Jump to content
DorianRo

How do you make the game enjoyable/Balanced for EVERYONE

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Right!

@Man Behind the Mask

Team work and communication should not be a requirement to play this game.

lol...Sure it should.

That being said, I've still had plenty of matches where I found all the car parts myself, repaired it, and got the car started all by myself - as Vanessa.

So it isn't a requirement. You can do just fine without it against a less than stellar Jason. But if Jason ramps up the difficulty, it's up to the counselors to step up their game.

You're beyond ridiculous with this whole thing though. You've been preaching this garbage since the minute you signed up here, and you've been constantly rebutted with the simple concept of "teamwork". Everyone is painfully aware that not everyone plays that way, so you'll come across some matches where there's little to no teamwork. But that's not the game's fault - It's the players' fault.

It's like playing Monopoly with people who roll the dice and go around and around the board without ever buying any properties. Sure...they're in the game, but they're hardly playing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stoney said:

Oh. Yeah I obviously don't think he needs anymore buffs unless it's fixing glitches or adding a way to take on a group easier.

He's overpowered now, why would you want him even more harder to escape?

I want the game to feel as much like one of the movies as possible (at least in my head). I feel like I should only escape 3 or 4 times out of 10. It makes those few escapes all the more thrilling. I like being killed in the game. Especially if I did something before I died that helped someone else escape or I put up a good chase.

I think it's one of the biggest areas where this community is split. A lot of people want the game to feel like one of the movies. They're more interested in participating a F13 movie experience (at least as close as they can get considering it's a game). This is the category I put myself in. 

On the flip side there are a ton of people who are just looking for a fun video game experience. They're not trying to see themselves in a movie. They just want to have fun and have a fair shot at escaping. 

This is why I don't think the game will ever be balanced to make everyone happy. Both sides are going to have to compromise a bit and meet in the middle somewhere.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being killed sucks in this game because you have to wait it out to nab your XP points which could take 10/15/20 minutes.  If Jason blitzes you from the beginning where you happen to spawn near a car/Phone when he goes to set his traps, you're SCREWED this patch  chances as you won't be as lucky to nab a pocket knife or find some fireworks for a quick getaway out of the area.  Especially if they have an experienced part 4 Jason  who is awesome at nabbing a quick kill or two with overwhelming force

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DorianRo said:

Being killed sucks in this game because you have to wait it out to nab your XP points which could take 10/15/20 minutes.  If Jason blitzes you from the beginning where you happen to spawn near a car/Phone when he goes to set his traps, you're SCREWED this patch  chances as you won't be as lucky to nab a pocket knife or find some fireworks for a quick getaway out of the area.  Especially if they have an experienced part 4 Jason  who is awesome at nabbing a quick kill or two with overwhelming force

False.

If you die before Jason has Shift, review some tutorials. Literally all you have to do is run. That's it...Run.

You also don't have to stay to earn your XP. You can leave once you're dead and you will get your XP...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DorianRo said:

If Jason blitzes you from the beginning where you happen to spawn near a car/Phone when he goes to set his traps, you're SCREWED this patch 

I played a match last night before running into two of the forum members. I was micless last night, had a bunch of people talking and didn't want them giving me away to Jason. I spawned right at the phone house, I quickly locked a door but heard the music so I hid under a bed, after a bit of Jason looking around he left. I didn't die because I didn't give myself away to Jason. He doesn't have sense so you can be smart and get away from Jason at the start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, A.J. Mason said:

I want the game to feel as much like one of the movies as possible (at least in my head). I feel like I should only escape 3 or 4 times out of 10. It makes those few escapes all the more thrilling. I like being killed in the game. Especially if I did something before I died that helped someone else escape or I put up a good chase.

I think it's one of the biggest areas where this community is split. A lot of people want the game to feel like one of the movies. They're more interested in participating a F13 movie experience (at least as close as they can get considering it's a game). This is the category I put myself in. 

On the flip side there are a ton of people who are just looking for a fun video game experience. They're not trying to see themselves in a movie. They just want to have fun and have a fair shot at escaping. 

This is why I don't think the game will ever be balanced to make everyone happy. Both sides are going to have to compromise a bit and meet in the middle somewhere.

This....and i agree i want it as close to the movie experience as possible. I want it hard to escape. Ups the horror experience in general. I dont think there is a way to balance it out for both sides and keep it close to the movie experience. Jason should be a bit op in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current balance set by Gun with items is meant to encourage teamwork, if you don't work to be a part of that, I don't know what to tell you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mtk9210 said:

I think the bigger problem in quickplay is that players who have no business trying to do objectives are the ones who have the parts and lure Jason to them. It really agitates me when a buggzy  or tiffany runs past me as debbie to put the phone fuse in, or the propellor on the boat or whatever it may be and I'm standing at that objective. I understand the risk of dropping it to a troll who is going to take it and run the other way, but if I'm on the mic saying HEY I'LL PUT THAT IN... odds are as buggz you're going to mess up once. Do I mess up as Debbie, darn right I do. But these objectives don't get completed because Jason knows what you're fixing and now can babysit it until you're dead. This is a game that unfortunately requires teamwork for success, you don't really find it in quickplay but thats the way life goes. If everyone worked together and communicated with no trolling everyone would be whining the game was to easy for counselors and Jason sucked to hard. Making everyone happy is impossible.

I wouldn't say this is a larger problem than people who don't even try, but yes it is annoying. Equally annoying is the opposite though. The other day as Jenny I put the gas in the 4 seater and I had keys. Just as I arrive with the battery a Deb shows up and I'm thinking, awesome! i drop the battery and she just goes and stands at a passenger door, wanting a free ride, won't pick up the battery. It all worked out though, I screwed up once on my repair and Jason showed up and killed her, leaving me to escape.

21 minutes ago, Ghostboy20 said:

I played a match last night before running into two of the forum members. I was micless last night, had a bunch of people talking and didn't want them giving me away to Jason. I spawned right at the phone house, I quickly locked a door but heard the music so I hid under a bed, after a bit of Jason looking around he left. I didn't die because I didn't give myself away to Jason. He doesn't have sense so you can be smart and get away from Jason at the start. 

I do this often as well and it typically works but every once in a while it backfires. Just the other day I spawned at the fuse house four bloody games in a row against different jasons. On the last one, Jason walks in and just randomly breaks my bed. I hear him on the mic "awweee holy shit I had no idea you were there, unlucky f--ker." I just laughed and grabbed a beer.

57 minutes ago, stoney said:

This! I don't get why this seems to be hard for some to understand. If I could like your comment, I would.

Agreed. People often comment that the game is unfair to Jason because it is 7 versus 1, but it isn't a team game. I mean, it requires teamwork and I wish counsellors played like a team, but the average casual player does not view it as a team match. The average player doesn't think they won if they died bringing gas to the boat, even though it contributed to two people escaping. There is nothing in the lobbies or player list that implies it is 7 v 1. People are incredibly inept at reading between the lines. It's more like seven individuals versus Jason and sometimes, if those people are smart and selfless, they might help each other. Perhaps instead of the dropdown list of players in a match, the player list screen should be laid out this way:

Jenny

Deb        VS   Jason

Kenny

etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The current balance set by Gun with items is meant to encourage teamwork, if you don't work to be a part of that, I don't know what to tell you.

Which is how it should be.  The list of counselors who played hero ball against Jason and ended up as another notch on his machete is as long as the list of beers @TheHansonGoons has tried.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Which is how it should be.  The list of counselors who played hero ball against Jason and ended up as another notch on his machete is as long as the list of beers @TheHansonGoons has tried.

 

Hmmmm, maybe that's what Gun should add, at the end of the match each player has an xp reward they can give to a team mate, if they don't select a team mate Jason gets the xp. Think of it as giving your last beer to a friend who helped you out, your not allowed to keep it, if you do Jason drinks it. It can be the in game equivalent of sharing with someone who did you a favor by teaming up. A pass the bottle reward. I'm tired so I hope that makes sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

The current balance set by Gun with items is meant to encourage teamwork, if you don't work to be a part of that, I don't know what to tell you.

 

23 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Which is how it should be.  The list of counselors who played hero ball against Jason and ended up as another notch on his machete is as long as the list of beers @TheHansonGoons has tried.

 

My only issue with this is that it doesn't encourage teamwork. Its meant to, and the devs and hardcore players want it to, but it doesn't. knives are so precious now that players won't use them for traps. And don't get me wrong, I am not wanting it go back to the last patch with a plethora of knives every game. What i'd like is for the devs to make it a little more clear that players are expected to work as a team. Even adding some text to the screen at the start of a match, or changing the player list layout in lobbies so it is more clear that the counsellors are a unit versus Jason, or something along those lines. I dislike hand holding, but a lot of people sadly need a gentle tug in the right direction in QP. Its kind of like how they had to make it more obvious that Tommy was a hero character and since then we still get a few doofus Tommy players but not nearly as many. I'm not sure how to best go about this, but that's really my only concern with how matches are playing out. Balance is pretty good. Jason closer to a god then a laughing stock, but in reality he isn't either. All is well there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slasher_Clone said:

Hmmmm, maybe that's what Gun should add, at the end of the match each player has an xp reward they can give to a team mate, if they don't select a team mate Jason gets the xp. Think of it as giving your last beer to a friend who helped you out, your not allowed to keep it, if you do Jason drinks it. It can be the in game equivalent of sharing with someone who did you a favor by teaming up. A pass the bottle reward. I'm tired so I hope that makes sense.

That's actually a very good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

What i'd like is for the devs to make it a little more clear that players are expected to work as a team. Even adding some text to the screen at the start of a match, or changing the player list layout in lobbies so it is more clear that the counsellors are a unit versus Jason, or something along those lines. I dislike hand holding, but a lot of people sadly need a gentle tug in the right direction in QP.

Yes this has always been needed IMO. I've talked about it many, many times. New players don't know what to do, don't know how to go about teamwork, but most importantly don't know how to get better. The game just throws them in the match and says "figure it out." Which is fine to an extent but operating on the premise of a 1v7 game, you kind of have to make it clear that all 7 should be working together.

The game has never been any good at instructing newcomers, not even at teaching them the basics. Menu guide is a joke. Players needs to be able to learn in-game while playing. Those who wish to advance should also have a good knowledge base to draw from directly in-game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

I'd argue the best way to learn is to go up against better players and copy their strategies.

A level 15 in a level 150 lobby will learn nothing but frustration. They don't know enough about the game at that point to even know what to look for. Needs to be some kind of matchmaking for reasonable challenge and progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they'll get frustrated, but they'll see what the player is doing and learn from it. Newbie player plays as Jason and gets hit through a door. Tries it as a counselor and demasks Jason with it. Tries it against an experienced Jason and can't hit him because he properly combat stances it. Learns the uses and limitations of the tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I'd have to see it

If that's all that will convince you, then that's fine. Maybe you'll play with her on PS4 one day, or maybe some day she'll post a video so you can see it for yourself. Don't why you'd think I'd have any reason to lie to you, or to anyone here on the forums, for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing about the recent update that I think is bad and unfair for counselors is the extra knives given to Jason. If you're not playing as Vanessa, good luck dodging the 6 knives Jason has for you in the first minute of the game. 2 of them and you're dead if you didn't spawn in a large cabin with a guaranteed medspray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

I do this often as well and it typically works but every once in a while it backfires. Just the other day I spawned at the fuse house four bloody games in a row against different jasons. On the last one, Jason walks in and just randomly breaks my bed. I hear him on the mic "awweee holy shit I had no idea you were there, unlucky f--ker." I just laughed and grabbed a beer.

It's really all about luck and playing the game smart, I still escaped a few times last night but I still died to, I didn't get angry and say "THIS GAME IS UNFAIR! FIX JASON!" I was like "Well guess I'm dead, better luck next time." I guess I don't mind dying in this game unlike other's, my escapes were most of the time me finding everything as Chad and doing my best to fix stuff up on my own because you guess it everyone is finding the parts but leaving them on the map not near the cars or the phone and I'm like "Well now I know why people call Chad a dick." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DorianRo said:

Very good post.  It appears they DID go too far in the opposite direction.  Sure this game would be a fucking DREAM if we played as Jason every time post match now but the fact remains, we're counselors far more often than we are Jason's.  If Im going to be a counselor 85-90 percent of the time, then I will just prefer the last patch.  Give us the choice between patches at least if you incapable of balancing the game for ALL parties involved.   And don't tell us, "Just play offline bots".  The Bots are fucking useless and stupid on EVERY difficulty level.    Its fun now kicking more ass as Jason post patch, but you have to enjoy your time as a counselor too since if you get killed within a few minutes THEN WHAT??? You got to sit around for 15-20 minutes for the game to end???    When 85 percent of the counselors are now USELESS, repair counselors are completely useless, you're limited to just a few counselors with the chance to survive, and as we all know (Despite though that claim its teamwork teamwork, communication, teamwork!!!) there is LITTLE teamwork in this game.   The only way to really survive the maps in this patch is to use teamwork but relying on others just isn't REALITY at this time.   You just aren't going to find too many people to play to capture all the objectives so you have to go lonewolf which is SUICIDE now.

 

I don't see this game ever being balanced for both counselors and Jason, so at the very LEAST give us the option to play the patch we choose.  

It's pretty close to balanced for a group of 7 vs 1 guy. You're not going to get out all the time. Deal with it. 

As far as sitting in the dead lobby, leave. Find a new one. Unless you are playing with a group, you don't need to stick around. 

1 hour ago, Qcici said:

Thank you for acknowledging this, Gun Media really fucked up the balancing. This is a game where the majority of the time, you play as a counselor in the woods of Camp Crystal Lake. Gun Media really fucked up and decided to favor Jason over the counselors, when really, it should be balanced. 

Balancing in video games is a HUGE Problem in regards to the community. Nobody can ever be satisfied with anything, but that doesn't mean you should fucking give Jason a whole textbook series on how to easily kill counselors for free... People tell me that there's literally only 2-3 pocket knives total excluding Tommy Jarvis in every single match on Friday The 13th. Not only that but the knives can also spawn at areas such as Tents, which some people do not know about, which makes it harder for them to survive. My suggestion is that instead of virtually fucking everyone over and taking out every single knife, just remove 2-3 knives from the matches total, not make it to where there's only 2-3 knives.

Gun did fuck up balance. Now they are moving the balance back to where it should be. 

Jason is favored to singular counselors. Not so much against a group of counselors working in tandem. 

On the whole, the game needs to be balanced so people playing Jason want to do so. Nobody is interested in being a pinata. 

1 hour ago, AldermachXI said:

lol...Sure it should.

That being said, I've still had plenty of matches where I found all the car parts myself, repaired it, and got the car started all by myself - as Vanessa.

So it isn't a requirement. You can do just fine without it against a less than stellar Jason. But if Jason ramps up the difficulty, it's up to the counselors to step up their game.

You're beyond ridiculous with this whole thing though. You've been preaching this garbage since the minute you signed up here, and you've been constantly rebutted with the simple concept of "teamwork". Everyone is painfully aware that not everyone plays that way, so you'll come across some matches where there's little to no teamwork. But that's not the game's fault - It's the players' fault.

It's like playing Monopoly with people who roll the dice and go around and around the board without ever buying any properties. Sure...they're in the game, but they're hardly playing it.

Bingo. In Quickplay, if you don't plan to use teamwork, you at least need to use the time the others are dying to get youself out. 

Also, nice analogy. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DorianRo said:

If Jason blitzes you from the beginning where you happen to spawn near a car/Phone when he goes to set his traps, you're SCREWED

That's actually not true. It USED to be for me, as I had a horrid habit of spawning at the phone house -- not learning that until I was inside. So I've gotten in the habit of just closing (not barricading) the first door behind me, then ducking into the nearest closet or under a bed for the first 30 or so seconds, just in case it happened to be the phone house. So far, every time it has been (except once), I'll hear Jason's music blare, then he sets his traps, maybe smashes the doors, them morphs away.

Then I find a radio and tell everyone where the phone house is. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Yeah, they'll get frustrated, but they'll see what the player is doing and learn from it. Newbie player plays as Jason and gets hit through a door. Tries it as a counselor and demasks Jason with it. Tries it against an experienced Jason and can't hit him because he properly combat stances it. Learns the uses and limitations of the tactic.

What you're saying is logical, but it just doesn't hold up in practice unfortunately. How many players even use block? How many even use combat stance at all? Or in your door combat example, get pummelled through a door and just keep going back to the canned anim without even once trying combat stance. It's just not an intuitive game, even high levels I run into still don't know basic things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Yes this has always been needed IMO. I've talked about it many, many times. New players don't know what to do, don't know how to go about teamwork, but most importantly don't know how to get better. The game just throws them in the match and says "figure it out." Which is fine to an extent but operating on the premise of a 1v7 game, you kind of have to make it clear that all 7 should be working together.

The game has never been any good at instructing newcomers, not even at teaching them the basics. Menu guide is a joke. Players needs to be able to learn in-game while playing. Those who wish to advance should also have a good knowledge base to draw from directly in-game.

I wholeheartedly 100% agree. Its a simple premise but so many aspects of the game and the decision making process for both sides is extremely complex. The game just drops new players into it. I have friends who play and ask me about things, not realizing that there are ten different answers to their question. The game really does a disservice to new players, which in a sense does a disservice to vets too, because then we get fed up. Hell, even picking counsellors is pretty much impossible for new players to figure out. Each counsellor should have a brief text description next to them, or next to their stats.

 For example, for Vanessa it could say "Vanessa is the fastest counsellor, making her adept at moving parts to objectives and distracting Jason in a pinch."  Just a gentle nudge for new players to mull over.

EDIT: Also agreed about your above post that was responding to players organically learning to combat stance doors. Some will learn, but others might learn one thing and forget another. Plus, many people don't play this kind of game expecting that much thought to go into everything. I mean, I do, but I also can't blame those who don't. It's a twenty minute round Friday the 13th game.  The game needs to lead players to water, and then we can start expecting them to drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Risinggrave said:

It also doesn't help that often Jason is fighting glitches as much as he is fighting against the counselors. 

Thankfully that seems to be less of an issue currently.

*Mutters about that boat coming back on the map.*

I was in that boat that escaped and It came back to haunt you.

Today @TheHansonGoons watched me use my flying halloween bunny suit.

I flew over the cabins, trees, water and out of the map. Nope, not today death! ? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...