Khryn

Double and Triple Trapping

Can we get an official word on whether or not stacking two or three traps on top of each other to kill a counselor at the fuse or where ever is working as intended?  

Personally I feel it's a cheap exploit.  If traps had some sort of anti clipping against each other it would fix this, but I'd like official word on this so I can either show it to people or I can shut up about it.

12 minutes ago, Khryn said:

Can we get an official word on whether or not stacking two or three traps on top of each other to kill a counselor at the fuse or where ever is working as intended?  

Personally I feel it's a cheap exploit.  If traps had some sort of anti clipping against each other it would fix this, but I'd like official word on this so I can either show it to people or I can shut up about it.

I don't know about the official word, but Jason has traps;  Jason places these traps;  a counselor sometimes intentionally runs into one, sprays him/herself off, then fixes the (fuse, car, etc.) while another counselor covers him/her while s/he does it.  Traps are fine the way they are, in other, unofficial, words.  No exploit at all.

Because if counselors stick together, Jason really hasn't much of a chance.  7-on-1, the math is easy!  So he needs all the help he can get, IMO...

• Like 3

I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying, Captain.  

I don't have a problem with traps.  I have a problem when there are two or three traps stacked on each other.  You get 3 traps stacked and if you step on one, thinking it's only 1 trap, it's insta death.  

The traps clip into themselves so you can't tell if there is more than one until it's too late.  That seems exploit-y.

I cant get get traps on top of each other. I can put them really close so that people cant tell theres two. Perhaps not stepping in traps is a better strategy for you

• Like 1

Yes, let me completely avoid doing any of the objectives.  That is quite helpful.  

Maybe you have all been lucky enough not to get double or triple trapped.  

When you say double or triple trapped, I think of traps placed very close together. I've never encountered traps stacked exactly atop each other. Is that even possible? (It shouldn't be.)

Trapping an objective with multiple traps IS a legit strategy, though in my opinion, a dumb strategy. If Jason wants to use up all his traps on one objective, go right ahead... we'll just complete the others while he's looking the other way. 

• Like 1

If there are 3 traps by the phone. that means there are 3 less traps by a car or boat.
I've seen someone sacrifice themselves, and trigger 2 of the traps and still manage to call the police.

I can never put one exactly on top of another. Just very very close.  With Perks. I've seen a person trigger a trap, just run away uninjured. (at least not hurt enough to slow down)

The core question is fair.. I believe they are working as intended, but devs don't seem to respond to these forums though (which is a shame)

• Like 1

As Jason, there's simply no reason not to double/triple trap the phone. It's the easiest method of escape and taking it out of play is vital. 

That said, anyone with a high-end thick-skinned perk is capable of tanking them and then running away, which is a very effective counter-strategy.

• Like 1

Triple Trapping the phone is 100% legit. Phone is easiest way to get everyone to survive and once the cops are called, you can't uncall them.

Triple trapping means you can't simply have Bugsy trigger a trap while Deb runs in install a fuse with AJ by the phone calling cops all before Jason can even Morph there to stop them.

Triple trapping guarantees I have ample notification and time to get there and stop you.

Whether you flare gun me or baseball bat me to stun me while you call anyway is on you, that's fair game. But at least I have an opportunity to try and stop you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ikarikh said:

Triple Trapping the phone is 100% legit. Phone is easiest way to get everyone to survive and once the cops are called, you can't uncall them.

Triple trapping means you can't simply have Bugsy trigger a trap while Deb runs in install a fuse with AJ by the phone calling cops all before Jason can even Morph there to stop them.

Triple trapping guarantees I have ample notification and time to get there and stop you.

Whether you flare gun me or baseball bat me to stun me while you call anyway is on you, that's fair game. But at least I have an opportunity to try and stop you.

Update 1.08... give Jason the ability to call the cops back and tell them it was a false alarm by a counselor who had done too many magic mushrooms. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Khryn said:

Yes, let me completely avoid doing any of the objectives.  That is quite helpful.  

Maybe you have all been lucky enough not to get double or triple trapped.  

You know what I do if the phone is dbl trapped? Grab some healthspray. Spring the first, heal, spring the second and limp to the phone. 

Alternatively, work with a teammate. Each person eat a trap and heal. This is a benefit because one can guard the box while the other calls.

Or use a pocket knife on the first, eat the second and heal. 

Or attach thick skin and eat the traps and run away laughing at Jason.

Or write off the phone and concentrate on the 4 seater.

• Like 1

ThePainkiller -- The tactic I am talking about, when done right, you don't get a break in between the traps. There is no chance for you to stop and use some Axe Body Spray inbetween traps.

5 minutes ago, Khryn said:

ThePainkiller -- The tactic I am talking about, when done right, you don't get a break in between the traps. There is no chance for you to stop and use some Axe Body Spray inbetween traps.

Among other reasons, this is why Thick Skinned is arguably the best perk in the game.

• Like 1

Most of you people did not even read the OP.

What he's saying is that Jason can sometimes glitch trap placement so that two or more traps are placed AT THE SAME TIME, as in, multiple traps are occupying the same space, not side-by-side. That means when you step in one, as soon as you struggle free, the other snaps and kills you. I've done it before by accident in this clip:

You can see I place two traps at the same time in the same spot. I think it comes from mashing or holding the trap button. I'm not sure what causes it.

I think it's an exploit. And if being realistic, you can't place traps on each other like that. Once you free yourself from one of the traps, you automatically trigger the others. You can't heal in between or run away after the first one. And if you don't have thick skin, you're automatically dead in this scenario.

Yes, if we're going for realism, traps should be able to be placed adjacent to one another but should NOT be able to be stacked on top of each other like pancakes. If the latter is what's happening, then I'd suggest sending some video to Gun so they can put it on their fix-it list.

1 hour ago, Splatterhouse said:

Update 1.08... give Jason the ability to call the cops back and tell them it was a false alarm by a counselor who had done too many magic mushrooms. 

jFOnYlhAmTJg7ngmFP3Zq5V32puxmRzSDn9KXaxW

2 hours ago, ikarikh said:

While I may agree that triple-trapping is legal, I still call that a ho' move, honestly.  It's dishonorable in the same way it is to stab someone in the back.

Personally, I use one trap, but while I'm at the phone box house I also break all the doors and walls inside it (same with Lodge) so that way I can shift in and grab whoever's on the phone.  Traps are only meant to be a part of Jason's arsenal;  that's how I use them.

The reverse is the counselors' pocket knives.  How frustrating is it when you grab them and they bleed you like they do?  But nobody complains about that.

Wasnt the original reason triple trapping the box started was to stop the glitch where someone stood next to the trap then another councillor bypassed the trap and fixed the fuse? It was something like that. The one trap would not go off and the solution was putting 3 down?

13 hours ago, Khryn said:

There is a lot of counterplay to this. Consider that Jason has fewer traps to use on other objectives because of the opportunity cost of double-trapping, and also that counselors can work together to tank double-traps using med sprays. Or they can waste their knives on the traps if they're that desperate (but don't do that).

On 7/5/2017 at 7:48 PM, Cpt_Obviuos said:

While I may agree that triple-trapping is legal, I still call that a ho' move, honestly.  It's dishonorable in the same way it is to stab someone in the back.

Personally, I use one trap, but while I'm at the phone box house I also break all the doors and walls inside it (same with Lodge) so that way I can shift in and grab whoever's on the phone.  Traps are only meant to be a part of Jason's arsenal;  that's how I use them.

The reverse is the counselors' pocket knives.  How frustrating is it when you grab them and they bleed you like they do?  But nobody complains about that.

If my role is a homicidal serial killer, I don't think morality and "honor code" are really viable arguments....

My job is to kill you and ensure no survivors. So long as I'm not glitching/cheating to accomplish that, anything and everything is fair game.

And triple trapping an objective is neither glitching or cheating.

And let's also look at the other side just for kicks. I main Savini Jason. That means I have 5 traps total. If i triple trap the phone, that means I only have 2 traps left for both cars/the car and the boat.

I'm certainly not going to care if some crybaby in my match gets pissed because he can't easily get the phone as his escape option and has to focus on cars/boat instead. Tough shit for him. Eat the traps with med sprays and then wait til later when it's free of traps and i'm busy with the car, then go repair and call or just go repair the cars/boat or hide.

You have tons of options to work with that I'm not going to have any sympathy for anyone upset that the ONE way they WANT to escape is made difficult for them.

It's no diff than my Adam dealing with P2 Jason's who trap the fuck out of EVERYTHING. Somehow, I manage each match and get objectives done anyway, shocker :P

• Like 2

As I have said previously, thick-skinned and medsprays are more than ample counterplay to a multiple trap strategy. It's pretty simple early on in the game to grab a medspray from a bathroom and have a couple people run over (one thick-skinned person to tank the traps, another for backup/protection) to clear them out so you can get to the phone later. 

Counselors need to adjust accordingly to evolving tactics, just as Jason needs to adjust accordingly to evolving counselor tactics. That's how metagaming works. 

• Like 1

Literally nothing irritates me more than people (seriously, not playfully) whining at me when I am playing Jason.

I am there to kill you. That is the premise of the WHOLE FREAKING GAME.

If I am feeling generous at the beginning of the game - when I still have objectives to trap - and you aren't specifically getting in my way, I may give you a pass. After that, all bets are off, and anyone who thinks I need to use more grabs... or less grabs... or more slashing... or less slashing... or walk them across the map to a context kill... or only engage them in combat mode... or WHATEVER specific way that they have decided in their own little world dictates an "honorable kill"...

Well, that person is probably going to be disappointed, because unfortunately I am just going to kill them how I want to kill them, and when they whine about it, I will break character just long enough to say: "The best part about about murdering someone is the part where they stop talking."

Anyway...

I start every match the exact same way - I grab my two knives from Mommy's shack, I port to the phone box and trap it twice, I port to the 4-seater and trap the gas and the battery, I port to either the 2-seater and trap the battery or to the boat and trap the walkway as best I can. After that is done, if I haven't bumped into anyone, I make the rounds of all the power boxes, busting them until I find a victim.

It works out pretty well for me. I average between 5 - 8 kills, usually, but as I always tell any Jasons I am playing against when they only get a couple of kills: "Don't feel bad, buddy, it happens to the best of us!"