ShiftySamurai

Update Status & First Look: Engine Update

4 minutes ago, Bless 2 Success said:

Like on May 8th or that week of Mother's day ?

Don’t get your hopes up on some random person’s feeling. It could be as late as June or even July.

I’m not saying be patient, I’m saying no one knows.

5 hours ago, wes said:

Thought everyone would like to see the improvements to characters from the upgrade as well. AJ is angelic now! 

-W

AJ NEW V Old.jpg

A.J. has always been angelic ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bless 2 Success said:

Like on May 8th or that week of Mother's day ?

I'm thinking either Tuesday (8th) or Friday (11th). That would be pretty cheeky of them to release the update on Mother's Day. Coincidentally, Mother's Day this year will be on the 13th, but that falls on a Sunday.

Isn't it fitting that the Xbox One verion in that video stuttered during the intro. But at least it's darker with better looking grass now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dogmatic said:

Isn't it fitting that the Xbox One verion in that video stuttered during the intro. But at least it's darker with better looking grass now!

exactly my thoughts, a stutter with the rain on, but is fixed guys, dont worry

Far Cry 5 have some simillar problems of fps drop like Fridaythe13th, because this i stop play the game

It just hit me as to why they are making the game darker. Remember that dev conference where one of the devs said the game was scary when it first came out but later lost its scare factor because players became desensitized? I believe they think making it darker will equal making the game a lot scarier in their eyes. I don't agree with that opinion but i truly believe that's their reasoning for it. I think instead of making it scarier it'll make things more frustrating if it's harder to see your surroundings. In order to avoid that we'll be forced to adjust the gamma settings all the way up just to get it to a reasonable brightness level! Please devs rethink this before its too late. What's the point of improving the graphics if we can't notice the difference because of the added darkness?

I like the new look. Looks like wet clothing is now darker rather than just being shiny like it's slathered in vaseline. I love it.

I see that Pinehurst is now labeled as 1989. I mentioned the timeline discrepancy to Randy Greenback on stream once and he said he'd check it with the guy that handles the timeline. I'm glad I could contribute yet again lol.

Part 6 could have possibly taken place later that same year, but due Camp Forest Green only just opening(must be May or June), it would have to be like, the next 1 or 2 months later, if we say Part 5 took place in March or April, the earliest you could believably expect there to be fully green forests. More likely Part 5 and 6 both take place in June one year apart, so I'd peg Part 6 being in 1990.

The opening of part 7 with young Tina and freshly drowned Jason could take place some time later in 1990. Jason's appearance and outfit haven't started to rot yet, so it's probably only a few months later. Cut to 10 years later and the bulk of Part 7 would take place in 2000. Part 8 could possibly take place in 2000, it's a school trip, so it could be in the fall of 2000 or spring of 2001. Heck maybe even 2002.

The Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comics confirm that Freddy revived Jason 2 weeks after he was sent to Hell in JGTH, and Freddy vs Jason takes place in 2003, so Jason Goes to Hell definitively takes place in 2003. So in conclusion:

Part 6: 1990

Part 7 Opening: 1990

Part 7 Main: 2000

Part 8: 2000-2002

Part 9: 2003

So if we ever get maps for Camp Forest Green, the Shepherd property, the Lazarus/Manhattan, or the Crystal Lake Town, you know where I stand. ;)

21 minutes ago, Reyezblood 03 said:

@ShiftySamurai Hey, did the new Engine Upgrade, improve frame rate and performance? Also I’m referring to consoles. 

Yes, he said this in another topic, on the website of unreal engine also quotes performance gain in version 4.18

So, all of the above mentioned in your post will be included in the next update? 

Also, how is progress coming along on "Paranoia"? 

4 minutes ago, steven_kale99 said:

Looks way too dark to me. I can barely see a thing. Maybe the final version will be better, though.

Exactly if we wanted it darker all we had to do was lower the gamma levels ourselves they didn't have to do it for us!

17 minutes ago, Jasonlives4ever said:

Exactly if we wanted it darker all we had to do was lower the gamma levels ourselves they didn't have to do it for us!

I disagree, the darker atmosphere really adds to the idea that you shouldn't run around without a flashlight on at all times. Horror games are at their best when you cannot see everything (unless you're playing the part of the murderer), something that really applies to real life human fear of the unknown.

Now the devs need to make it so you don't start off with a flashlight, Jason's music is silenced until a counselor reaches full fear, and we'd see a far more intimidating Jason than we currently do.

• Like 2

I did originally vow to show my arse in a retail shop window if the update and dedicated servers happened in April so I'm quite happy tbh. 

With this update the counselors looks like plastic puppets covered with oil. Much worse than the current build. 

54 minutes ago, Xenofon1313 said:

With this update the counselors looks like plastic puppets covered with oil. Much worse than the current build. 

You would look damp under the rain too :lol:

@ShiftySamurai

I see Part 3 carrying a pick axe in the PC comparison:

• Will intro scenes also show which variation of Jason you selected? As in Retro, Green/Blue Roy and Bloody?
  • Can we get a look at a full match or a portion of a match that includes interaction?

Jason doesn’t even grab his knives in these videos.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:
  • Will intro scenes also show which variation of Jason you selected? As in Retro, Green/Blue Roy and Bloody ?

I don't remember where I read it, but yes they said the intro should reflect weapon swap and skins.

1 minute ago, Shelly Finkelstein said:

I don't remember where I read it, but yes they said the intro should reflect weapon swap and skins.

That would be good.

Thanks. :)

I'm not going to say I'm not a little disappointed about the update not falling in April, but I am glad to see the details regarding all the new stuff that is definitely going to be in the update when we actually get it.  I am really looking forward to all the new "Thursday announcement" stuff (especially weapon swapping, SP challenges, improved bot AI, and the new counselor).  The only question I have is really in regards to what to expect in terms of changes due to the engine upgrade.  Psychology was my major in school, so I am admittedly not very tech savvy.  I am not going to criticize the devs for much since I am completely ignorant in terms of what it takes to do the technical work they are doing.  From the video, I see the improvements in terms of lighting and the overall darker atmosphere, which I like; currently, I never feel the need to utilize the flashlight at all.  It does look a lot darker, and I like it.  I wasn't expecting drastic changes in terms of graphics (nor is that very important to me).  Fun factor is much more relevant to me than graphics.  However, other than enabling the possibility for future dedicated servers and improving dark atmosphere and lighting effects, how specifically will the engine update alter gameplay controls?   Is there anything related to the engine update that is meant to improve hit detection in combat, tightening the controls, etc.?  Like I said, I am rather ignorant when it comes to tech lingo.  I just want to make sure my expectations regarding the update are realistic and reasonable.  Believe me, anything that helps with connectivity and stability is great.  I was hopeful for April release, but I never really expected it before mid or late May at the earliest to be honest.  Until then, I would be curious to see a few more before and after update videos showing simple differences in atmosphere and game physics while playing as a counselor.  Like most people here, I would really rather wait for a great update that improves the game rather than receiving one quickly that is riddled with more bugs.  Looking forward to the update when it falls. :) 

8 hours ago, Jasonlives4ever said:

It just hit me as to why they are making the game darker. Remember that dev conference where one of the devs said the game was scary when it first came out but later lost its scare factor because players became desensitized? I believe they think making it darker will equal making the game a lot scarier in their eyes. I don't agree with that opinion but i truly believe that's their reasoning for it. I think instead of making it scarier it'll make things more frustrating if it's harder to see your surroundings. In order to avoid that we'll be forced to adjust the gamma settings all the way up just to get it to a reasonable brightness level! Please devs rethink this before its too late. What's the point of improving the graphics if we can't notice the difference because of the added darkness?

Or..........the new engine simply utilizes better and more realistic lighting and doesn't suffer from the blaring contrast lighting the current one has......?

:P

• Like 1