Nubcakes

Why Does Everyone Say Savini Is Overpowered?

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

You're reaching a false positive here.

Almost nobody has played him, because almost nobody has him. On paper, which we're looking at, he's unambiguously the best. There's no jealousy, just an objective look at his abilities.

Unless he has hidden weaknesses or broken stats, then he will be the best.

I main Part 9, and almost always leave no survivors. In terms of relevant stats, Savini essentially trades a worse Stalk and Stun, for 2 more traps, 3 hit destruction, longer reach, and more damage. If you added that to Part 9, I'd definitely never leave anyone alive. That's my baseline.

Stalk and stun are good, but middle tier perks. I'd be changing two average abilites for 3 great ones, and one average one (reach).

Meh, idk about that. I'm not sure what system you're on, but I've seen a number of SJ's on Xbox. I'm sure there are lots of things that look good on paper, but in reality don't always turn out to be the case. I based my comments solely on my experience playing as SJ, and against him. It's interesting you mention Part 9 is your main. In the past week, on two separate occasions, I've had the hosts call me every name in the book, and tell me they were kicking me at the end of the round because I killed them with Part 9. :D 

I have Savini... and I will say that when I use him (I go through, 7, 8 and sometime 9 too quite a bit), a strong wind can seem to stun him! lol... I don't get stunned as often or as long it seems as 8 for instance as I do Savini. I'll even sometimes think there is a glitch and my game is frozen he's stuck in that head turned, stun animation so long! lol... but then he starts moving his lumbering ass along again and all is right in Crystal Lake! I actually do just as well if not better with 8 and even 9 then Savini. With 9 I have to be more cautious of the traps I set, but still do really well with him. With all the Jason's I use, sometimes I get only 4-5 depending on how good the counselors are. A lot of times I get just about everyone if not all, no matter which I run.

While I think a lot are butthurt, there's a lot like myself that fall into the "couldn't care less, but here's an evaluation of his stats since you asked".

I don't see him often enough to care (1% of matches, tops) but would be pissed off if a regular character had the same stats, as it'd ruin Jason variety.

Personally, I think he should have just been a skin. Likely for 6, as he's the only other one with a long weapon.

People are generally fine with cosmetic exclusivity, but not stat exclusivity. It's weird that a developer doesn't understand that in 2017.

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

People are generally fine with cosmetic exclusivity, but not stat exclusivity. It's weird that a developer doesn't understand that in 2017.

I thought this was weird myself. The only plausible solution I see is to have a new Jason as paid DLC with the same stats as Savini.

Just keep the skin, weapon, and music exclusive to backers. 

And fucking add in a weapon swap. It's total bullshit how Savini has 3 exclusive kills. That much i'll admit.

I own Savini Jason and in many cases, part 6 is better. I play as Savini jason for the destruction ability without Sense being hampered )Part 8 gets destruction but sense is down). Heck, one match, I got to be jason, I placed a beartrap by the  phone box. I then went over to the powerbox closest to the blue car and head my beartrap go off. Well I had no choice but to get over to the phone ASAP only to find three counselors waiting for me, ready for combat. Flares, bats, you name it. In the time it took me to shake off a flare to the face and disable the phone box (which was repaired in the time it took me to get there, mind you) I heard the blue car start up.

So now I can either guard the phone or hunt the people in the car. I chose to hamper the car for a moment, and sure enough, I quickly heard the phonecall to the police. I raced back to the phone and, on the road, I shifted and got ahold of one guy which I killed, but then there was still the car. I morphed over to the car and stopped it, grabbed a guy, and was promptly shot in the face because one of the guys had a shotgun (got a double betrayal while he was at it, mind you). Due to the map being crystal lake, once hey reached the main road (picking up the remaining two counselors on the map) they got out with me having only one kill to my name. It wasn't that I was doing anything wrong, just that I was completely outclassed.

On another note, during a higgins haven match, I managed to kill everyone + tommy with savini jason by using stalk a lot, which drains INCREDIBLY SLOWLY when you're standing still. Stalking and then shifting briefly to make them think you morphed away is a great strategy, but Part 9 can do it better.

TL:DR: They are salty they don't own him. His abilities are no different from the other jasons and the combination of abilities don't break him.

3 minutes ago, Daneasaur said:

TL:DR: They are salty they don't own him. His abilities are no different from the other jasons and the combination of abilities don't break him.

It has nothing to do with not owning him for most rational people. I do just fine with Part 6, Part 8, and even Part 3. But if you're asking me which Jason is the best on paper, it's Savini hands down. 

I've never seen him in a game (watch now I will see him several times in rapid succession ;)) But on paper the three weaknesses are from personal experience and overall personal play style hardly impactful. I  don't worry much with the water because the number of times anyone has successfully used the boat to escape in the first place is minimal at best. It's barely a thought in people's minds even though part wise its the easiest  of the 3 to repair even though that prop likes to hide out in some bizarre places. People beeline for the cars and the fuse in my experience. So yeah entering the water is an afterthought to me.

Same with grip strength; that only really seems to matter if going for environmental kills and pocket knives seem to be prevalent enough that even if your grip was infinite; they'd still wriggle out by stabbing you in the neck.  Go grip them and kill them with one of your 4 kills and be on down the road. Faster regeneration on shift somewhat negates the lack of ability to run rather well.

Take my opinion for what its worth; I'll never get to find out how he actually plays but  given my personal experience with the game thus far; the three weaknesses listed are at best minor inconveniences that may come up occasionally in your match.

11 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

It has nothing to do with not owning him for most rational people. I do just fine with Part 6, Part 8, and even Part 3. But if you're asking me which Jason is the best on paper, it's Savini hands down. 

9 minutes ago, RAGNAR0K N ROLL said:

I've never seen him in a game (watch now I will see him several times in rapid succession ;)) But on paper the three weaknesses are from personal experience and overall personal play style hardly impactful. I  don't worry much with the water because the number of times anyone has successfully used the boat to escape in the first place is minimal at best. It's barely a thought in people's minds even though part wise its the easiest  of the 3 to repair even though that prop likes to hide out in some bizarre places. People beeline for the cars and the fuse in my experience. So yeah entering the water is an afterthought to me.

Same with grip strength; that only really seems to matter if going for environmental kills and pocket knives seem to be prevalent enough that even if your grip was infinite; they'd still wriggle out by stabbing you in the neck.  Go grip them and kill them with one of your 4 kills and be on down the road. Faster regeneration on shift somewhat negates the lack of ability to run rather well.

Take my opinion for what its worth; I'll never get to find out how he actually plays but  given my personal experience with the game thus far; the three weaknesses listed are at best minor inconveniences that may come up occasionally in your match.

While the on-paper aspect of his downside abilities seem trivial, keep in mind that his parks aren't all that incredible. I'd be using part 8 more if his sense wasn't so low (making many times that characters with ANY sense evasion just vanish). I honestly stopped using Savini for a while and used part 6 due to his pocket knives and his sense enhancement. Sure he doesn't destroy as fast, but that became the juggle.

I also got less concerned with "just winning". I wanted to kill people on the environment and you need good grip strength for that. Due to that, I started playing as Part 7 more. One situation was particularly hilarious as I grabbed the fat nerd and he wiggled free as I was going to take him into the toilet of the upper floor of higgins haven. When he wriggled free, he hid in the bathroom and locked the door. I stood there a moment and then activated stalk, just standing there outside the door, since he'd have to come back out eventually. He did and I grabbed him for the swirly.

Currently, I'm using Savini jason because I like to know if I'm jason when the intro starts and I was tired of seeing Part 7 doing the intro and then spawn in as a counselor, though truthful, I've been juggling which jason I play as.

Hey everyone, OP here...

First of all thank you for all the replies, you've all collectively clarified a lot of my suspicions and concerns about Savini Jason. 

A quick recap of what we have decided to far:

*Savini Jason grip strength doesn't matter much because he can just environmental kill if he doesn't get knifed.

*Savini Jason destruction is more desirable than rage busting a door down to avoid being vulnerable during the animation for a stun.

*Savini Jason appears to be stunned for longer periods of time than the average Jason (I've seen nothing official, but I can attest that this is true.)

*Savini Jason weapon strength buff isn't working (I have seen nothing official on this either, but I don't personally notice any difference in my ability to weapon kill someone.)

*Savini Jason stat exclusivity is undesirable. I can see where the issue may lie with this.

*Savini Jason doesn't unbalance the game even if he is overpowered because of his rarity. I guess that logic works. 

*Savini Jason skills become available to him faster than other Jasons (This has not been officially confirmed and I'm the most suspicious of this, however a few people have said it.)

*Savini Jason swim speed ability doesn't matter too much because you only enter water half of games and can just morph/stalk the boat exit. I can see value in that except for if your morph is on cooldown because you just used it to get to the boat. 

Great feedback once again, please be sure to let me know if any of these are false statements, but these are the key points I've taken from the response posts.

Thanks,

-Nubcakes-

on paper he looks pretty bad so unless he has secret abilities then id say hes fine 

3 minutes ago, Nubcakes said:

Hey everyone, OP here...

First of all thank you for all the replies, you've all collectively clarified a lot of my suspicions and concerns about Savini Jason. 

A quick recap of what we have decided to far:

*Savini Jason grip strength doesn't matter much because he can just environmental kill if he doesn't get knifed.

*Savini Jason destruction is more desirable than rage busting a door down to avoid being vulnerable during the animation for a stun.

*Savini Jason appears to be stunned for longer periods of time than the average Jason (I've see nothing official, but I can attest that this is true.)

*Savini Jason weapon strength buff isn't working (I have seen nothing official on this either, but I don't personally notice any difference in my ability to weapon kill someone.)

*Savini Jason stat exclusivity is undesirable. I can see where the issue may lie with this.

*Savini Jason doesn't unbalance the game even if he is overpowered because of his rarity. I guess that logic works. 

*Savini Jason skills become available to him faster than other Jasons (This has not been officially confirmed and I'm the most suspicious of this, however a few people have said it.)

*Savini Jason swim speed ability doesn't matter too much because you only enter water half of games and can just morph/stalk the boat exit. I can see value in that except for if your morph is on cooldown because you just used it to get to the boat. 

Great feedback once again, please be sure to let me know if any of these are false statements, but these are the key points I've taken from the response posts.

Thanks,

-Nubcakes-

most of this is speculation without data, so who cares. 

On paper he looks bad?

The only kind of person who would say this someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

He has +s in 3/4 of the best abilities, and none of his listed downsides matter.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

6 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

On paper he looks bad?

The only kind of person who would say this someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

He has +s in 3/4 of the best abilities, and none of his listed downsides matter.

Zoo, he might have been looking for a rise from you lol. He sounded pretty troll.

11 hours ago, Rydog said:

Savini's strengths are all the most powerful strengths in the game, and his weaknesses barely qualify as such (-Grip Strength is totally irrelevant, Can't Run is more "Jason's default state" than "weakness," and -Water Speed is a huge edge case). You're also forgetting his fourth hidden strength, increased weapon range, which is huge (only Jason Part 6 shares this advantage). No other Jason has a collection of traits that add up to anything nearly this strong.

This post pretty much sums up why Savini Jason is OBJECTIVELY the best Jason based on current game mechanics.

Rydog does research and knows his shit for sure.

All of the things he states as far as his empirical data and statistics go is pretty spott on and have been collaboratively agreed upon by many other theorists and testers - people who TEST things with video evidence instead of "I had a match once..." anecdotal evidence. 

Now, you can have an opinion on whether or not water speed is effective or not (its almost negated as a strength or weakness in matches without a boat - which is often). I agree when it's a water speed Jason he has a huge advantage in the water. But again - its an edge case.

One of the biggest things imo that couples with the weapon strength is the hidden "weapon length". It gives him the bonus of j6 and j3 in one. It's real deadlybecause the length allows him to hit over furniture and through Windows from farther.

5 minutes ago, Scoundrella said:

This post pretty much sums up why Savini Jason is OBJECTIVELY the best Jason based on current game mechanics.

Rydog does research and knows his shit for sure.

All of the things he states as far as his empirical data and statistics go is pretty spott on and have been collaboratively agreed upon by many other theorists and testers - people who TEST things with video evidence instead of "I had a match once..." anecdotal evidence. 

Now, you can have an opinion on whether or not water speed is effective or not (its almost negated as a strength or weakness in matches without a boat - which is often). I agree when it's a water speed Jason he has a huge advantage in the water. But again - its an edge case.

One of the biggest things imo that couples with the weapon strength is the hidden "weapon length". It gives him the bonus of j6 and j3 in one. It's real deadlybecause the length allows him to hit over furniture and through Windows from farther.

I did not consider weapon length. Interesting. It does sound a bit like an edge, because you could easily throwing knife someone over furniture, but I'll have to pay more attention to that next time. The weapon range was never super obvious to me.

Just now, Nubcakes said:

I did not consider weapon length. Interesting. It does sound a bit like an edge, because you could easily throwing knife someone over furniture, but I'll have to pay more attention to that next time. The weapon range was never super obvious to me.

You can throw knives but they rrun out.

The pitchfork is forever ;)

1 minute ago, Nubcakes said:

Weapon range is crap if your inside a house and the couch keeps taking the hit and not the person your chasing. Had a match last night where I tried to hit them and kept hitting the dang couch! I hate it but eh it's something I have to deal with 

The combination of shift strength plus destruction is the best in the game IMO

2 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

On paper he looks bad?

Glad to see that you and I have some common ground here. :)

Savini Jason is definitely the strongest in terms of his ability distribution. Even with his +Weapon Strength not working at the moment (which I can definitively confirm), he's still head-and-shoulders above other Jasons.

Just now, Rydog said:

Glad to see that you and I have some common ground here. :)

Savini Jason is definitely the strongest in terms of his ability distribution. Even with his +Weapon Strength not working at the moment (which I can definitively confirm), he's still head-and-shoulders above other Jasons.

I'd still make a pretty strong argument for Part 9 though, like damn. Maybe it takes 6 hits to break down a door but that's the only bad thing I can see about him lol

4 hours ago, Nubcakes said:

4 hours ago, Motoko said:

most of this is speculation without data, so who cares. 

Part 6, 5 hit kill: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157998981

Savini Jason, 5 hit kill: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157998752

Weapon Strength doesn't work. No thick skinned was used.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

And he carried a damn machete, not an axe!! Despite what the cover art would have you believe

You just maybe never encountered him with his ax, lol:

IMG_0371.PNG

1 minute ago, Pjthines said:

IMG_0371.PNG

That's an axe? Thought that was a razor. 

Just now, Pjthines said:

IMG_0371.PNG

Ahhhh! If I did, I didn't remember it. Cool screenshot, thanks! ? All I remember is him with the machete. That and the fact that the rocks suck, moving around on the map could get confusing, and trying to figure out why there were bats, spiders, zombies, and a medusa-like Mommy's head floating around in a secret room in a non-descript cave! I did beat the game back in the day, but it took forever! I haven't played it since probably 1992-1993.