Veevleigh

Part V: A Great Idea Really Badly Made?

18 hours ago, kohagan said:

I've been rewatching the series this past month, I haven't seen most of them for over 20 years and maybe part 5 I saw only once about 1988 so my memory was fuzzy on the whole film. 

These movies can't be criticised too harshly, they do exactly what you expect and were never Oscar contenders. Part 8 is the worst so far for me, I never saw that one before. 

I actually enjoyed parts 1-4 the most. I really didn't mind part 5, they tried something different, I found it amusing that they told you who the killer was in the toilet death scene from the graffiti on the wall. You see a shot after the victim was screaming like a girl in the toilet the camera showed 'be a man' scrawled by his leg. 

Then right before his death', Kil roy was here' at the side of his head and the correct place Roy was standing before he slams his spear through. 

I never noticed that before, pretty cool.

The first film was a murder mystery. It did a shitty job of it because you get introduced to the killer at the end of the film and you never had the chance to make a guess that would be correct. Part V however introduced Roy and his motives early. There are a few more hints after that too. So as far as murder mystery goes Part V did it better then the original movie. That dosen't make it a good movie but at least the mystery is solvable.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, Alien_Number_Six said:

The first film was a murder mystery. It did a shitty job of it because you get introduced to the killer at the end of the film and you never had the chance to make a guess that would be correct. Part V however introduced Roy and his motives early. There are a few more hints after that too. So as far as murder mystery goes Part V did it better then the original movie. That dosen't make it a good movie but at least the mystery is solvable.

I agree with you that as a premise the murder mystery is better, but I still say the problem with Part V is it's not clear it IS a mystery throughout the film. The mystery is presented more as 'how is Jason alive again?' than 'who is the killer?'. As an audience who are familiar with horror movies, we have no reason to suspect the killer ISN'T Jason. Even during the final sequence, it's not until the mask is knocked off we realise that it's not.

If the killer had been established as a copycat much earlier on I think the mystery would have worked better.

I actually liked Part V. It feels just like how a Friday the 13th film should. Yeah, the big twist regarding 'Jason' and trying to turn Tommy into the next murderer was stupid as hell. But if you ignore that crap and just look at the rest of the film, you have a very solid Friday film. Memorable characters. Memorable kills. Good soundtrack. Good use of a licensed song.

Whereas Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, and the remake have Jason, but don't feel like Friday the 13th films at all. There's more that goes into making a Friday film than merely having Jason. After all the original didn't have him as the killer either.

It´s a good movie with a great atmosphere and likeable characters.....but this movie is so heavily censored , that it is my least favorite Friday the 13th. Well I like most bad stuff (not in the way it´s , it´s good sense) , so yeah , I like Jason X.

There's more that goes into making a Friday film than merely having Jason.

Yeah , in my opinion the kills.