GunMedia_Ben

Dedicated Servers Update and Why Host Migration Won't Happen

101 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Definitelynotjason said:

Outta the likes, so here`s a 

Thanks.

vanishing-cookie-with-only-crumbs-remain

1 person likes this

Everyone is crying for host migration because all they've ever played is CoD. 

@GunMedia_Ben late to this thread, but thanks for the update and thorough communication on what to expect from it. Kudos to the team for listening to the concerns and updating us.

Hey everybody,  quick question about dedicated servers, apologies if it has already been answered, but will this mean lower pings for international players i.e i am in Australia but regularly play with players in the US or UK (much to their dismay with 400+ ping. Will this improve with dedicated servers?

10 hours ago, Orrwhat1986 said:

Hey everybody,  quick question about dedicated servers, apologies if it has already been answered, but will this mean lower pings for international players i.e i am in Australia but regularly play with players in the US or UK (much to their dismay with 400+ ping. Will this improve with dedicated servers?

This is a really good question. I wonder if they will be renting or purchasing server space across seas to help out international players. P2P may have had lower pings if they do not I would think, due to the hosts being near you. Then again on P2P i play with a couple Aussies and some people in the UK and rarely had major ping issues. However I am sure Gun and Illfonic will have the proper solution for you overseas players. 

so when are those bans coming for quitters? I played for the first time in a while today and both games the host quit. I haven't been playing much because of the quitting, cheating, bad sports, etc. and it's still the same. it's so disappointing because the game is fun when all of the above isn't happening. Quitting is acceptable in most fps's because the slot almost immediately gets filled but this game doesn't work like that. Just overall annoyed whenever i play this game lately and that isn't good for keeping players. People shouldn't sit down at the end of a day and be like, "yes, i'm ready for some more frustration, let me play F13."

1 person likes this

in response to hosts dropping out it would be much simpler to remove the quit game option from hosts menu until a definitive fix can be made. If they didnt have the quit option then theyd need to quit the whole game...this may not work all the time but it would most likely reduce dropouts by a massive percentage.

Also why not impliment a simple vote to kick button as it always seems to be the innocent ppl who have to quit and spend another 10 mins waiting for a game while the idiots get to play all day!

On 9/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, SHLIMPOLE said:

in response to hosts dropping out it would be much simpler to remove the quit game option from hosts menu until a definitive fix can be made. If they didnt have the quit option then theyd need to quit the whole game...this may not work all the time but it would most likely reduce dropouts by a massive percentage.

Also why not impliment a simple vote to kick button as it always seems to be the innocent ppl who have to quit and spend another 10 mins waiting for a game while the idiots get to play all day!

I cannot agree enough with the "Vote to Kick" option. That was a saving grace in Red Dead Redemption. Anytime people start ruining games by trolling others (and even with the removal of Team Killing, they'll find a way!), the ability for the majority rule to kick any player (except Jason) would be extremely helpful. 

2 people like this

Nice. This will vastly improve the game. What an awesome forum keeping the userbase up to date. Some of the previous forms I've been on have been brutal so kudos to you guys! 

Great game and keep up the good work!

On 10/09/2017 at 10:09 AM, BigRed said:

What an awesome forum keeping the userbase up to date.

I agree. I'm amazed with the amount of info we get from the devs. That shows respect and value to the gamers (i.e. Customer).

I cant wait for the dedicated servers. That's gonna fix almost all the cons of the game, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, slvrs said:

I cant wait for the dedicated servers. That's gonna fix almost all the cons of the game, in my opinion.

Forgive my lateness to the game (pardon the pun), but have they given any approximate timeline on the launching of the dedicated servers? 

3 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Forgive my lateness to the game (pardon the pun), but have they given any approximate timeline on the launching of the dedicated servers? 

On 8/22/2017 at 4:36 PM, GunMedia_Ben said:

We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. There has to be an audit that ensures things run properly on consoles and that is a process that takes time.

They gave us an approximate timeframe. It is possible we're close, but not guaranteed.

1 person likes this

On 8/22/2017 at 4:36 PM, GunMedia_Ben said:

Hi everyone!

Wanted to take the time to talk about dedicated servers vs host migration for consoles and we’re here to elaborate on what we’re doing for Friday the 13th: The Game. To start; we are currently working on dedicated servers for consoles. That is going to happen, however the time it is taking is rather substantial. We’re going to go a bit more in-depth on why things are taking time for dedicated servers and why we chose dedicated over the oft-requested host migration feature.

First off; Host Migration vs. Dedicated Servers.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest request we currently receive from our fan-base is for the inclusion of a host migration system.

Host Migration would take a very long time to implement, something in the neighborhood of six months or so with our team to be able to work without interruption. It, unfortunately, is not a quick fix as some might believe.

Even with host migration, as soon as the host drops we tend to see people leaving rooms and finding new games, thus perpetuating the wait and potential for loss of game data between clients. We’re talking about a good 30-60 second delay for a host switch and in that time is fairly common for users to quit. The potential for multiple interruptions for host migration is a very real possibility, especially knowing that users tend to leave the moment they are killed. We also have an issue if the host is Jason and they disconnect or quit; no one would be picked as a new Jason. With dedicated servers we can swap Jason, with host migration we can’t.

While this system is potentially good, it stands as a band-aid rather than a full fix. We’re opting for the full fix.

Dedicated Servers and What to Expect

We have more coming soon, but going with dedicated is a smarter route for the game. Console versions of the game will perform smoother overall and you now have removed the host advantage. Whenever someone disconnects, you take away the need for the game to pause and there’s less of a chance of data loss in-between any migration of hosting duties. Overall; the console version will perform in the same manner that you see with PC in regards to joining and leaving games.

We are getting close with our dedicated server system going live, however there are a lot of considerations we have to take into account. We have been working with a partner on implementing our dedicated servers and they’ve been doing a tremendous job in the time they’ve had. This is something we’ve been working on for quite some time now, but want to remind fans that it remains a long process as well to fully implement, just like host migration would.

The work has been on track, but we have a lot of security protocols in place from the consoles that must be implemented. We have a lot we have to do on our end to ensure things are working properly so that when we go into audit with Microsoft and Sony, we minimize the time needed to go live. They have a minimum test and evaluation period and we want to get through that as quickly and properly as possible.

We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. There has to be an audit that ensures things run properly on consoles and that is a process that takes time.

TL;DR - Host migration bad, Dedicated Servers Good. Give us a couple months

Soooooo?

They've decided to just pack it all in and scrap several months of work :P

Nah, man, they're still working on it. They get asked and answer this one many times each day on social media, and that's still the current response.

On 8/22/2017 at 3:36 PM, GunMedia_Ben said:

Hi everyone!

Wanted to take the time to talk about dedicated servers vs host migration for consoles and we’re here to elaborate on what we’re doing for Friday the 13th: The Game. To start; we are currently working on dedicated servers for consoles. That is going to happen, however the time it is taking is rather substantial. We’re going to go a bit more in-depth on why things are taking time for dedicated servers and why we chose dedicated over the oft-requested host migration feature.

First off; Host Migration vs. Dedicated Servers.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest request we currently receive from our fan-base is for the inclusion of a host migration system.

Host Migration would take a very long time to implement, something in the neighborhood of six months or so with our team to be able to work without interruption. It, unfortunately, is not a quick fix as some might believe.

Even with host migration, as soon as the host drops we tend to see people leaving rooms and finding new games, thus perpetuating the wait and potential for loss of game data between clients. We’re talking about a good 30-60 second delay for a host switch and in that time is fairly common for users to quit. The potential for multiple interruptions for host migration is a very real possibility, especially knowing that users tend to leave the moment they are killed. We also have an issue if the host is Jason and they disconnect or quit; no one would be picked as a new Jason. With dedicated servers we can swap Jason, with host migration we can’t.

While this system is potentially good, it stands as a band-aid rather than a full fix. We’re opting for the full fix.

Dedicated Servers and What to Expect

We have more coming soon, but going with dedicated is a smarter route for the game. Console versions of the game will perform smoother overall and you now have removed the host advantage. Whenever someone disconnects, you take away the need for the game to pause and there’s less of a chance of data loss in-between any migration of hosting duties. Overall; the console version will perform in the same manner that you see with PC in regards to joining and leaving games.

We are getting close with our dedicated server system going live, however there are a lot of considerations we have to take into account. We have been working with a partner on implementing our dedicated servers and they’ve been doing a tremendous job in the time they’ve had. This is something we’ve been working on for quite some time now, but want to remind fans that it remains a long process as well to fully implement, just like host migration would.

The work has been on track, but we have a lot of security protocols in place from the consoles that must be implemented. We have a lot we have to do on our end to ensure things are working properly so that when we go into audit with Microsoft and Sony, we minimize the time needed to go live. They have a minimum test and evaluation period and we want to get through that as quickly and properly as possible.

TL;DR - Host migration bad, Dedicated Servers Good. Give us a couple months

It's been two months! RELEASE ASAP!!!!!!

On 9/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, NthnButAGoodTime said:

They gave us an approximate timeframe. It is possible we're close, but not guaranteed.

Two months is enough time imo, I think the milking money DLC time has been enabled 

57 minutes ago, KillAProduction said:

Two months is enough time imo, I think the milking money DLC time has been enabled 

This is going to come across as snarky, but I don't mean for it to:

Is your opinion based on your own experience establishing dedicated servers from scratch or your general desire to have the matter resolved?

Again, my question is sincere.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

They've decided to just pack it all in and scrap several months of work :P

Nah, man, they're still working on it. They get asked and answer this one many times each day on social media, and that's still the current response.

I've not seen nor received any such response. Just resorted to only playing when i have host. 

2 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

This is going to come across as snarky, but I don't mean for it to:

Is your opinion based on your own experience establishing dedicated servers from scratch or your general desire to have the matter resolved?

Again, my question is sincere.

HAHAHA so accurate. Of Course we are all over here itching for any update to continually make the game better and smoother but i am going to say the mass majority have no experience with establishing Dedicated servers from scratch and having to go through Microsoft and Sony tests for those servers.. Soo000oo just relax and let them work on it,

21 minutes ago, PsychBam said:

HAHAHA so accurate. Of Course we are all over here itching for any update to continually make the game better and smoother but i am going to say the mass majority have no experience with establishing Dedicated servers from scratch and having to go through Microsoft and Sony tests for those servers.. Soo000oo just relax and let them work on it,

Having some familiarity with it, it shouldn't honestly take 2 months. Unless of course they're simply renting servers instead of getting their own. 

@RustledJimmy Some familiarity as in you have some experience in dedicated servers for different platforms dealing with specific companies and having to support millions of players? 

5 minutes ago, PsychBam said:

@RustledJimmy Some familiarity as in you have some experience in dedicated servers for different platforms dealing with specific companies and having to support millions of players? 

Entire company infrastructure

That enough?

5 minutes ago, RustledJimmy said:

Entire company infrastructure

That enough?

Not really that close in comparison. Not that I have more experience but idk how many millions of people work at your company but before the physical release of the game there was already 1.5+ million players.
I'm not at all putting down your work or what you do, I deal with building dedicated servers in my work as well.. but just for for companies to monitor all their production in different factories and to not lose data in certain scenarios.. but nothing to the scale to which they are doing and I don't know the tests they have to pass to from Microsoft and Sony.
I just feel like you can't judge or suggest a time frame unless you've done the exact same thing because if you haven't then you don't know the process, obstacles, or other barriers they have to deal with.

5 minutes ago, PsychBam said:

Not really that close in comparison. Not that I have more experience but idk how many millions of people work at your company but before the physical release of the game there was already 1.5+ million players.
I'm not at all putting down your work or what you do, I deal with building dedicated servers in my work as well.. but just for for companies to monitor all their production in different factories and to not lose data in certain scenarios.. but nothing to the scale to which they are doing and I don't know the tests they have to pass to from Microsoft and Sony.
I just feel like you can't judge or suggest a time frame unless you've done the exact same thing because if you haven't then you don't know the process, obstacles, or other barriers they have to deal with.

It's a governmental entity. We have security that fundamentally doubles the work. We still only take 6 hours tops to activate a new server.

Though to be fair, our staff is probably better at it.lol

That's why i think they're going through a 3rd party. That would explain the longevity

16 hours ago, RustledJimmy said:

I've not seen nor received any such response. Just resorted to only playing when i have host. 

Twitter, Facebook, that kind of thing. Have a look at the F13 Game Support Twitter, they respond every day and it's the same basic story so far.

"Dedicated servers are coming at a later date & will alleviate those issues. Please stay tuned for details."