GunMedia_Ben

Dedicated Servers Update and Why Host Migration Won't Happen

101 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Wanted to take the time to talk about dedicated servers vs host migration for consoles and we’re here to elaborate on what we’re doing for Friday the 13th: The Game. To start; we are currently working on dedicated servers for consoles. That is going to happen, however the time it is taking is rather substantial. We’re going to go a bit more in-depth on why things are taking time for dedicated servers and why we chose dedicated over the oft-requested host migration feature.

First off; Host Migration vs. Dedicated Servers.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest request we currently receive from our fan-base is for the inclusion of a host migration system.

Host Migration would take a very long time to implement, something in the neighborhood of six months or so with our team to be able to work without interruption. It, unfortunately, is not a quick fix as some might believe.

Even with host migration, as soon as the host drops we tend to see people leaving rooms and finding new games, thus perpetuating the wait and potential for loss of game data between clients. We’re talking about a good 30-60 second delay for a host switch and in that time is fairly common for users to quit. The potential for multiple interruptions for host migration is a very real possibility, especially knowing that users tend to leave the moment they are killed. We also have an issue if the host is Jason and they disconnect or quit; no one would be picked as a new Jason. With dedicated servers we can swap Jason, with host migration we can’t.

While this system is potentially good, it stands as a band-aid rather than a full fix. We’re opting for the full fix.

Dedicated Servers and What to Expect

We have more coming soon, but going with dedicated is a smarter route for the game. Console versions of the game will perform smoother overall and you now have removed the host advantage. Whenever someone disconnects, you take away the need for the game to pause and there’s less of a chance of data loss in-between any migration of hosting duties. Overall; the console version will perform in the same manner that you see with PC in regards to joining and leaving games.

We are getting close with our dedicated server system going live, however there are a lot of considerations we have to take into account. We have been working with a partner on implementing our dedicated servers and they’ve been doing a tremendous job in the time they’ve had. This is something we’ve been working on for quite some time now, but want to remind fans that it remains a long process as well to fully implement, just like host migration would.

The work has been on track, but we have a lot of security protocols in place from the consoles that must be implemented. We have a lot we have to do on our end to ensure things are working properly so that when we go into audit with Microsoft and Sony, we minimize the time needed to go live. They have a minimum test and evaluation period and we want to get through that as quickly and properly as possible.

We don’t have a set date at this time. We are aiming for late-September, but it is not out of the question that it might take more time and could go into October before we release. There has to be an audit that ensures things run properly on consoles and that is a process that takes time.

TL;DR - Host migration bad, Dedicated Servers Good. Give us a couple months

33 people like this

Thanks for the update. This is all very good news.

1 person likes this

Good things come for those who wait :)

Nice one :) The only other thing I hope happens before I return to XBL instead of Steam is the removal of all the Savini Jasons people got for free.

5 people like this

This is awesome, Ben. Thanks for updating us.

Dedicated servers are the best thing. Even though I play on Steam so I shouldn't have a say, it's nice to see the console versions will get better. On the other hand, you could keep host migration in mind for the far future. I love the game and my biggest fear is the servers closing some time. It happened to me before on a ps3 game. Wouldn't want to see it again. Even if it happens in 5 years, I want to be able to hunt and be hunted. 

Thanks for the news though 

My small and dumb teenage brain doesn't know what a dedicated server is though :( 

11 hours ago, Kodiak said:

Nice one :) The only other thing I hope happens before I return to XBL instead of Steam is the removal of all the Savini Jasons people got for free.

Is it fair they got it for free? No. It wasn't there fault it came out for free though. This is coming from a PS player btw.

2 people like this

Fairplay to them. 

I don't know too much about the complexities of "host migration" or "dedicated servers". I would be a fool to say I do so. I feel I do have some kind of understanding of it now after reading that though...appreciate it. Makes a lot more sense now.

Great to see social media linking to the website hub as well. :) 

17 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

We also have an issue if the host is Jason and they disconnect or quit; no one would be picked as a new Jason. With dedicated servers we can swap Jason, with host migration we can’t.

First, thank you for the update.

Second, I have a question about the part I quoted there.

As of right now on PC, when the Jason disconnects, doesn't the game end? What is different about consoles that a new Jason can be picked? Can this be a feature ported over to PC, or has it and I am misunderstanding what happens when the game abruptly ends and I survived the night 2 minutes in and someone says Jason rage quit?

Ok, that was sort of many questions, but they were all sub-questions.

Thanks for the info... Were you saying this upcoming patch will be released Late September? Like the swimsuit dlc ; ), etc.

1 minute ago, Tecomate Buck said:

Thanks for the info... Were you saying this upcoming patch will be released Late September? Like the swimsuit dlc ; ), etc.

It appears that was only in reference of dedicated servers for consoles.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the information! Too bad people are already complaining about this post. Goes to show people don't take time to read.

Completely understandable and thorough! 

My question is: with dedicated servers if a host leaves the game, it still ends the game, right?

Just now, ryanmc564 said:

My question is: with dedicated servers if a host leaves the game, it still ends the game, right?

Dedicated servers removes the host. It makes the game hinge on a separate server, not a person playing. There won't be any more hosts in that manner.

1 minute ago, ryanmc564 said:

There is no host with dedicated servers. The game would not end. The only potential issue we would run into would be the Jason player leaving. Plan is to simply switch someone over to Jason at random. We wouldn't be able to do that with a host migration option, either. 

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, ryanmc564 said:

Just looked up what a dedicated server is and the game is the host not a player so the answer to your question is No.

1 minute ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

There is no host with dedicated servers. The game would not end. The only potential issue we would run into would be the Jason player leaving. Plan is to simply switch someone over to Jason at random. We wouldn't be able to do that with a host migration option, either. 

Oh... Thats fantastic.  Thanks for clarifying.  Online mobo jobo stuff goes over my head. 

Just now, Not Shelly said:

Thanks for the information! Too bad people are already complaining about this post. Goes to show people don't take time to read.

Completely understandable and thorough! 

That's social media buddy! :lol: A firefighter could save five children from a burning house and the responses would be "Why didn't he go back in there and make sure there wasn't a 6th to rescue?"...."Why's he posing for a local newspaper photo when he should be working saving other lives on his day off?"

Social media is the bowels of the internet. :) The more you get used to it...the easier it is to decipher and accept - no matter how nuts and crazy it seems at times.

5 people like this

3 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Social media is the bowels of the internet. :) 

? ain't that the truth! 

This may sound like a dumb question but, if there is no host, who chooses the map in a public match?

Just now, Gdain said:

This may sound like a dumb question but, if there is no host, who chooses the map in a public match?

On PC there is a player who acts as the host. They have the hostly duties, but if they leave it just reassigns the duties to the next person on the list.

1 person likes this

This is WAY better than host migration. I'm confused as to why people are bitching about it on Facebook. 

Host migration has certainly been heavily requested, but this sounds like the better deal in terms of stability and time frame.

Kinda dealing with the disease rather than the symptoms. Appreciate the explanations.