Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Caliph

Improvements to the game sorely needed.

Recommended Posts

1) Institute a 21 minute disconnect timer. You can if capable subtract 1 for 1 for every minute passed in game already. This dissuades people from abandoning the game to avoid a kill because they lose out on the bonus XP while still being forced to wait as if they had stayed. It solves the issue of people leaving until they become Jason as well. One should not simply be able to dodge playing counselor. When a fellow counselor abandons the game you have increased the average time another that stays has to deal with Jason. That is detrimental to others because of one persons selfishness. Dead counselors can leave as per normal.

2) Remove suicide. It serves no purpose other than to grief Jason. If Jason spends three minutes busting windows out and playing a chase fairly you should not simply be able to commit suicide to avoid the kill. It also goes with suggestion number one as people will suicide out of games to avoid the rejoin timer. Simply code it that only damage from another counselor or Jason can kill you. Self inflicted damage can only put you in a walking state. You may have to code that a person in a walking state can not pass through a broken window as there are certain areas where this problem would still be apparent. The barn as example. You could simplify the coding by making the suicide hit force the counselor into an immobile state. They were dead anyway so they should be a kill for Jason.

3) Consider switching stalk and sense in the unlock categories for Jason. It would make a much more interesting early game where people are ill prepared for a fight. Stalk would be much more fun early where you have counselors sneaking around and sense as strong as it is would come into play when fear as had time to take affect. Sound and stealth would have a better contribution as Jason would primarily detect through noise early on. It would have a tertiary effect of slowing the game down some I think by giving high stamina runners something to think about when they have a stalker beamed in on their ruckus.

4) Disconnect should be counted as a kill for Jason under all circumstances. The person neither survived or escaped.  "I could see that being abused for boosting. Everyone quits to give jason kill points, then they re-join and rotate who is jason. What they should do is remove the ability to bring up the game menu (nullify the esc key) while in Jason's grab and during kill animations. Right now if your menu is open and Jason grabs you, the game menu is closed but you can open it again, so the structure is already in place to remove the game menu for these animations." (Good suggestion, thanks VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely disagree with number two. It would remove the point of taking time to smash windows. Then campers could go back and forth out of windows endlessly. Or people hopping out of second story windows endlessly. I think it is fine the way it is. A counselor shouldn't be able to hop in and out of broken windows all day in my opinion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit detect on jason.  Especially when he has another counselor grabbed.  Sucks taking 50 swings at him pre animation and not connecting.  Sometimes the weapon even appears to pass right through jason.  

J7.  Total rework.  Lots of good stuff in another thread.  

Clipping through doors, windows, etc.  

More random layouts for the three current maps.  

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Hit detect on jason.  Especially when he has another counselor grabbed.  Sucks taking 50 swings at him pre animation and not connecting.  Sometimes the weapon even appears to pass right through jason.  

NH0zEjj.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say implementing a penalty for quitters, but since there are still too many dashboarding and server issues, I feel it is unfair to punish people for mistakes that are not their own.

I would like Jason to be able to stop the car from all angles personally. Drivers are getting real good and it would make it more difficult. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I completely disagree with number two. It would remove the point of taking time to smash windows. Then campers could go back and forth out of windows endlessly. Or people hopping out of second story windows endlessly. I think it is fine the way it is. A counselor shouldn't be able to hop in and out of broken windows all day in my opinion. 

That's why you prevent counselors from climbing through broken windows when the hit would be suicide (when they are limping). It should be considered too painful. The movie "Saw" demonstrates this perfectly. Given the choice of pain or death people still struggled to deal with the pain to save their life. Their procrastination ultimately was their undoing.

Its a necessity for the quitting penalty to work or people will simply suicide out of the game. Slightly more time consuming but ultimately disappointing for the person playing Jason and the other counselors. It simply must go with the leave penalty or you have fixed nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caliph said:

3) Consider switching stalk and sense in the unlock categories for Jason. It would make a much more interesting early game where people are ill prepared for a fight. Stalk would be much more fun early game where you have counselors sneaking around and sense as strong as it is would come into play when fear as had time to take affect. Sound and stealth would have a better contribution as Jason would primarily detect through noise early on. It would have a tertiary effect of slowing the game down some I think by giving high stamina runners something to think about when they have a stalker beamed in on their ruckus.

1-2 and 4 are bad ideas, but here I think you're on to something. Stalk would make early game much more interesting on all counts, and Sense is almost too powerful as-is. Two birds, one stone by flipping them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caliph said:

1) Institute a 21 minute disconnect timer. You can if capable subtract 1 for 1 for every minute passed in game already. This dissuades people from abandoning the game to avoid a kill because they lose out on the bonus XP while still being forced to wait as if they had stayed. It solves the issue of people leaving until they become Jason as well. One should not simply be able to dodge playing counselor. When a fellow counselor abandons the game you have increased the average time another that stays has to deal with Jason. That is detrimental to others because of one persons selfishness. Dead counselors can leave as per normal

There are a lot of connection issues right now. I don't think this would deter quitters but deter people from playing. I think PC is more stable but I think they need to fix a lot more with the game before they can reliably hand out temporary quit bans.

3 hours ago, Caliph said:

2) Remove suicide. It serves no purpose other than to grief Jason. If Jason spends three minutes busting windows out and playing a chase fairly you should not simply be able to commit suicide to avoid the kill. It also goes with suggestion number one as people will suicide out of games to avoid the rejoin timer. Simply code it that only damage from another counselor or Jason can kill you. Self inflicted damage can only put you in a walking state. You may have to code that a person in a walking state can not pass through a broken window as there are certain areas where this problem would still be apparent. The barn as example. You could simplify the coding by making the suicide hit force the counselor into an immobile state. They were dead anyway so they should be a kill for Jason.

You're on the right track. I think you should still be able to hurt yourself but like you said if the next glass cut would kill you then don't let the player climb through the broken window. However, bear traps should still kill. They could give a "suicide" penalty of -500xp but sometimes people really do suicide by accident because they don't see the trap. They should remove betrayal by bear trap though.

3 hours ago, Caliph said:

3) Consider switching stalk and sense in the unlock categories for Jason. It would make a much more interesting early game where people are ill prepared for a fight. Stalk would be much more fun early game where you have counselors sneaking around and sense as strong as it is would come into play when fear as had time to take affect. Sound and stealth would have a better contribution as Jason would primarily detect through noise early on. It would have a tertiary effect of slowing the game down some I think by giving high stamina runners something to think about when they have a stalker beamed in on their ruckus

I and many others thought this up a while back. Someone had the idea to make it an option, so now I think it should be optional. Say if you are over a certain level, say level 35 you get the option to switch your abilities to Morph-Stalk-Shift-Sense but under that is locked to Morph-Sense-Shift-Stalk.

3 hours ago, Caliph said:

4) Disconnect should be counted as a kill for Jason under all circumstances. The person neither survived or escaped.

I could see that being abused for boosting. Everyone quits to give jason kill points, then they re-join and rotate who is jason. What they should do is remove the ability to bring up the game menu (nullify the esc key) while in Jason's grab and during kill animations. Right now if your menu is open and Jason grabs you, the game menu is closed but you can open it again, so the structure is already in place to remove the game menu for these animations.

2 hours ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Hit detect on jason.  Especially when he has another counselor grabbed.  Sucks taking 50 swings at him pre animation and not connecting.  Sometimes the weapon even appears to pass right through jason.  

J7.  Total rework.  Lots of good stuff in another thread.  

Clipping through doors, windows, etc.  

More random layouts for the three current maps.  

 

Yes, if Jason is even slow-walking away from a counselor, they cannot hit him. It's as if his hitbox is moving forward in front of his back's model during forward moving animations. Needs some work.

J7 total rework agreed.

Jason clipping through doors and walls in combat stance does need to be fixed.

I think some locations of the maps are meant to be static to reflect the film locations. Some areas like Evergreen Camp could be more unique as they weren't in the films.

2 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I would like Jason to be able to stop the car from all angles personally. Drivers are getting real good and it would make it more difficult. 

I think Jason should impart force unto the car with melee attacks that would force it off-course to an extent. Maybe they could roll in "Weapon Strength" and "Destruction" into how much effect this has on the car. Stopping it outright with melee attacks I'm not so sure about. Maybe they could make it region-specific, like frontal attacks can built up to enough damage to stall it, like 2-3 attacks as long as it hits somewhere forward of the front tire, while rear attacks will make the car fishtail to a degree depending on Jason's attack or destruction strength, and attacks to the middle have varying degrees of effectiveness. Maybe "weapon strength" is how much force is imparted into the car and "destruction" is how much damage is imparted into the car, or vice versa.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, do something to fix the swerving motion in a boat to cause the prompt for jason not to come up.  All you have to do if jason is on you in the boat is to swerve back and forth quickly and you are safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Also, do something to fix the swerving motion in a boat to cause the prompt for jason not to come up.  All you have to do if jason is on you in the boat is to swerve back and forth quickly and you are safe.  

I think it's that Jason must be in a specific spot to get the prompt and if the boat is constantly swerving then the prompt only appears for a fraction of a second and you have to press it right then. You could mash E constantly to guarantee a boat flip while tailing the boat. I think the current boat flip mechanic doesn't need to be changed because I've hardly ever come across this problem.

It's also very hard to get back in the boat from the water because counselors need to be in the pixel perfect position to get the E prompt to get back in. They need to make the activation area bigger because I have been touching the boat and didn't get the prompt to get in the boat. Additionally if you're in the passenger seat and you need to switch to the driver seat, you get out of the boat completely. They should patch that so you can switch seats without getting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Hit detect on jason.  Especially when he has another counselor grabbed.  Sucks taking 50 swings at him pre animation and not connecting.  Sometimes the weapon even appears to pass right through jason.  

 

Yet again, another alpha level bug that shouldn't even be present in a "final" release

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It's also very hard to get back in the boat from the water because counselors need to be in the pixel perfect position to get the E prompt to get back in. They need to make the activation area bigger because I have been touching the boat and didn't get the prompt to get in the boat.

This is incredibly true. I have been left, and have had to leave people, simply because it was taking me/them minutes to get into a boat anywhere other than right at the dock. Ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Caliph said:

3) Consider switching stalk and sense in the unlock categories for Jason. It would make a much more interesting early game where people are ill prepared for a fight. Stalk would be much more fun early where you have counselors sneaking around and sense as strong as it is would come into play when fear as had time to take affect. Sound and stealth would have a better contribution as Jason would primarily detect through noise early on. It would have a tertiary effect of slowing the game down some I think by giving high stamina runners something to think about when they have a stalker beamed in on their ruckus.

I love this idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...