Retro Jason Skin DLC news

Discuss.

We celebrated our one month anniversary with a free DLC Skin of Retro Jason. We have some future plans for this Jason, as we will be adding new music that both the counselor AND Jason hear during gameplay. All free of course. Ki-Ki-Ma-Ma-Bleep-Bloop

3 minutes ago, Über Jason said:

Probably adding him in the intro and outro. Heres hoping for new kills or his own stats. Not sure why they're making new music though. I thought the mitch murder track was fine.

• Like 2

Yeah can't say I'm thrilled about the new music cause I enjoyed the one that was here. Maybe they caught a copyright claim? I remember early on someone made a post about the Mitch Murder track may have been made without permission of the guy who made the NES music because of small tidbits.

Hopefully it'll be better if they're making new ones though. And the fact they're removing him as an option to play shows me they may make him his own character, or that the copyright claim theory held some water.

I hope that the new music is a bit more intense, closer to the NES original MIDI score.  I will agree, the current track is fine (aside from some audio levels that could use adjusting, it's a wee too low), but it is missing a certain "dread" feeling when you hear it.  Anything extra adjusted or added to him will probably be for the best (could be a new kill, like a "Stone Bash" (listed as Stoned after killed): Jason grabs a stone from the ground and either bashes them with it, or throws it like a baseball into a counselors face.  It would be paying homage to the NES game and its various weapons).

• Like 2

I don't understand the reasoning to remove him in the interim. I mean why remove him to work on him? It seems to me that it would be easier and less intrusive to those that like using him to leave him there for now and patch the changes in later.

10 minutes ago, weirdkid5 said:

Yeah can't say I'm thrilled about the new music cause I enjoyed the one that was here. Maybe they caught a copyright claim? I remember early on someone made a post about the Mitch Murder track may have been made without permission of the guy who made the NES music because of small tidbits.

Hopefully it'll be better if they're making new ones though. And the fact they're removing him as an option to play shows me they may make him his own character, or that the copyright claim theory held some water.

It's absolutely possible. And removing him for the meantime just reinforces that. Obviously nothings confirmed but @bewareofbears could have been on to something.

I am excited for the new changes to NES Jason! I hope we get the intro and outdo, the music was too faint as well.

I really like the funky tune he has now. I'm sure its going to be neat but still I don't like change when I'm perfectly happy with something the way it already is

I'd like to think the new music will more like the original NES score. 

Hoping the Bleep-Bloop in the description signifies we may be getting the "Jason alarm" from the game. Although I'm sure it means something else and I don't get it.

I honestly think he needs a rework, because he's currently not truly Retro Jason.

The NES game didn't have a trendy hipster chiptune. That music turns him into an ironic joke rather than an evocative piece of nostalgia.

If they could get the rights, I'd be happy with just the original NES score. This playlist contains all the assets you need.

You've got the short surprise musical cue that sets off the encounter music in 'Title Screen'. Actual encounter music with 'Stage Theme'. Kill animation music 'Jason Attacks'. And even intro and outro music with 'Camp Crystal Lake Map' and 'Ending Theme'.

I want cool nostalgia. What we have at the moment feels more like making a quick knock off-joke at the expense of the source.

It's always going to be hokey, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with respect.

• Like 2

Its more than likely a copyright issue because their really isn't a need to remove it to work on one that is going to be new.  

1 hour ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

It's absolutely possible. And removing him for the meantime just reinforces that. Obviously nothings confirmed but @bewareofbears could have been on to something.

Definitely possible. I took a lot of flak for that thread.

The "Retro Jason"/Counselor Clothing Pack was a rush job. It was pretty apparent at the time so I am happy they're going to tidy up that Jason, maybe they'll give him that "exclusive kill" that ended up not happening because someone "mispoke". The chiptune currently is a nice homage (with a lifted melody) but it doesn't really cause any dread. It's way too relaxed and messes with the overall feel of a match.

I'm wondering if they'll give him any visual updates and/or maybe we'll get new videos for the start and end of matches.

1 hour ago, DEATH said:

I don't understand the reasoning to remove him in the interim. I mean why remove him to work on him? It seems to me that it would be easier and less intrusive to those that like using him to leave him there for now and patch the changes in later.

Maybe they'll make him his own Jason instead of a skin. I agree, not really sure why it couldn't just be patched at a later date.

3 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I agree, not really sure why it couldn't just be patched at a later date.

Removing him suggests there's a copyright issue to me.

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Removing him suggests there's a copyright issue to me.

Definitely could be, I wonder if we'll ever know. It's interesting they stated there will be "new" music.

16 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Definitely possible. I took a lot of flak for that thread.

A lot of that flak seemed to be from people just looking for an argument. Almost all of it was unwarrented.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

Who cares? Purple Jason sucks.

Except he's not purple Jason. He's NES Jason.

It's a fun part of the franchise's history and he kind of deserves a little more respect than the community and the rush job the devs gave him.

Sure, his game was trash and dull, but in the end, just like all elements of the franchise he deserves a ''better" place in the game than he's currently got.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broke weasel said:

Except he's not purple Jason. He's NES Jason.

It's a fun part of the franchise's history and he kind of deserves a little more respect than the community and the rush job the devs gave him.

Sure, his game was trash and dull, but in the end, just like all elements of the franchise he deserves a ''better" place in the game than he's currently got.

He doesn't need to be in this game. He totally ruins the atmosphere. Hence why he has never been used by me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

He doesn't need to be in this game. He totally ruins the atmosphere. Hence why he has never been used by me.

Then....good for you?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, broke weasel said:

Then....good for you?

Yep. And for the counsellors.

NES Jason is best Jason. Plaus, it's totally meta: Video game Jason in a Jason video game!

I don't play as Retro Jason that much. That being said, my only problem with it was that it was a skin for part 3 and not its own thing entirely. I hope they give him his own look and maybe his own kills. 

I've heard people complain that it ruins the atmosphere of the game. I can understand this but I find it quite fun...

But I know what we really need...

images-1.jpg

• Like 1

Seems simple...

1. Give him his pixalated 8 Bit look

2. Give him a different weapon

3. Give him his own strengths/weaknesses

4. The actual NES music...they should have the money to do so

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAGEVIRUS said:

I don't mind NES/Purple Jason and for those who love him and want him, it's great that he's in the game but this is pretty much how I feel. I hope we get a new Jason before they go to work on Retro because honestly, that's way more important & interesting, imo.

People suggesting giving him a pixelated look and what not are just piling on reasons why he NES Jason doesn't really need to even be here.

7 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Probably adding him in the intro and outro. Heres hoping for new kills or his own stats. Not sure why they're making new music though. I thought the mitch murder track was fine.

I bet they will fix the intro and outro. As for the music, maybe an orchestral treatment of the chip tune?