GunMedia_Ben

Dedicated Servers Update and Why Host Migration Won't Happen

12 minutes ago, JPops said:

An announcement on dedicated servers will be made when they are good to go most likely. I know what a pain it can be as I primarily play on consoles but it's not going to come any sooner than it is able to get all the things needed inline. 

Yeah, but a progress report goes a looooong way to improving your relationship with your player base.

Don't be like Bungie

Yeah, communication is key to a healthy relationship. It's a part of good customer service and encourages me to support them further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFG9000 said:

Yeah, communication is key to a healthy relationship. It's a part of good customer service and encourages me to support them further.

Absolutely, that is why this is not a healthy relationship and the divorce papers are about to be filed. This relationship needs intensive counseling, rehab, anger management, and a slew of other interventions to get back on track. I'm a realist. I love the game, but that won't keep people or me around forever.

For heaven's sake, send in @Gertz. He is about the only Dev that could cross no-man's land and not get mowed down in the process for a conversation.

11 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Absolutely, that is why this is not a healthy relationship and the divorce papers are about to be filed. This relationship needs intensive counseling, rehab, anger management, and a slew of other interventions to get back on track. I'm a realist. I love the game, but that won't keep people or me around forever.

For heaven's sake, send in @Gertz. He is about the only Dev that could cross no-man's land and not get mowed down in the process for a conversation.

#GertzForPresident

22 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

#GertzForPresident

Around here, damn straight! LOL.

I'd play some Warhammer or D&D with him. ^_^

37 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

I'd just like some sort of... something...i'd be happy with "Q1 of 2018". Just as long as it was something. This game is awesome and unique, and i'd hate to see them scuttle the project with silence like Bungie literally just did with Destiny 2 where 78% of launch players are gone and not coming back.

So if this @Gertz guy is going to be the one to prevent that he needs to get on the ball. I got an entire clan of guys deciding on whether this game is worth joining and so far it's too hard a sell as-is.

• Like 1

'We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. '

@GunMedia_Ben What part of this doesn't merit a follow up now we're in late November?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RustledJimmy said:

I'd just like some sort of... something...i'd be happy with "Q1 of 2018". Just as long as it was something. This game is awesome and unique, and i'd hate to see them scuttle the project with silence like Bungie literally just did with Destiny 2 where 78% of launch players are gone and not coming back.

So if this @Gertz guy is going to be the one to prevent that he needs to get on the ball. I got an entire clan of guys deciding on whether this game is worth joining and so far it's too hard a sell as-is.

I agree. Just a quick chat would be nice to hear what is going on and when (generally) they expect things to be sorted out. Gertz is the Executive Producer for F13 at Illfonic. He has popped on before and gave some awesome feedback and answered tons of questions by users. Nobody has been as forthcoming and frank as him in terms of conversations with the community. For that he carries quite a bit of respect. Courier was hired I believe to funnel information to Illfonic's team so Gertz could focus on his job there. I'd still love to hear from him because he was very interactive with the customers.

EDIT:  Last thing Gertz mentioned is that he is focusing on Single Player, but I do see he has been popping in to read up on the forum madness.

5 hours ago, Confused Counsellor said:

'We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. '

@GunMedia_Ben What part of this doesn't merit a follow up now we're in late November?

I knew i remembered this post! Just couldn't find it. We're working on December now. I'd say an update is far overdue.

@Alkavian sounds like @Gertz is a good dev. Damn rare in today's industry. Maybe we'll hear something after this weekend.

*crosses fingers*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RustledJimmy said:

I knew i remembered this post! Just couldn't find it. We're working on December now. I'd say an update is far overdue.

@Alkavian sounds like @Gertz is a good dev. Damn rare in today's industry. Maybe we'll hear something after this weekend.

*crosses fingers*

Glad you agree.

Noob question: how do you reference people in that blue rectangle? Thanks

4 minutes ago, Confused Counsellor said:

Glad you agree.

Noob question: how do you reference people in that blue rectangle? Thanks

Just type "@theirname" ;)

I don't see why they can't implement a temporary ban for rage-quitters of, say, 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Similar to Rocket League. They can sort out long term bans for repeat offenders as they develop their system but if rage quitters actually got punished for rage-quitting, it wouldn't be so bad. The moment that 12 year old realizes "if I quit now, I can't just hop back on right away" they might reconsider.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BFG9000 said:

I don't see why they can't implement a temporary ban for rage-quitters of, say, 5, 10 or 15 minutes. Similar to Rocket League. They can sort out long term bans for repeat offenders as they develop their system but if rage quitters actually got punished for rage-quitting, it wouldn't be so bad. The moment that 12 year old realizes "if I quit now, I can't just hop back on right away" they might reconsider.

This is a really good question.

28 minutes ago, BFG9000 said:

I'd rather not have posted anything but can't delete this so here you are....

While i agree with your original post, and the grab distance was over nerfed, thank you for not derailing a very important thread.

??

On 2017-11-25 at 10:54 PM, BFG9000 said:

Yes, a ban for say 15 minutes would be a minimum. That is the time they "saved" for them self by quitting.

Not having this while we wait on dedicated servers is just disrespectful to the community. 

• Like 2

Late September, into October. Yet here we are in December, with not a word spoken about it since. Sure, yeah, NDA's etc, etc. What about the lack of quality game play on consoles becaue of it? Are we gonna get them at all at this point? Sure as hell seems like no. 

5 hours ago, Tim Voorhees13 said:

Late September, into October. Yet here we are in December, with not a word spoken about it since. Sure, yeah, NDA's etc, etc. What about the lack of quality game play on consoles becaue of it? Are we gonna get them at all at this point? Sure as hell seems like no. 

It's depressing. I waited patiently for this to hit console and when it finally does it's broken. I shelved the game at this point so i don't even look at it. As a *HUGE* fan of Mr. Voorhees, this game has become a bigger disappointment than any title I've ever bought.

Shall we keep bumping this until we get a response? Its an absolute f'in joke now. Try to get in a good few hours gaming and more games than not ending in a host quit, or failing that a connection to host lost. When I host it's very laggy and I get blue screened after a few. And of course you can't choose to host so you could be spending 10 mins backing out of lobbies.

I have no idea how many total games (completed + aborted) level 101's must have played or else they played a lot of private. Everytime there's a host quit, I feel another segment of the community abandoning the game. Why wouldn't they when the game is sticking 2 fingers up at their efforts?

We understand the frustration, but I cannot offer anything more until a later date when all the ducks are in a row. This is a very long, involved process that requires a lot of work with our 1st party partners and I cannot go into more about that at this time due to NDA with our publishing partners. There's a ton involved with this process and there's a reason many games don't utilize dedicated servers and instead opt for the host migration feature. We believe in doing this right. 

Doing it right means more time invested in the quality overall for the game and experience. There was no possible way we could have done this prior to launch and now that we have the means to be able to invest back into the game, dedicated servers are on the docket. This isn't a 'flip the switch' kind of proposition, never has been. We've got a lot of hurdles to go over, not much manpower and there's not much that can be done to alter our course. When I have more information, I will let you guys know the moment I'm able, but for now we continue to ask for your patience. No one likes dropped games, but we're working as quickly and as hard as we can. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

We understand the frustration, but I cannot offer anything more until a later date when all the ducks are in a row. This is a very long, involved process that requires a lot of work with our 1st party partners and I cannot go into more about that at this time due to NDA with our publishing partners. There's a ton involved with this process and there's a reason many games don't utilize dedicated servers and instead opt for the host migration feature. We believe in doing this right. 

Doing it right means more time invested in the quality overall for the game and experience. There was no possible way we could have done this prior to launch and now that we have the means to be able to invest back into the game, dedicated servers are on the docket. This isn't a 'flip the switch' kind of proposition, never has been. We've got a lot of hurdles to go over, not much manpower and there's not much that can be done to alter our course. When I have more information, I will let you guys know the moment I'm able, but for now we continue to ask for your patience. No one likes dropped games, but we're working as quickly and as hard as we can. 

That means we won't getting dedicated servers this year?

19 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

I unfortunately do not have any news for you one way or the other. 

2 hours ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

soon
so͞on/
adverb

1. in or after a short time.
    "everyone will soon know the truth"
    synonyms: shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a bit, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), by and by; 
    informal pronto, in a jiffy; 
    dated directly, anon
    "we'll be there soon"

8 minutes ago, thatdudescott said:
soon
so͞on/
adverb

1. in or after a short time.
    "everyone will soon know the truth"
    synonyms: shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a bit, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), by and by; 
    informal pronto, in a jiffy; 
    dated directly, anon
    "we'll be there soon"

In these times the soon word can be used for even 1 year! IS ONE YEAR SOON?!

5 minutes ago, PlayerAgainstTheMachine said:

In these times the soon word can be used for even 1 year! IS ONE YEAR SOON?!

One year is "soon-ish™",duh.

Don't forget about "soonest™" as well.

Basically,if you started putting a little bit of money away each week since launch,you would have enough to build a gaming PC and not even have to worry about the console problems.

^_^