Sign in to follow this  
final_guy

Shift Tips?

I've been playing Friday the 13th since the beta days, though usually only 1-2 hours before bed a few nights a week.  Still, I've managed to get to Level 40.  Just like with the movies, I'm more interested in rooting for the surviving counselors than cheering Jason kills.  Hence, my match preference is set to Counselor and luck/probability only has me playing as Jason about once in every 10-15 games.  I really like Savini Jason since he looks awesome, has scary theme music and is kinda rare in the Steam community nowadays.  Unfortunately, he can't run and I'm not good at Shifting.

Any tips on how to be a better Shifter?  I'm using an Xbox controller attached my laptop (which I HDMI into a flat screen TV) for my bootleg console experience.  My primary problem is I can't seem to stop shifting at the right moment (a few steps ahead of a counselor).  My secondary problem is that sometimes the joystick seems a bit too sensitive and I end up by the side of the lake instead of on the path.

In some of the Lobbies, I've heard tangential stories that a mouse is better for Shift accuracy.  Not really enthused about going back to keyboard play, especially since I'm on a laptop with a touchpad.  But if a mouse truly is superior for those sensitive operations, then I could be motivated to switch (with a good mouse recommendation).  But what I'd really appreciate are some tips on how to get better at Shifting with a controller.

Don't use a controller unless you absolutely have to (i.e. you're playing on a console). It's a lot easier to control Shift with a mouse. You can be a lot more accurate with the "flight" of Shift while using a mouse. You can make finite movements a lot more easily.

Not many aspects of the game call for a mouse. So I understand why people use a controller. But for Shift and Throwing Knives, a mouse is WAY better.

Unfortunately, as Tattooey stated, Jason's nerfed grab has made good shifting essentially useless. You can Shift to the perfect position and you'll still whiff on the grab. It's currently broken.

Ok, no rush to migrate to a mouse then!  I don't even like playing as Jason.

Do you think any counselor-centric actions are particularly better with keyboard/mouse controls?  I'm not that great at fixing things with counselors stupider than Kenny, but not sure leaving the controller behind would address that.

20 minutes ago, final_guy said:

Ok, no rush to migrate to a mouse then!  I don't even like playing as Jason.

Do you think any counselor-centric actions are particularly better with keyboard/mouse controls?  I'm not that great at fixing things with counselors stupider than Kenny, but not sure leaving the controller behind would address that.

I play a lot of games on PC, so I do tend to prefer mouse and keyboard where available. I do also prefer repairs being on the mouse buttons over the LB/RB buttons on the controller. I can be snappier with it, making repairs with bad repair counselors a bit easier. The on-screen mouse prompts are also easier for me to pick up on. Overall I don't see the benefit to using a controller with this game at all. Which is contrary to most people...A lot of F13 players on PC use a controller. I think they're throwing away the inherent advantages of a mouse in doing so...but that's just me.