Soxette

When do you feel it's justified to leave as the host?

61 posts in this topic

I hate to leave as the host.  I've had to wait out whole games after dying first cause it's the right way to play, but there are exceptions.  I just played a game as the Host where Jason killed all but 2 pretty quickly.  There was half the time left and he was just walking around with the 2 counselors out for a Sunday stroll.  Obviously he had no intention of killing his friends.  I don't feel I should have to wait out almost 10 minutes for that.  I even spoke up and said I was going to leave, but that didn't change anything so I left.  I feel bad for the other people in the room, but that's ridiculous.  Why can't they just do a private match if they want to pull that crap?  Kind of stupid for them to pull that when one of them is not the host.   

1 person likes this

That's a tough one.  I'd poll the waiting lobby in a case like that and see how they feel about it.  

Hopefully this new patch will have a host migration 

I've actually waited out when this has happened before because of the other people, but it's happening way too often. 

when it's my last game of the night,  and I have to work the next day.  I'll leave if I'm liked in less than 5 min 

I believe that when you are host and it's time to stop playing for personal reasons, such as work, sleep, or other things, then that's enough justification to leave. If you are in the middle of a match, I would recommend waiting until it's over. Unless you really have to go. As people have said here, until Gun Media and Illfonic patch the game for host migration, there's not much else we can do.

Easy, when people are using exploits,being racist,or being dicks in general, it's time to end their fun by leaving the match. 

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Easy, when people are using exploits,being racist,or being dicks in general, it's time to end their fun by leaving the match. 

This.  I actually usually try NOT to host lobbies, since I don't want to worry about accidentally disconnecting, having to pick up a phone call and quit, or anything else to screw over other players.  But when I have, the moment I see Jason-teamers, rampant TK, glitches, exploits, etc. I quit on the spot. 

On PC the game continues until the match ends if the host leaves. Does the game end instantly if the host leaves on console?

8 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

On PC the game continues until the match ends if the host leaves. Does the game end instantly if the host leaves on console?

Sadly yes. 

25 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Yup

In the words of Ian Malcom, "When you gotta go, you gotta go".  I will usually tell the room I have to leave and that's that.  I don't like to just quit even when there's players I can't stand in the room.  Those few people aren't the consensus for the whole room.  As long as you let them know, there's nothing rude about it.

When I see people are working with Jason or glitching.

At any time they choose.

I hate it but without host migration it's part of the intended game. I think it's a pretty stupid oversight that needs correcting obviously.

my self-imposed rules:

don't leave in the middle of the round if I'm jason. 

don't host a lobby if i don't plan on playing for awhile. 

otherwise, i pretty much quit whenever I'm tired of playing. 

this is why I don't like to host, I can be inconsistent on how long I play for. Yesterday I had planned to play for a long time so I didn't mind Hosting and hosted a public lobby for almost 4 hours.  However, there was at least 2 guys who stuck with me in the lobby through most of it, but one of them just ever got to be Jason and I kept the lobby going long after I was done wanting to play just to give the guy a chance to play as Jason, and it never happened. Once he quit and the lobby was down to me and 3 others, I felt it was time to quit.  But I always inform the lobby if I am hosting that I'm quitting and its always after the match has completed.   

I think the biggest issue is if you quit mid game. After a game you can tell people you are leaving and give them a second to friend good players and dissolve it. No biggie

I only leave if I'm hosting if I have personal reasons or someone's being a jerk by glitching, Jason helpers, TKing (unless they are killing a TKer, glitcher, or Jason helper), or with their words.

I did it for the first time ever yesterday, mid-game.  I felt bad about it, but let me explain:

This guy (I'll call him Jerkwad) found me finishing the propeller on the boat (the gas was already in).  He ran up and spammed the X button to get in before I could recover from my "repair" animation.  No big deal, he wants to get credit for revving up the boat.  Well as soon as the engine is up, I guess he was spamming the trigger so that I couldn't even hit X to get in with him.  He speeds away all by himself and reaches safety.

I ended up escaping with the cops later anyway, but this really pissed me off.  There was literally no strategic advantage to hin leaving me behind, but he did it anyway.

Next match Jerkwad is Jason.  I spawn inside the phone house and he's there before I even know it.  I lead him on a goose chase for a while, hoping the guy will wise up and morph elsewhere rather than waste tons of time with me.  Instead he keeps chasing me for several minutes until he finally gets me.  Again, he employed poor strategy just to screw me over.  

If only one or the other had happened, I'd let it go.  It's not cheating, and I don't totally mind occasional dickish gameplay.  But both of these actions, back to back, pissed me off that I refused to let him get his XP for the match.

I feel bad that others didn't get to finish the match, and I probably would not do it again (nor had I ever done it before), but at the moment it felt good.

If any decent players happened to get booted, please accept my sincere apology.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, gtdjlocker311 said:

I did it for the first time ever yesterday, mid-game.  I felt bad about it, but let me explain:

This guy (I'll call him Jerkwad) found me finishing the propeller on the boat (the gas was already in).  He ran up and spammed the X button to get in before I could recover from my "repair" animation.  No big deal, he wants to get credit for revving up the boat.  Well as soon as the engine is up, I guess he was spamming the trigger so that I couldn't even hit X to get in with him.  He speeds away all by himself and reaches safety.

I ended up escaping with the cops later anyway, but this really pissed me off.  There was literally no strategic advantage to hin leaving me behind, but he did it anyway.

Next match Jerkwad is Jason.  I spawn inside the phone house and he's there before I even know it.  I lead him on a goose chase for a while, hoping the guy will wise up and morph elsewhere rather than waste tons of time with me.  Instead he keeps chasing me for several minutes until he finally gets me.  Again, he employed poor strategy just to screw me over.  

If only one or the other had happened, I'd let it go.  It's not cheating, and I don't totally mind occasional dickish gameplay.  But both of these actions, back to back, pissed me off that I refused to let him get his XP for the match.

I feel bad that others didn't get to finish the match, and I probably would not do it again (nor had I ever done it before), but at the moment it felt good.

If any decent players happened to get booted, please accept my sincere apology.

There's nothing wrong with tunneling you. Jason has no shift at the start, you can easily run away.

So it's ok for you to ruin everyone else's fun? This is why host migration needs to be a thing. People can't contain their own salt.

33 minutes ago, weirdkid5 said:

There's nothing wrong with tunneling you. Jason has no shift at the start, you can easily run away.

So it's ok for you to ruin everyone else's fun? This is why host migration needs to be a thing. People can't contain their own salt.

No, it's not ok, as I already acknowledged.  I legitimately felt bad about it; however, it was not just Jason tunneling me (and he did have shift when he got me by the way; he was on me for several minutes).  

It was about him totally screwing me as a counselor for no good reason the previous match and THEN spending all of his time after only me.  I still am not defending what I did, but trying to give you an idea of why I was so frustrated.

Not sure what "containing salt" means, but it sounds like some sort of insult of the moment, so I'll just ignore it.

EDIT: and I totally agree about host migration; I wouldn't have had to screw everybody else over if the developers put in a very basic feature that every online game should have.

@gtdjlocker311 I'd say that even though it felt good, leaving as host  wasn't warranted because you felt singled out. Not defending "Jerkwad's" playstyle but it sounds like he didn't do anything considered a bannable offense. If he were a glitcher or part of a Jason/helper combo, then yes, nothing wrong, imo, with denying him/them the exp for cheating... especially if you don't have recorded evidence to use against them in a report. If you did, then maybe see the match through, hoping your report will get them reprimanded. I know it sucks for everyone that's innocent in the lobby to lose out on the exp, too, so maybe take a vote of what those victims in spectate hell want you to do. But I wouldn't close the lobby just because I took personal offense to another person's valid but jerkish play-style. The OP's post seems a valid reason though. Just my thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Pjthines said:

@gtdjlocker311 I'd say that even though it felt good, leaving as host  wasn't warranted because you felt singled out. Not defending "Jerkwad's" playstyle but it sounds like he didn't do anything considered a bannable offense. If he were a glitcher or part of a Jason/helper combo, then yes, nothing wrong, imo, with denying him/them the exp for cheating... especially if you don't have recorded evidence to use against them in a report. If you did, then maybe see the match through, hoping your report will get them reprimanded. I know it sucks for everyone that's innocent in the lobby to lose out on the exp, too, so maybe take a vote of what those victims in spectate hell want you to do. But I wouldn't close the lobby just because I took personal offense to another person's valid but jerkish play-style. The OP's post seems a valid reason though. Just my thoughts.

Agreed.  Again, I am not attempting to excuse it.  Just venting my frustration and coming clean, kinda like an addict at an AA meeting.

However, I wouldn't be put in the situation if host migration was in like it should be.

2 people like this

If I am the host I only leave if someone is cheating by glitching or helping Jason and only after the round has ended.

I'm glad to see people on here know how to host. I'm real tired off these pussy hosts quitting when I kill them (or about to kill them when they're the last counselor). I swear I've never hated a gaming community more than this one.

2 people like this