Rexfellis

How would you rank the Halloween movies?

Let me preface by saying that I don't find any of these movies unwatchable, I just like some entries more than others. Here are my picks and a few observations on each. Of course, there will be SPOILERS below:

10. Halloween II (2009)- Very weird and surreal with striking visuals. I think I can see what Zombie was trying to do here, but, it just didn't translate well to film. I think maybe he should either hone his storytelling skills a bit more, or stick to music. I really like his music. Seriously though, the man has an amazing eye when it comes to cinematography. I just think all of his characters are one-dimensional.  I do have to give him props for the brutality of the film, Annie's death was hard to take, even though most of it was off-screen. (Great job by Ms. Harris again.) (2/10)

9. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)- Not a bad idea, just really poor execution. At least they attempted to have a story even they didn't pull it off very well. I didn't hate Busta Rhymes' performance, that fight with Michael made me laugh. I just don't think this installment was necessary. I have to say that at least it was somewhat entertaining. (3/10)

8.  Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)- First of all... Hey you dumbass filmmakers!! You give Danielle Harris the modest $5000 she asked for to appear in the film. No matter how small of a part she has. She did so well in 4 & 5 that I believed she deserved to play Jamie again. Secondly, I think they took the "Cult of Thorn" thing a little too far. It was just hokey bullshit IMO. And lastly, Michael impregnated his sister? Really? Fuck off with that. Whoever thought of that little tidbit should be fired from the writer's guild. (3/10)

7. Halloween III: The Season of the Witch (1982)- I hated, hated, HATED this movie when it came out in theaters. I was really young, but I was already a die hard Halloween fan.(Actually just a horror movie fan in general.) I wanted to see Michael Myers dammit!! I gave this movie another chance in the early '90s, and it has grown on me since. Forget the Halloween name, and this is a creepy, atmospheric, down-right scary film. Couldn't believe they had the balls to kill that poor, ugly little kid! haha Unfortunately, I still can't hear the tune to "London Bridge Is Falling Down" to this day without hearing that damn jingle in my head! (3.5/10)

6. Halloween (2007)- Hated the backstory: A white-trash, dysfunctional, foul-mouthed "family" raises a serial killer. Pretty damned cliche'. I liked it better when we didn't know why Michael went bat-shit crazy, he just was. And, while I like Tyler Mane, I don't think Sabretooth was the correct casting choice for this role.  A graphic, brutal film once the killing got started, and it did stay somewhat faithful to the source material. I am glad Zombie is not associated with the upcoming Halloween movie, and I hope the new filmmakers treat the originals with more respect. (4/10)

5. Halloween: H2O (1998)- Jami Lee wanted to do this film with Carpenter, but he declined. Completely ignoring the canon of 4-6 was a let-down for me, despite the fact that I didn't care much for the "Thorn" supernatural aspects of 5 and 6. Seeing Vivian and Jamie-Lee on screen together was cool. And Vivian had the Psycho car and background music. Very nice. I honestly thought the finale of this one was the perfect way to end this story. But, the almighty dollar deemed otherwise. (5/10)

4. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)- Went a little too far into the supernatural for a Michael Myers film in my opinion, but, Hollywood doesn't give me millions of dollars to make films. Again, I loved Danielle Harris' acting in this. For her age, she had quite a range. Tina's boyfriend Mikey was a straight up, late '80s, wannabe badboy dickhead. I actually cheered in the theater when he died. Tina was annoying, but she redeemed herself in the end. It was pretty fun, fairly fast paced, and the kills were entertaining. A little too "slapstick" for me personally. (5/10)

3. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)- I was really anticipating this film after I first heard about it being in production. Me and a few friends went to see it.  We cheered when Michael first appeared onscreen. We all loved the movie: Plot moved along nicely, Michael was very menacing, most of the characters were fairly well fleshed out for a horror flick and likable. The rednecks were done pretty well as tragic comic relief. (You shoulda came out from behind that bush little Teddy Hollister!) The kills were inventive and pretty awesome for the time except for Sundae. Stop killing dogs Michael, you bastard! As I have stated above, Jamie was portrayed very well by Danielle Harris, especially for her age. All in all, a very good movie, and one that I have enjoyed watching many times. (7/10)

2. Halloween II (1981)- A great continuation of the original film. I loved the claustrophobic feel of the hospital and Michael just seemed a little more pissed off in this one. And, the gore factor went up exponentially from the first. There was some clunky dialogue and times that I thought Michael may have been onscreen for too long in certain shots. I always liked Michael when he's in the shadows, or pops up when you don't expect him to. But, as far as the entire franchise, this is my second favorite, and the first one I was able to see in theaters upon it's  theatrical release. Great kills, Michael is menacing, and I, for one enjoyed the "Laurie being his sister" sub-plot from the first time I viewed this installment. (8/10)

1. Halloween (1978)- Ah yes! The original classic. I know most of the younger generation find it to be slow-paced and boring. But, for it's time, this movie was pushing the envelope. I first saw it on TV as I was too young to see it in theaters. I found the initially happy opening that slowly began to build into a tension-filled thriller very exciting.  Michael's blank face in the opening sequence after he had killed Judith gave me goosebumps, as did the scene of Michael's escape from Smith's Grove Sanitorium when all of the mental patients were just milling around like zombies. This is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. It is a slow burn and has a fairly low death count compared to the rest of the series, but, I believe it was paced well with some very tense moments and a very creepy atmosphere. (9/10, because no movie is perfect)

These are just my personal rankings, of course. And, I am sure that many will disagree with my opinions. Please give yours if you have the time, and feel free to criticize mine. Let's just try to keep it civil. 

1. Halloween

2. Halloween 2

3. Halloween 4

4. Halloween 5 (If Jamie hadn't been mute, it could have been 3 because the end house was so intense.)

5. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

6. Halloween - Rob Zombie remake (agreed on white trash daddy issue backstory being the f'n worst. Rape in the cell scene also pointless. Just Zombie trying to be shocking and vulgar.)

7. Halloween 6: Curse of Michael Myers (cult control at end took it down otherwise it could have been 3 or 4)

8. H2O

9. Halloween 2 Rob Zombie remake This was real crap to me.

10. Resurrection. I will boldly put this as unwatchable. Sorry for being that guy. haha Busta Rhymes and reality TV. No thanks.

I am old and too many new films come out that I rarely waste my time any more watching beyond the first 5 I noted.

2 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

1. Halloween

2. Halloween 2

3. Halloween 4

4. Halloween 5 (If Jamie hadn't been mute, it could have been 3 because the end house was so intense.)

5. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch

6. Halloween - Rob Zombie remake (agreed on white trash daddy issue backstory being the f'n worst. Rape in the cell scene also pointless. Just Zombie trying to be shocking and vulgar.)

7. Halloween 6: Curse of Michael Myers (cult control at end took it down otherwise it could have been 3 or 4)

8. H2O

9. Halloween 2 Rob Zombie remake This was real crap to me.

10. Resurrection. I will boldly put this as unwatchable. Sorry for being that guy. haha Busta Rhymes and reality TV. No thanks.

I am old and too many new films come out that I rarely waste my time any more watching beyond the first 5 I noted.

I've only seen the first five -- stopped watching after that came out -- and then the first Rob Zombie remake, and that's the exact order I'd put them in, too.

1-9. Halloween 3 Season of the Witch because I severely dislike Michael Myers and absolutely love H3 not only for the catchy silver shamrock song but even better, it has The Old Man from Robocop in it.

10. All other Halloween movies 

It's been years since I rewatched the series, but I think my order goes:

HALLOWEEN 2

HALLOWEEN (1978)

HALLOWEEN (2007)

HALLOWEEN 4

HALLOWEEN 6

H2

HALLOWEEN 5

H20

HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION

Halloween

Halloween 4

Halloween 2

Halloween H20

Halloween 5

Halloween Resurrection

Halloween 6

I'm counting the main cannon storyline.  I did like the first Rob Zombie flick but these ones are the base Halloween movies.

This is pretty much the order as far as how much I enjoy watching each film, and how likely I am to rewatch it again.

1.  Halloween 1

2.   Halloween 2 

3.  Halloween 6 - just loved so much about it.  The atmosphere.  Tommy Doyle being the next Loomis.  A lot doesn't make sense, but i really enjoy it.  

4.   Halloween 4 - liked the characters a lot.  

5.  Halloween H20

6.  Rob Zombie's Halloween - I enjoy it, but it is annoying how every other work is "fuck" and the rape scene wasn't need.  Wtf?

7.  Halloween 3 - The song itself almost gets it to this spot!  8 more days till Halloween!

8.  Halloween 5 - I HATE Tina!   If only she died earlier.  

9.  Halloween: Resurrection -  Still has it's moments.   I'll watch it sometimes  

10. Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 -  Garbage.  I will never rewatch it.  The vulgar language was even worse, and it was ridiculous Rob had to write his wife into this movie with the ridiculous horseshit!  Think Annie and her dad were the only likable characters if I remember right.  And Loomis and Laurie were supposed to be the lead characters?  Hate what he did to Loomis.  

Yeah.  There's only one I actually hate and won't rewatch.  I love the Halloween franchise.  

• Like 1

1, 2, and 4 are in people's top 4 71% of the time, so far. A bit similar to how 4 & 6 of FRIDAY THE 13th are in a majority's top 4. At least, from the small yet random sampling these forums allow. Interesting.

I think my list is fairly fluid and changes depending on the day. So today, I rank them:

1. Halloween 
  2. Halloween II
  3. Halloween 6
  4. 8 - Resurrection
  5. Halloween 4
  6. Halloween 5
  7. H20

Fuck the remake and it's atrocious sequel. :) And Part 3 is great as a standalone.

1. Halloween

2. Halloween II

3. Halloween 4

4. Halloween H20

5. Halloween 3

6. Halloween 5

7. Halloween 6

8. Rob Zombie's Halloween

9. Halloween Resurection

10. Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

1. 1

2.  2

3.  3

4.  H20

5.  4

6.  5

7.  6 (producers cut)

8.  6

9.  Remake

10.  8

11.  Remake sequel

I think from a movie stand point, I like Halloween better than Friday the 13th. The continuity is stronger, the character more fleshed out, and the creepy factor was done better  

Unranked:

Halloween 3 Season of The Witch. Haven't seen it. I am a fan of slasher flicks, not always horror. No Michael means no definitelynotjason. 

Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers. I had heard there was all this occult business and Michael was not the big bad, so I skipped it. I guess in the end it is pretty much the same story as part 9, which I didn't enjoy. 

Halloween 2 (2009). Too surreal for my tastes. The Annie Bracket scene is one of the most brutal things I have seen on film. 

halloween Ressurection. This one might have suffered the most from a post Scream world. The meta, the show within a movie, the stunt casting. I think it is fine as slashers go, but it is just ok. 

Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers. I know I have seen it, I know I liked it, but I can't really Romberg much. Shotgun, laundry chute, creepy kid. That's all I got. 

Halloween H20. While it might have been a little cliche, this was a very good sequel to 2 and wrapped the story up in a way I could get behind. It felt more authentic to the originals and was more straight forward. 

Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers. This is a really good movie. It tried hard to capture the creepiness of the original while being gory like the sequel. I think the balance was good. 

Halloween 2007. I really like this movie. I know I will catch flak for this. Some see the origin as a standard placing blame on the messed up home life. I see things a bit different. It appears to me as if Michael was messed from the beginning. Boy was nut balls crazy. We got to see how nut balls crazy manifests at that age. Normal kids deal with those situations without resorting to a bit of the old mega violence. I think the messed up family just shows us that when he started to show signs, the family couldn't deal and that made it worse. Everything that happened prior to trucker scene showed us what was in the famous Loomis quote. Michael was pure evil, and we saw it. We saw it when he ate his candy, we saw it when he killed the nurse, and we saw it when he killed the nice orderly, whom I almost rooted for Michael to spare. The sanitarium rape was unnecessary. Also, Danielle Harris is a beautiful woman. 

Halloween (1978). A classic film and a horror icon. Top to bottom well done. The best film on this list, and a must see for horror and slasher fans. 

Halloween 2 (1981). The first horror movie I ever saw. I was at a sleepover on Halloween when I was 8. I was with a friend and his older brother. The brother was pissed off so he tried to scare us by playing this movie on tv. He failed. I loved it! The right type of scary and gory for me. My grandfather had a habit of taping everything he ever watched. I inherited 200 VHS and 100 beta tapes when he died. He taped this one and I watched it at least a dozen times. It may not be the best, but it was my first, and there is always a place in your heart for your first. 

7 hours ago, Definitelynotjason said:

I think from a movie stand point, I like Halloween better than Friday the 13th. The continuity is stronger, the character more fleshed out, and the creepy factor was done better  

Unranked:

Halloween 3 Season of The Witch. Haven't seen it. I am a fan of slasher flicks, not always horror. No Michael means no definitelynotjason. 

I would really recommend this movie. Just think of it as Season Of the Witch and forget that it has anything to do with Halloween at all. It really is a creepy, surreal movie. It has it's share of 80's cheese, but definitely worth a watch.

Halloween 6 The Curse of Michael Myers. I had heard there was all this occult business and Michael was not the big bad, so I skipped it. I guess in the end it is pretty much the same story as part 9, which I didn't enjoy. 

Unfortunately, it does have an overload of the occult business, and I hated the fact that they didn't bring back Danielle Harris. (She only asked for $5 grand to reprise the role). Michael is the only "big bad" you care about, and he is done pretty well. It is not a bad ending for the Thorn timeline, but you are not missing much by not seeing it honestly.

Halloween 2 (2009). Too surreal for my tastes. The Annie Bracket scene is one of the most brutal things I have seen on film. 

The Annie Bracket death scene might be the only thing I like about this film even though most of that was off screen, it was brutal as hell. Ok, maybe I lied about it being the only thing I liked about it. I thought the hospital sequence was great as well. Too bad it was a fucking dream! (Really Rob, WTF were you thinking there?) As for the rest of the movie? It seems like Rob was smoking a blunt with Sheri and she said, " <inhale>I want to be in the next Halloween baby." He replied, "<inhale>But you killed yourself in the first one. <cough>", "<inhale> Put me in it, or you're not getting laid tonight! <cough><laugh>" "<inhale> Ok, fuck it! I'll put you in the movie! <laugh>" And...the rest is history! This movie SUCKED!!

halloween Ressurection. This one might have suffered the most from a post Scream world. The meta, the show within a movie, the stunt casting. I think it is fine as slashers go, but it is just ok. 

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. It was just ok for me too.

Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers. I know I have seen it, I know I liked it, but I can't really Romberg much. Shotgun, laundry chute, creepy kid. That's all I got. 

I think this one was a pretty solid follow up to part 4. It had some slapstick crap that got annoying, and Tina got on my last fucking nerve through the first 2/3'rds of this one, but she did redeem herself in the end. When it is all said and done, this is a solid installment in the Halloween franchise.

Halloween H20. While it might have been a little cliche, this was a very good sequel to 2 and wrapped the story up in a way I could get behind. It felt more authentic to the originals and was more straight forward. 

I honestly wish this would have been the last one. It was a back to basics Michael Myers/Laurie Strode story. The teenagers got a little annoying, but that is what teenagers do in slasher films. I enjoy the film and I also thought it wrapped the entire story up very well.

Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers. This is a really good movie. It tried hard to capture the creepiness of the original while being gory like the sequel. I think the balance was good. 

I love this one. When they brought Michael back, they brought him back with a vengeance! I watch all of the Halloween movies (and the Ft13th movies, and the NOES movies, and the Chucky movies, and Romero's Dead movies, and Hellraiser 1 and 2 (fuck the rest of em), and Phantasm 1 and 2, and The Evil Dead movies (including the re-make now), and the Hatchet series) every October. But, the original, part 2, and the re-make hit the Blu Ray player a few times each year.

Halloween 2007. I really like this movie. I know I will catch flak for this. Some see the origin as a standard placing blame on the messed up home life. I see things a bit different. It appears to me as if Michael was messed from the beginning. Boy was nut balls crazy. We got to see how nut balls crazy manifests at that age. Normal kids deal with those situations without resorting to a bit of the old mega violence. I think the messed up family just shows us that when he started to show signs, the family couldn't deal and that made it worse. Everything that happened prior to trucker scene showed us what was in the famous Loomis quote. Michael was pure evil, and we saw it. We saw it when he ate his candy, we saw it when he killed the nurse, and we saw it when he killed the nice orderly, whom I almost rooted for Michael to spare. The sanitarium rape was unnecessary. Also, Danielle Harris is a beautiful woman. 

This wasn't a bad entry. I personally do not care so much for the backstory, but I don't think it sucks. I just think it is a little cliche', and I think that it shows Zombie's lack of writing skills. Any of the people in young Michael's family could be interchanged with another character in any other Zombie flick. But, once Mikey broke out of Smith's Grove, it was a fairly faithful re-imagining of the original. It was a brutal film that I really enjoyed. I just wish Rob had done better with his sequel. If you like Danielle Harris, check out the Hatchet series. She stars in the two sequels, but all three movies are pretty damn good. (Of course, since I live in New Orleans, I may be biased here, haha)

Halloween (1978). A classic film and a horror icon. Top to bottom well done. The best film on this list, and a must see for horror and slasher fans. 

This was my personal favorite. The first time I saw it was on TV when I was a kid, and it scared the shit out of me! ? This was the third horror film that I had seen in my life. The first was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre at a drive-in when I was 4 or 5. My "cool" uncle Tommy took me to go see it. I had nightmares for weeks! (I grew up in Texas). And the second was Psycho on VHS, didn't really scare me much. But, this movie stuck with me for a while.

Halloween 2 (1981). The first horror movie I ever saw. I was at a sleepover on Halloween when I was 8. I was with a friend and his older brother. The brother was pissed off so he tried to scare us by playing this movie on tv. He failed. I loved it! The right type of scary and gory for me. My grandfather had a habit of taping everything he ever watched. I inherited 200 VHS and 100 beta tapes when he died. He taped this one and I watched it at least a dozen times. It may not be the best, but it was my first, and there is always a place in your heart for your first. 

I actually saw this in the theater when I was a kid. I loved it! The original just barely squeaks by this flick as my favorite of the series. They definitely upped the gore and overall effects in this one. They used the bigger budget well.

Hey, thanks for your ideas on the films. This is probably my favorite horror franchise. It's always cool to hear other people's perspectives. ?

1. Halloween
  2. Halloween 2 
  3. Halloween 4 
  4. Halloween H20
  5. Halloween III
  6. Halloween (Rob Zombie)
  7. Halloween 5
  8. Halloween Resurrection
  9. Halloween 6
  10. Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)

1. Halloween- Undisputed to me

2. Halloween 3- I LOVE this movie! It's so creepy and original. Not to mention the music is incredible!

3. Halloween 2-  Classic, feels like a true sequel. Captures the atmosphere very well.

4. Halloween 4- Great movie. I love how it starts and finishes. Good kills too.

5. Halloween 6- Used to hate it, but its grown on me. I wished Dr. Loomis had more to do. I love the celtic origin stuff. 

6. Halloween 2 (Zombie)- Used to hate it. But it's more original than his first Halloween. Love the cinematography and kills. But the story sucks.

7. Halloween (Zombie)- first half is awesome then it falls apart. Not a fan of this remake.

8. Halloween H20- I used to love it. Jamie Lee Curtis saves this movie. It feels too 90's and too much like Scream to me. The ending is really good though. 

9. Halloween 5- Hate the charecters. The ending is really cool but that huge Myers house bothers me. I wished Danielle Harris talked too.

10. Halloween Resurrection- No....just no....

On 8/15/2017 at 7:44 PM, Not Shelly said:

1. Halloween- Undisputed to me

Me too. Even though you are not Shelly (:( disappointed), you have great taste in movies sir!

2. Halloween 3- I LOVE this movie! It's so creepy and original. Not to mention the music is incredible!

I do not rank it quite as high as you, but I do love the originality of this one. You are correct about the music, loved it! I would have loved to see where the series would have gone if they would have stayed with the "anthology" idea.

3. Halloween 2-  Classic, feels like a true sequel. Captures the atmosphere very well.

I am a huge fan of this one. It may be because it was the first Halloween flick I saw in theaters.

4. Halloween 4- Great movie. I love how it starts and finishes. Good kills too.

I agree. Danielle Harris was great in this one. Definitely one of the best in the franchise.

5. Halloween 6- Used to hate it, but its grown on me. I wished Dr. Loomis had more to do. I love the celtic origin stuff. 

I couldn't get over the fact that they re-cast Jamie. I didn't enjoy the Thorn storyline as much as you. But, that is ok. ;)

6. Halloween 2 (Zombie)- Used to hate it. But it's more original than his first Halloween. Love the cinematography and kills. But the story sucks.

I will never watch this film again. I've seen it 3 times, and that is enough for me. It just feels like Zombie went off the rails with this one. I hated every character, and that does not bode well when I am watching a movie. I didn't care when anyone died. (Except maybe Annie, that was brutal!)

7. Halloween (Zombie)- first half is awesome then it falls apart. Not a fan of this remake.

We are polar opposites on this one. I enjoyed the second half much more. I honestly rank this among the top 10 remakes released in the last 15 years.

8. Halloween H20- I used to love it. Jamie Lee Curtis saves this movie. It feels too 90's and too much like Scream to me. The ending is really good though. 

I really didn't hate this one. I thought it showed a lot of love to the first two films. I was bummed that they disregarded 4-6, but I understand the choice. I agree that the ending was great.

9. Halloween 5- Hate the characters. The ending is really cool but that huge Myers house bothers me. I wished Danielle Harris talked too.

You are correct. There weren't many characters to like in this one. Rachel's death was stupid and abrupt, Mikey (the boyfriend) was a real douchebag, Jamie was stifled as a character, Tina was annoying AF, and Dr. Loomis was not given the screen time he deserved. The only character I had any sympathy for was Deputy Charlie.

10. Halloween Resurrection- No....just no....

It was an un-needed addition to a franchise that was done. I can't lie, I get some entertainment out of this one. But, you are correct, it never should have been made.

The great thing about film is that people will not always agree about the merits of individual movies, but we can all discuss the things we liked, and disliked, about each one of them. Thanks for the input. Check these quizzes out if you get a chance.

• Like 1

1.halloween    

2.halloween 3 season of the witch

3.halloween 2

4.halloween 2 (zombie)  

5.halloween (zombie)     

6.halloween curse

7.halloween h20

8. Halloween 4

9. Halloween 5

10.  Halloween Ressurection

1. Halloween 

2. Halloween 4

3. H20

4. Halloween III

5. Halloween II

6. Rob Zombie's Halloween

7. Revenge

8. Curse

9. Resurrection

10. Rob Zombie's H2.

1.  Halloween (original). Gotta go with the original.  The one that started it all.

2.  Halloween 4.  I loved the story. We were introduced to Danielle Harris.  It had a great and creepy atmosphere and still felt like a Halloween movie.  Pay attention to the lighting.  They used a lot of blue lighting for the night scenes and it works really well.  The ending is very powerful too.

3.  Halloween 2.  A lot of people don't like this one, but it's still a good one.  Michael marching up and down an empty hospital is just creepy.  Direct sequel to part 1 and the score is very well done with the organ sound.

4.  Halloween (2007).  Rob Zombies Halloween gets a lot of criticism and a lot of people don't like it, but I do.  I think too many people compare it to the original too much and whenever you do that with a movie as great as Halloween, the remake is always going to fall short.  If you watch Rob Zombies Halloween as it's own movie without the comparisons, it's a good movie.  It still has its flaws and is far from perfect, but Rob Zombie did a good job at creating a good Halloween movie.

5.  Halloween 5.  I'm on the fence with this one.  I'll say that I don't love it, and yet there is no way I can say that I hate it because I've watched it too many times to say that I hate it (always on AMC during October).  In the original series, this is where it started going downhill.  You can tell that they started doing some weird stuff with the series.  Even the Myers mask looks fucked up!  Still watchable and far from the worst in the series, but not a particularly good one in the series.

The rest of them in the series I have not watched too much, so it's hard for me to rank them.  The fact that I've only watched each of the remaining only once or twice is a testament that I don't like them too much.  I kind of let them fall in line where they fall.

6.  Halloween H20.

7.  Halloween 6.

8.  Halloween Ressurection.

9.  Halloween 3.  I don't even feel like putting this one in there because it's not really Halloween to me.  Nothing to do with Michael Myers, but all that said, I'll still put it above #10.

10.  Halloween 2 (2009).  After his 2007 Halloween, I was excited for this, but was let down.  Rob Zombie made it too original and "Rob Zombie" like for me.  He even teases us by making a scene take place in a hospital like the original part 2!

Halloween 2

Halloween

Halloween H20

Halloween 4

RZ Halloween theatrical cut

Season of the Witch 

Halloween 5

Halloween 6

RZ Halloween 2 

Resurrection

RZ Halloween director's cut (the rape sequence is disgusting, and has no place in a Halloween film, that alone takes it from ranking below four to the very bottom of the list for me, his escape in the theatrical cut was fine, and shouldn't have been messed with)

John Carpenter's Halloween

Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

Halloween 4

Halloween: H20

Rob Zombie's Halloween

Halloween II

Halloween 6

Halloween: Resurrection

Halloween 5

Not most will agree with me but I find Rob Zombie's sequel to be fairly underrated, especially if we're talking about the director's cut. A lot of people say "all he did was go for the most gore" and what not but that was the Weinsteins' fault. If Zombie had his way, his sequel would've been reminiscent of the original in that there would've been only about 5 kills or so but the Weinsteins kept insisting on more kills (hence the strip club kills and the party kills, all of which weren't initially there). But, anyway, I think Zombie crafted the best film in the series since the original. Michael is a force to be reckoned with in it & unlike the original HII, Laurie has more to do than lie in a hospital bed for 90 minutes. Add that to the fact that it was a realistic depiction of how screwed up someone would be after dealing with a traumatic series of events like that.

There's not much for me to really say about John Carpenter's immortal classic...it's timeless. Any time you look at it, it's just as good as the first time. The Shape is literally the creepiest slasher there will ever be & I'll forever love the tension behind the film, that slow building sense of dread. It'll always be my number one favorite horror movie for so many reasons....in addition to being a superb piece of filmmaking, were it not for this film we wouldn't have ever gotten Mr. Voorhees too. ;)