GunMedia_Ben

Dedicated Servers Update and Why Host Migration Won't Happen

7 minutes ago, Confused Counsellor said:

Exactly there's no legal recourse here, it's just shitty business practice. Right now I want a guaranteed deadline and also a guarantee of how long the servers will stay up for. Console players have every right to be angry when many (including myself ) bought it on the promise of dedicated servers by end of Oct.

Can you link where that was promised? Again, I'm not trying to be a dick. I just want the information.

2 minutes ago, Confused Counsellor said:

Not at all mate. See OP of this thread lol.

Checked again, all it says is:

On 8/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, GunMedia_Ben said:

We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. There has to be an audit that ensures things run properly on consoles and that is a process that takes time.

TL;DR - Host migration bad, Dedicated Servers Good. Give us a couple months

That's not a promise at all...

I'm right there with you. I have the same issues you do and I too am unhappy that we still don't have the dedicated servers. But I can't find anything where a dev said they would be released by a certain date.

The fact that they're hiding behind an "NDA" that they haven't shown to actually exist (there being no reason to cite an NDA without disclosing said contract) to me says they're using the money we console players have given them, and used it to make a better PC version. That way they can win awards they don't deserve for a game that only really works on 1 out of 3 platforms.

If there isn't laws against this sort of awful business practice, there damnwell should be.

I know they'll never get another penny out of me, ever again.

10 minutes ago, Confused Counsellor said:

Its not a promise in the 'I solemnly swear' category but the phrase 'could go into October before we release' heavily suggests, nay implies, that October is the latest.

Right, but something being implied is not enough to hold up a class action lawsuit like people are rallying for.

The audit probably didn't go well for them. They've had UPDATES held back because microsoft rejected them, this could be the same issue. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case. The NDA that @GunMedia_Ben mentioned is probably BECAUSE they failed the audit.

@RustledJimmy PC had dedicated servers from the start. You can't say they're using the money they've made to make the PC version better if they haven't changed anything. PC servers are a lot easier to set up and have less security requirements than consoles.

• Like 1

Just now, Truth said:

Right, but something being implied is not enough to hold up a class action lawsuit like people are rallying for.

The audit probably didn't go well for them. They've had UPDATES held back because microsoft rejected them, this could be the same issue. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case. The NDA that @GunMedia_Ben mentioned is probably BECAUSE they failed the audit.

@RustledJimmy PC had dedicated servers from the start. You can't say they're using the money they've made to make the PC version better if they haven't changed anything. PC servers are a lot easier to set up and have less security requirements than consoles.

You can make imorovements, that cost money, that don't involve servers. We probably paid for this latest update that added a bunch of fluff. Servers don't take 6 months to setup, for anything.

You sound less and less helpful and more shill with every post.

6 minutes ago, RustledJimmy said:

You can make imorovements, that cost money, that don't involve servers. We probably paid for this latest update that added a bunch of fluff. Servers don't take 6 months to setup, for anything.

You sound less and less helpful and more shill with every post.

You're lobbying for a class action lawsuit without ANY facts or proof. I'm just looking for that, and haven't seen any yet.

If we paid for the update (that we ALL got) then PC players got nothing extra, did they? So how did they make the PC version better than console if it's THE SAME?

Provide me with some facts/proof and I would gladly be right there with you lobbying for a lawsuit.

23 minutes ago, Truth said:

You're lobbying for a class action lawsuit without ANY facts or proof. I'm just looking for that, and haven't seen any yet.

If we paid for the update (that we ALL got) then PC players got nothing extra, did they? So how did they make the PC version better than console if it's THE SAME?

Provide me with some facts/proof and I would gladly be right there with you lobbying for a lawsuit.

Gun used the PC platform to advertise and market the console version. " you get the same thing on your console". Only we don't. We get less than half that product.  We get a mostly unplayble mess.

This would be like a company selling sealed fruit baskets. They show you an opened one full of ripe delicious fruit. So you buy one, get it home and half the fruit is rotten. You w would then take it back and get a replacement or refund. If they refused that it would be a scam (false advertising) and there would be legal recourse.

This is common sense bro. Gun scammed console then claimed it was some ficticious NDA with their publisher. Not microsoft.

I think I'll just consult the BBB and maybe a lawyer.

Anyone remember what happened when Gearbox advertised content that wasn't available in game? It's not the same issue precisely, but it merits enough similarity to at least open the dialogue for legal action. Bottom line is they marketed a game based on the success of its pc counterpart. Any reasonable person would assume that the game would perform the same. It doesn't.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RustledJimmy said:

Gun used the PC platform to advertise and market the console version. " you get the same thing on your console". Only we don't. We get less than half that product.  We get a mostly unplayble mess.

8 hours ago, Simianorlizard said:

Bottom line is they marketed a game based on the success of its pc counterpart.

They marketed it with a kickstarter campaign. It does specify all 3 platforms (not just pc) and I saw nothing about dedicated servers. I would never say you shouldn't get legal advice. If that's the route you want to take, go for it. I wish you the best of luck. I personally can't see your argument getting very far though without anything to back it up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game

Is this the thread we're supposed to discuss how much they need dedicated servers without a mod closing it? I mean, if you're gonna tell us there's massive discussion on this already, how about a link to it...

Also, how do you know if you are the host of a match?

Thanks!:)

wow.. this thread has turned into a lawsuit thread? its a fucking $40 game.. play it.. deal with it or return it to gamestop and get your $5 for it. and then grow the fuck up. I play on the console and deal with this shit constantly, does it suck? fuck yeah.. am I going to sue the devs? LOL NO, I'm not a fucking child.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Punisher_2099 said:

wow.. this thread has turned into a lawsuit thread? its a fucking $40 game.. play it.. deal with it or return it to gamestop and get your $5 for it. and then grow the fuck up. I play on the console and deal with this shit constantly, does it suck? fuck yeah.. am I going to sue the devs? LOL NO, I'm not a fucking child.

And people like you are why this sort of crap becomes more and more commonplace in gaming. 

On 12/31/2017 at 3:00 PM, Gacys Clown said:

Is this the thread we're supposed to discuss how much they need dedicated servers without a mod closing it? I mean, if you're gonna tell us there's massive discussion on this already, how about a link to it...

Also, how do you know if you are the host of a match?

Thanks!:)

You'll start the match alone

24 minutes ago, RustledJimmy said:

And people like you are why this sort of crap becomes more and more commonplace in gaming. 

He does kind have a point. Dealing with these servers suck, I hate it too. But they said they're working on it, so it's not like we're going to deal with this forever. How is a lawsuit going to make that situation all better? How do we know that it's not going to make their work more difficult than it already is?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liquid Swordsman said:

He does kind have a point. Dealing with these servers suck, I hate it too. But they said they're working on it, so it's not like we're going to deal with this forever. How is a lawsuit going to make that situation all better? How do we know that taking it's not going to make their work more difficult than it already is?

Because clearly the publisher and developer doesn't care yet. Threatening their wallet is the only language they understand.

Or did you not see how fast EA reacted to lawyers with the battlefront 2 situation?

Despite my criticism of their launching without migration or dedicated servers, I do not see a lawsuit as being realistic over it.  The design flaws hinder the enjoyment but certainly do not make it "unplayable."  Huge difference between unplayable and non-enjoyable.  Further, even to the extent anyone could say they purchased the game based on a promise of having dedicated servers, which would not be something most people could really say in good faith I bet, the fact is they claim to still be working on them.  They never promised a date certain that I have ever heard of.  

1 minute ago, TimmyJarvis said:

Despite my criticism of their launching without migration or dedicated servers, I do not see a lawsuit as being realistic over it.  The design flaws hinder the enjoyment but certainly do not make it "unplayable."  Huge difference between unplayable and non-enjoyable.  Further, even to the extent anyone could say they purchased the game based on a promise of having dedicated servers, which would not be something most people could really say in good faith I bet, the fact is they claim to still be working on them.  They never promised a date certain that I have ever heard of.  

Me neither, hopefully soon. If i ever kill host first accidentally they usually, but usually I wait to kill them within the last 2-3 counselors so they don't leave. :D 

I miss the good old days when the gaming media cared about this game. When they reported on the game, we instantly got transparency from the devs on issues. Where is kotaku when we need them. But the subject of dedicated servers is just getting old and makes the Devs of this game look worse and worse with every passing day. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:59 PM, RustledJimmy said:

And it's lawsuits from people like you which will prevent ambitious, smaller developers with passion from ever venturing out into making what is an incredible licensed game, and will become even more incredible. You do this, and anytime a start-up company wants to go after something big, they'll remember the "Friday the 13th incident," and be scared off. Congratulations.

Seriously. You have NO IDEA what these people are going through. Do you think they're HAPPY we don't have dedicated servers yet? Do you honestly think they LIED to us with no intention of EVER giving us dedicated servers?

Can you imagine how frustrating it has to be to have a clear path to something great, then hit roadblock after roadblock -- and when your fanbase asks about it, you can say NOTHING to them because you're working with a licensed franchise and must adhere to an NDA? 

--and now, because they're late on their original aspirational timeline, you want to sue them?? Are you TRYING to make them give up and never update the game again??

These guys are working tirelessly on this game. Day in and day out. I don't know what your job is, but I wonder if you can imagine what it's like to constantly work over 40 hours a week on the SAME project, constantly trying to make it better, and hearing SO much toxic feedback. Constantly hearing people DEMANDING more patches "right now," DEMANDING more upgrades "right now," DEMANDING more progress updates "right now." But they CAN'T because they don't have any new, SOLID info to give yet -- and the non-solid info they do have, the NDA keeps them from saying much of anything about it.

So -- let's sue them for it. Brilliant.

We paid 40 bucks for a game that most of us HAVE gotten 40 bucks worth of enjoyment out of. And much MORE enjoyment is coming -- seemingly perpetually. That's a pretty great ROI on 40 bucks, if you ask me.

But you go ahead and sue them. Because they're so awful. Try to scrutinize everything they said and pin them down to one or two words that will get you a payday and ensure this team never creates another game again.

Enjoy your check. The rest of us will hate you for murdering a startup company that was stupid enough to pursue a dream. But have fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Cokeyskunk

This is why I don't understand the community sometimes. I am always around to help, and provide information but the majority of the people backlash on it. 

The Devs have definitely, like you said been working hard to get us the game we wish for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Do you honestly think they LIED to us with no intention of ever giving us dedicated servers?

Honestly, it has crossed my mind. When I think of total development time and the fact that they launched PC with dedicated servers it makes me wonder what is possibly taking so long to get console servers up and running. Especially since it's been said that the project was outsourced so it's setup is not being worked on by an already overwhelmed team. So yeah, I have some reservations as to if dedicated servers will actually ever come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2