bewareofbears

Roy: Abilties, Strengths & Weaknesses based on 'Part V: A New Beginning'

So, I watched 'A New Beginning' last night and took notes throughout the film. I'm posting them here so we can debate Roy as a Jason using facts. To start, this is what I believe Roy's strengths and weaknesses should be.

Strengths
  • +Stalk
  • +Weapon Strength
  • +Stun Resistance
Weaknesses
  • -Sense
  • -Can't Run
  • -Defence

Weapon

• Machete (plus average traps and knives)

The reasons for my choices are based on Roy's actions during the film:

Defense
Roy fails to block all incoming attacks, except for the chainsaw.

Destruction
While Roy's ability to burst through a door is impressive, it is on par with the ability of all Jasons once "Rage" is activated.
  1. 59:00 - Roy smashes his hand through a window, killing Ethel with the cleaver
  2. 1:10:05 - Roy walks through a door like it's not there
  3. 1:13:10 - Roy throws a body through a window

Driving
The subject of Roy driving comes up often. Roy is not the driver of the ambulance. Roy's co-worker is also found dead in the driver's seat. 
  • 21:20 - Roy's a passenger in the ambulance, not the driver

Grip Strength
Roy has an above average grip strength, in line with other living Jasons.
  1. 1:08:00 - Roy chokes Violet against a wall and raises her up the wall, all one-handed
  2. 1:22:18 - Roy holds holds himself up using the arm lacerated by the chainsaw

Less or More Hit Points
Roy takes more damage during the course of the film than the average human could likely withstand and keep going. The amount of damage Roy takes is on par, and possibly more, than other Jasons.
  1. 1:14:25 - Roy is hit with a tractor
  2. 1:17:15 - Roy takes a slice from a chainsaw to his left shoulder
  3. 1:19:20 - Roy takes a knife to the inner thigh, then manages to climb a ladder
  4. 1:22:50 - Roy takes a machete chop to the wrist, possibly losing his hand

Morph
Roy displays 4 instances of what could be considered a "morph". Roy's ability to do so is likely on par with other Jasons, particularly living.
  1. 56:00 - Matt and George killed offscreen, presumably before or during while Reggie, Pam and Tommy were at the trailer park. Roy then appeared at the trailer park to kill Demon and Nita.
  2. 57:35 - Junior arrives at home on his motorcycle, having left the trailer park (again, on his motorcycle) before Roy (who stayed to kill Demon and Nita), Junior killed by Roy at 58:45, cleaver kill. *Roy is able to go from the trailer park to Ethel's in an impossible amount of time.
  3. 1:11:10 - Reggie and Pam ran from the house to the ambulance, Roy does not run after them. Roy appears on the opposite side of the ambulance. Roy does not appear tired or breathing heavily. Basically, an impossible scenario again which requires Roy to "Morph". When Reggie and Pam run away, Roy *walks* after them.
  4. 1:13:10 - Pam runs back to the house, stops briefly to see a dead body on the way. Pam is in the house briefly before Roy throws the body of George through the window

Rage
Roy displays rage in the climax of the film, bursting through a door with ease and powering through multiple stuns.

Run
At no point in the film does Roy ever run. Roy's fastest pace is a "fast walk" similar to undead Jasons already in-game.
  1. 1:11:10 - Roy walks after Pam and Reggie
  2. 1:13:45 - Roy "fast walks" in pursuit of Pam
  3. 1:16:00 - Roy walks to the barn

Sense
Roy does not appear to have any sort of extra sixth sense. Roy's attempt in example #2 highlights his inability to sense. Roy's "sense" ability is deficient compared to other Jasons.
  1. 1:18:05 - Roy does not "sense" Tommy has entered the barn until Reggie calls out Tommy's name
  2. 1:21:00 - Roy attempts to "sense" where Reggie and Pam are. Reggie reveals himself and Roy doesn't see the sneak attack coming from behind by Pam

Shift
Roy's ability to "shift" is average. He displays being capable of doing so twice- particularly in example #2. His ability is not above or below average.
  1. 38:51 - Roy appears on one side of the car, then the other, kills Lana, axe kill (This could easily be accomplished by walking, presented in the film as a "Shift" though.)
  2. 45:00 - Tina seen laying on blanket, wide shot, no Roy in sight, Roy appears, kills Tina, shears kill

Stalk
Roy is a master of "stalk". Out of Roy's 17 victims. a confirmed 11 never saw it coming.
  1. 25:40 - Roy appears behind greaser fixing car, flare kill
  2. 26:30 - Roy appears behind 2nd greaser inside car, machete kill
  3. 37:20 - Roy appears behind Billy, axe kill
  4. 43:50 - Roy appears behind drifter, knife kill
  5. 46:10 - Roy appears behind Eddie, belt kill
  6. 54:55 - Nita gasps, killed by Roy offscreen, unknown weapon kill
  7. 56:00 - Roy kills Demon, spike kill
  8. 59:00 - Roy kills an unsuspecting Ethel, cleaver kill
  9. 1:03:55 - Roy kills an unsuspecting Jake, cleaver kill
  10. 1:06:20 - Roy kills an unsuspecting Robin, machete kill
  11. 1:06:55 - One of the greatest stalks ever, Roy sneaks in on Violet dancing, machete kill

Stun Resistance
Roy's longest stun duration is after he is hit with a tractor. All other stuns happen after the hit from the tractor and Roy is able to recover from them in a remarkable amount of time considering the damage he's taken.
  1. 1:14:25 - Roy is stunned by a hit from a tractor
  2. 1:15:25 - Roy shakes off two kicks to the mask from Pam
  3. 1:17:55 - Roy shakes off a chainsaw thrown at him
  4. 1:19:20 - Roy is stunned by a knife to the inner thigh
  5. 1:21:30 - Roy is hit in the back with something wooden (?), not stunned
  6. 1:21:55 - Roy is knocked out of the barn but manages to hold on, apparently with the arm lacerated by the chainsaw
  7. 1:22:50 - Roy's hand is chopped with a machete causing him to lose his grip and fall to his death

Traps
Roy uses no form of traps throughout the film, at least not that we see. This is on par with other Jasons.

Water Speed
Roy is never seen swimming or in a situation that requires it. We would assume he's not above or below average.

Weapon Strength
Roy is an effecient killer and doesn't require more than one blow/cut/stab/etc to kill a victim.

Weapons
Roy's preferred weapon is the machete. Over the course of three days, Roy uses the machete on the first day and then enters the film's climax on the third day with the machete. It is the only weapon to be used on multiple days. The cleaver and machete are both used three times. The machete may have been used up to five times as two victims are found with their throats slashed.
  1. 25:40 - Flare
  2. 26:30 - Machete
  3. 37:20 - Axe
  4. 38:51 - Axe
  5. 43:50 - Knife
  6. 45:00 - Shears
  7. 46:10 - Belt
  8. 54:55 - Unknown weapon (throat slashed)
  9. 56:00 - Spike
  10. 58:45 - Cleaver 
  11. 59:00 - Cleaver
  12. 1:03:55 - Cleaver
  13. 1:06:20 - Machete
  14. 1:07:55 - Machete
  15. 1:11:10 - Unknown weapon (throat slashed)
  16. 1:12:25 - Railroad spike
  17. 1:13:10 - Unknown weapon (eyes gouged, similar to shears kill)

Mods- if this post is too similar in topic please merge with whichever post, as opposed to locking it. Thanks. :)
  • Like 23

6 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Mods- if this post is too similar in topic please merge with whichever post, as opposed to locking it. Thanks. :)

That is some damn impressive note-taking @bewareofbears. I think this topic is unique enough to stand on it's own. Those look like pretty balanced "Jason" stats compared to the rest. Looks like a build that is pretty faithful to the character. I'd play him.

• Like 1

I like this. Only thing though is it would be better to see him with a meat cleaver. Nothing at all against your choice, just be nice to see a new weapon choice. But then again, one can dare to dream that they put the weapon choice back in that they got rid of for some reason.

6 minutes ago, tjohnnyblue said:

I like this. Only thing though is it would be better to see him with a meat cleaver. Nothing at all against your choice, just be nice to see a new weapon choice.

I feel using a cleaver would also result in an interesting Jason. Of course I would assume it has less range than other Jason's weapons, resulting in it needing the wep. Strength buff.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tjohnnyblue said:

I like this. Only thing though is it would be better to see him with a meat cleaver. Nothing at all against your choice, just be nice to see a new weapon choice. But then again, one can dare to dream that they put the weapon choice back in that they got rid of for some reason.

I'm all right the cleaver myself, or even the shears. I went with the machete because it's his weapon of choice and (surprisingly) there is only one Jason with a machete in a Friday the 13th game,

10 minutes ago, JTDestroyer5900 said:

I feel using a cleaver would also result in an interesting Jason. Of course I would assume it has less range than other Jason's weapons, resulting in it needing the wep. Strength buff.

It would definitely be a disadvantage when there are weapons with the range of the pitchfork and spike. Maybe speeding up how quickly he attacks with it would help a bit. There's also an example of Roy breaking a window with a cleaver in the film. The biggest concern I have with a cleaver is the amount of time it would take to chop down a door.

Just now, bewareofbears said:

I'm all right the cleaver myself, or even the shears. I went with the machete because it's his weapon of choice and (surprisingly) there is only one Jason with a machete in a Friday the 13th game,

It would definitely be a disadvantage when there are weapons with the range of the pitchfork and spike. Maybe speeding up how quickly he attacks with it would help a bit. There's also an example of Roy breaking a window with a cleaver in the film. The biggest concern I have with a cleaver is the amount of time it would take to chop down a door.

I feel like chopping down a door wouldn't be an issue. If pt. 6 can slam a thin metal pole against a barricaded door and cause it to break, an actual bladed object(regardless of size) would work way better. Also, I feel that increased weapon speed with a weapon buff might be too much. Like a bleed build using DMB on Gravewarden Twinblades. Increased weapon speed by itself would make the cleaver good. Plus it would be a unique Jason skill(like pt. 2 with +Traps)

11 minutes ago, JTDestroyer5900 said:

I feel like chopping down a door wouldn't be an issue. If pt. 6 can slam a thin metal pole against a barricaded door and cause it to break, an actual bladed object(regardless of size) would work way better. Also, I feel that increased weapon speed with a weapon buff might be too much. Like a bleed build using DMB on Gravewarden Twinblades. Increased weapon speed by itself would make the cleaver good. Plus it would be a unique Jason skill(like pt. 2 with +Traps)

Yea, I could probably suspend my disbelief to allow Roy to take down a door with a cleaver. You're probably right that increased speed plus the buff would be too much- especially for the weaker counselors. I like the idea of a unique weapon speed skill.

I consider this spot-on for what Roy should be. But I wonder how +Stun Resistance and -Defense work together. -Defense lowers the chance to block, and +Stun Resistance lowers the chance to be stunned, so will Roy be taking a lot of hits with the "knocked aside" animation that does not stun him?

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

Yea, I could probably suspend my disbelief to allow Roy to take down a door with a cleaver. You're probably right that increased speed plus the buff would be too much- especially for the weaker counselors. I like the idea of a unique weapon speed skill.

See how big this cleaver is.

3mwf74b.jpg

The cleaver might be better balanced because it would have shorter range, but they could give it swing speed on par with or slightly faster than the machete. Combined with +Weapon Damage I think would make for interesting matches.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I consider this spot-on for what Roy should be. But I wonder how +Stun Resistance and -Defense work together. -Defense lowers the chance to block, and +Stun Resistance lowers the chance to be stunned, so will Roy be taking a lot of hits with the "knocked aside" animation that does not stun him?

I'd think so, or basically have shorter stun durations in general. I think it would basically mean you're more likely to hit him but less likely to get a stun out of it. Which would be interesting if he was required to be stunned for a kill- the player would have to work for it and it would be to Roy's benefit.

Edit:

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow That cleaver is gigantic- I didn't notice that.

17 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

1. 1:06:55 - One of the greatest stalks ever, Roy sneaks in on Violet dancing, machete kill

That reminds me. They should add "His Eyes" by Pseudo Echo in the game via radio.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

So, I watched 'A New Beginning' last night and took notes throughout the film. I'm posting them here so we can debate Roy as a Jason using facts. To start, this is what I believe Roy's strengths and weaknesses should be.

Strengths
  • +Stalk
  • +Weapon Strength
  • +Stun Resistance
Weaknesses
  • -Sense
  • -Can't Run
  • -Defence

Weapon

Defense

Destruction
While Roy's ability to burst through a door is impressive, it is on par with the ability of all Jasons once "Rage" is activated.
  1. 59:00 - Roy smashes his hand through a window, killing Ethel with the cleaver

Driving
The subject of Roy driving comes up often. Roy is not the driver of the ambulance. Roy's co-worker is also found dead in the driver's seat. 

Grip Strength
  1. 1:08:00 - Roy chokes Violet against a wall and raises her up the wall, all one-handed

Less or More Hit Points
Roy takes more damage during the course of the film than the average human could likely withstand and keep going. The amount of damage Roy takes is on par, and possibly more, than other Jasons.
  3. 1:19:20 - Roy takes a knife to the inner thigh, then manages to climb a ladder

Morph
Roy displays 4 instances of what could be considered a "morph". Roy's ability to do so is likely on par with other Jasons, particularly living.
  1. 56:00 - Matt and George killed offscreen, presumably before or during while Reggie, Pam and Tommy were at the trailer park. Roy then appeared at the trailer park to kill Demon and Nita.
  2. 57:35 - Junior arrives at home on his motorcycle, having left the trailer park (again, on his motorcycle) before Roy (who stayed to kill Demon and Nita), Junior killed by Roy at 58:45, cleaver kill. *Roy is able to go from the trailer park to Ethel's in an impossible amount of time.
  3. 1:11:10 - Reggie and Pam ran from the house to the ambulance, Roy does not run after them. Roy appears on the opposite side of the ambulance. Roy does not appear tired or breathing heavily. Basically, an impossible scenario again which requires Roy to "Morph". When Reggie and Pam run away, Roy *walks* after them.
  4. 1:13:10 - Pam runs back to the house, stops briefly to see a dead body on the way. Pam is in the house briefly before Roy throws the body of George through the window

Rage
Roy displays rage in the climax of the film, bursting through a door with ease and powering through multiple stuns.

Run
At no point in the film does Roy ever run. Roy's fastest pace is a "fast walk" similar to undead Jasons already in-game.

Sense
Roy does not appear to have any sort of extra sixth sense. Roy's attempt in example #2 highlights his inability to sense. Roy's "sense" ability is deficient compared to other Jasons.
  1. 1:18:05 - Roy does not "sense" Tommy has entered the barn until Reggie calls out Tommy's name
  2. 1:21:00 - Roy attempts to "sense" where Reggie and Pam are. Reggie reveals himself and Roy doesn't see the sneak attack coming from behind by Pam

Shift
Roy's ability to "shift" is average. He displays being capable of doing so twice- particularly in example #2. His ability is not above or below average.
  1. 38:51 - Roy appears on one side of the car, then the other, kills Lana, axe kill (This could easily be accomplished by walking, presented in the film as a "Shift" though.)
  2. 45:00 - Tina seen laying on blanket, wide shot, no Roy in sight, Roy appears, kills Tina, shears kill

Stalk
Roy is a master of "stalk". Out of Roy's 17 victims. a confirmed 11 never saw it coming.
  11. 1:06:55 - One of the greatest stalks ever, Roy sneaks in on Violet dancing, machete kill

Stun Resistance
Roy's longest stun duration is after he is hit with a tractor. All other stuns happen after the hit from the tractor and Roy is able to recover from them in a remarkable amount of time considering the damage he's taken.
  6. 1:21:55 - Roy is knocked out of the barn but manages to hold on, apparently with the arm lacerated by the chainsaw
  7. 1:22:50 - Roy's hand is chopped with a machete causing him to lose his grip and fall to his death

Traps
Roy uses no form of traps throughout the film, at least not that we see. This is on par with other Jasons.

Water Speed
Roy is never seen swimming or in a situation that requires it. We would assume he's not above or below average.

Weapon Strength
Roy is an effecient killer and doesn't require more than one blow/cut/stab/etc to kill a victim.

Weapons
Roy's preferred weapon is the machete. Over the course of three days, Roy uses the machete on the first day and then enters the film's climax on the third day with the machete. It is the only weapon to be used on multiple days. The cleaver and machete are both used three times. The machete may have been used up to five times as two victims are found with their throats slashed.

Very good citation of evidence, this should help the devs add Roy in.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Strengths
  • +Stalk
  • +Weapon Strength
  • +Stun Resistance
Weaknesses
  • -Sense
  • -Can't Run
  • -Defence

Weapon

Defense

Destruction

Driving

Grip Strength

Less or More Hit Points

Morph

Rage

Run

Sense

Shift

Stalk

Stun Resistance

Traps

Water Speed

Weapon Strength

Weapons

If I could give you a thousand likes I could. Very AWESOME analysis here. I'd play Roy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

That reminds me. They should add "His Eyes" by Pseudo Echo in the game via radio.

Yes, definitely. :)

2 hours ago, tjohnnyblue said:

Out of curiosity, what would your breakdown of a Final Chapter Jason look like?

I haven't done one but I may, I've been considering doing one for Part 4 and Jason X/Uber Jason. My main goal here was to provide facts for the Roy debate because I've seen everything from "Roy should sabotage cars!" to "Roy should be able to go in and out of windows like a counselor!". Hopefully this will help put some of those types of ideas for Roy to bed. :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

A Lot of really amazing things...

This is great work!

I know I have characterized the ending chase as being less epic on Roy's part, and I stand by that, but this is really insightful.

The only area I would really question is the +stun. I know you point out how he was not stunned for long. I would have said the same for part 3 who took a bit more damage, though that one axe hit is funny because the initial stun was like a second, but then it stunned him for a whole day!

Looking at the other Jason with +stun, I believe it is only 9. This is a bit laughable since that guy is in the movie for half a damn second. As a unique factor I would then choose to agree to +stun.

Now if 4 was in there, I think that Jason needs a +stun.

Agree on everything else as you pointed out.

Also, the defense is funny. Even that scene with the defending of the chainsaw, it looks lackluster and like he is holding on for dear life. He is slow and though one handed, looks weak.

I wonder though if he couldn't have shears instead of machete. I like the idea of different weapons. He could use the shears as a cutting weapon or a piercing weapon. They would be more of a medium reach.

18 minutes ago, Definitelynotjason said:

This is great work!

I know I have characterized the ending chase as being less epic on Roy's part, and I stand by that, but this is really insightful.

The only area I would really question is the +stun. I know you point out how he was not stunned for long. I would have said the same for part 3 who took a bit more damage, though that one axe hit is funny because the initial stun was like a second, but then it stunned him for a whole day!

Looking at the other Jason with +stun, I believe it is only 9. This is a bit laughable since that guy is in the movie for half a damn second. As a unique factor I would then choose to agree to +stun.

Now if 4 was in there, I think that Jason needs a +stun.

Agree on everything else as you pointed out.

Also, the defense is funny. Even that scene with the defending of the chainsaw, it looks lackluster and like he is holding on for dear life. He is slow and though one handed, looks weak.

I wonder though if he couldn't have shears instead of machete. I like the idea of different weapons. He could use the shears as a cutting weapon or a piercing weapon. They would be more of a medium reach.

My thought process on the +Stun came from Roy's ability to recover particularly quickly. When Roy is hit with the tractor he's stunned and Reggie and Pam stand over him, he actually plays possum and grabs Reggie's leg. Pam kicks him in the face twice and he shakes it off. Pretty impressive. Roy is stabbed in the inner thigh with a knife and shortly after manages to climb a ladder. Roy's arm is lacerated with a chainsaw and he uses that arm to hold himself up when he's knocked out of the barn's loft. His ability to recover is kind of insane.

Yea- that chainsaw defense was actually pretty funny. I agree.

I'm honestly good with whatever they give him for a weapon as long as it's not another axe. :)

4 hours ago, tjohnnyblue said:

Out of curiosity, what would your breakdown of a Final Chapter Jason look like?

I'm not bewareofbears, but I'll pretend to be ;)

Final Chapter:

Weapon: Double headed Axe(I know, another axe but it really should have been the part 4 weapon to begin with)

+Can Run

+Stalk (very sneaky)

+Stun Resistance (Trish hammered his head to little effect)

-Less HP (died)

-Traps (um... because we need a running Jason with less traps? ^_^)

-Morph (Kind of stayed around the same place for most of the runtime)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Final Chapter:

Weapon: Double headed Axe(I know, another axe but it really should have been the part 4 weapon to begin with)

+Can Run

+Stalk (very sneaky)

-Less HP (died)

I like that. I just wish 4 could rage better. Dude was pissed from the get go. Ok, dude was a corpse from the get go; however, once he was done corpsing he was angry!

8 minutes ago, Definitelynotjason said:

I like that. I just wish 4 could rage better. Dude was pissed from the get go. Ok, dude was a corpse from the get go; however, once he was done corpsing he was angry!

I did have some ideas on more abilities such as:

Rage: Gains rage faster/slower than normal

Fear: Increases counselor fear faster/slower than normal

I have a topic on it. ;)

23 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Final Chapter:

+Can Run

+Stalk (very sneaky)

-Less HP (died)

Personally i'd like to see a quick Jason, so he could be the fastest. I'd go with a knife though, to perhaps offer Jason a weapon that can be used more swiftly than the rest. It would also add a bit more variety and there are plenty of axes already. It kinda sucks though that they limit him to just one weapon. Hopefully they change it back to the way it was at first. 

2 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Final Chapter:

+Can Run

+Stalk (very sneaky)

-Less HP (died)

All I know is he definitely needs to run. He may be the last possible Jason (outside of an original one created specifically for the game) to be able to run. I mentioned I may do some notes for Part 4, it's a good excuse to watch the movie again. :)

Unrelated to your comment, I'm definitely no authority on Jasons or even Roy, I really just wanted to provide the continued Roy debates with actual facts. Memories get foggy, etc. His strengths and weaknesses are definitely up for debate but they're what appeared the most logical based on his actions in the film. I get the developers will likely have their own ideas in an effort to balance the Jasons in-game (though I think this Roy set up is a good one.)

• Like 2

Roy was a beast. I agree with pretty much your idea of Roy, would like to see the cleaver though. A very fast chopping weapon. I think the sweater is really the big one here. how would that work?

3 minutes ago, Camp_Blood_Killer said:

Roy was a beast. I agree with pretty much your idea of Roy, would like to see the cleaver though. A very fast chopping weapon. I think the sweater is really the big one here. how would that work?

Replace the shack and sweater with Roy's ambulance and wallet. Plenty of topics about it already.

30 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Replace the shack and sweater with Roy's ambulance and wallet. Plenty of topics about it already.

As Vorhees has said and has been discussed before, the stun method would obviously change for other killers. Useless on Roy. What's Pamela going to do, stun herself with her own sweater? I don't even believe that would be useful on a cyborg. Funny how people keep bring that up as a deterent for new killers like Pam or Roy being introduced into the game, as if it couldn't easily be altered.