Haven't seen this mentioned, folks on Steam are saying the thick-skinned perk has been "nerfed". (Yes, those are quotations... Gamer linger isn't my thing.)

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Haven't seen this mentioned, folks on Steam are saying the thick-skinned perk has been "nerfed". (Yes, those are quotations... Gamer linger isn't my thing.)

How was it "nerfed?" Was there a hot fix?

4 minutes ago, MyNameisJason said:

How was it "nerfed?" Was there a hot fix?

I'm unsure, seems to be affecting PC users from what I can tell. 

5 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I'm unsure, seems to be affecting PC users from what I can tell. 

I know my buddy was using thick-skinned  last night and I watched him take about 7 hits. He healed and took another beating.  This was one XboxOne btw. 

Well I can say on PS4 no update was out and the thick skin seems to be working. I don't have a great one but a good one lol So maybe there is a hot fix that might have messed with the PC one. Mmm Is there anything on twitter or a news articular telling us about the update?

All existing Thick Skinned perks were apparently nerfed. Mine went from 41% to 17% overnight. There is some testing going on right now to ascertain the impact.

The devs really need to issue patch or hotfix notes when things like this happen.

• Like 7

While I don't think stealth changes are good (and we don't know if this was intentional or not yet - which, again, if it was, this is why stealth changes are not good, in my opinion), I do, however, actually like the idea of drastically lowering the values on Thick Skinned. At their previous values, they are too much of a game changer, in my opinion. No counselor should require 7+ hits to be taken down by Jason.

1 minute ago, Nomadder said:

While I don't think stealth changes are good (and we don't know if this was intentional or not yet - which, again, if it was, this is why stealth changes are not good, in my opinion), I do, however, actually like the idea of drastically lowering the values on Thick Skinned. At their previous values, they are too much of a game changer, in my opinion. No counselor should require 7+ hits to be taken down by Jason.

It does give them a fighting chance. 

2 minutes ago, Nomadder said:

Seven is on the low side. Running epic thick skinned on Chad takes a minimum of 13 hits with every Jason except Part 3, who has the weapon strength bonus.

12 minutes ago, Nomadder said:

Thick skin is specifically bugged against melee strikes. It was never overperforming, it was just bugged and applied way more dmg reduction than 50%.

It does look like it was nerfed. My Rare Thick Skinned dropped from 38% to 16%.

5 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

Any perk that is a must-have is probably over-powered and needs a nerf.

Generally speaking, anytime something that is posed as an optional choice in a game is seen as an "always take this" thing, it's best to just roll it into the character's standard functionality (or completely rework it), because it is a false choice. See the talent trees from the early days of World of Warcraft for some good examples (such as the Hawk Eye talent from the hunter's Survival tree).

1 minute ago, Shadesofjoe said:

Confirmed on PS4. My rare Thick Skinned dropped from 39% to 15%.

Wait? Was there an update or was this in game change? 

Just now, Rydog said:

Generally speaking, anytime something that is posed as an optional choice in a game is seen as an "always take this" thing, it's best to just roll it into the character's standard functionality, because it is a false choice. See the talent trees from the early days of World of Warcraft for some good examples (such as the Hawk Eye talent from the hunter's Survival tree).

True, if it is seen as beneficial to the game. In this case, I think it conflicted with the devs intentions. (Of course, we don't know that since they haven't actually spoken about it.)

2 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

Looks like some kind of hotfix. 

Mmm wouldn't it have to be put through a cert? Now I'm confused lol 

Just now, Ghostboy20 said:

It could be just as simple as changing a database value. That's not a game client issue and can be done from the backend, I believe.

• Like 1

Yup, can confirm (PC). But it seems to be that they can make those changes independently from the client so nothing had to be updated clientside. Interesting.

Just now, Ghostboy20 said:

I wonder if perks exist on some kind of server-side DB that they can just tweak as they see fit. That would eliminate the need for client patches, and would explain why it's happening this way cross-platform.

1 minute ago, Shadesofjoe said:

It could be just as simple as changing a database value. That's not a game client issue and can be done from the backend, I believe.

That might be it. 

Just now, Rydog said:

I wonder if perks exist on some kind of server-side DB that they can just tweak as they see fit. That would eliminate the need for client patches, and would explain why it's happening this way cross-platform.

That's what I'm wondering. If that's the case then Xbox had the change as well. So if anyone is on Xbox they need to check this out.

2 minutes ago, Rydog said:

That seems indeed to be the case. On Steam, no files were updated so it's definitely a serverside/backend thing.

Maybe we'll get a patch on PC soon too.

1 minute ago, Rydog said:

In theory, keeping all these values on the server side is a big piece of cross-platform play, should Gun/Illfonic ever get their feet underneath them well enough to implement it. They talked about that being an eventual goal for a long time, so it makes sense that they would keep as much of the game's important data as they can on serverside databases rather than hard-bake them into the game client.