Been there.. BUT, last games as Jason I've had quite the opposite experience. Grabs only work short distance, sometimes missing even with counselor standing right infront of me. Honestly, not one "magnet-grab" for a long time. Also getting very frustrated with kills not activating and counselors getting away...

1 hour ago, lasse_hei said:

Been there.. BUT, last games as Jason I've had quite the opposite experience. Grabs only work short distance, sometimes missing even with counselor standing right infront of me. Honestly, not one "magnet-grab" for a long time. Also getting very frustrated with kills not activating and counselors getting away...

Hmm, interesting. Which Jason(s)?

1 minute ago, BigRed said:

Hmm, interesting. Which Jason(s)?

Mostly playing with part3 due to small maps and because counslers keep ganging up on you. Sometimes part8. 8 problem was kills not activating during first minutes

1 minute ago, lasse_hei said:

Mostly playing with part3 due to small maps and because counslers keep ganging up on you. Sometimes part8. 8 problem was kills not activating during first minutes

I used to play Part 3 pretty religiously until I got Part 9. His kills are awesome. I honestly think you're better trying to just melee kill at the start and with ballsy counsellors because they usually have a pocket knife. 

I just had an interesting idea about what could be done with Jason's grab animation and range.

If Jason's grab range cannot simply be reduced for game-balancing reasons, especially when more and more Counselors are getting better at surviving, why not readjust his grabbing animation so that it would make more sense to the players?

Instead of appearing to have magnet hands when he tries to grab a Counselor from afar, just have Jason perform a different animation than his usual grabbing animation where he performs a quick dash and grab in a direction.

That way, he has two distinctive grabbing animations that changes depending on the distance between himself and a Counselor he's chasing.

Based on the videos,

It seems that his grab range is about the same as his physical height in-game, extending from the edge of the hit box at his chest. The swath appears to be about 45° either side of the axis he is facing. His inability to stand on furniture and grab the counselor below him suggests that the grab swath is measured from Jason's shoulder/upper-chest level. It would also explain why he could grab the counselor on the stairs. Her feet were still at his shoulder level when the grab was executed.

In regards to the extended reach, I suspect they made it as long as they did so Jason could catch counselors that he was chasing should they be moving directly away from him. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but if Jason swings at a counselor with his melee weapon and they are moving (jogging) away from him, he will miss unless they are physically touching him when the swing starts. Same holds true from a counselor trying to hit a fast-walking/jogging Jason from behind if he is moving away. it'll just miss. The windup for the attack is too slow in each instance to make contact with the hit box before they clear the strike zone. If Jason's grab length was proportional to his actual arm length, he would almost never be able to grab a counselor moving at a jog (or better) moving directly away from him. They would clear the strike zone before the grab resolved. Considering the NEED for Jason to catch counselors running away, shortening his grab significantly may effectively cripple him with the current design

Not sure how they might go about shortening the reach, but making it still effective enough in a chase to actually get a hold on somebody moving directly away at more than a walk/limp. I would certainly say that he doesn't need a 45° swath on each side of his facing.

18 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Should be shortened somewhat, but inverting the apparent cone shape would help a lot more. As it stands now, the closer you are to a counselor the harder it is to grab them...better be facing exactly the right way or you're whiffing the grab....

I also agree that the swath should probably be inverted. Narrow out towards where Jason is reaching, and wider at his chest. It makes it easier to grab someone up close and personal, but requires a more accurate hit at distance.

On 9/19/2017 at 10:45 AM, Impactedmedal38 said:

Found this on discord. Perfect meme ?

IMG_0618.JPG

pretty much how he is in game. smh. this needs to be fix

3 hours ago, Alkavian said:

Based on the videos,

It seems that his grab range is about the same as his physical height in-game, extending from the edge of the hit box at his chest. The swath appears to be about 45° either side of the axis he is facing. His inability to stand on furniture and grab the counselor below him suggests that the grab swath is measured from Jason's shoulder/upper-chest level. It would also explain why he could grab the counselor on the stairs. Her feet were still at his shoulder level when the grab was executed.

In regards to the extended reach, I suspect they made it as long as they did so Jason could catch counselors that he was chasing should they be moving directly away from him. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but if Jason swings at a counselor with his melee weapon and they are moving (jogging) away from him, he will miss unless they are physically touching him when the swing starts. Same holds true from a counselor trying to hit a fast-walking/jogging Jason from behind if he is moving away. it'll just miss. The windup for the attack is too slow in each instance to make contact with the hit box before they clear the strike zone. If Jason's grab length was proportional to his actual arm length, he would almost never be able to grab a counselor moving at a jog (or better) moving directly away from him. They would clear the strike zone before the grab resolved. Considering the NEED for Jason to catch counselors running away, shortening his grab significantly may effectively cripple him with the current design

Not sure how they might go about shortening the reach, but making it still effective enough in a chase to actually get a hold on somebody moving directly away at more than a walk/limp. I would certainly say that he doesn't need a 45° swath on each side of his facing.

This hits an important point: the grab is not so crazy when used in normal situations (faster counselor running from slower Jason, resulting in a net increasing distance between them during grab's "swing" period) and only looks really OP when you see it used in an entirely unrealistic situation (stationary counselor).

• Like 1