41 minutes ago, BrokenFattHardy said:

I think after the lawsuit wraps up a brand new game needs to be made by an entirely different company.

I shudder to think of what would happen if there was a DbD sequel and they tossed Jason into the mix.  He's a strong enough character to stand on his own.

5 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

From my experience, losing party usually takes care of the other persons lawyer fees.  

This is not often the case, the three times I've been sued and won I was responsible for my own expenses, I could have counter sued aftewards to recoop the money, but winning that suit isn't gauranteed.

Either way whoever wins is going to want to collect off the IP as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, NScarlato said:

Personally, I believe the email shows that Victor has only very limited interest in this game.

From a practical standpoint, the game has made the vast majority of the money it's going to make already.  Even if they threw out some more kill packs and clothing packs, 90+% of the money has been made as the game is a year old and has bad reviews.  

Victor is probably more concerned with his rights being asserted for future movies or entirely new products where 100's of millions may be at stake.  Not the last $1-5M this game *might* make at this point in time should they continue any development.

I'm confused.

You make a statement in the first line:

Personally, I believe the email shows that Victor has only very limited interest in this game.

But then you follow it up only with sales numbers, conjecture and probability.

Where does the email "show" Miller has only limited interest in the game?

2 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

I shudder to think of what would happen if there was a DbD sequel and they tossed Jason into the mix.  He's a strong enough character to stand on his own.

Thankfully I don't think BHVR have any intention of stopping anytime soon, plus there's Deathgarden. 

1 minute ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I'm confused.

You make a statement in the first line:

But then you follow it up only with sales numbers, conjecture and probability.

Where does the email "show" Miller has only limited interest in the game?

My argument is simply that there isn't enough money at stake for him to care specifically about this game as opposed to the franchise as a whole.  That's probably why he was willing to write back and state that the game could continue even if he wins.

6 minutes ago, NScarlato said:

My argument is simply that there isn't enough money at stake for him to care specifically about this game as opposed to the franchise as a whole.  That's probably why he was willing to write back and state that the game could continue even if he wins.

So, in essence, you don't actually believe Miller's email shows he has only very limited interest in this game. You're assuming this from other facts, yes?

Because I would argue that Miller's email actually shows he has interest in the game going forward.

Why?

My first indication is the line, "When the judge makes his ruling, either way, the game will go forward." 

How anyone would interpret that as him actually meaning, "I don't really care or want the game to go forward" is beyond me.

No offense. I'm just . . . gobsmacked.  

13 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

So, in essence, you don't actually believe Miller's email shows he has only very limited interest in this game. You're assuming this from other facts, yes?

Because I would argue that Miller's email actually shows he has interest in the game going forward.

Why?

My first indication is the line, "When the judge makes his ruling, either way, the game will go forward." 

How anyone would interpret that as him actually meaning, "I don't really care or want the game to go forward" is beyond me.

No offense. I'm just . . . gobsmacked.  

It's really not that hard to understand - I'm  surprised that this left you "gobsmacked."

If there was more at stake he wouldn't have replied as there would be way more details to iron out.  Or at least his attorney would have advised him to stay quiet.  

The interest in the game on these forums probably vastly outweighs Victor's interest in it.  More important is his piece of entirely new movies and other pieces of work, not what's left over from this game at this point.

Compared to the franchise as a whole, a small piece of the money that may be made by this game, from today forward, likely lands in "who cares" territory.

26 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I love you bro, but I read that line completely differently.  

To me, it shows a glaring lack of unawareness by Victor Miller.  I've defended his actions in the forums as a matter of principle (and will continue to do so), and I don't mean this to sound like an indictment, but I seriously doubt he knows much about this particular game, other than the fact that it exists.

If he's guilty of anything, it's speaking out of turn.  He couldn't possibly know anything about this game, it's development, or current status unless he's actively involved in it's management (which, clearly, he is not).

At the end of the day, it's not going to be a "rights" issue, but a timing issue.  Media production being what it is today, Gun isn't going to be able to drive around like the Blues Brothers picking up former staff a year from now with the line, "we're getting the band back together", and have everyone drop what they're doing to come back to work on a game that will be three years old (or more).

These folks need jobs and income.  It'd be foolish and fiscally wreckless of Gun to continue to employ folks to design, code, and implement new content that could potentially never see the light of day.  Anyone with a background is risk mitigation or risk management could explain it better, but essentially there comes a point when it's not economically feasible to continue with an activity in the absence of a clear path forward.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

I love you bro, but I read that line completely differently.  

To me, it shows a glaring lack of unawareness by Victor Miller.  I've defended his actions in the forums as a matter of principle (and will continue to do so), and I don't mean this to sound like an indictment, but I seriously doubt he knows much about this particular game, other than the fact that it exists.

If he's guilty of anything, it's speaking out of turn.  He couldn't possibly know anything about this game, it's development, or current status unless he's actively involved in it's management (which, clearly, he is not).

At the end of the day, it's not going to be a "rights" issue, but a timing issue.  Media production being what it is today, Gun isn't going to be able to drive around like the Blues Brothers picking up former staff a year from now with the line, "we're getting the band back together", and have everyone drop what they're doing to come back to work on a game that will be three years old (or more).

These folks need jobs and income.  It'd be foolish and fiscally wreckless of Gun to continue to employ folks to design, code, and implement new content that could potentially never see the light of day.  Anyone with a background is risk mitigation or risk management could explain it better, but essentially there comes a point when it's not economically feasible to continue with an activity in the absence of a clear path forward.

I think we're arguing two separate points here, brother.

I think what you're thinking I'm saying is that "Victor Miller says the game will continue, so it will."

I'm certainly not. I doubt he has any more bead on what's going on with Gun than you or I do.

What I AM saying is, "This email validates to me that Victor Miller is not out to kill the game and seems encouraged that it will continue."

Is he correct? Probably not. But to me, he does not seem like an opponent of the game, or even disinterested in it as others have claimed. In fact, he appears to support it and believes it will continue.

While that doesn't give me much comfort for THIS incarnation of the game, it does give me hope for the gaming future of F13.

S'all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

What I AM saying is, "This email validates to me that Victor Miller is not out to kill the game and seems encouraged that it will continue."

See, that makes perfect sense to me.

The game is probably small potatoes to VM, other than the fact that it's part and parcel with current licensing and the IP.

13 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

The game is probably small potatoes to VM, other than the fact that it's part and parcel with current licensing and the IP.

It's not even that it is small potatoes, if he wins he would want every fan of the franchise happy so that he can sell rights to the IP. He's not dumb enough to kill a project, piss off the fans and think that they'll buy the next thing he tries to sell.

I mean, there are people involved with this franchise now who are that dumb, but I don't think Miller is.

• Thanks 1

The fact that he has no issue with it continuing and Sean has no issue, to me, says there is no reason content can not still be added. It's clear neither side has any objections to the game moving forward.......

27 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Go enjoy Wes's latest post, it doesn't change anything but it made me happy.

I just went and looked after reading your post. Holy shit, you're right.

22 hours ago, Ghostboy20 said:

A user over at reddit got an email back from him. 

PfS4Vyu.jpg

What's your guys thoughts on this?

Honestly, I think one reason he "may" have written this email the way he did is because of all the backlash he received from negative people when the game was included with the lawsuit, I think he was scared and wanted this to be as public as possible so maybe some people would back off with the extreme negativity.  Just my thoughts.

Just now, RadikalGamer said:

Honestly, I think one reason he "may" have written this email the way he did is because of all the backlash he received from negative people when the game was included with the lawsuit, I think he was scared and wanted this to be as public as possible so maybe some people would back off with the extreme negativity.  Just my thoughts.

Or he was surprised by this backlash from the gamers because he really didn't care all that much about the game to begin with.  The game wasn't specifically included in the lawsuit; it's just impacted peripherally. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RadikalGamer said:

Not for nothing, I imagine he's gotten his fair share of fan mail or hate mail over the years regardless of this specific situation. 

10 minutes ago, NScarlato said:

Or he was surprised by this backlash from the gamers because he really didn't care all that much about the game to begin with.  The game wasn't specifically included in the lawsuit; it's just impacted peripherally. 

eh regardless its all a CYOA scenario no matter how you slice it on every end of the spectrum.  Regardless of the fact the gun/illfonic will not be making new content for this game or not, sometime in the future it will get taken back up by someone in some shape or form considering its success, all there is to do now is wait.  All anyone can do.  There are many things that Gun/illfonic have been instructed by legal counsel not to talk about which is standard in any legal proceeding and I think they should follow whatever legal advise they are getting, they are not lawyers.  The best thing they can do is leave it to the professionals on the legal side as not to get burned by anything.   Best thing they can do and seems they are doing.  The success of this game though after all of this clears up going to spark some company to come along and snatch the rights up and continue or make something different with the fthe13 game regardless though, too much money to be made, especially after seeing sales and the outcry from fans after the company that currently holds the game said they will not release any new content.  Its a no brainer, after everything settles it would be idiocy for some other company not to pick things up or start new if they have too.  Id play a different version of Friday the 13th on any platform, why not?  Especially considering the circumstances.  Just have to be patient.  My rule of thumb is...never say never.  Trust me.  @The Doctor Yeah but he got a severe amount of backlash about the game.  Truth be told.  Take a look at the top banner in red at the top of the forums.

I know, all I meant is that it comes with the territory of having rabid fans/stalkers/being in show business. Now imagine 35+ years of it.

this means nothing now that gun and ill said they aren't doing anything else with the game, which is still utter bullshit. Why on earth just stop all together? This game is their biggest money maker and anything else they make will never come even close to the success of it.

@RadikalGamer im all for another developer picking up the F13 rights with a few exceptions, EA number 1 nope obvious reasons, i saw someone say Rockstar and Bethesda, Rockstar nope they are very good at what they do *exceptgreedygtao* but i dont feel like they could do a good pvp game like this, an Bethesda i say no because they are mainly sp focused (im not saying sp is trash btw), FO76 will be something to prove but i hated ESO, anyway for me personally i want maybe capcom, looking at resident evil series here, but i really dont know who would be the best

If this is true it makes the devs look bad because they said they will still be fixing things and servers that the time the ruling comes down then they could continue working on the games future content. If not hopefully another publisher that see's $ will pick up the game and continue with it.

47 minutes ago, TWarner said:

If this is true it makes the devs look bad because they said they will still be fixing things and servers that the time the ruling comes down then they could continue working on the games future content. If not hopefully another publisher that see's $ will pick up the game and continue with it.

Yeah bs leave game like this plus we promised part x Jason and game works right. I like kunomi take over they make good games like castlevania. 

I want Sean Cunningham's take on all of this. I want either someone to interview him or an email stating his position on the game and the franchise as a whole. He's been way too silent on all of this.