BloodOnTheRocks

Love that they added Part IV, but he just doesnt look right.

Lemmee say Im spoiled by all the rest of the Jason models. So our expectations are super high. And now that I am so spoiled by how awesome the rest look....I have to say that Part IV is off. The mask doesnt look right and the face reaaallllly doesnt look nearly as accurate as the rest. I think the unmasked face bothers me more than anything. The teeth and jaw are off and its missing the wrinkles on the one side of his face seem to be not nearly as pronounced as in the film. It just overall looks way off. Love the way he is implemented and the music is amazing. But the model is just off....

....or is it just me?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

Lemmee say Im spoiled by all the rest of the Jason models. So our expectations are super high. And now that I am so spoiled by how awesome the rest look....I have to say that Part IV is off. The mask doesnt look right and the face reaaallllly doesnt look nearly as accurate as the rest. I think the unmasked face bothers me more than anything. The teeth and jaw are off and its missing the wrinkles on the one side of his face seem to be not nearly as pronounced as in the film. It just overall looks way off. Love the way he is implemented and the music is amazing. But the model is just off....

....or is it just me?

Not just you. His lips are over exaggerated to hell.

The mask looked fine to me but I didn't do an in depth look.

• Like 1

I Agree with this his face looks derpy looking I expected that scary eerie look he had with the almost blackish eyes grayer pale skin wrinkled he looks underwhelming

Looks accurate to me. Mask has a bit of extra blood on it, but the movies continuity seems to change a bit. Overall shape and body build seem good to me.

check out these BTS shots. another member Noonek9503 brought this to my attention 

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2017/10/effects-artist-kevin-yagher-posts-rare.html?m=1

The details are there. The developers really got the unmasked look nearly spot on.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

Looks accurate to me. Mask has a bit of extra blood on it, but the movies continuity seems to change a bit. Overall shape and body build seem good to me.

check out these BTS shots. another member Noonek9503 brought this to my attention 

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2017/10/effects-artist-kevin-yagher-posts-rare.html?m=1

The details are there. The developers really got the unmasked look nearly spot on.

I feel like the face is waaaay to fat. And the wrinkles on the more upper portion of his cheek arent there. And i agree with the above post that the color is way off. 

Part IVs face was always the scariest to me and has always been my favorite. Its iconic Jason to me. And the game model i feel just realllly lacks that same feel. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

I feel like the face is waaaay to fat. And the wrinkles on the more upper portion of his cheek arent there. And i agree with the above post that the color is way off. 

Part IVs face was always the scariest to me and has always been my favorite. Its iconic Jason to me. And the game model i feel just realllly lacks that same feel. 

That link I posted seems to stretch the image on my phone. Are you viewing it on a proper monitor?

Also the movie was very underexposed. Dark and shadows. Under bluish moon light. That has a huge effect on tonality. I think a lot of the warmth people see in J4 games skin is attributed to different lighting, and of course it being a digital medium and not under exposed film stock.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dandop1984 said:

That link I posted seems to stretch the image on my phone. Are you viewing it on a proper monitor?

Also the movie was very underexposed. Dark and shadows. Under bluish moon light. That has a huge effect on tonality. I think a lot of the warmth people see in J4 games skin is attributed to different lighting, and of course it being a digital medium and not under exposed film stock.

Yeah I expanded the pics. Ill agree that perhaps the lighting in the film added some of the skin tone that I think of....but the face is still way off to me.

THIS is what I think of for part 4. 

JasonVoorheesinFridayThe13thTheFina.jpg

@dandop1984 I think the image stretch problem also happens to me.

For the other members, here is a comparison:

In-game

ETpl6fD.png

Bust

tgHGxUI.jpg

Movie

Yaeger_BTS2.png

yaeger_BTS4.jpg

yaeger_BTS3.jpg

The Bust problem is the "pulled out" lower teeth, which the game avoids and fixes the problem.

The in-game mouth and nose are too big and wide, left side of the mandible needs to be larger, lacks some wrinkles and the head needs to be a bit bigger in the back and left sides.

• Like 1

I also think the mouth being open in game throws it a lot. His lips were a lot more closed in the movie....only held open and apart seemingly by his deformity. I think overall the face is toosquat and round....out of proportion....off color and missing wrinkles that added a ton to the creepiness and evil feel of Part IV. 

EDIT: The bust also looks way off from the movie to me. Maybe its just impossible to really recreate part IV. It was one of those moments from my childhood that really made me uncomfortable andade F13 the best horror franchise in my mind. 

They definitely exaggerated Part 4's face. But think about it, they had less time to fine-tune him. They had 2 years to fine-tune the other Jasons but part 4 was the first dlc killer and it's been 5 months. They should tweak the face a bit.

4 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

They definitely exaggerated Part 4's face. But think about it, they had less time to fine-tune him. They had 2 years to fine-tune the other Jasons but part 4 was the first dlc killer and it's been 5 months. They should tweak the face a bit.

That's a good explanation! However, Part 6 Jason's model, most motably the mask and head, still sucks. So, I think it still a matter of competence after all.

To me any Jason NOT played by Kane is always going to look a little off, but that's due to the motion capture and body builds mostly. There's a reason I find 7, 8, and 9 to be the best looking in terms of authenticity. The off puttingness of the others is not limited to 4 but also 2, 3, and 6. But that said, the face isn't all that bad looking. You have very little to go off of in the actual film, and the lighting and angles don't help matters when it comes to clarity. Looks good to me. I'm not going to nitpick it at all.

My only complaint is that I wish they'd add more shadows to the eyeholes. I hate seeing his eyes so clearly at all times.

5 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

friday-the-13th-the-game-part-iv-jason-1

Friday-Jason04.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

JasonVoorheesinFridayThe13thTheFina.jpg

Says more than any text post can. Thanks. Hes lost all scariness he had from the movie. 

The music is awesome though!!!!

What bothers me the most of IV is the upper body.  His shoulders look too big and the shirt (especially the chest and waist) looks too tight.

7 minutes ago, Maggot Head said:

My only complaint is that I wish they'd add more shadows to the eyeholes. I hate seeing his eyes so clearly at all times.

I agree that the eyes are too visible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

Says more than any text post can. Thanks. Hes lost all scariness he had from the movie. 

The music is awesome though!!!!

? You're looking at a totally different angle with different lighting. In the film, Jason had knocked out the light source (a lamp) during his fight with Trish, so he was enveloped in darkness. By the time we see him demasked in the film it looks way different than that high angle fully lit pic from the game there.

It's not 100% accurate no (Personally I noticed the right ear being a bit too protruding myself) but it's pretty close looking in similar dark lighting.

5 minutes ago, Maggot Head said:

? You're looking at a totally different angle with different lighting. In the film, Jason had knocked out the light source (a lamp) during his fight with Trish, so he was enveloped in darkness. By the time we see him demasked in the film it looks way different than that high angle fully lit pic from the game there.

It's not 100% accurate no (Personally I noticed the right ear being a bit too protruding myself) but it's pretty close looking in similar dark lighting.

Its not the lighting. The mouth looks waaaaaay off. Like not even from the same person off. The cheek is waaaaaay off. The whole vibe is way off. The entire shape of the head is different. Its not just color. Im not trying to bash the devs. Theyve done a great job overall. But this one just doesnt look as good as the others. 

8 hours ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

I also think the mouth being open in game throws it a lot. His lips were a lot more closed in the movie....only held open and apart seemingly by his deformity. I think overall the face is toosquat and round....out of proportion....off color and missing wrinkles that added a ton to the creepiness and evil feel of Part IV. 

EDIT: The bust also looks way off from the movie to me. Maybe its just impossible to really recreate part IV. It was one of those moments from my childhood that really made me uncomfortable andade F13 the best horror franchise in my mind. 

Actually, the bust is perfect.

Look: http://jasonlivessince1980.blogspot.com.br/2017/08/own-part-4-movie-mold-bust.html?m=1

1 hour ago, BloodOnTheRocks said:

Its not the lighting. The mouth looks waaaaaay off. Like not even from the same person off. The cheek is waaaaaay off. The whole vibe is way off. The entire shape of the head is different. Its not just color. Im not trying to bash the devs. Theyve done a great job overall. But this one just doesnt look as good as the others. 

Lol. Nah, that's all some pretty big exaggeration. The face isn't perfect no, but it isn't "waaaaaay off" as you put it. The lip, teeth, ear, and perhaps cheeks could use tweaking, but there's a difference between "needs tweaking" and "waaaaaay off". When I first saw Part 4 unmasked in the game it was out in the rain, in the dark. So in THAT setting he looked perfect to me. Wasn't until I got a better look in this thread that I could see the differences.

I remember seeing behind the scenes photos of the Final Chapter make up years ago and thinking just how different it looked when it was in full lighting and not JUST those shots from the film I remembered. I remember thinking just how big his lip actually is, or how much his teeth protrude out when in the film shots a lot of it just isn't shown well enough in the dark. That's why comparing that fully lit in-game shot is kinda bogus. At least put it all under similar situations first.

Leave it to forum dwellers though I suppose.

• Like 1