:05 AM, Somethin Cool said:

Nobody wants to touch this franchise.  They haven't for a long time. They're certainly not going to want to after what's happened with this game. It's easy to make a character in a hockey mask, throw it into a game and call it Jason Voorhees. But to make an actual Friday the 13th game with everything in it like they did with this one, probably won't ever happen again. 

Why won't they continue with content? New games sell. New games make money. Old games don't. Could they charge for dlc and make money that way? Yes. But then they'd have to maintain it.

The coding in this game is a ticking time bomb. That's why they wont revamp the perks. Or even loosen up the perk roll to get higher odds of good perks. There's a good chance if they touch anything they'll have to completely rework it from scratch. And there would still be a chance of it not working. I'd imagine that goes with any other part of the game as well. Without the original coders they're pretty well screwed.

Overall it was a good idea. Not the best execution, but hindsight is 20/20. In any case, how many times can you kill or escape Jason before you lose interest?

This is critical, but well said.

I'd also say that cosmetics and minor DLC and such does generate money, it's true. But think about whether that money is an offset to expenditures to keep things maintained, servers, and so on.

Then mix in a dash of the house of cards concept described here by @Somethin Cool and the lawsuit, which is still not only not settled, but something that would require a new renegotiation of the license, as per the statement from legal, and you have a bad business decision. A blatant one.

And let's be honest, you all love Friday the 13th: The Game. We love it too, believe me. But after detailing all that would be required to release some more clothing and such, how much more meat do you see on that bone? How much more franchise accurate, canonical content do you see that isn't included? Grendel, Jason X, but what more? And please don't say things like "Add in another killer" or "Add in a winter map" because we've already detailed our approach to the franchise and game as being one rooted in accuracy to the Friday the 13th world.

We could bicker about one or two more items to add in the actual property that aren't in game yet. But that's quite a few leaps and bounds to make for a couple more pieces of canon.

And, as much as it may whip up the speculation frenzy, let's be honest. There are more horror games to be made and more horror gaming experiences to still be had.

We love and appreciate the fans. But these frank and honest conversations have to be had. I hope you all can see the things I've detailed here and even if you don't fully agree, understand the position Gun has been in since we first were told to hold content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mattshotcha said:

This is critical, but well said.

I'd also say that cosmetics and minor DLC and such does generate money, it's true. But think about whether that money is an offset to expenditures to keep things maintained, servers, and so on.

Then mix in a dash of the house of cards concept described here by @Somethin Cool and the lawsuit, which is still not only not settled, but something that would require a new renegotiation of the license, as per the statement from legal, and you have a bad business decision. A blatant one.

And let's be honest, you all love Friday the 13th: The Game. We love it too, believe me. But after detailing all that would be required to release some more clothing and such, how much more meat do you see on that bone? How much more franchise accurate, canonical content do you see that isn't included? Grendel, Jason X, but what more? And please don't say things like "Add in another killer" or "Add in a winter map" because we've already detailed our approach to the franchise and game as being one rooted in accuracy to the Friday the 13th world.

We could bicker about one or two more items to add in the actual property that aren't in game yet. But that's quite a few leaps and bounds to make for a couple more pieces of canon.

And, as much as it may whip up the speculation frenzy, let's be honest. There are more horror games to be made and more horror gaming experiences to still be had.

We love and appreciate the fans. But these frank and honest conversations have to be had. I hope you all can see the things I've detailed here and even if you don't fully agree, understand the position Gun has been in since we first were told to hold content.

@mattshotcha I Just wish someone could Break it down in plain Redneck English as to why Gun Media will not Return to Friday the 13th the game years down the road after the lawsuit is settled.

Why is a Second Titled Friday the 13th the game such a Bad Business decision.

There is a SHIT TON OF MAPS FROM THE FRIDAY THE 13TH MOVIES THAT WERE LEFT OUT.

1.CAMP FOREST GREEN With Sheriffs station.

2.Shepherds House map and party house and barn.Tina Shepherds and The Doctors vacation house at camp crystal lake.

3. Manhattan map with Lazarus Ship

4.Camp Blood The forgotten,closed off abandoned camp part of camp crystal lake where pamela voorhees got her head chopped off.

5.Grendel map.

It must be too bad of a cluster fuck to deal with Sean Cunningham and Horror inc in negotiating a new license and working with Seans company.

Why stop at Friday the 13th part 5 map.

Is Friday the 13th and Sean Cunningham to difficult to deal with for even another game company to think thats Friday the 13th may get a second game.

I Just cant see how a second Friday the 13th game for Playstation 5 and Xbox X Series is such a bad business decision.

The Friday the 13th game title is still raging with interest and fans that would buy a second Friday the 13th game.

mattshotcha I Just wish someone could Break it down in plain Redneck English as to why Gun Media will not Return to Friday the 13th the game years down the road after the lawsuit is settled.

How much more simple does it need to get? You want me to get a box of crayons and some construction paper and draw you a diagram? When is the lawsuit going to be settled? Do you have any idea how long this dispute has been going on?

I'll give you a little clue: the last movie with the title including the name "Friday the 13th" was released in 2009. The last one before that was released in 1989. Why do you think Jason goes to Hell, Jason X, and Freddy Vs Jason do not have "Friday the 13th" in the title? Why do you think there hasn't been a movie since 2009? When exactly do you think this dispute will truly end?

On top of that it's no big secret that the coding in this game is less than stellar. Even if they did make another one at some point down the road, they'd have to start from scratch anyway. So who's to say that Gun would have to make that game anyway?

There is a SHIT TON OF MAPS FROM THE FRIDAY THE 13TH MOVIES THAT WERE LEFT OUT.

Not really

CAMP FOREST GREEN With Sheriffs station.

How much of that layout was even shown in the film? 2 cabins, a dock, and some random woods? I'm sure they wouldn't include the sheriff's station for the game. But ok, so that's 1.

Shepherds House map and party house and barn.Tina Shepherds and The Doctors vacation house at camp crystal lake.

Again not too much detail from the movie to go off of, but that's 2.

Manhattan map with Lazarus Ship

This one would either be one or the other. Let's assume the Lazarus because it would play like Grendel. Ok 3.

Camp Blood The forgotten,closed off abandoned camp part of camp crystal lake where pamela voorhees got her head chopped off.

This map is a no go because it was never depicted in a film. Remember, Jeff and Sandra never made it to the forbidden Camp Crystal Lake in Friday the 13th part 2.

Grendel map.

Obviously this one was a planned map, so that's 4. Ok so now what? Where's the content after that which would make any sense being accurate to the films which was one of the main goals of the current game?

You could go with the maps we already have, but then why make another game to begin with? That's literally all they can do keeping with the continuity of the franchise. How do you not see that it wouldn't be worth it?

The Friday the 13th game title is still raging with interest and fans that would buy a second Friday the 13th game.

And these same fans would buy other horror franchise based games. Especially if they pay as much attention to details as they did with this one.

You're trying to squeeze every last drop of milk out of this single cow, yet there are dozens of other cows, full of milk, that haven't even been touched yet. Is that redneck enough for you?

Once again, this has returned to the theme of 'can we get more content after the legal troubles?', and the answer is still and forever will be no. It's not happening and no matter how many threads get made, nothing is going to change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1