Jump to content
Bubbaloo Burrito

Did all big streamers get banned?

Recommended Posts

Just out of curiosity. I looked into the twitch feed and Friday is way down there even after Arma 3 (which is an old ass game) and I saw two people streaming with big numbers. 

Guess the days of glitching and shitting are over :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bubbaloo Burrito said:

Just out of curiosity. I looked into the twitch feed and Friday is way down there even after Arma 3 (which is an old ass game) and I saw two people streaming with big numbers. 

Guess the days of glitching and shitting are over :) 

Big Streamers stopped playing the game for the most part. They either got bored or their audience did.

Glitching isn't over, it'll never be over. Just less people doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's just how Streamers work. When a game is new you are of course gonna get a ton of streaming it. The big names and the middle listers will stream it just to keep their names at the top of the twitch listings. After a few weeks though they will drop the game from full time game status cause viewers are fickle people and tend to lose interest if they are presented the same thing over and over again (with few exceptions). Personally F13th is not a game I would want to play or stream all the time. its fun but for me its a "once a few days" sort of game, if I played it exclusively I think I would get burnt out after a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, e.txcountryboy said:

it's just how Streamers work. When a game is new you are of course gonna get a ton of streaming it. The big names and the middle listers will stream it just to keep their names at the top of the twitch listings. After a few weeks though they will drop the game from full time game status cause viewers are fickle people and tend to lose interest if they are presented the same thing over and over again (with few exceptions). Personally F13th is not a game I would want to play or stream all the time. its fun but for me its a "once a few days" sort of game, if I played it exclusively I think I would get burnt out after a while.

Twitch streamers are the Justin Biebers of video game lore. Always self-serving, love the sound of their own voice too much and are never in it for long haul. My personal opinion - Good riddance. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

Twitch streamers are the Justin Biebers of video game lore. Always self-serving, love the sound of their own voice too much and are never in it for long haul. My personal opinion - Good riddance. 

I don't blame them for being "flavor of the month". For streamers a goal is to get as many subs and followers as possible, from there sell merch etc. So its understandable why they would change games to fit whatever people want to see. For some of the bigger names this is their job, how they pay their bills so I don't blame them for doing what they need to do in order to keep the cash rolling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, e.txcountryboy said:

I don't blame them for being "flavor of the month". For streamers a goal is to get as many subs and followers as possible, from there sell merch etc. So its understandable why they would change games to fit whatever people want to see. For some of the bigger names this is their job, how they pay their bills so I don't blame them for doing what they need to do in order to keep the cash rolling in.

Yeah I don't blame them either. They're the "reality TV show" celebrities of the modern video game industry. I don't blame them, but I'll always call them out like I would a reality TV "star" :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Splatterhouse said:

Yeah I don't blame them either. They're the "reality TV show" celebrities of the modern video game industry. I don't blame them, but I'll always call them out like I would a reality TV "star" :lol:

Aaah yea I can see that, though honestly I think that twitch streamers are nothing compared to some of the youtube personalities lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, e.txcountryboy said:

I don't blame them for being "flavor of the month". For streamers a goal is to get as many subs and followers as possible, from there sell merch etc. So its understandable why they would change games to fit whatever people want to see. For some of the bigger names this is their job, how they pay their bills so I don't blame them for doing what they need to do in order to keep the cash rolling in.

The issue is that they present themselves as it being a hobby, and how they're just in it for the fans and community, when in fact they're just cold-blooded business people who are in it just for the money that views bring.

I've been in a room with a bunch of pro streamers and 'influencers' before due to work, and all they talked about between themselves was the best way to monetise their audiences and sell them out to advertisers without them realising.

They were all essentially freelance shills, and a lot are largely just narcissists and/or sociopaths in real life, seeing their audience as nothing more than easily led cattle to be farmed for $.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

The issue is that they present themselves as it being a hobby, and how they're just in it for the fans and community, when in fact they're just cold-blooded business people who are in it just for the money that views bring.

I've been in a room with a bunch of pro streamers and 'influencers' before due to work, and all they talked about between themselves was the best way to monetise their audiences and sell them out to advertisers without them realising.

They were all essentially freelance shills, and a lot are largely just narcissists and/or sociopaths in real life, seeing their audience as nothing more than easily led cattle to be farmed for $.

So, businessmen/women, in other words. Let's not be captious. It's always a mistake to attempt to rationalize economic success as a well-deserved reward for outstanding moral character, selflessness, or contributing greatly to society. These things have never -- ever -- equated. So any disappointment or indignation one feels for seemingly outrageous and undeserved inequities have only themselves to blame for holding to such naive and unrealistic ideologies in the first place.

Unless one just REALLY wants to believe that Cheerios is in business because they actually care about cardiac health, and life insurers really care about their customers' families' well being.

Come on, now.

Successful YouTubers and Twitch streamers are modern-day prospectors, and they'll keep mining -- and rightfully so -- until there's no more gold.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

So, businessmen/women, in other words. Let's not be captious. It's always a mistake to attempt to rationalize economic success as a well-deserved reward for outstanding moral character, selflessness, or contributing greatly to society. These things have never -- ever -- equated. So any disappointment or indignation one feels for seemingly outrageous and undeserved inequities have only themselves to blame for holding to such naive and unrealistic ideologies in the first place.

Unless one just REALLY wants to believe that Cheerios is in business because they actually care about cardiac health, and life insurers really care about their customers' families' well being.

Come on, now.

Successful YouTubers and Twitch streamers are modern-day prospectors, and they'll keep mining -- and rightfully so -- until there's no more gold.

 

 

Yes, but at the same time we have laws regulating these companies, especially regarding advertising to kids. And people understand their sincerity is fake, and that they have a business model. They also provide a tangible product.

With streamers, this isn't true. They do a lot of ethically dodgy stuff and get away with it. People do not generally understand that they're businesses - thinking of them more as hobbyists - as their public face is a human, not a mascot. They also produce nothing but product shilling.

What's worse is, their main audiences are impressionable kids who are taken in with their false sincerity.

They're awful people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone really surprised?

Streamers exploit what they can and move on to the next. @wes' idea that streamers are the "new press" was one of the most absurd and misguided statements I think I've heard in relation to this game, or any game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Yes, but at the same time we have laws regulating these companies, especially regarding advertising to kids. And people understand their sincerity is fake, and that they have a business model.

With streamers, this isn't true. They do a lot of ethically dodgy stuff and get away with it. People do not generally understand that they're businesses - thinking of them more as hobbyists - as their public face is a human, not a mascot.

Also, their main audiences are impressionable kids who are taken in with their false sincerity. They're awful people.

Are there some controversies around streamers and YouTubers that I'm not aware of, or something? What are they selling their audiences that compare with mega corporations selling packaged diabetes? Or is it the fact that you perceive the YouTubers as preying on the inherent loneliness and low-self esteem of a vulnerable section of our society? If the latter, then I get what you're saying. Even though I still think the mega corporations are worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bewareofbears

They're the new press in terms of how companies traditionally marketed games. Having PewDiePie play your game is worth way more in sales than a preview or review on say Kotaku these days.

In every other regard, of course it's an absurd statement, but I think he only meant it in that narrow sense.

@Smitty_Voorhees

Exploitation is a major concern, but it's made worse because most people expect a company to be motivated by self interest, and they're regulated to the hilt. They're also a necessary evil as they actually produce things.

Streamers are generally percieved as enthusiasts, not the spokespersons-for-hire that they are, which makes them insidious. They also have only recently started to be regulated, but it's light, and they still subvert it. Previously they never had to declare any conflicts of interest. Most still don't. 

Look up the CS:GO skin scandal for a great example of some of the shit they pull. They're nothing more than shills, in the literal meaning of the term, and they've got unrestricted access to your kids minds.

You think the corporations are bad? These people ARE working for the corporations, and helping them trample all over advertising standards laws for money. They disgust me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZooMalfunction said:

@bewareofbears

They're the new press in terms of how companies traditionally marketed games. Having PewDiePie play your game is worth way more in sales than a preview or review on say Kotaku these days.

In every other regard, of course it's an absurd statement, but I think he only meant it in that narrow sense.

@Smitty_Voorhees

Exploitation is a major concern, but it's made worse because most people expect a company to be motivated by self interest, and they're regulated to the hilt. They're also a necessary evil as they actually produce things.

Streamers are generally percieved as enthusiasts, not the spokespersons-for-hire that they are, which makes them insidious. They also have only recently started to be regulated, but it's light, and they still subvert it. Previously they never had to declare any conflicts of interest. Most still don't. 

Look up the CS:GO skin scandal for a great example of some of the shit they pull. They're nothing more than shills, in the literal meaning of the term, and they've got unrestricted access to your kids minds.

You think the corporations are bad? These people ARE working for the corporations, and helping them trample all over advertising standards laws for money. They disgust me.

That would be like calling Kim Kardashian the new press because she wore a t-shirt you created. Yes, they get eyes on the game but that doesn't even slightly make them "press".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

That would be like calling Kim Kardashian the new press because she wore a t-shirt you created. Yes, they get eyes on the game but that doesn't even slightly make them "press".

Press can be a synonym for any kind of widespread coverage or commentary, not just limited to news or editorials.

The usage is entirely legitimate, especially so if the shirt got views because the image was published on one of her own social media channels.

From a PR or marketing perspective, he's using the word correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I do remember reading recently about some celebrity... I don't remember who... got busted for posting a photo on Instagram holding a... drink? Wearing a watch? Something along these lines, and she was fined, because she was sponsored by whoever made the product. So I am aware that there's a growing awareness toward targeting celebrities who are using social media and not advertising that they are advertising. I don't think this makes them particularly insidious, but I'll have to look up specific cases (like the one mentioned) of streamers/YouTubers to see where the indignation is coming from.

Some countries are WAY stricter about this sort of thing. Like in the states, we can't show a commercial for any of our products during any of our cartoons or movies. Simply against the law. In Germany, we can' t advertise directly to kids. I don't remember exactly how it works, but I remember specifically it coming up, and they were much, much, much stricter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never really watched streamers, except for while waiting for FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE GAME to come out... but I doubt I will ever be hungry enough for a game to do so again (FRIDAY THE 13TH is the only game that I can think of that I have been waiting almost 3 decades for).

I do find the hate for streamers odd, but then, I find the hate for anything that hurts no one and that you can just choose not to expose yourself to, to be odd.

*shrugs*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Press can be a synonym for any kind of widespread coverage or commentary, not just limited to news or editorials.

The usage is entirely legitimate, especially so if the shirt got views because the image was published on one of her own social media channels.

From a PR or marketing perspective, he's using the word correctly.

I definitely disagree, it's an incorrect usage. Press would be the people who cover that so-and-so is playing the game, etc. Streamers are marketing tools- both sides use each other.

I think we agree more than we don't on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I definitely disagree, it's an incorrect usage. Press would be the people who cover that so-and-so is playing the game, etc. Streamers are marketing tools- both sides use each other.

I think we agree more than we don't on this. 

The dictionary disagrees with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheriff Eli was fun to watch when he did stream it.  

Sxyhxy I think is slowly turning away.  It seems it prefers DBD since the devs are taking better care of the game.

Angrypug seems to be shifting into DBD as well.

Swiftor dedicates 1-2 hrs on it daily it seems.

This game peaked at 16k players during launch and a bit after (steam numbers). The highest it got was 7k during the double exp weekend.  I think we're in the process of the "fat lady singing".  Instead of gun pumping out updates with new content they are busy trying to deal with these bugs (which should of been addressed in beta).  I haven't played in a few days, I'll wait to see what gun does,  but if they don't roll out some new content  soon this game won't last till end of summer

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Streamers, for the most part don't glitch...it's bad for views.

The game, however, has dropped off massively in viewership. The game isn't new anymore, and most people have seen what they needed to see. Just doesn't seem to be a game that a lot of people like to watch anymore. As someone who streams this almost exclusively, it's been a rough couple of weeks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

Streamers, for the most part don't glitch...it's bad for views.

The game, however, has dropped off massively in viewership. The game isn't new anymore, and most people have seen what they needed to see. Just doesn't seem to be a game that a lot of people like to watch anymore. As someone who streams this almost exclusively, it's been a rough couple of weeks...

It's pretty low on content. I know I'm tired of going through drawers so it's not a far stretch to imagine folks are tired of watching people go through drawers.

I wonder, if there had been less launch issues, if we would've seen some new content by now. I imagine most of their time has been spent trying to fix the various broken things for each platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...