I ❤️ A.J.

What kind of beer do you drink?

6 hours ago, I A.J. said:

Give me some ideas.  I keep on going back to the same old thing over and over again.  Mostly Blue Moon and Goose Island.

If you enjoy Blue Moon, you are searching for a wheat and citrusy beer.  Shock Top or Magic Hat are ones you could try, though i feel Blue Moon is better personally. Maybe try a Summer Shandy Lienenkugel's(?) Dont remember how to spell their name off the top of my head. To me, it was like Skittles in beer. If you enjoy that, slowly expand into Goses, Lambic, Framboise, or Sours. Sours and Goses are becoming one of the biggest trends in craft beer industry right now. I am not particularly fond of them myself, but know people that specifically pick these type when going out sometimes.

For an apple taste, try Uinta' s Crisp Apple Ale. Its not quite a cider, but a smooth pale ale with an apple flavor.

When i was 22, I first started enjoying craft beers because of Blue moon and Sam Adams Winter Sampler. Sam Adams Winter Sampler was tradition for me for about 8 years until i realized every Sam Adams beer tastes the same down deep. It must be the malt and hops they use, but every one has the same flavor in it somewhere.

What i am saying here is this: I dont know your palate or experience in beers. I am 36 years old and it seems each year my tastes bud change. Beer is a journey as is anything else in life.  The more you try, the more you learn. You will have some you hate, but may enjoy years later, and some you love and will only get once in your life.

Biggest advice after trying Blue moon: I am going to suggest looking for samplers that contain a witbier. Typically they are a white wheat ale. Usually come off as a taste closer to Blue Moon, but sometimes they get a bit maltier. If you enjoy the citrus factor in Blue moon and really enjoy the orange flavor, you can try squeezing an orange into a witbier, or wiping the rim of the glass in orange slice or orange peel. Here is an article link that I think describes this situation well:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/11962059/1/10-wheat-beers-you-should-try-after-blue-moon.html

There are a few ways to expand here. One, you enjoy a citrusy ale: try checking out spring time and summer IPAs and ales. They typically are lighter and involve fruit. Some are fairly floral. An IPA is typically a very hoppy beer. Different types of hops can make it seem "piney"(depending on the hops used. Cascade, El Dorado, etc are good for this effect). Problem with a lot of beers is this, local breweries are what you get for the most part. I am in PA so a lot of what I drink are from here, Ohio, etc. Troegs Crimson Pistol and First Cut(which is a mango IPA) IPA are great, light iPAs. Bell's(Michigan) Two hearted Ale and Oberon are great ones to try in that smooth, easy IPA category. Good introductory ones. A stronger IPA with a bit of orange flavor is Stone Ripper. Dont know if you get Fathead's out there, but there Bumbleberry IpA is delicious and light.

What state are you in so in case I have had some local breweries in my travels, I can give a recommendation?

Otherwise you can try some Hefeweizens,which are typically German golden wheat ales. A little better than a basic pilsner. If you can do the hefeweizen and want to try something dark after, try a Dunkel style beer. 

Which Goose Island are you drinking? I believe they had a main ale, but also had a Pilsner, and iPA and then  they also make craft beers. 

Sorry for such a long paragraph, but horror and beer are two of my biggest passions on life. I want to lead you in the right direction to something YOU will enjoy. Here is my best advice at trying new beers like this:

1) typically, the more you are willing to spend on a six pack or whatever amount, the cleaner and better it will be. Like weed, you can buy downtown brown cheap and have a lot of blunt weed, or you can splurge on some fire that takes a couple hits but doesnt give you a headache and tastes great. The cheaper your alcohol, the more you are likely to hate tomorrow and have an upset stomach or headache.

2) buy a sampler case from each season. Honestly, buy cases from 2 different companies each season if you can afford it. You can compare styles and flavors of each. See what works for you. I have a feeling spring and summer packs will appeal to you most.

3) good local pubhouses and brewers will provide a taster or sample if you ask politely. Inform them you dont want to commit and ask for a taste of "x" beer. That way you can see if you like it or not. If not, grab a go to beer.

4) dont just shy away and judge too early. Finish your beer. Maybe a couple if its in a pack. By the end, you may enjoy a beer more than you think. You may have had a food or previous flavor in your mouth that didnt work with balancing the beer, rather contrasting it. After a few drinks it may sit on your tongue well. 

5) download Untappd on your phone. Its a way to keep track of beers you have tried and liked. You can rate them to how you feel. Also, you can see what other people who drink those beers enjoy. Get some ideas.

6) see if somewhere near you sells six packs where you can choose the 6 in it

1 hour ago, deathbat96777 said:

I just now realized this is the beer that the dad drinks on the Big Bang Theory spinoff Young Sheldon. I was wondering why it looked familiar. It also reminded me of spaceballs XD 

This is also the beer Joe Bob briggs drinks during Monstervision, whatever school theme movie showing he had, and Last Drive In.

@I A.J. i just started rereading this thread from the beginning. You have some grest choices there! I remember starting with Rogue Dead Guy and Arrogant bastard at the beginning of my explorations. Alesmith makes an Evil Dead Red that was one of my favorite red ales. 

Dogfish Head is very good at infusing fruit into ales if you can get behind that trend. 

I have yet to have a bad beer from Wyndridge, Clown Shoes or Four Seasons. Rhinegeist is another current favorite brewery. 

I dont know if you do IPAs, but there are a ton of great ones out there. I can give you a list of my favorite ones this year if you do dig them.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland(Michigan brewing company) comes out with a new one every few months. Expensive, but always good, strong dessert beers. My favorite was a salted caramel one. Just had a bourbon barrel aged dark cherry chocolate one. Super alcohol taste, but decent. New Holland rarely makes a bad beer to me. Even their Tripel style. 

Ommengang's 3 Philosophers was one of my favorites for a while. A strong ale with german style malts and hops, but with a cherry flavor. Their Game of Thrones series of beers are almost always amazing.

Definitely try some Southern Tier beers. They have some good easy IPAs and ales like nu Skool IPA, Live, and one other that was in a blue can with orange writing. Matt and Phin's Ale from them is a good Pale Ale. Their Porter is smooth without being too heavy. 

20180812_150326.jpg

That picture is from a beer tasting we had a couple weeks ago at our house. Each is a different beer. Poured tasters so everyone could try something new.

One person brought a Neopolitan Porter that literally went through chocolate, vanilla then finished strawberry. I couldn't drink a bunch of them, but it was delicious.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:53 PM, TheHansonGoons said:

@I A.J. i just started rereading this thread from the beginning. You have some grest choices there! I remember starting with Rogue Dead Guy and Arrogant bastard at the beginning of my explorations. Alesmith makes an Evil Dead Red that was one of my favorite red ales. 

Dogfish Head is very good at infusing fruit into ales if you can get behind that trend. 

I have yet to have a bad beer from Wyndridge, Clown Shoes or Four Seasons. Rhinegeist is another current favorite brewery. 

I dont know if you do IPAs, but there are a ton of great ones out there. I can give you a list of my favorite ones this year if you do dig them.

Dragon's Milk from New Holland(Michigan brewing company) comes out with a new one every few months. Expensive, but always good, strong dessert beers. My favorite was a salted caramel one. Just had a bourbon barrel aged dark cherry chocolate one. Super alcohol taste, but decent. New Holland rarely makes a bad beer to me. Even their Tripel style. 

Ommengang's 3 Philosophers was one of my favorites for a while. A strong ale with german style malts and hops, but with a cherry flavor. Their Game of Thrones series of beers are almost always amazing.

Definitely try some Southern Tier beers. They have some good easy IPAs and ales like nu Skool IPA, Live, and one other that was in a blue can with orange writing. Matt and Phin's Ale from them is a good Pale Ale. Their Porter is smooth without being too heavy. 

20180812_150326.jpg

That picture is from a beer tasting we had a couple weeks ago at our house. Each is a different beer. Poured tasters so everyone could try something new.

One person brought a Neopolitan Porter that literally went through chocolate, vanilla then finished strawberry. I couldn't drink a bunch of them, but it was delicious.

On 8/30/2018 at 12:31 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

If you enjoy Blue Moon, you are searching for a wheat and citrusy beer.  Shock Top or Magic Hat are ones you could try, though i feel Blue Moon is better personally. Maybe try a Summer Shandy Lienenkugel's(?) Dont remember how to spell their name off the top of my head. To me, it was like Skittles in beer. If you enjoy that, slowly expand into Goses, Lambic, Framboise, or Sours. Sours and Goses are becoming one of the biggest trends in craft beer industry right now. I am not particularly fond of them myself, but know people that specifically pick these type when going out sometimes.

For an apple taste, try Uinta' s Crisp Apple Ale. Its not quite a cider, but a smooth pale ale with an apple flavor.

When i was 22, I first started enjoying craft beers because of Blue moon and Sam Adams Winter Sampler. Sam Adams Winter Sampler was tradition for me for about 8 years until i realized every Sam Adams beer tastes the same down deep. It must be the malt and hops they use, but every one has the same flavor in it somewhere.

What i am saying here is this: I dont know your palate or experience in beers. I am 36 years old and it seems each year my tastes bud change. Beer is a journey as is anything else in life.  The more you try, the more you learn. You will have some you hate, but may enjoy years later, and some you love and will only get once in your life.

Biggest advice after trying Blue moon: I am going to suggest looking for samplers that contain a witbier. Typically they are a white wheat ale. Usually come off as a taste closer to Blue Moon, but sometimes they get a bit maltier. If you enjoy the citrus factor in Blue moon and really enjoy the orange flavor, you can try squeezing an orange into a witbier, or wiping the rim of the glass in orange slice or orange peel. Here is an article link that I think describes this situation well:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/11962059/1/10-wheat-beers-you-should-try-after-blue-moon.html

There are a few ways to expand here. One, you enjoy a citrusy ale: try checking out spring time and summer IPAs and ales. They typically are lighter and involve fruit. Some are fairly floral. An IPA is typically a very hoppy beer. Different types of hops can make it seem "piney"(depending on the hops used. Cascade, El Dorado, etc are good for this effect). Problem with a lot of beers is this, local breweries are what you get for the most part. I am in PA so a lot of what I drink are from here, Ohio, etc. Troegs Crimson Pistol and First Cut(which is a mango IPA) IPA are great, light iPAs. Bell's(Michigan) Two hearted Ale and Oberon are great ones to try in that smooth, easy IPA category. Good introductory ones. A stronger IPA with a bit of orange flavor is Stone Ripper. Dont know if you get Fathead's out there, but there Bumbleberry IpA is delicious and light.

What state are you in so in case I have had some local breweries in my travels, I can give a recommendation?

Otherwise you can try some Hefeweizens,which are typically German golden wheat ales. A little better than a basic pilsner. If you can do the hefeweizen and want to try something dark after, try a Dunkel style beer. 

Which Goose Island are you drinking? I believe they had a main ale, but also had a Pilsner, and iPA and then  they also make craft beers. 

Sorry for such a long paragraph, but horror and beer are two of my biggest passions on life. I want to lead you in the right direction to something YOU will enjoy. Here is my best advice at trying new beers like this:

1) typically, the more you are willing to spend on a six pack or whatever amount, the cleaner and better it will be. Like weed, you can buy downtown brown cheap and have a lot of blunt weed, or you can splurge on some fire that takes a couple hits but doesnt give you a headache and tastes great. The cheaper your alcohol, the more you are likely to hate tomorrow and have an upset stomach or headache.

2) buy a sampler case from each season. Honestly, buy cases from 2 different companies each season if you can afford it. You can compare styles and flavors of each. See what works for you. I have a feeling spring and summer packs will appeal to you most.

3) good local pubhouses and brewers will provide a taster or sample if you ask politely. Inform them you dont want to commit and ask for a taste of "x" beer. That way you can see if you like it or not. If not, grab a go to beer.

4) dont just shy away and judge too early. Finish your beer. Maybe a couple if its in a pack. By the end, you may enjoy a beer more than you think. You may have had a food or previous flavor in your mouth that didnt work with balancing the beer, rather contrasting it. After a few drinks it may sit on your tongue well. 

5) download Untappd on your phone. Its a way to keep track of beers you have tried and liked. You can rate them to how you feel. Also, you can see what other people who drink those beers enjoy. Get some ideas.

6) see if somewhere near you sells six packs where you can choose the 6 in it

This is also the beer Joe Bob briggs drinks during Monstervision, whatever school theme movie showing he had, and Last Drive In.

Thanks man.  Yeah I think I can stomach just about every style except stouts.  There isn't too many stouts I can really enjoy.  I'm not a big fan of red ales either.

I think my favorite style is pumpkin.  I love that stuff.  I had one that Sam Adams made one year.  I don't know if it's been discontinued because I haven't had it since and this was about 4 or 5 years ago.  It was called Fat Jack.  It was awesome.  I remember it being very think and heavy almost like a dessert beer and it tasted like pumpkin pie.

I live in the Chicago area and every time I go to Wisconsin, I pick up some New Glarus.  You can only get New Glarus in Wisconsin.

• Like 1

I've only ever had pale ales and lagers. Going back to the comment I made about Lone Star, it also makes an appearance in American Sniper

With October around the corner, it's pretty much anything pumpkin for me. I really liked Southern Tier Brewing Company's Pumking ale, and Ace's Pumpkin Craft Cider.

As a connoisseur of beer, ales, lagers, etc ... there's some fine suggestions on here I'll be looking out for.

I'm in the UK and in the last few years there's been an explosion in micro-pubs ... basically very small establishments that cater just for ales and ciders, usually four of each available, changing every week or so. Great places to pop in to for fine conversation and different beers each time. 

I've been to the States three times in the last ten years but I haven't found anything equivalent ... plenty of fine bars, but nothing similar. Is there anything like this in the States?