1 minute ago, Crooked Wookie said:

I don't understand how everyone is missing the point here: the idea is not to trap Jason.  You don't even have to ARM the trap - in fact, you're better off not arming it, so it can't harm other counselors.  The mere physical presence of the trap will prevent Jason from putting his own traps where the counselor crouches to install the fuse, so putting traps around it will do you no good.  The unarmed counselor trap is effectively creating a safe space which they can stand on and fix the fuse without fear of Jason's traps.

Then that sounds like a variation of body blocking and should be treated as an exploit if it allows players to avoid a gameplay feature as an advantage

Just now, lHeartBreakerl said:

I'd be lying if I said I haven't accidentally done that before. It's extremely easy to do. The one time I did do it I ummuted my mic and told the guy he gets 1 free swing.

He didn't last long after but at least he had a chance.

That's pretty funny.  Yeah I didn't say anything last night because it was a lobby where nobody was on mic, but I honestly felt kind of bad.  
I have no idea if block is supposed to stop flares or not - I generally try to juke them in the open but if someone is standing there with the gun pointed at the door, I'm going to use it until I find out definitively that it's an exploit, or they patch it out.  I knew there were at least two people in there, one with the flare gun, another with a melee weapon, so I just blocked and stepped in to be safe, and hung my head in shame the second I heard the trap snap.

Just now, Crooked Wookie said:

That's pretty funny.  Yeah I didn't say anything last night because it was a lobby where nobody was on mic, but I honestly felt kind of bad.  
I have no idea if block is supposed to stop flares or not - I generally try to juke them in the open but if someone is standing there with the gun pointed at the door, I'm going to use it until I find out definitively that it's an exploit, or they patch it out.  I knew there were at least two people in there, one with the flare gun, another with a melee weapon, so I just blocked and stepped in to be safe, and hung my head in shame the second I heard the trap snap.

They confirmed that the bear trap and firecracker blocks are exploits. 

But things get confusing with the flares and doors. One dev said that blocking flares and using combat stance on doors is an exploit, another said they arent. I guess the only way to find out is if they stay in game or not.

1 hour ago, Pappus said:

There are morphspots that are within grabbing distance of the objective. So if Jason randomly decides to morph there while you do it you are dead. Yeah a morph trap provides nothing there.

Of course you wouldn't know that since the concept of morphspots is new to you.

Jason hears the car starting and morphs? Boom trapped and now you can sail smooth.

lol thanks to EXPLOITS.

Plus there's NO guarantee that he even morphs directly to where you're assuming he will. Then what?

This whole concept is a big joke and waste of time/useless.

I mean, if it works for you, great. It's stupid nonetheless.

Just now, Redcat345 said:

Then that sounds like a variation of body blocking and should be treated as an exploit if it allows players to avoid a gameplay feature as an advantage

Don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing in favor of it.  There just seems to be a lot of confusion about why people are bringing it up.  
You're the second or third person in this thread who essentially dismissed it with a "so I step in their trap, big deal, it can't hurt me," or "so I'll just trap around it.."

But the counselor's bear trap is BIG, and Jason can't place traps over it, so all they need to do is place it where Jason would set his first trap, not even arm it, and they have a safe spot, which I totally agree is not how that's meant to be used.   

So to be clear, I have two thoughts on the subject.  One is that they should probably figure out a fix for that - although I don't know what an easy fix for the issue looks like.  Two is that I'm not especially worried about the impact of it, exploit-wise, because it's so much less effective a method compared to simply body blocking the traps, which also needs to be fixed.

Both methods can also be gotten around if you have enough traps but it puts poor Part 7 (and I think Part 9) at an even bigger disadvantage as he would have to use literally all of his traps just to counter this method, leaving nothing for the car(s).  To get around the counselor trap block you'd have to put one trap behind the counselor trap, and one to either side, so that there was no safe way to step into the safe space without getting around a Jason trap.  Most of the Jasons can probably manage that - Part 2 couldn't care less - but Part 7 is going to have to blow his entire trap allowance.

That being said, I cannot stress enough how this method will only troll very new or weak Jason players, as the odds of finding a trap, getting to the fuse box, placing the trap, and (ideally) getting away, all before Jason shows up with his own traps, is pretty miniscule.

5 minutes ago, Crooked Wookie said:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing in favor of it.  There just seems to be a lot of confusion about why people are bringing it up.  
You're the second or third person in this thread who essentially dismissed it with a "so I step in their trap, big deal, it can't hurt me," or "so I'll just trap around it.."

But the counselor's bear trap is BIG, and Jason can't place traps over it, so all they need to do is place it where Jason would set his first trap, not even arm it, and they have a safe spot, which I totally agree is not how that's meant to be used.   

So to be clear, I have two thoughts on the subject.  One is that they should probably figure out a fix for that - although I don't know what an easy fix for the issue looks like.  Two is that I'm not especially worried about the impact of it, exploit-wise, because it's so much less effective a method compared to simply body blocking the traps, which also needs to be fixed.

Both methods can also be gotten around if you have enough traps but it puts poor Part 7 (and I think Part 9) at an even bigger disadvantage as he would have to use literally all of his traps just to counter this method, leaving nothing for the car(s).  To get around the counselor trap block you'd have to put one trap behind the counselor trap, and one to either side, so that there was no safe way to step into the safe space without getting around a Jason trap.  Most of the Jasons can probably manage that - Part 2 couldn't care less - but Part 7 is going to have to blow his entire trap allowance.

That being said, I cannot stress enough how this method will only troll very new or weak Jason players, as the odds of finding a trap, getting to the fuse box, placing the trap, and (ideally) getting away, all before Jason shows up with his own traps, is pretty miniscule.

Send that Pappus video to fearthegun@gun media.com as proof of the exploit

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

They confirmed that the bear trap and firecracker blocks are exploits. 

But things get confusing with the flares and doors. One dev said that blocking flares and using combat stance on doors is an exploit, another said they arent. I guess the only way to find out is if they stay in game or not.

That's the big issue I have with this, and why I hope they fix it soon, if it's not meant to work that way.  Roof glitching, or hidden room glitching, when that was a thing - you had to do that on purpose.  You didn't just accidentally twerk the wall until you glitched clean through it.  But who hasn't, as Jason, stepped through a door and immediately gotten clubbed or flared by someone who was standing just out of sight or waiting for you to come through?

So it's not a bad habit to walk into the room in combat stance, prepared for an ambush, so you have time to check the room and figure out what to do.  But doing so will block flares (apparently an exploit) and let you walk right over a trap if they have one set (definitely an exploit) and you can do this while just trying to legitimately avoid getting hit upside the head with a bat the second you step in the room.  It's very easy to wind up cheesing without meaning to, so hopefully they'll just fix it so flares and traps have their desired effect even if you're blocking in combat stance.

And yeah, I keep seeing people say that combat stance on doors is an exploit, or they saw a dev say it was, but I've never seen that myself, and I could swear I've seen them say that it was legit - you can break down the door faster, but you're at risk for being counter-attacked and stunned through it.  I'm on Xbox so I hope to GOD they get around to fixing the matchmaking issues and such, but I also really, really hope that they're making some of these weird bugs and exploits (and the many broken perks) a priority too.  Be nice if more things in the game actually worked as intended.

37 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Not necessarily. If I shift into a house over the bear trap then manage to shift grab them immediately I consider that a win.

Yes, well if you actually manage to grab and kill a councillor then it is not a waste. Jason is not held back for nearly long enough in traps, not enough if a councillor is already short on stamina and may have just broken their weapon on Jason and so is also defenceless. 

3 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Send that video to fearthegun@gun media.com as proof of the exploit

Might take me a little time to get in a match with a bad Jason where I can find a trap, and find the fuse box, and set it up, but I might try it just to A. see how it works and B. send it to them with a 'is it supposed to do this?' kind of note and see what they say.

As far as placing counselor bear traps in front of repair slots to stop Jason's traps, they could allow Jason to pick up and move counselor bear traps once they have been tripped or have not been set yet. Or allow Jason's own traps to be placed through counselor bear traps.

1 minute ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

As far as placing counselor bear traps in front of repair slots to stop Jason's traps, they could allow Jason to pick up and move counselor bear traps once they have been tripped or have not been set yet. Or allow Jason's own traps to be placed through counselor bear traps.

The latter seems like the best option.

1 minute ago, Peter1970 said:

Yes, well if you actually manage to grab and kill a councillor then it is not a waste. Jason is not held back for nearly long enough in traps, not enough if a councillor is already short on stamina and may have just broken their weapon on Jason and so is also defenceless. 

That's the other thing that seems kind of weird to me.  I guess you could argue "one of them is on a cooldown, and expends a critical ability for at least a short time" but it does seem a little weird to me that blocking and walking over a trap is an exploit, but shifting over one is working as intended.  I mean I understand there is a distinction; one basically has an ability cooldown 'cost' and the other does not.  But it is a little jarring you can just move right over traps doing this and that's fine, but if you move over traps doing that, that is bad.

4 minutes ago, Crooked Wookie said:

Might take me a little time to get in a match with a bad Jason where I can find a trap, and find the fuse box, and set it up, but I might try it just to A. see how it works and B. send it to them with a 'is it supposed to do this?' kind of note and see what they say.

Don't even do that, just email the developers with the video at the start of this thread and let them handle it. 

3 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Then they would need to allow councillors to pick up sprung Jason traps and set the at doors to catch Jason. See, Jason already has too many advantages, you are wanting more advantages for him. Not acceptable. 

1 minute ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

The latter seems like the best option.

I disagree, if only because the size of the counselor trap might make it VERY hard to see Jason's traps underneath.  Not sure they need the extra camo help.
Counslors can disarm Jason's traps, might make sense if he could do an animation similar to knocking out the fuse box and wreck the traps with his weapon.  It would still stop him for a couple of seconds, though, so the only real upside for him would be the fact they couldn't get reset, I guess?  I just hate the thought of some troll deliberately coming and putting their trap down on top of Jason's, hiding it from the next person who comes along to fix the phone.

2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

@Crooked Wookie If they make Jason able to block flares(must be holding the block button) from the front then I'm ok with that. I think flares should still get Jason from the sides and back even in combat stance because he's not blocking in that direction.

100%.

Then they would need to allow councillors to pick up sprung Jason traps and set the at doors to catch Jason. See, Jason already has too many advantages, you are wanting more advantages for him. Not acceptable. 

I think you're missing the point.

Just now, Peter1970 said:

What I mean is that if the bear trap is set, teeth open and ready to chomp, Jason can't touch it other than step in it. Once a bear trap has been tripped and it's sitting there deactivated, Jason can move it. Or as I said just let Jason place traps through counselor traps. It was never intended to entirely deny Jason the ability to control the objective.

1 minute ago, Crooked Wookie said:

I disagree, if only because the size of the counselor trap might make it VERY hard to see Jason's traps underneath.  Not sure they need the extra camo help.
Counslors can disarm Jason's traps, might make sense if he could do an animation similar to knocking out the fuse box and wreck the traps with his weapon.  It would still stop him for a couple of seconds, though, so the only real upside for him would be the fact they couldn't get reset, I guess?  I just hate the thought of some troll deliberately coming and putting their trap down on top of Jason's, hiding it from the next person who comes along to fix the phone.

I see what you mean. Double and triple trapping as Jason is bad enough as it is.

Multiple times have a escaped from a trap, only to immediately step on another when I haven't even moved and die.

Just now, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

What I mean is that if the bear trap is set, teeth open and ready to chomp, Jason can't touch it other than step in it. Once a bear trap has been tripped and it's sitting there deactivated, Jason can move it. Or as I said just let Jason place traps through counselor traps. It was never intended to entirely deny Jason the ability to control the objective.

I think the councillor traps are not meant to be set to catch Jason, or indeed a councillor, they are just supposed to be placed down at the fuse box. But this does stop Jason surrounding that bear trap with three of his own, especially the damn bag head Jason.

I think the councillor traps are not meant to be set to catch Jason, or indeed a councillor, they are just supposed to be placed down at the fuse box. But this does stop Jason surrounding that bear trap with three of his own, especially the damn bag head Jason.

No, in the pre-release trailers for the game, bear traps were shown being used against Jason elsewhere in the maps. Therefore they didn't foresee people using bear traps at the phone and other repair places.

51 minutes ago, Peter1970 said:

For Corkenstein - Anyone who wastes a shift to avoid a trap is a idiot. A few seconds caught compared to how long it takes for shift to regenerate. Mugs.

Not really.  Some people think they are invincible because they have a trap in front of a door.  You know how many times I have shifted over a trap into a cabin to shift grab and got them?  Not like they have much space for them to work with especially for a grab that takes 1 second.  Even if they did run away, 90% of the time they freak out and run towards the door and get stuck in their own trap because they didn't expect me to pass it.  Sometime they jump out the window but I already busted them out so they are going to take a hit anyways.  It's a win win for me as Jason.  

Even in an open area where they try to lead me into a trap.  As soon as I see it, I shift ahead of them and grab them as they try to run around it.  You'd be surprised to see how many times it works.  

4 minutes ago, Peter1970 said:

These are bear traps.

traps. very important word. 

Not a tool to negate jason from protecting an objective.

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

I see what you mean. Double and triple trapping as Jason is bad enough as it is.

Multiple times have a escaped from a trap, only to immediately step on another when I haven't even moved and die.

I had that happen to me once, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't used that to good effect as Jason myself.  I *usually* double trap the phone unless I'm playing Part 7 or 9, I admit.
I was watching a stream once, and someone stepped in a trap at the fuse box, got free, immediately set off another one and died, and the host/streamer kind of gently chewed Jason out for that.  She was playing private matches with subs only, and one of her house rules was 'no more than one trap in a given spot.'  So one on the fuse box - IF someone sets that off and you have more, you can go back and place another one.  One on the battery and one on the gas is acceptable, since that counts as two different spots and will only kill you if you manage to run into one after the other somehow.

There have been a few games where I've played around with that - it definitely gives the counselors a leg up since they only have to get through/past a single trap and can call the police - which in turn, as Jason, makes you keep a closer eye on that spot, come back and check it more frequently, adds some tension and danger to the game.  It's stressful but kind of fun.

I will admit: IF they remove the body blocking exploit, I would not cry if they did something like increase the block radius of a trap enough that you can only effectively place one on the phone at a time.  I think it makes things pretty interesting.