Sign in to follow this  
Arcanecynic

Spectator increased rewards/Abandoner penalty system

Should they implement an abandoner penalty system, and increase the reward for staying the full match duration?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should they implement an abandoner penalty system, and increase the reward for staying the full match duration?

• Yes - This will help bring some needed quality of life changes to matches
    • No

Hello fellow members

So I have vaguely mentioned this specific topic in a few related threads, but I would like to discuss the idea more in detail

So currently, the fact that there is absolutely no form of host migration, doesn't sit well with the player base on any platform for obvious reasons, and can ruin some really fun matches because lets face it, it's 2017, host migration should have been in the Alpha

That said, the current system, which has no repercussion for leaving matches abruptly has a few flaws that promotes unhealthy gameplay to a certain extent, and ends up impacting the counselor team, Jason, or the entire lobby gets shut down because the host left prematurely because he didn't like getting killed

The fundamental issues here are

• Sitting around for 15+ minutes, spectating is annoying, and can be tiresome for some to watch, but at the end, it's part of what makes the game, but offers too little reward for some players to remain patient in hopes of re-spawning as Tommy - This directly encourages leaving once you are dead, or before you die, which not only robs Jason of his Kill XP, but can also close the lobby on 7 other players, or bug the Tommy Jarvis spawn if you leave as soon as you are selected, turning him into a lifeless kill
  • No Penalty for people that simply quit for whatever reason because they don't like waiting, or don't like dying

My suggestions on how to improve the quality of life are as follows (Yes, implementing host migration is the biggest fix, but still won't stop people from leaving)

• Add a 30 second exit timer after clicking leave match
    • This will help eliminate people quickly leaving the match during a Jason kill animation, or as they are about to die from a melee hit, robbing him of the kill experience
    • This will also help people leaving immediately after dying, and making Tommy unplayable because the player that left the match was picked as Tommy after dying
    • Just to clarify, leaving the match in this manner does NOT give you a stack of abandoner penalty, it is purely there to ensure that people do not just up and leave that results in the above mentioned points

• With the above 30 second timer in mind, people can still force close the game, or ALT/F4 to skip the timer - Solution to this? Add a stacking abandoner penalty
    • With every premature exit of the game via forced close (Only while in an active match), receive a stacking penalty that starts once the account has prematurely exited X amount of active games (Lets say 10 times for argument sake in lets say a 72 hour period) and the penalty can have increased lobby search times, or temporarily disable searching for quick matches for lets say 30 minutes, after which the penalty expires, but is re-initiated for every forced quit thereafter (They also receive a soft warning initially after the 3rd forced exit of a game in progress, explaining what would happen after more of the same)
    • Only implementing this after force quitting from matches 10 times seems reasonable - I have only ever had to force close the game during a match in progress myself twice since picking it up in May due to getting stuck in the drawer opening animation, and that has since been fixed (XBONE owners probably much more, since they are still sitting with an Alpha level product, but that's a separate issue on it's own)

• The spectator issue - Currently people leave after dying because they do not feel it's worth the wait for 500 experience points, and limited CP
    • My suggestion here is to increase the amount of experience earned for staying the full 20 minutes from 500 to 800 or 1000, add some value to helping people escape as Tommy (this can be easily implemented by adding a flat +200XP bonus for helping in any escape activity, such as repairing the phone box, calling the cops, assisting with car/boat repairs etc (someone will have to escape though, obviously) and lastly, double the amount of CP earned for staying the full duration of the match - Yes some might argue this is too much, but it gives more incentive to stay, especially when you end up dying in the 1st minute, and you don't return as Tommy
    • Adding the customization window to the spectator menu will help, and while it is a welcome addition, there is only so much you can customize

I feel that these changes can help bring in some overall quality of life changes to the current state of the game in terms of keeping the lobby full active, not robbing Jason of kill experience, encouraging players to stay for the match duration, and encouraging Tommy players to be more objective driven

Please feel free to give me your thoughts

• Like 1

I think once you die spectating should not be the only option, maybe a way to keep players interested would be being able to change game settings and character customization.

Or even with enough time and effort from the developers, a small sandbox game for deceased counselors to enjoy while they wait for the next game.

Because a struggling A.J failing to find the fuse that's right under her nose and the Buggzy who has been hiding in a closet since the game began is painful and incredibly boring to watch.

original.gif

• Like 2

I don't stick around after I die unless I like the lobby. They could increase it to 50,000xp for spectating and it wouldn't matter. After I hit level 31, XP became pointless, and perks haven't worked right on XB1 since the retro Jason patch, so even earning CP isn't worth the wait.

51 minutes ago, I Hate Spectate said:

Random ranting - Bla bla bla, look at me, I hate spectating :( 

The 30 second timer when you click "Leave Game" does not enforce any kind of penalty, you can leave if you wish after you die, but cannot do so instantly, at the cost of Jason's XP while he's initiating a grab kill, and also not right after death, mostly resulting in an uncontrolled Tommy Jarvis

If you die, you can leave without penalty, but you will need to wait for the 30 second timer, so go take a piss, make coffee etc

If you, however feel the need to quit the game at another player's expense and skip the timer just to deny Jason his Kill XP, or because you simply cannot wait 30 seconds, THEN the abandoner penalty kicks in.

@I Hate Spectate you know the rules well enough by now to know that behavior like that will not be tolerated. Ever. It is quite frankly disgusting to see.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:55 PM, Arcanecynic said:

Add a stacking abandoner penalty

• With every premature exit of the game via forced close (Only while in an active match), receive a stacking penalty that starts once the account has prematurely exited X amount of active games (Lets say 10 times for argument sake in lets say a 72 hour period) and the penalty can have increased lobby search times, or temporarily disable searching for quick matches for lets say 30 minutes, after which the penalty expires, but is re-initiated for every forced quit thereafter (They also receive a soft warning initially after the 3rd forced exit of a game in progress, explaining what would happen after more of the same)

Actually quoting myself here, but it seems like someone listened, and I got my wish :> 

@ Ihatespectate... :):):) - Time to pay for your instant-quits son :D 

Happy days.

pewe9cC.jpg

On 7/24/2017 at 1:05 PM, MidnightCallerXx said:

I think once you die spectating should not be the only option, maybe a way to keep players interested would be being able to change game settings and character customization.

Or even with enough time and effort from the developers, a small sandbox game for deceased counselors to enjoy while they wait for the next game.

Because a struggling A.J failing to find the fuse that's right under her nose and the Buggzy who has been hiding in a closet since the game began is painful and incredibly boring to watch.

original.gif

I wouldn't mind having it so you can practice the repair minigame while spectating, The first time playing it gives you a 10/10 repair game and every time you successfully complete the minigame it goes down 1 point until you're practicing with 1/10 repair, could even make it give you a small amount of bonus XP every time you complete it.

• Like 1