Sign in to follow this  
RAGNAR0K N ROLL

Perks and counselors; play to strengths or compensate for weaknesses?

As I've gained perks over time the thought has occurred to me as to whether or not it is better to load out a counselor to buff an already strong stat or try to compensate for a weaker one. On one hand. I tend to be more  of a "play to your strengths" player depending on the stat but recently I've thought whether or not it might be better to reverse that course. At least with some of the stats.

On one had (if the perk is high enough mind you) trying to compensate can make them a better all-rounder. However if you have say Vanessa even buffing her stealth is  going to have minimal effect so it would be better to add more to her stamina even further so she can outrun Jason for a longer period. Another good example would be the high repair characters, they already have ridiculously low skill checks when repairing so buffing that stat would be a waste of a slot. Of course the best person to experiment with would be Kenny I guess since he is the Joe averae

I guess it really depends on how low the stat is, how good the perk is benefit to penalty wise, how you play, and what you expect to run into during the match more than anything else. What do you folks do?

• Like 2

A.J

+15% stamina regen. Gotta go fast.

+16% damage received. Let's me take a bear trap and keep running. This is really useful since if you're limping your as good as dead.

+10% overall fear reduction and no loss of minimap while scared. I like to know where i'm going especially if Jason is on my ass.

• Like 3

Once I get the "repair faster" perk at rare or epic level I'm putting that on Vanessa, Chad, and Jenny. Level 2 Repair will sometimes give you repair skill checks as low as 5 or even 4 checks. If you exit and re-enter the repair minigame over and over you can get new skill checks until you get an easier one. The Tinker perk will make those 3 characters closer to an all-rounded character.

I also think Marathon and Restful is good to put on anyone of 4 stamina or less to bring them closer to a 5.

Good thread topic, @RAGNAR0K N ROLL.

Personally I think any one with a default 6 or 7 in a category, can benefit from a buff in said category.  Now trying to buff the counselors with a rating of 2 or 3, is a waste of a slot IMO. The exception to this would be an epic perk, of course- especially with a 0% negative side effect. 

I do a little bit of both depending on the counselor.  For Eric & Deb, I use all the best fear perks to compensate for their low composure, and for Chad, Vanessa, and Tiffany- I compliment their speed with the perk that gives fast stamina regen.  Chad is already great with taking little damage from traps, so it only makes sense to give him the perk to get out of traps faster along with thick skinned.  When I use him, I purposely run over traps by the fuse and car to both clear the way and to "summon" Jason away from other players.  Haven't tried it myself, but I've read the perk to get out of Jason's grab quicker does not work- but I gave it to Adam since he's the best for breaking Jason's grab. So that's another buff to an already strong trait (or supposed to be any way, if the damn thing actually works). 

I often wonder this too. I use AJ with home body, level headed, and light foot. I always have a stealthy play style no matter what game I play thanks to Metal Gear Solid.

It's fun to try to figure out the best combos of perks you can put together. I mainly play as AJ & I used to run extra stealth load outs with Low Profile (probably best stealth perk), Level headed, & homebody...you really can't be detected..you'll probably be the last survivor unless you get out. 

I sold Homebody because I don't usually hide that long in buildings, don't believe it's that effective. Right now I'm having more fun trying to make my AJ a better fighter even if she's not very good at it. Sometimes I like getting a good bat stun on Jason more than escaping lol. You want some more?? XD

I have a common Slugger which starts you with a bat n more damage plus Heavy hitter rare which increases stun time. I like those 2 a lot n I'm trying to upgrade them to epic level which would be sick. 

Ive gone away from worrying about noise pings too much, I don't think it matters like ppl have said online. Jason finds you thru sense n fear not noise most of the time, that's just early in the round. I have an Epic Lightfoot but never use it, I like it but I'd rather use something else. 

What Epic perks are you guys rolling for? 

16 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

I'm hoping to get epic Fixer for Chad so he can go from being Battle Chad to All-Around Chad.

Joe is an awesome player to game with. I recommend playing with him if you really enjoy this game.:D  PS I am only able to get on at evenings/nights because I am at work, plus I have to take care of my son when I get home. Only get to play when he is asleep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manny1985 said:

Joe is an awesome player to game with. I recommend playing with her if you really enjoy this game.:D  PS I am only able to get on at evenings/nights because I am at work, plus I have to take care of my son when I get home. Only get to play when he is asleep.

Him. You recommend playing with him. :)

3 hours ago, RAGNAR0K N ROLL said:

As I've gained perks over time the thought has occurred to me as to whether or not it is better to load out a counselor to buff an already strong stat or try to compensate for a weaker one. On one hand. I tend to be more  of a "play to your strengths" player depending on the stat but recently I've thought whether or not it might be better to reverse that course. At least with some of the stats.

On one had (if the perk is high enough mind you) trying to compensate can make them a better all-rounder. However if you have say Vanessa even buffing her stealth is  going to have minimal effect so it would be better to add more to her stamina even further so she can outrun Jason for a longer period. Another good example would be the high repair characters, they already have ridiculously low skill checks when repairing so buffing that stat would be a waste of a slot. Of course the best person to experiment with would be Kenny I guess since he is the Joe averae

I guess it really depends on how low the stat is, how good the perk is benefit to penalty wise, how you play, and what you expect to run into during the match more than anything else. What do you folks do?

Additional stealth on AJ is actually good as it means she can sprint for about half her bar before generating a single (small) noise ring.

My perk isn't even epic, so you may even be able to totally silence it.

Interestingly enough, Tommy never generates sound rings when he sprints, and is a totally silent swimmer, so his stealth is way above the 10 listed.

My AJ has 19% sense avoidance, an additional 16% avoidance indoors, and something like 10-15% more stealth.

I basically turbo loot and repair while coordinating with the team who are kiting/frustrating Jason where to go, with an excellent chance of making him lose me should he find me. I often do repairs right under his nose.

1 hour ago, SnakeSound222 said:

AJ:

32% Fear Resistance 

23% Sense Avoidance

12% Stamina Regen

All have no negatives. 

32% fear resistance wow that's pretty epic, I'm looking for that Nightowl one too. I've sold lesser rare ones b4. 

I really want to keep all epics but I've had stupid luck selling dumb epics for better ones sometimes. 

5 minutes ago, Miss AJ said:

32% fear resistance wow that's pretty epic, I'm looking for that Nightowl one too. I've sold lesser rare ones b4. 

That's not epic. That's uncommon. Seriously. 

So what's the thought on fear resistance vs. sense avoidance? I used to lean toward avoidance, but the fact that most Jasons just spam sense (and thus re-roll the "chance" to sense every time) I'm starting to feel like fear resistance may be the way to go for the stealthier (and slower) repair characters. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SnakeSound222 said:

That's not epic. That's uncommon. Seriously. 

I got confused it's Nerves of steel not Nightowl that gives you fear resistance & I haven't seen it over 10% yet. 

12 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

So what's the thought on fear resistance vs. sense avoidance? I used to lean toward avoidance, but the fact that most Jasons just spam sense (and thus re-roll the "chance" to sense every time) I'm starting to feel like fear resistance may be the way to go for the stealthier (and slower) repair characters. 

I that is true but you need to factor in the cooldown, I still like to play by chance! Hey JOE!

30 minutes ago, Miss AJ said:

I got confused it's Nerves of steel not Nightowl that gives you fear resistance & I haven't seen it over 10% yet. 

Night Owl is darkness fear resistance. Close enough. I had a Nerves of Steel once, but it was like less than 5%. I wonder what the epic Night Owl will be. 70% Darkness Fear Resistance? 

Generally speaking (with this and other games), I feel like it makes the most sense to leverage strengths rather than try to plug weaknesses.

It tends to be very hard to boost most low stats in this game (with the exception of epic Marathon, which provides something like a +4 effective Stamina), and you're always sacrificing something really good to do it.

My goal is to get my Jenny (most played character) epic escape artist. I just want a fighting chance to get out of Jasons' grasp. 

18 minutes ago, Rydog said:

Generally speaking (with this and other games), I feel like it makes the most sense to leverage strengths rather than try to plug weaknesses.

It tends to be very hard to boost most low stats in this game (with the exception of epic Marathon, which provides something like a +4 effective Stamina), and you're always sacrificing something really good to do it.

I feel like this is true with all stats except for repair. You can already spam the check with as low as a 2 repair character and get a reasonable minigame. With perk help, someone like Chad or Jenny could, in theory, get to the point where a "good" minigame for them would only consist of 3 checks. Especially for Chad, this would make him a very well-rounded defender/repair/runner character, IMO.

Of course, the easier route with Chad is to run thick-skinned, marathon, and something like heavy hitter for maximum battle effectiveness.

19 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

I feel like this is true with all stats except for repair. You can already spam the check with as low as a 2 repair character and get a reasonable minigame. With perk help, someone like Chad or Jenny could, in theory, get to the point where a "good" minigame for them would only consist of 3 checks. Especially for Chad, this would make him a very well-rounded defender/repair/runner character, IMO.

Of course, the easier route with Chad is to run thick-skinned, marathon, and something like heavy hitter for maximum battle effectiveness.

Have you tested out Tinker to see how much it improves Repair? I only have a blue version of the perk right now, it'd be really interesting to know.

• Like 1

Just now, Rydog said:

Have you tested out Tinker to see how much it improves Repair? I only have a blue version of the perk right now, it'd be really interesting to know.

Not yet. I've only rolled it once and it was the grey version. It's #1 on my wish list for perks. As soon as I get any better version of it I'll post my findings.

8 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

Not yet. I've only rolled it once and it was the grey version. It's #1 on my wish list for perks. As soon as I get any better version of it I'll post my findings.

FYI, I overhauled the Repair section of my counselor analysis guide today, with average times for a successful Repair check, based on a two-minute endurance test for each Repair level. The differences are quite dramatic. It would be interesting to figure out how Tinker affects this.

• Like 1