So i've finally played enough games in a succession to notice an annoying issue.

The random Jason selection needs to be re worked.

I've played a total of 5 games in a row yesterday (The most i've played in a row without crashing). However people leave the game due to dashboarding or disconnecting. But being 3 games in, someone who just joined the lobby was Jason. And that happened the next game. And the next. Then it crashes. I rejoin and i'm Jason while other people in the same lobby who have been in there for now 6 games haven't been him once.

And this isn't a one time thing. I've had this happen to me in the past before but in smaller back to back games. 3 as an example (usually the most amount of games I play before a crash.)

I can't tell you how annoying and frustrating that is. If you're in a lobby for longer, your chances of being Jason should be higher than someone who just joined and not the other way around.

• Like 3

There definitely should have some sort of priority list that is in the lobby. I've have seen many times where I'm in the lobby for multiple games where I haven't been Jason and someone joins and get to play him before me? Everyone deserves a shot at him and I've been getting him quite often some days. I even almost feel a little bad when I play him back to back where others still have not got him yet.

Some players that even have the setting checked to where they don't even want Jason still get him. It definitely needs some looking into for improvement, but I will say it's in much better shape then from a few patches ago. 

It's like flipping a coin.  Every flip there is roughly a 50/50 chance for heads or tails, if you flip heads six times in a row the next flip is still a 50/50 chance for heads.  Everyone has one chance in eight to be Jason at the start of each match.  It doesn't, or shouldn't matter when someone joins.  1 out of 8.

I understand your desire to be Jason, but you can't take a few random observations and report it as hard statistics.  The game does not lean to making a new lobby player Jason.  

3 minutes ago, pitchfork said:

It's like flipping a coin.  Every flip there is roughly a 50/50 chance for heads or tails, if you flip heads six times in a row the next flip is still a 50/50 chance for heads.  Everyone has one chance in eight to be Jason at the start of each match.  It doesn't, or shouldn't matter when someone joins.  1 out of 8.

I understand your desire to be Jason, but you can't take a few random observations and report it as hard statistics.  The game does not lean to making a new lobby player Jason.  

I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm not the only one experiencing this. Even if it was a 1/8 chance every time (obviously not), that's still not the right thing to do. As @Conan_the_Savage mentioned a priority system would work to ensure everyone has a chance to be Jason. Not when you stay in a lobby and some random dude shows up and gets it right away. 

@Risinggrave experiences exactly the same thing in his own lobbies. 

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

@Risinggrave experiences exactly the same thing in his own lobbies. 

My observation is that after being dashboarded I'll rejoin the lobby and be Jason first thing. I've noticed that often the FNG also gets him. FNG has a better chance than somebody patiently waiting their turn. 

It's a load of bullshit. 

Once the game crashing and glitch issues are fixed, the Jason selection system needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

As much a I like playing Jason, it doesn't feel right to get selected to play him when you just were him two matches ago while in the same core group of players. This happened to me about a week ago (last time I played actually) and I ended up leaving the group so it wouldn't happen again.

Hopefully they can fix this somehow by adding in some Jason counter. Something like, If you played Jason you are skipped over in the random selection until someone who hasn't been Jason gets chosen, with priority to those who have the settings for playing Jason over a counselor. That of course would only work in a group that doesn't change at all since when someone leaves and a new player joins they would mess the counter up. Maybe in a changing match group here could be added a priority to the players who stay in the same group that haven't been Jason yet. 

I know this sound a bit crappy at best for an idea. Even after rereading it myself it sounds more complicated than it should. Lack of sleep and no caffeine can do that to my fragile warped mind.  lol!

7 minutes ago, Darth Drago said:

As much a I like playing Jason, it doesn't feel right to get selected to play him when you just were him two matches ago while in the same core group of players. This happened to me about a week ago (last time I played actually) and I ended up leaving the group so it wouldn't happen again.

Hopefully they can fix this somehow by adding in some Jason counter. Something like, If you played Jason you are skipped over in the random selection until someone who hasn't been Jason gets chosen, with priority to those who have the settings for playing Jason over a counselor. That of course would only work in a group that doesn't change at all since when someone leaves and a new player joins they would mess the counter up. Maybe in a changing match group here could be added a priority to the players who stay in the same group that haven't been Jason yet. 

I know this sound a bit crappy at best for an idea. Even after rereading it myself it sounds more complicated than it should. Lack of sleep and no caffeine can do that to my fragile warped mind.  lol!

Not crappy at all. 

I think sticking it out in a lobby should be rewarded. A que of all with Jason preference is fair. So the only people who may not get Jason are people who don't care or don't want him. New guys are at the end of the line. If it's doable, it's a great idea.

Every round that goes by where you don't get Jason a % chance to play Jason should go up. Not saying it is out of the realm of possibility for someone with a lower % chance to get it over someone higher, but it should work in a way where it gives players that have not played him yet a better shot. When you do play him it drops down to lower % and you build it back up.  

If it is a new server it should start off on a % whether what option you have going for your roll of the dice.

for example - 

Want to be Jason 40%

No opinion 20%

Want to be Counselor 0%

As a lobby moves match to match everyone in the lobby earns a % based on what on what they like to play as. It builds up from there so players that have been sitting in lobby have a better shot then players that just joined, but they still have a shot as well. It's just a lower chance. 

edit:  wouldn't even bad if there was a Pass check box in lobby if you don't want to play Jason that round. 

I've had the opposite. I stay in a lobby, then I and the people who I was with will get Jason before any newcomers. I was shocked when I discovered this, but I'm glad I did. I only bought this game because of Jason, not some teens who want to get drunk and have premarital sex. 

Just now, SnakeSound222 said:

I've had the opposite. I stay in a lobby, then I and the people who I was with will get Jason before any newcomers. I was shocked when I discovered this, but I'm glad I did. I only bought this game because of Jason, not some teens who want to get drunk and have premarital sex. 

What system? Curious if it's because Xbone is lagging behind in updates.

2 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

What system? Curious if it's because Xbone is lagging behind in updates.

I'm on PS4.

1 minute ago, SnakeSound222 said:

I'm on PS4.

Well, this makes it damn hard to talk about the game since we're all pretty much playing 3 different versions. 

8 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Well, this makes it damn hard to talk about the game since we're all pretty much playing 3 different versions. 

nah, this mechanic would be the same across all platforms. I went 5 days without being jason. Yesterday, I was jason almost every other match.

I'm almost certain this is how it works.

When you start game you generate a seed, most likely based on system time. This seed is used as the input for the random number generator that rolls your chance to be jason. Except the thing is the random number generator gives predictable outcomes based on the seed. Some may be consistently low while others are consistently high. You will keep that seed until you close the application and restart(the game not the system).

So going from room to room won't change your odds much especially if your seed sucks. The best thing to do would be to restart. That's mostly likely why when your game crashes and you restart and it seems to be working better. You generated a new seed that is giving you consistently higher rolls. 

There are other ways to go about a more truly random system and making the preference system actually work. This is the fast and cheap way to do it and almost certainly the way it's being done.

2 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

nah, this mechanic would be the same across all platforms. I went 5 days without being jason. Yesterday, I was jason almost every other match.

I'm almost certain this is how it works.

When you start game you generate a seed, most likely based on system time. This seed is used as the input for the random number generator that rolls your chance to be jason. Except the thing is the random number generator gives predictable outcomes based on the seed. Some may be consistently low while others are consistently high. You will keep that seed until you close the application and restart(the game not the system).

So going from room to room won't change your odds much especially if your seed sucks. The best thing to do would be to restart. That's mostly likely why when your game crashes and you restart and it seems to be working better. You generated a new seed that is giving you consistently higher rolls. 

There are other ways to go about a more truly random system and making the preference system actually work. This is the fast and cheap way to do it and almost certainly the way it's being done.

That does actually make sense.

This does annoy the hell out of me though. You'd think in a game where everyone wants to play Jason they would at least have a decent randomization system in place.

22 minutes ago, SnakeSound222 said:

it's called luck, because I'm on ps4 and I have seen many times where I've been in the lobby longer then some people and they got to play Jason before me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

That does actually make sense.

This does annoy the hell out of me though. You'd think in a game where everyone wants to play Jason they would at least have a decent randomization system in place.

if you think you are being left out restart game there's a chance you will receive a better seed. with the frequent crashes you probably actually have the most randomized system of all the platforms. But, PS4 is catching up. With every update my game crashes more and more.

• Like 1

I'm in agreement with those that believe this should be fixed. I've literally had times where I've played as Jason five or six times back to back. Not every other game, but back to back. And then there were times where I'd play all day and would only get Jason once or not at all. Some type of checks need to be put in place to make the selection more balanced than it is across all platforms.