Jump to content
Nubcakes

Do Some People Hide Parts On The Map?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone. 

 

I've had a couple games in the last few days where every house was thoroughly checked and items like gas, battery, keys, or propeller were not anywhere to be found. 

 

Has anyone had experience with trolls possibly hiding these on the map so that people cannot find and use them? It's an interesting dynamic to the game but these parts could simply just be hiding in plain sight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nubcakes said:

Hey everyone. 

 

I've had a couple games in the last few days where every house was thoroughly checked and items like gas, battery, keys, or propeller were not anywhere to be found. 

 

Has anyone had experience with trolls possibly hiding these on the map so that people cannot find and use them? It's an interesting dynamic to the game but these parts could simply just be hiding in plain sight. 

I suspect this most DEFINITELY happens sometimes, and there's no way to know it.

More likely thing is that some guy finds the fuse, never talks on mic, dies in the woods, and then it's effectively lost forever. I wonder how many games I've lost because of that exact scenario. I wish dropped parts showed on the map for everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be... but a lot of times it's either being overlooked, or a good probability someone died with it... at that point. If you ever come across a dead body not named Rob, check it! ;)

Besides, how many times have you or someone tried picking up the red suitcase shaped gas can! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've had a few games where I've died and would see some players taking key items into the middle of no where and hiding them there. It's only happen a few times in some of the games I've been in.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hide items where people can't find them, but I will say I've been guilty in public matches sometimes of carrying the gas to the boat and dropping it off to the side somewhere in a somewhat inconspicuous spot while I go look for the propeller. It's not that I want to screw up the objective, but I do want to ensure that someone doesn't leave in the boat that I brought the gas to without letting me get a ride. I think that's a reasonable precaution in public lobbies where TKing is a legitimate possibility.

Obviously car parts go next to the car. It's just a dick move to hide those.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

I don't hide items where people can't find them, but I will say I've been guilty in public matches sometimes of carrying the gas to the boat and dropping it off to the side somewhere in a somewhat inconspicuous spot while I go look for the propeller. It's not that I want to screw up the objective, but I do want to ensure that someone doesn't leave in the boat that I brought the gas to without letting me get a ride. I think that's a reasonable precaution in public lobbies where TKing is a legitimate possibility.

Obviously car parts go next to the car. It's just a dick move to hide those.

 

Yeah that's fair. Watch out for that Chad with a shotgun that decides to shoot you before the boat takes off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always leave the propeller or gas near the boat then look for the other part. Common sense really. You dont really want other counselors to know it's 1 part away from being fixed because they will fuck you over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypothetically speaking, if the Jason player was clearly a total noob while the seven counselors were clearly experienced and ruthless, one might decide that dropping the phone fuse in the middle of the lake before going back to trying to fix cars or otherwise survive the night was a fair way of evening the odds and making the game more fun overall.

 

Just hypothetically of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nubcakes said:

Has anyone had experience with trolls possibly hiding these on the map so that people cannot find and use them? It's an interesting dynamic to the game but these parts could simply just be hiding in plain sight.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. I'm spectating, and see someone intentionally hiding stuff just to be a dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fair Play said:

I've seen it happen a couple of times. I'm spectating, and see someone intentionally hiding stuff just to be a dick.

That’s Chad for you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a number of explanations, and I've seen them all happen.

1) People loot, get caught, panic, run into the woods, and die dropping everything in the middle of nowhere. 9/10 times it's this. A lot of new players don't know the objective locations and don't know how to drop parts, so this happens to them often. Remember, corpses can ragdoll, or be thrown through windows, so their items may not be on the corpse, as they're always at the death site.

Typically you react in fear at death sites, NOT corpses. Same with the camera pan. Focus your attention there, not the body.

2) People escape in one car, carrying on them parts for the other (yes, people are that inconsiderate) that then wash up on the beach. Drowning has the same effect. Sometimes they drop them by the exit, at a crossroads, or before they took off, in the slim hope someone finds them.

It can happen innocently too. Ever carry gas to the car, only to see someone has brought the boat gas from the other side of the map seconds before you? Now Jason arrives as they make a mistake. Do you drop the gas and escape in the 4-seater with everyone, or try to deliver the boat gas on foot and almost certainly die in vain now Jason knows you have it for a problem someone else created?

3) People get attached to what they're carrying (MY battery!) but are too cowardly/incompetent to go to the objective, so they hide with it or wander aimlessly all game carrying it. They'd rather nobody escape than give it someone else and chance being left behind. They then die in a random area.

4) People stash parts so they can fix the vehicle all in one go, which stops people say just finding the keys then jacking the 4-seater solo. Then they die and the info is lost. I do this, but only with teammates who know where they're stashed in case I die, and are equally commited to picking up passengers. Others do it just to guarantee their seat.

5) People drop them/not collect them in irretreviable areas. Packanack and Higgins Haven have areas where if you lock the door then bail via a window, you can't get back in. And yes, parts can spawn there.

Higgins has the rooms in the lodge, and Packanack has the upper lodge rooms, kitchen, and one or two nearby cabins (I forget exactly how many).

6) People help Jason or just troll to be assholes. I've seen it happen. When the roof glitch was a thing, they'd take parts up there all the time. People can abandon them in the woods, or lock them in a room, or just hide under a bed while holding.

7) People are forced to swap a part for a weapon, then die elsewhere, meaning it ends up on a shelf in a looted cabin you never recheck, or at least that specific area in the cabin. For example, I never check the stables in the barn as no parts ever spawn there. Weapons do though, and someone may have done an emergency swap, but there's no corpse to raise suspicion.

Keys are fuses can be lost this way too. New players/idiots/cowards/inattentive people may swap them for a pocket knife in a random drawer in an otherwise fully looted house. I've done this once with the fuse when I meant to swap a health spray. 5 minutes later when I found the box, I had no idea where I'd left it.

8) There's a spawn unknown to you that you haven't checked. Many people for example are unaware of the pantry shelf spawn in Packanack. Or that parts can appear in bathrooms. Or that multiple parts can be in the same house if both vehicle spawns are close. Some single green drawers are easily missed too. Again, some people forget bathrooms can have drawers and never bother looking.

9) Keys and fuses can sink through the level when their holder dies. Rare, but happens. Don't think it can happen for carried parts though.

10) With the fuse - it's actually in the fusebox, but has been broken by Jason before the call was made. A few times I've seen the red flash and assumed I need to look for the fuse, only to discover it's already in - it just needs re-fixing.

11) They have bad repair and left all the parts by the objective. As it doesn't show up on the status screen, and nobody finds another part, nobody goes back to check.

12) Half-looted cabins. This is the second most common IMO. Some people, either due to being lazy or interrupted, only half or 95% loot a cabin. Other people assume it's been picked clean, and only pop their heads in one room, but I have found keys in the one unopened drawer left before. I always quickly double check randomer looted cabins for this reason.

Some are shortsighted and selfish and don't want to swap a weapon (shotgun especially) for a part, but will open all the drawers regardless. Or even you've just had a blank moment and walked past it yourself. It happens to the best of us. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

9) Keys and fuses can sink through the level when their holder dies. Rare, but happens. Don't think it can happen for carried parts though.

All good points, but this one isn't rare in my experience. I've had it happen many times where I am unable to pick up the item, fuse especially. 

Other than that I've also had the Packanack cabins situation happen to me, before I knew better. Once you jump out the window, it's bye-bye items. Fair enough if it's accidental, but I can imagine some assholes doing this, though it's hard to know for sure.

Most of this stuff happens in non-mic lobbies or at least where the majority don't have mic. Lack of communication causes parts to just get lost.

EDIT: totally off-topic but we have same avatar and almost same post/like count. Are you my doppelgänger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

All good points, but this one isn't rare in my experience. I've had it happen many times where I am unable to pick up the item, fuse especially. 

Other than that I've also had the Packanack cabins situation happen to me, before I knew better. Once you jump out the window, it's bye-bye items. Fair enough if it's accidental, but I can imagine some assholes doing this, though it's hard to know for sure.

Most of this stuff happens in non-mic lobbies or at least where the majority don't have mic. Lack of communication causes parts to just get lost.

I've actually seen a TKer steal the fuel then lock themselves and it in a Packanack cabin, so nobody could escape in the car or get retribution on them. Going into a closet has the same effect.

We once had a TKer seriously injured in the Higgins lodge, and they locked themselves in a downstairs room, so we put a bear trap outside the window, which they fell into and died when the police arrived. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I've actually seen a TKer steal the fuel then lock themselves and it in a Packanack cabin, so nobody could escape in the car or get retribution on them. Going into a closet has the same effect.

We once had a TKer seriously injured in the Higgins lodge, and they locked themselves in a downstairs room, so we put a bear trap outside the window, which they fell into and died when the police arrived. :D

That's actually awesome you guys trapped the TKer like that. I would do it despite the betrayal penalty too, it's too satisfying not to. 

The last match I was in where we had a TKer on the loose, we let Jason know immediately and then proceeded to block off the exits of the room he was in. Jason promptly grabbed him and then gave him a nice drowning in the toilet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately, at least in public matches, I had people run into the cabin, leaving the door open, randomly check two or three drawers, jump out of the window and run away. I can't count how many times has that happened... usualy Vanessas or Bugzzys. When I die and specate these players, they are acting erraticaly and do completely random bullshit... like picking everything, dropping it at random places etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Survival said:

Lately, at least in public matches, I had people run into the cabin, leaving the door open, randomly check two or three drawers, jump out of the window and run away. I can't count how many times has that happened... usualy Vanessas or Bugzzys. When I die and specate these players, they are acting erraticaly and do completely random bullshit... like picking everything, dropping it at random places etc.

We have a theory that the game secretly includes bots, and these 'people' are just bad AI.

I mean, I know in reality they're just fucking morons, but how damning is it when your play is indistinguishable from a badly coded bot?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played one where a guy deliberately hid the car's gas in the middle of the woods, and when someone picked it up, he told Jason (they were in an Xbox party together). Last night I suspected some of the people I was playing with were doing that. In one game they complained about not getting seats in the boat or car, so I think they hid parts so they could guarantee their seat, because I checked all over Packanack map and found nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran into a game earlier where someone was helping Jason by hiding the car parts. I watched them from a distance. After they dropped the battery in the middle of nowhere and ran off, I took the battery to the 4-seater. It was already gassed up, and someone had the keys. We put the battery in, hopped in and took off. The pair rage quit once they figured out what was going on.

To answer the OP's question, yes people are still hiding stuff on the map.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well the scenario described would be a pretty shitty thing to do. Like most have stated I usually drop parts near objectives. If I am trying to repair the fuse box and Jason appears I drop the fuse on the ground next to the box in case I die so it does not wind up somewhere in the wild. 

A lot of times what I think happens is people find an escape route and go with it not thinking that they have other objective parts on them such as car keys, fuse ect. It kind of screws over the rest left behind. I have inadvertently been guilty of this but most times I try to drop the items somewhere in the clear where people can see them. It could be argued it's messed up but at least you have a chance of finding them. If I leave with them well than I just gave you a death sentence with a small chance of survival. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JPops said:

well the scenario described would be a pretty shitty thing to do. Like most have stated I usually drop parts near objectives. If I am trying to repair the fuse box and Jason appears I drop the fuse on the ground next to the box in case I die so it does not wind up somewhere in the wild. 

A lot of times what I think happens is people find an escape route and go with it not thinking that they have other objective parts on them such as car keys, fuse ect. It kind of screws over the rest left behind. I have inadvertently been guilty of this but most times I try to drop the items somewhere in the clear where people can see them. It could be argued it's messed up but at least you have a chance of finding them. If I leave with them well than I just gave you a death sentence with a small chance of survival.

If you drop them out in the open in plain sight, that's not so bad. I've picked up a pair of keys like that once or twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2017 at 9:56 PM, ZooMalfunction said:

When the roof glitch was a thing

Sadly, for some us, it still is. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get is people who take parts from near objectives.

I've had matches where I found the keys, dropped them near the car, found gas/battery, go to put it in, and the keys are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...