Jump to content
Whitericejohnson

Add “DBD” style of spawn preference

Recommended Posts

Dear Forum Readers,

I have a great idea to make this game reach its full potential! First, I’ve searched through forums on this site, and while there are forums on “make the spawn preference better”, there is nothing on this exact topic that I can find... So this is a no bitching zone. Now the idea. Gun media announced they intended to fix spawn preferences, here’s an idea how. Why don’t they, after adding dedicated servers, add a Dead by Daylight style spawn preference, where if you want to be Jason you host, and anyone else just joins the game. I think it’s an awesome idea to fix one of the most frustrating things about this game. What’s your opinion? Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder.

There might be enough people that don't wanna play as Jason. I know a bunch. And I know that I won't wanna play as Jason more than 3 times in a row (I've gotten him 4 times in a row once and by the 3rd and 4th time I got bored). 

But I know I would rather pick and choose when I am Jason.

Would it be too much to have that added as an alternate beta feature to see if it would work?   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Whitericejohnson

It's definitely been discussed before but maybe never as the topic of a thread.

I'm for it. A queue for Jason players and a queue for counselors. There are enough counselor players to support it.

Seriously- if they had told customers that you maybe get to play Jason 1 out of every 8 rounds I don't think it would have sold as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Whitericejohnson said:

Dear Forum Readers,

I have a great idea to make this game reach its full potential! First, I’ve searched through forums on this site, and while there are forums on “make the spawn preference better”, there is nothing on this exact topic that I can find... So this is a no bitching zone. Now the idea. Gun media announced they intended to fix spawn preferences, here’s an idea how. Why don’t they, after adding dedicated servers, add a Dead by Daylight style spawn preference, where if you want to be Jason you host, and anyone else just joins the game. I think it’s an awesome idea to fix one of the most frustrating things about this game. What’s your opinion? Thank you!

In one lobby there would probably only be like 4 counsellors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As @bewareofbears said, this has definitely been discussed before. I think I remember them giving some sort of generic response about not enough people would want to play as a counselor.

I like the idea personally, at least let us have the option to try it. However i did consider the amount of people still playing this game and here is some food for thought.

With all of the Jason players searching at once, and needing 7 times the amount of those wanting to choose counselor, finding matches could take an hour. How many of those are going to stay in the game. I think it should be Jason is always host as well to prevent quitters from ending the game.

I know with only needing two achievements left, 500 and 1000 games played as Jason, I would probably only play as Jason though. I am sure plenty of others are in that same boat. Except for the tape collectors, which I gave up on when they released Tommy tapes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I like the idea personally, at least let us have the option to try it. However i did consider the amount of people still playing this game and here is some food for thought.

This is exactly the problem, and why this idea probably wouldn't work in the current state of the game. We could just end up with more people hosting lobbies as Jason than people actually in lobbies. There's a good reason for that and it's not just because people want to play Jason. Bear with me while I explain this.

As Jason, providing the lobby someone's up against isn't too far above their skill level, they get a certain level of guaranteed enjoyment. There's only 1 thing to do, which is kill counselors, and it solely rests on them. It's an engaging experience whether the team is coordinated or not. 

As counselor however, having a good, exciting experience is entirely dependant on the team someone is playing with. If the team are uncooperative randoms, they can spend much of the match alone in a drawer-simulator. It is better now with parts marking (which doesn't impact balance simply brings matches closer to how coordinated teams play them) but without interaction between counselors the experience can still be either dull and drawn out, or a fast trip to a long spectate mode. The only thrilling thing will be the Jason confrontation, but that is likely to just end up a repetitive game of fighting and looping on your own until time out.

The root of the problem is that the game was built for a large-scale experience where everyone is working together and communicating. This is obvious due to the number of players required, the size of the maps, the number of things to do and the need for communication. Unfortunately, the game is not popular enough, and the player base not large enough to consistently provide this experience. So the design often cannot be made use of to its full potential, and instead of the big experience it aims for, we often get a boring and aimless one.

I'm going to cut that short here and hope I've explained this clearly. If people are interested enough to reply I think I have a solution for how to fix this problem, and subsequently make a DbD style spawn preference work (which would be a big help for the game IMO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This item has been discussed prior and it is something being looked into. Something to the effect that people who have their preference set to counselor will never be selected as Jason which does two things. 1 it does not force someone who doesn't want to play Jason as playing Jason and also increases chances that those with a Jason preference are more likely to be selected as Jason. Also I believe the algorithm is being looked at as well to also help with Jason selections. 

I do not believe separate queues are the answer and would take additional work to change how the online system works for finding a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JPops said:

This item has been discussed prior and it is something being looked into. Something to the effect that people who have their preference set to counselor will never be selected as Jason which does two things. 1 it does not force someone who doesn't want to play Jason as playing Jason and also increases chances that those with a Jason preference are more likely to be selected as Jason. Also I believe the algorithm is being looked at as well to also help with Jason selections. 

Indeed, but I still don't think it will solve the issue of why the majority will still choose Jason preference. Counselor Only will be in the minority, and for bigger reasons than the most obvious one (which is that they want to control Jason). Have a read of my post above for more insight. 

Also please don't lock the thread if it's been brought up before, since if it gets enough interest I've got a pretty good discussion to follow up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

Indeed, but I still don't think it will solve the issue of why the majority will still choose Jason preference. Counselor Only will be in the minority, and for bigger reasons than the most obvious one (which is that they want to control Jason). Have a read of my post above for more insight. 

Also please don't lock the thread if it's been brought up before, since if it gets enough interest I've got a pretty good discussion to follow up with.

Well your response is exactly why different queues are a bad idea. if a majority of players want to play Jason you are never going to get a game going. Only one out of 8 people can be Jason, if everyone elects to be Jason that's going to leave games far and few between and long queue times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, JPops said:

Well your response is exactly why different queues are a bad idea. if a majority of players want to play Jason you are never going to get a game going. Only one out of 8 people can be Jason, if everyone elects to be Jason that's going to leave games far and few between and long queue times. 

Currently, yes. But I have an idea of how to make it work. Will update this post later when I have time as it might be a bit long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, what happens if this new option for say Counselor only spawn, which makes sure you are not selected as Jason and you get a lobby fully of "Counselor only" spawn. How does that work? Logically it would make someone be Jason, but then we'll run into the issues of that person quitting cause they don't want to be Jason or they fuck around the entire game.

One game the guy stood in the shack as Jason and never moved for the entire game while we fixed, repaired and did everything possible we could short of killing him. next match started, he was there playing like it never happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...