Just now, GeneiJin said:

This is the biggest issue when playing on PS4 is getting consistent Horizontal swings out of combat stance due the mapping on R2 triggers  >:( .  This is less of a issue on PC even with a pad as you can remap button though steam (as I do).  Seriously, Gun need to allow custom mapping officially.

I edited my post above to include a method for only vertical attacks if need be. Simply hold down R2 during every hit until its animation finishes (indicated by lit throwing knife in the abilities menu).

2 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

I edited my post above to include a method for only vertical attacks if need be. Simply hold down R2 during every hit until its animation finishes (indicated by lit throwing knife in the abilities menu).

Oh I'm aware of this, lol.  The issue for me is actually with counselors getting the vertical swing when you need horizontal :P . Vertical swing and it's terrible tracking claims so many victims lol.

13 minutes ago, GeneiJin said:

Oh I'm aware of this, lol.  The issue for me is actually with counselors getting the vertical swing when you need horizontal :P . Vertical swing and it's terrible tracking claims so many victims lol.

Don't believe I've encountered this actually. But in Jason's case, what would really make sense (and I have no idea why it wasn't this way to begin with) is to have the horizontal attack mapped to left trigger in CS. Since that trigger actually has no function at all in CS, and it's logical that both attacks should be available in it.

At least for counselors you have a dodge function for left trigger, but for Jason it's just blank. It's not like you can grab in CS so there's no reason not to provide the other attack there. 

DID YOU HEAR THAT? – Sounds and effects to know

So I have been piddling around on the forums and noticed something that I feel I should do a quick write-up for to help the newer players. There seems to be a lack of knowledge in regards to the visual and sound cues you hear while playing the game. Many of us who have been playing for a long time know what most of this stuff means, but I’ve even seen a few veteran players who didn’t know what cues meant. Let’s try to fix that shall we?

Sound Cues:

You will hear many cues in the game. Let’s start with the basic one you hear right at the beginning of a match whether you play Jason or a counselor.

-          Ki Ki Ki MA MA MA – The iconic effect means that one of Jason’s abilities have unlocked. You hear it right at the start because Jason gets Morph immediately. The 2nd time you hear it, Sense unlocks, the 3rd Shift unlocks, lastly Stalk unlocks.

-          A quick “zap/buzz” (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check on either the car battery OR a generator box that was broken by Jason.

-          A hard metallic smack/clank (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the boat propeller.

-          A hollow metallic warping sound (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the gas in either the boat OR a car.

-          A triple “dial tone sound” (heard as Jason) - This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the phone fuse.

-          A “grunt and a thud” – This is the sound of a counselor passing through a window. If you enter a building and you know a counselor is there, then hear this, they have made an exit or someone else has made an entrance.

-          A creaking cabinet sound – This is the sound of a counselor entering a wardrobe hiding spot or an outhouse.

-          A wooden thud w/ slight echo – This is the sound of a door being closed.

-          A click – The sound of a flashlight turning on/off OR a door being locked (but not barricaded).

-          A sliding/scraping sound ending in a wooden thud – The sound of a door barricade being engaged.

-          A soft-fast scraping sound – A window opening or closing.

-          A really quiet slow slide – The sound of a counselor going under a bed to hide.

-          Car Start – This should be obvious. NOTE: YOU WILL NOT HEAR THE BOAT START!

VHS Static:

You will see this effect if Jason is within 30m of you and activates either Shift, Morph, or Stalk. If Jason activates Stalk, and you are within 30m of him, you will not see VHS static for the other abilities if he then chooses to use them. On a side note, Stalk also mutes Jason’s footsteps and he moves silently.

Just a few things to help you if you don’t know what the sound cues mean yet. Hope it helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just going to post a couple guides here, one of them is a re-post but I intend to add more to the thread in this format with accompanying video.

Goodbye to Door Combat

1. Enter combat stance and stay at left side of door

2. Lightly and quickly tap right trigger once (eg. R2) to perform free swing / horizontal attack in CS. This prevents being sucked into canned animation when attack is done outside of CS.

3. Attack recovery can be cancelled with block on hit, good to do after final door hit for safety. Note that cancelling with block is only possible here if weapon collides with environment eg. Door frame, cabin wall.

Double Trapping + Re-trapping

1. Enter combat stance to position Jason centre to objective, place trap as close as possible. Use combat stance to retreat in the same position until 2nd trap is able to be placed. Note that the abilities menu with trap indicator will only be visible in CS after the scoreboard has been viewed.

2. How this works is as follows - if counselor disables trap furthest from objective, they will still need to disable the one closest to it. If counselor disables trap closest to objective first, they will fall into the furthest trap upon interaction with objective. If both traps are tanked with no med spray in between, counselor will die. 

Note: this was recorded in online, in offline this will not work as bots are able to perfectly bypass the trap closest to objective, but human players cannot.

3. For re-trapping (ignore the annoying Adam in the clip) - trap is best replaced by standing at the side of the objective, using CS to align Jason in the ideal position. Re-trapping with the objective in front of you tends not to work (game will not allow you to set it).

Note: I am aware of the other methods for double trapping, which include 360 degree turns until next trap is able to be set, but they require more time and are not as accurate. The method outlined is the ideal one as it is fast and reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Just going to post a couple guides here, one of them is a re-post but I intend to add more to the thread in this format with accompanying video.

Linked your article to the front page. Thanks for the input Tommy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Linked your article to the front page. Thanks for the input Tommy.

• Like 1

I have not seen this trick being mentioned yet: when you grab counselor who has pocket knife, take a quick look on your surroundings for possible escape routes and try to position Jason so that you can block them. Remember that Jason takes two steps back and depending of the angle of incident, he will slide more or less along the hitbox of obstacle. This way you can buy yourself some time. Counselor is forced spend time to find next possible escape route. It´s very effective if you do this in rooms with only one way out. Also if you do it correctly after you have grabbed car driver, you can block driver from getting in the car. I always try to do this trick against bots.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, Alkavian said:

A hard metallic smack/clank (heard as Jason) – This is the sound effect for a failed Repair QTE check installing the boat propeller.

This is a death sentence for counselors. The gas and battery have multiple options for Jason as to where it was, but this is the one QTE I stress over even as Deb or LaChappa.

15 minutes ago, MRWood204 said:

This is a death sentence for counselors. The gas and battery have multiple options for Jason as to where it was, but this is the one QTE I stress over even as Deb or LaChappa.

Lol. Start up is a freebie. Don't dare screw up on the prop and you're in business.

@Alkavian

@Tommy86  or anyone else...

Big fan of your work on here. Here’s a question, I’m looking for some help. Some background, I’m level 150 on PS4, consider myself very good at the game, probably have logged more hours than 95% of the people on here. I’m also a completist. So I’m one of those people that is obsessed with getting every tape, every trophy, and most of all, every badge.

On the counselor badge side, I have 3 badges left to finish, the trapping Jason one, the boat fix one, and the boat escape one. For those I know I’m just going to have to just keep plugging away, though I would take any advice on these ones. My main question is below.

I have every badge completed for Jason except for 2, the drowning counselors one and the flipping the boat one. Now, I’m only 8 away from the drowning one, so that is going to happen sooner or later. But as amazing as this seems, in all of my hours playing this game, I’ve only received badge points for flipping the boat 8 times. I assume the final number for this badge is 31, which means I have to flip the boat succssfully in 23 more seperate rounds. At my current rate, this is going to literally take years, as I’m current averaging 1 a month. Keep in mind, I only play in public lobbies and usually by myself, and I want to do it legitimately, not go into a private match with people and have them let me flip them. So, all that being said, tips to get more boat flips?

On 11.9.2017 at 7:57 PM, Alkavian said:

WHAAA…ut?!! DEFINING AND DEFYING THE METAGAME.

How many times have you been minding your own business at the start of the game thinking, “awesome, there are no objectives nearby”, and then all of a sudden Jason appears and kills you? If you’ve been playing awhile this has probably happened. About that same time accusations of noobery begin to fly and the salt fills the lake up like the Dead Sea.

rBHXHJ8.jpg

Many times when this happens, it is in fact a new Jason who hasn’t fallen into the current metagame thinking. Sometimes, however, we get an unusual breed who throws a wrench in everyone’s works by playing against the metagame. I really like these people because they can freshen the routine and keep you on your toes.

For those who don’t understand what the “meta” or “metagame” is, I’ll briefly explain. The metagame is the strategy employed to maximize efficiency within a given set of play parameters. It is understanding the rules of a particular “game” and figuring out which set of variables will ensure the best chance of “winning”. It is “gaming the game”. All of this ties back to Game Theory. Now personally, while I understand the “metagame” concept and principle, it can take away some of the fun of playing within a game for sake of enjoyment. Unfortunately, you cannot ignore it, because min/maxers, exploiters, griefers, and the extremely competitive individuals will lean heavily on the metagame.

So what does defying the metagame do besides get you called a noob? Well that’s the thing, it can get you more kills as Jason; or throw off a metagaming player in general. If you can make someone throw away that safety net of gameplay and make them question the validity of the metagame they are following – they will make mistakes that get them killed.

As examples:

1) Instead of trapping the phone first, make a play for a powerbox near the phone. Cut the power and if Tommy’s radio cabin is there, Jarvis isn’t coming until it is fixed. Then get the phone box. Two birds with one stone. Trap that particular power box (the one that powers Tommy's radio) for extra chaffing and a bit more protection from being killed by Tommy later.

2) If you kill a counselor and you see some good inventory items drop, place a trap (near but not on the items) then “kick” the counselors body onto the trap. People can’t seem to resist kicking a body of a fallen comrade and often they won’t see the trap as they bulldoze their buddy for the items. *clink*. Gotcha.

These are not the only things you CAN do, but I figured I’d throw out a couple of possibilities. The thing to take away from this:

a. Doing something unusual doesn’t make you a noob if you are in fact doing it for a specific counter-play/counter-meta reason.

b. Salt makes everything taste better. Even victory. Don’t be afraid to try new strategies (especially on non-organized randoms). If it works…test it on your friends or more organized groups.

c. IF it’s STUPID, but works, IT’S NOT STUPID.

tenor.gif

I have a question you said, if you play now as Jason you should, if they drop good inventory items guess you mean now the main objective parts, otherwise it would really not make any sense of it to waste any traps for it, "kick'" now the counselors right?, but how exactly did you do that?

I have discovered another new, slightly faster way to destroy doors without entering combat stance. Almost like in the "Goodbye to Door Combat" video above on this site.

1) Move Jason on the door so that his right half is against the door 2) Turn camera to face Jason (crucial step to pull this off) 3) Start hitting the attack button.

Jason is now swinging his weapon like in combat stance but the weapon seems to never get stuck on the door. Also it seems that Jason can start the next swing again slightly quicker compared to combat stance. Turning the camera fast enough is important achieve this speed boost. Tested on PC.

4 hours ago, Treymaker said:

@Alkavian

@Tommy86 all that being said, tips to get more boat flips?

Honestly, private matches with good players. You want to earn it? It's my best suggestion because of where you'll be challenged.  In QP too many people are brain dead but in private, against a coordinated group, you'll see the boat get going more often. At least in my experience.

3 hours ago, jetlee2777 said:

I have a question you said, if you play now as Jason you should, if they drop good inventory items guess you mean now the main objective parts, otherwise it would really not make any sense of it to waste any traps for it, "kick'" now the counselors right?, but how exactly did you do that?

If you see sprays, keys, knives, and the like drop, put a trap next to the bait and obscure the trap with the dead counselor's body. Works way better in dark areas and off of pathways. The leaf scatter of a Jason trap is masked better this way. With item marking in play, your odds become better that your bait will be taken if the counselor had something special...like the fuse. Keep the corpse booby trap as near the bait items as possible.

Edit: "kick" just means use Jason's feet to nudge the dead counselor where you need them.

10 hours ago, Mr. HK 92 said:

I have discovered another new, slightly faster way to destroy doors without entering combat stance. Almost like in the "Goodbye to Door Combat" video above on this site.

1) Move Jason on the door so that his right half is against the door 2) Turn camera to face Jason (crucial step to pull this off) 3) Start hitting the attack button.

Jason is now swinging his weapon like in combat stance but the weapon seems to never get stuck on the door. Also it seems that Jason can start the next swing again slightly quicker compared to combat stance. Turning the camera fast enough is important achieve this speed boost. Tested on PC.

A few things about this. While it is a way to break down the door without getting sucked into canned anim, it is not viable as an anti-door combat technique, or at least not a universal or reliable one. There are variables and disadvantages which work against it, which are as follows:

1. The swing animation actually moves Jason more towards the door each time, which means that depending on the cabin (which can often have obstacles beside the door which affect spacing) you may move into the counselor's range of attack and get hit. You could be in range on final hit or well before, and you won't be able to adequately tell when due to the camera facing Jason.

Some cabins do actually have obstacles beside the door placed in a way which allows you to maintain position by staying in front of them or even on top of them, but this is not guaranteed. They can just as well work against you. Doing it in CS however will allow you to easily reposition for safety if need be.

2. Blocking on hit is not possible while keeping Jason faced towards the door, because if you enter combat stance, it will turn you around. Which means that your back will be to the door / counselor leaving you vulnerable to a hit. Especially dangerous after final door hit. On the other hand, in combat stance facing the door, you can cancel with block on hit (providing your weapon collides with door frame / wall) or retreat. Or follow up the block with a grab.

3. This one is obvious but is worth mentioning - you won't be able to tell what the counselor is doing if the camera is facing you rather than them. They could exit the cabin and run off, or run over and hit you from the side where you have no view.  

4. For +Destruction Jasons, who only require executing 3 hits to break the door, this is less an of issue (but still a potential one) since you might still be able to remain outside the counselor's attack range even on final hit (less hits = less movement). Maybe. It depends on the cabin. But essentially this means only 2 Jasons (Savini not relevant) are capable of possibly avoiding punishment using this method. Doing it in CS, however, means all Jasons are definitely capable of avoiding punishment (as much as it is possible to).

5. In regards to breaking a door when a counselor isn't present, I believe the speed increase is roughly less than a second with free swing vs CS vertical attack at full speed. That's not counting positioning and camera reversal time either. The CS horizontal attack would be the same speed, however precision is a factor which slightly slows you down, as you must be careful to correctly tap right trigger and not execute a vertical attack instead.

6. Lastly, the weapon can still get stuck using this method. In regards to weapons getting stuck, I believe it is due to the barricade. Unbarricaded doors tend to break down fine in whatever method, although I could do more testing on this.

Bit of a long post I know, but hopefully this helps. I may have to make a video with online footage showing all the different ways and their consequences, and why CS horizontal is safest (J6 / Savini overhead excluded since long weapon range in CS already makes them safe).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Treymaker my best advice for the boat tipping, it to choose the Pinehurst Map, a fast water Jason, and guard the car and phone box but leave the boat alone. Once you see the boat moving, it should be easy to catch it.

Unlike the Jarvis House, I see the boat at least starting more often then not in Pinehurst.

@Alkavian thanks a lot for creating this thread. I re-read it when I am bored at work and it is always interesting. I don't really have the skill or time to devote to something like this, but are there different strategies for different maps for different Jasons? I know that sounds a little crazy. But if I am on a map with a boat like Pinehurst, and the Jason is a slower water one, I am going for the boat as my main escape point.

You did a Risk/Reward topic covering the escape routes, I am just wondering if the Jason being chosen has an impact on what escape route is prioritized.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MRWood204 said:

You did a Risk/Reward topic covering the escape routes, I am just wondering if the Jason being chosen has an impact on what escape route is prioritized.

The Jason chosen could certainly up the risk. I didn't factor in the Jasons to the base risk individually because most of it is player dependent. Just because someone is playing Part 7, doesn't mean they pay enough attention to the map to see the boat moving and intercept it.  I've got a friend who mains Part 2 who sucks in water, but is so map vigilant, you've got a snow ball's chance in hell of getting out on a boat. He just watches his map like a damn hawk. I've thought of doing individual map strategy guides, and I may get around to it eventually.:)

I'd like to get some testing done first on counselor jog/sprint speeds, the car speed, and the actual boat speed. I need help to to that though. Organizing friends to waste precious gaming time to basically sit in a empty lobby and do stopwatch timings/pace counts and whatnot isn't all that easy.

4 hours ago, NoOneK9503 said:

@Alkavian What about the new grab range? It's wider now?

Unknown. I would need to get @bewareofbears or one of the other guys to take a few moments and see what changed on the grab range. It "feels" slightly wider; maybe a touch longer. I don't think the change is huge, just enough to fix some of the close range missing issues. I'll look at it when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, Alkavian said:

Unknown. I would need to get @bewareofbears or one of the other guys to take a few moments and see what changed on the grab range. It "feels" slightly wider; maybe a touch longer. I don't think the change is huge, just enough to fix some of the close range missing issues. I'll look at it when I get a chance.

In my experience the close range issues still remain. In the most basic way I can explain, there is more force pull but a counselor can still easily evade up close. I'm not convinced the devs know what they're doing in this area. I'm not asking to have it buffed for greater range, but it should at least be consistent (which it is not). Realistically, the closer you are the greater chance you should have of executing successful grab, but it works in reverse.

2 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

In my experience the close range issues still remain. In the most basic way I can explain, there is more force pull but a counselor can still easily evade up close.

Had a few close misses last night playing bots. Mostly when offset to Jason's shoulder and very close. I'll look into it when I get a chance.?

• Thanks 1

@Alkavian any chance you've calculated the car speed? A lot of people say they slowed it down and I definitely noticed the difference as well. I also noticed the "25 mph" speed limit signs in the game and wondered how close it was. Not asking you to go out of your way to do it, just wondering if you already have.

Just now, Truth said:

@Alkavian any chance you've calculated the car speed? A lot of people say they slowed it down and I definitely noticed the difference as well. I also noticed the "25 mph" speed limit signs in the game and wondered how close it was. Not asking you to go out of your way to do it, just wondering if you already have.

Haven't checked it. I plan to though.

On 9/9/2017 at 12:45 AM, pro5pt0 said:

Was you using rage to break the door down? If your answer is yes, Jason is defenseless for a short moment after breaking a door/wall down with rage. If I know a counselor is there ready to attack me I will not use rage to knock the door/wall down because I don't want them to have a free attack, possibly a stun and then get away.

If not keep an eye out for where counselors go once they run away from you and enter a house. A lot of times they will hide just inside the door for you to come in and hit you for an easy stun. If you know a counselor is trying to do this, juke them by making them think you are going to enter the house. Then stop right before the door to stay out of their melee range then grab them or slash, whatever you prefer. You can also enter combat stance and use block to be safe. Just remember, to grab them you must leave combat stance.

speaking of combat stance - when Jason was still heavily nerfed at least, I could NOT block or dodge anything. Counselors ganging up and performing a serious schoolyard beatdown, nothing about combat stance worked - you had to shift out of the way.
I seriously ask: as both counselor and Jason, does the dodge/block feature of combat stance work at all???