Hi there, I have recently been doing more slashing to help spread out counselors and avoid pocket knives. I have noticed that after a successful slash, there doesn't seem to be anything Jason can do to avoid their counterhit. Keep in mind that I need to test this more, but I wanted to see what other people are doing to avoid getting hit in the face lol.

Jasons swings are faster. If youre consistent enough with hits, youll actually cause an interrupt to a counselors actions. This can be anything from their swings to them trying to heal 

Just now, ThePunkPirate said:

Jasons swings are faster. If youre consistent enough with hits, youll actually cause an interrupt to a counselors actions. This can be anything from their swings to them trying to heal 

So would you recommend mashing the slash once you've landed one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woundcowboy said:

You have to "adjust your footing" as it were for how the animation is, but if youre wanting to commit to JUST slashing, than yes. Keep an eye on their character model to see how its moving. Youll get the hang of it eventually. 

23 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

Absolutely: slash, slash them again when they're trying to counter attack (which will prevent them from completing the swing, unless the game's shitty hit detection robs you), then keep slashing them when they start spraying (which will again keep them from healing). If they break away, knife them in the back and then run over to slash them some more.

When they die, move on to the next target. Stick with Pt 3, which has the key advantage of +WeaponStrength. Pt 4 is fun for pressuring people early game, but the -traps, -waterspeed, and -shift are brutal negatives to work around as a newer Jason. Pt 3 in rage mode is just as good at pressure as Pt 4, and much better at everything else.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Absolutely: slash, slash them again when they're trying to counter attack (which will prevent them from completing the swing, unless the game's shitty hit detection robs you), then keep slashing them when they start spraying (which will again keep them from healing). If they break away, knife them in the back and then run over to slash them some more.

When they die, move on to the next target. Stick with Pt 3, which has the key advantage of +WeaponStrength. Pt 4 is fun for pressuring people early game, but the -traps, -waterspeed, and -shift are brutal negatives to work around as a newer Jason. Pt 3 in rage mode is just as good at pressure as Pt 4, and much better at everything else.

Yea that can be rough, part 4 is my favorite though lol.

@woundcowboy @ThePunkPirate @Dr. Lecter

This is actually something I have been looking into lately. Contrary to what's been said here, I do not believe that it is possible for Jason to avoid a counterhit under the right circumstances. Jason's start-up frames are faster and will win in a direct exchange of attacks, that much is true. However, Jason does have recovery on his weapon swing and based on my own experience, a counselor can attack within that recovery window even after taking a hit. Jason won't be able to execute a swing fast enough in order to interrupt the counselor in time.

Notice I said under the right circumstances. The counselor must be positioned in a way that they are able to directly hit Jason on reaction. The only reason constant slashing works is because counselors are often not in the ideal position to counter, or are attempting to move away. But providing the counselor is head on with Jason and in close enough range, they can deliver a counterhit in time before the next swing or block. Recovery from swing prevents any defence. I have been hit even after entering block immediately but its state does not actually register (you're stunned in block stance).

I'm not inclined to go through all my clips to find examples, but I should be able to find at least one good example per Jason and counselor side to update this post with. I plan to test this properly sometime, but this is my opinion on the matter right now. 

15 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

@woundcowboy @ThePunkPirate @Dr. Lecter

This is actually something I have been looking into lately. Contrary to what's been said here, I do not believe that it is possible for Jason to avoid a counterhit under the right circumstances. Jason's start-up frames are faster and will win in a direct exchange of attacks, that much is true. However, Jason does have recovery on his weapon swing and based on my own experience, a counselor can attack within that recovery window even after taking a hit. Jason won't be able to execute a swing fast enough in order to interrupt the counselor in time.

Notice I said under the right circumstances. The counselor must be positioned in a way that they are able to directly hit Jason on reaction. The only reason constant slashing works is because counselors are often not in the ideal position to counter, or are attempting to move away. But providing the counselor is head on with Jason and in close enough range, they can deliver a counterhit in time before the next swing or block. Recovery from swing prevents any defence. I have been hit even after entering block immediately but its state does not actually register (you're stunned in block position).

I'm not inclined to go through all my clips to find examples, but I should be able to find at least one good example on both the Jason and counselor side to update this post with. I plan to test this properly sometime, but this is my opinion on the matter right now. 

My experience has been similar, I have no idea how to avoid being hit. As a former fighting game player, it seems crazy to me that there isn't enough hit stun to avoid their follow up. You are getting punished for being right.

I certainly did not mean to suggest there's literally no chance of a successful counterattack after you slash a counselor. It's just relatively unlikely if you're focusing on getting that next slash into them asap.

42 minutes ago, woundcowboy said:

My experience has been similar, I have no idea how to avoid being hit. As a former fighting game player, it seems crazy to me that there isn't enough hit stun to avoid their follow up. You are getting punished for being right.

The only way to potentially avoid the hit is to swing at an angle and distance which just clips the counselor's hitbox, and doesnt leave you in a position vulnerable to a direct counter (like swinging in their face will). They can't enter combat stance in time for aim assist, and their raw swing has none.

You just want to clip them with your weapon, and then immediately move out of their attack trajectory eg. 360 degree turn. The whiff will now put them in recovery which you can punish with the same spacing. It's not always going to work, but it's your best bet IMO. I will add that this is highly circumstantial, and it is always preferable to bait the counselor rather than commit first, as I don't believe they are able to counter in time after being punished for the previous attack. 

I honestly don't think slashing is that great. If good counselors know that you will be slashing 100% all they have to do is duck under your swings and take advantage of his bad hitboxes up close. I've done it as a counselor and I force Jason to grab me for pocket knives stuns after being annoyed by that. 

There is also more med sprays. So any chance I can heal up, puts Jason back to square one having to swing some more. 

Slashing is better then grabbing now. But honestly its not much of an improvement.