Sign in to follow this  
sbm76

How would you design the Jason teleportation ability?

The teleportation didn't bother me that much really during the E3 gameplay presentation, but I understand that it has been an issue to some. Of course Jason must be able to "teleport" in order to mimic Jason's ability from the movies to be at the right spot at the right time (he sure does know a lot of short-cuts around the Crystal Lake surroundings). Only thing that bothered me a little was the smoke animation that made Jason appear like some sort of magician. I am aware that it was an alpha version and that the devs are improving this area, but I am still curios to the rest of you have any good ideas for how the teleportation-ability should work including the possible animation that goes along with it...

• Like 2

I think it would be cool if it was a animation of him walking into the Jason players field of vision, as if it sped up time and your viewing him just arriving to the location...

(Screen goes black, Jason appears)

I don't think it needs much tweaking, just something like making the teleport effect black and smoky instead. The big cloud isn't the final version, like you say, so I could see something like that.

I would suggest bugs, just small insects flying up from the grass around his feet, when outdoors. Indoors, maybe some dust or grass from his boots.

I can almost see it being something extremely simple... like as in an basic editor, using somewhat of a 'crossfade' and an 'In from bottom right or left corner' Tansition to lower center screen.. (Leading to an Axe to face.)

Almost like a 1st person into 3rd person transition.

i think it would work better if he had to step into the shadows/bushes to teleport.

I like that idea, the best of all! Makes more sense, and WAS incorporated in the films (see part 2). Right on!

• Like 2

While it's more of a Halloween thing, I think having him be able to come out of certain shadowed areas after a teleport would work better than the smoke and mirrors effect. Just start him in as a silhouette with his mask coming into view first.

https://youtu.be/VO3yErXfvN8?t=58s

This would be even better if it happened in doors in not-so well lit buildings.

• Like 1

I like that idea, the best of all! Makes more sense, and WAS incorporated in the films (see part 2). Right on!

well just think what a  player must think if they see him just vanish into thin air when playing, it would look foolish and not be immersive. same could be said if he appears out of thin air too.

well just think what a  player must think if they see him just vanish into thin air when playing, it would look foolish and not be immersive. same could be said if he appears out of thin air too.

Absolutely! Having Jason mired in shadow, walk behind a tree or a bush, step around a corner etc, effectively turning the teleport skill "on" when out of the cone of sight of counselors, is the way to go. Might be tricky to implement in-engine, but would provide the "Shock and Awe" we see in the films when he reappears somewhere else to grab a counselor unaware. Would also encourage the Jason player to skulk in the shadows till he strikes as well, all the while, keeping the teleport ability at bay, even when fully charged, unless the player plays smartly.

• Like 1

I agree to a point you can just have him teleport in front of them that would be really shitty atmospherically/Anti fun.

Making it so you teleport to the nearest out of line of sight position would definitely be the way to go.

That or have a cast time on it of like 4-5 seconds so that you can aim it but you have to predict where the survivors will be 4 seconds from now. That would make it interesting.

So I have an idea...

We all know that Jason will be teleporting around the map and we all know relatively what it will look like from his point of view.

One of the questions that bothered people is... "How is Jason going to teleport, in the visual line of sight of a counselor player?"

Even though the game will be in the 3rd person, this is my idea.

Pretend you are being chased, Jason is on you, you have the camera on him, you are freaking out, a neat idea would be to have the screen sorta blink like an eye when Jason uses his ability.. Like symbolizing the counselor blinked and Jason is suddenly gone, the music, even going quiet suddenly, a sense of safety... everything is now calm.  Freaky to the player now because he/she knows Jason may OR MAY not still be around.  Whose to say that he didn't blink to another part of the map for someone else because he suddenly figured out that someone's close to done fixing a car... did he leave you alone?  You won't know.  All you can do is be alert and try to escape.

Does this not sound like an awesome way for the counselor to 'visually' witness Jason's teleporting.. "Don't blink... or he might get you".

Now the cool thing is, Jason couldn't be making you blink all over the place (it'd obviously have a limit or a cool down), it'd just be a really tense and horrific moment of not knowing if he's gone... or still after you.

The only other thing I could think of how it would be done is if Jason can only teleport when nobody has their camera on him.  So as long as Jason's being looked at, he won't be able to teleport anywhere.  Only problem with THAT is now if someone accidentally comes up on Jason and their camera picks him up, he'll know immediately if someone's around because he can't teleport.

That could be a cool thing, but might be REALLY annoying to the counselors because they'd never honestly be able to hide anywhere unless they are looking at Jason from far away.  This is a thing that could be balanced around.

What are some of you guys' theories?  :)

-Jonathan

• Like 1

Laphin, please be mindful to search topics and add to an existing topic if it already exists. I have merged your topic with this one.

I actually really dig Lapin's idea of having the players all blink. Reminds me of how Jason teleports in Part VIII; always in the one second when people aren't looking at him.