hokiehi

Tips for using a non-running Jason

I'm fairly new to playing this game (bought in December) and have pretty much used Part 2, 3, or 4 Jason when playing online. The few times I've tried a walking Jason I barely killed any counselors. With a running Jason, i normally clear the map, or at least get 6 kills. 

Are there any tips in using a non-running Jason? I'd like to be able to play any and be pretty effective. 

Patience is the key to non running Jason.

Spending less time chasing and more time being where you think the counselors will end up.

A few slashes or throwing knives will slow down the counselors.  Stalk all the time when ready.. Don't run unless you have too.

You rely on your shift a lot, so I prefer a Jason with +shift.  I'm pretty handy with Part 9, but you have to keep in mind you only have 3 traps.  Not a fan of Part 6 due to his -morph. Part 8 is a good choice because even though he has an average shift, it's still serviceable and his weapon strength is a definite plus for breaking down doors faster.

1 hour ago, Vaderspupil said:

You rely on your shift a lot, so I prefer a Jason with +shift.  I'm pretty handy with Part 9, but you have to keep in mind you only have 3 traps.  Not a fan of Part 6 due to his -morph. Part 8 is a good choice because even though he has an average shift, it's still serviceable and his weapon strength is a definite plus for breaking down doors faster.

Yep, part 8 is one of the best all around undead Jason's. Part 9 is great for the +shift, but I hate the -traps... I like part 6, mainly because I met CJ Graham and he's super cool and told us we have to love his digital counterpart. But the -morph sucks! (Don't tell him I said that!)

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what Jason you use. It doesn't matter if he runs, walks, flys, or does hopscotch. You have to adjust your tactics to take advantage of his strengths, and shift the gameplay away from his weaknesses.

Part 6 with his throwing knives and +shift make him better at dealing with counselors out in the open. When pursuing a counselor, pay attention to your map and be aware of where they are running to. If they are inning to a group of cabins it's better to get in front of them and turn them out into the open where you can use your knives or have a better line to shift grab them. When they are already in a cabin it may be better to go all the way around to the back door and smash that one so that they are inclined to exit in the direction of an open space. The -morph means you have to make every use of it count. It's better to go out a door to pursue a window hopper, or use stalk to bait them back in, then to use your morph and suffer the long cooldown, while hearing objectives being attempted.

Part 9 with his +shift and +stalk make him an ambush predator. He's great at spotting counselors from a distance, and sneaking up on them when they least expect it. The -traps means I try to put pressure on them early, and drive them to attempt a single objective. If I can kill 3 or 4 people focussed on trying to repair the 4 seater then I haven't got to worry as much if the cops get called.

I'm sure people will disagree but these are things that work for me, and I'm happy with the results I get.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

It doesn't matter what Jason you use. It doesn't matter if he runs, walks, flys, or does hopscotch. You have to adjust your tactics to take advantage of his strengths, and shift the gameplay away from his weaknesses.

Part 6 with his throwing knives and +shift make him better at dealing with counselors out in the open. When pursuing a counselor, pay attention to your map and be aware of where they are running to. If they are inning to a group of cabins it's better to get in front of them and turn them out into the open where you can use your knives or have a better line to shift grab them. When they are already in a cabin it may be better to go all the way around to the back door and smash that one so that they are inclined to exit in the direction of an open space. The -morph means you have to make every use of it count. It's better to go out a door to pursue a window hopper, or use stalk to bait them back in, then to use your morph and suffer the long cooldown, while hearing objectives being attempted.

Part 9 with his +shift and +stalk make him an ambush predator. He's great at spotting counselors from a distance, and sneaking up on them when they least expect it. The -traps means I try to put pressure on them early, and drive them to attempt a single objective. If I can kill 3 or 4 people focussed on trying to repair the 4 seater then I haven't got to worry as much if the cops get called.

I'm sure people will disagree but these are things that work for me, and I'm happy with the results I get.

Can't say I disagree at all, very good points there. Pretty much layed it out, can't wait for weapon swap to put a machete in J6's hand! I really do like part 6, but the guys I play with make it tough when you're waiting for morph. When I run him I usually don't morph unless I hear a trap go off, and even then I have to weight my options. Love those extra knives, and +shift and sense.

47 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

You have to adjust your tactics to take advantage of his strengths, and shift the gameplay away from his weaknesses.

I thought like this too. Then, after seeing lots of gameplays, I realized something: You need to use all of Jason's tools to win a match. And if a certain ability is a weakness, just use it more carefully. You can't just stop using a certain ability just because it's a weakness. 

That's like saying Jason 6 needs to stop using Morph because it's a weakness. I've already saw matches where Jason 6 never used Morph and it had terrible results.

My most famous example: Jason 4 cannot just Run all the time to catch counselors. So, this is where his Shift enters the scene. But since it's a weakness, that means he cannot use Shift whenever he wants to. However, his Shift is still viable to catch counselors. So, my recommendation is to use it only when trying to catch counselors, not to travel to one area to another (since it's slower than that of a regular Shift). You'll have a better success rate by doing this than just abusing his "Can Run" strength.

Edit: Oh, only now I read the rest of your comment lol

Edited by NoOneK9503
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Redrum138 said:

When I run him I usually don't morph unless I hear a trap go off, and even then I have to weight my options.

In any match that I disappointed Mother and allowed someone to escape, I can rewind the tape and usually point to a bad morph (usually early in the match) that was to blame.

I've mistaken what I thought was a failed car battery skill checks for a power box. Morphed to the the car only to find no one in sense range.

If Jason taught us anything in the movies it was to be patient. The times in the film where he was outwitted and killed were at the end when he got worked up into a frenzy. When he is patient and calmly stalking his prey and isolating them he effortlessly knocks them off one by one.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I've mistaken what I thought was a failed car battery skill checks for a power box. Morphed to the the car only to find no one in sense range.

Does the failed battery or gas skill check alert sound is the same as the power box one?

Just now, NoOneK9503 said:

Does the failed battery or gas skill check alert sound is the same as the power box one?

The battery and the electrical box are very similar, if not exactly the same. I can't tell you how many times I go to the only car on the map to realize that they are calling Tommy Jarvis. 

9 minutes ago, NoOneK9503 said:

8 minutes ago, BlitzBoy526 said:

The battery and the electrical box are very similar, if not exactly the same. I can't tell you how many times I go to the only car on the map to realize that they are calling Tommy Jarvis. 

The difference between the power box and the battery is very subtle but it's there.  The power box is more of a low key "bzzt" sound.  The battery is more of a slightly louder "zap". @NoOneK9503 The gas makes a splashing sound and the propeller makes a loud clank.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

the propeller makes a loud clank.

The first few games as Jason, the propeller noise scared the Sh*t out of me haha.

7 hours ago, hokiehi said:

I'm fairly new to playing this game (bought in December) and have pretty much used Part 2, 3, or 4 Jason when playing online. The few times I've tried a walking Jason I barely killed any counselors. With a running Jason, i normally clear the map, or at least get 6 kills. 

Are there any tips in using a non-running Jason? I'd like to be able to play any and be pretty effective. 

Use traps more wisely, Watch the car more than the phone in this case.

It's been said already but patience is key with the non running Jason's. First time I used part 8 I thought he was garbage because I lacked the patience for the lack of running. It's also possible that the running Jason's fit your play style better.

It sounds stupid, but after talking to people who did not know about this I realized some people manage to miss this simple fact... walking Jasons walk faster if you press the sprint button (Shift / L3).

I am not sure what was the point of having two walking speeds for Jasons, but it is what it is.

This might not help you at all, but it is an ideal thread to point this out. I cannot count how many matches I had against Jasons who just walked their default speed the whole match.

• Like 1

I'd like to use the walking Jasons more too, but they all have weaknesses I don't like except part 8. I hate minus traps and the the bad morph is a killer when you mess one up. I am pretty good with stalk though so that helps with the ambush game. I do like to joke with counselors sometimes that I'm walking at them menacingly.

11 hours ago, BlitzBoy526 said:

They sound the same until a troll screws up the electrical box 20+ times in a row. Thank you troll now I will never forget and also never destroy more than one electrical box so you'll know a trolls whereabouts.

1 hour ago, The Tommy said:

I'd like to use the walking Jasons more too, but they all have weaknesses I don't like except part 8. I hate minus traps and the the bad morph is a killer when you mess one up. I am pretty good with stalk though so that helps with the ambush game. I do like to joke with counselors sometimes that I'm walking at them menacingly.

Sorry to correct, you meant J9 right?  He has -traps but he does have normal morph cool down.  J6 has the bad morph.

20 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

Sorry to correct, you meant J9 right?  He has -traps but he does have normal morph cool down.  J6 has the bad morph.

No, not just part 9. 7 has minus traps too. I was listing all the weaknesses I don't like of all the walking Jasons.

2 hours ago, The Tommy said:

I'd like to use the walking Jasons more too, but they all have weaknesses I don't like except part 8

So all in all, I was talking about parts 6, 7, 8, and 9. I didn't list the parts with the weaknesses as I figured people would know to which Jason(s) I was referring too. 

10 minutes ago, The Tommy said:

No, not just part 9. 7 has minus traps too. I was listing all the weaknesses I don't like of all the walking Jasons.

Ahh ok, I re-read what you said, I mis-read you.  My bad.  I agree, J8 is the best undead.  Savini is strong, but pitchfork is unusable for melee.  Can't wait for weapon swaps, then Savini will be really good.

5 hours ago, Survival said:

It sounds stupid, but after talking to people who did not know about this I realized some people manage to miss this simple fact... walking Jasons walk faster if you press the sprint button (Shift / L3).

I am not sure what was the point of having two walking speeds for Jasons, but it is what it is.

This might not help you at all, but it is an ideal thread to point this out. I cannot count how many matches I had against Jasons who just walked their default speed the whole match.

Hum... Interesting! Does this work with the running Jasons too?

Also, press or hold the Shift button?

10 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

Ahh ok, I re-read what you said, I mis-read you.  My bad.  I agree, J8 is the best undead.  Savini is strong, but pitchfork is unusable for melee.  Can't wait for weapon swaps, then Savini will be really good.

It's all good. I'd talk about Savini, but the thread would never come back again. He's got a lock curse!

On 3/28/2018 at 3:18 PM, NoOneK9503 said:

Hum... Interesting! Does this work with the running Jasons too?

Also, press or hold the Shift button?

You hold the shift button. It makes running Jasons run and walking Jasons walk faster.

Only thing I can say is stock up on throwing knives.

This is why I prefer playing as running Jasons online. Last time I played as a walking Jason I ran into an annoying Fox player who looped around hallways in a large cabin and usually manage to keep out of sight. Shift wasn't helping me, but eventually I beat the player at their own game by standing behind an open door and waited for them to run right by there to grab.:JasonPt7: