If they are canon, I would love to revisit the discussion on why Pamela wouldn't work in game. Since *SPOILERS, DON'T READ IF YOU HATE SPOILERS* the tapes imply that she was raped by a supernatural being, who was Jason's father, and she heard Jason telling her to kill in her head before he died. Also, in the game, Jason hears Pamela telling him to kill, lending credence to them having a supernatural connection which was never in the films. That gives enough leeway to make her have similar abilities to Jason, especially since he can be killed in game and Pamela was killed as well. Unless they just don't have the money and resources to do mocap again and new kill animations specifically for her. *END SPOILERS*

5 hours ago, Bigboss831 said:

Yes they are cannon 

No they're not. Unless someone from New Line Cinemas comes onto this forum and says, "Yeah, that's the mythology we'll instruct all future screenwriters to abide by when creating sequels," then it's not canon.

3 hours ago, Ban_All_Music said:

If they are canon, I would love to revisit the discussion on why Pamela wouldn't work in game. Since *SPOILERS, DON'T READ IF YOU HATE SPOILERS* the tapes imply that she was raped by a supernatural being, who was Jason's father, and she heard Jason telling her to kill in her head before he died. Also, in the game, Jason hears Pamela telling him to kill, lending credence to them having a supernatural connection which was never in the films. That gives enough leeway to make her have similar abilities to Jason, especially since he can be killed in game and Pamela was killed as well. Unless they just don't have the money and resources to do mocap again and new kill animations specifically for her. *END SPOILERS*

So like the plot for the cult of thorn? Yawn

1 hour ago, GonzoThe912TH said:

So like the plot for the cult of thorn? Yawn

Hahaha, I didn't think of that connection. That makes it even worse. 

With Freddy, the only reason it worked was because of the insanity of it, not the act itself. A nun accidentally locked in a room for days with 100 insane men. That's ridiculous in a good way, but Freddy's Dead almost killed his backstory by showing too much of his past. With Michael...Cult of the Thorn, possibly raping his niece, etc...that is just terrible. What is wrong with horror filmmakers when franchises get long in the tooth?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bigboss831 said:

The tapes are cannon because the creator of the movies made the game too.

Not even close to being true. And the tapes were written by Part VI's writer/director who went on to make Date With An Angel, which not even Phoebe Cates could save. Not exactly a brilliant auteur. 

35 minutes ago, Ban_All_Music said:

Not even close to being true. And the tapes were written by Part VI's writer/director who went on to make Date With An Angel, which not even Phoebe Cates could save. Not exactly a brilliant auteur. 

Exactly my point part 6 writer and director so they are cannon.

22 hours ago, Ban_All_Music said:

That isn't how canon works.

Yea it does the people that make the movie says the tapes are cannon.

No he didn't & you have a gross misunderstanding of how canon works. I like the tapes (haven't found them but have listened on YouTube) but just because they're a welcome little addition & some of us fans like the little twists they provide doesn't make it canon. And only a person in denial would argue against that.

4 hours ago, Bigboss831 said:

Sean s cunning ham said they were.

It wouldn't even matter if he did say that, because he doesn't own all of the rights to the franchise. New Line owns the rights, but Paramount owns a bunch of copyrights, Victor Miller is trying to get rights back to the first script, etc.

Edit to Add: Horror Inc., The Manny Company as well...

58 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

It wouldn't even matter if he did say that, because he doesn't own all of the rights to the franchise. New Line owns the rights, but Paramount owns a bunch of copyrights, Victor Miller is trying to get rights back to the first script, etc.

Edit to Add: Horror Inc., The Manny Company as well...

How do you figure cause he does own and he created Friday the 13

8 hours ago, Bigboss831 said:

Dude, it's super cool they got the writer/director of Part VI to write the tapes, but with pretty much every franchise that isn't called STAR WARS, only the form in which the franchise originated is true canon.

So with FRIDAY THE 13TH it's the films.

It isn't a judgement on the quality, it just is what it is.

10 hours ago, Bigboss831 said:

He doesn't own the whole pie. The creative force and vision behind parts 3-8 (and the series) was Frank Mancusco Jr, and some with Phil Scuderi (parts 2 and 5). If it were up to Cunningham, Jason wouldn't even be canon as the killer -- he would just be a boy who drowned and is dead.

This is why we got A NEW BEGINNING. As far as Paramount was concerned, part 4 was going to be the last one. But then Georgetown said nah, and made part 5, and Mancusco Jr. was coerced into an executive producer role to keep an eye on things for Paramount. He returned as producer in part 6.

Cunningham had nothing to do with any of this (except some initial involvement with part 2 -- he wouldn't return to the scene until JASON GOES TO HELL).

Cunningham, through his company Manny Productions, owns the rights to the franchise -- but not copyrights or creative control. He doesn't own any of the films. It just means he gets residuals for everything. This means they can keep making movies, but they just have to pay him a piece of the action.

Cunningham/Manny Productions owns the concept/franchise.

Georgetown owned creative control over the early films, as the financiers/production company, and that has since been transferred to Horror Inc.

WB had international distribution rights since the 80s.

Paramount owned distribution rights and copyrights from 1980 (purchased as a negative pickup for 1.5 million after a bidding war with other studios), purchasing each film outright as negative pickups all the way through part VIII. They retained distribution rights to some time in the early 90s, when New Line (a subsidiary of WB) and Horror Inc. (Scuderi and company) bought the distribution rights from Paramount.

New Line owns from JASON GOES TO HELL on, but I believe Paramount retains copyright on the title "FRIDAY THE 13th" and copyrights on some of the earlier films, which is how they licensed those out to Platinum Dunes for the 2009 remake.

Paramount got all its rights back as part of a deal with WB a few years back, but that expires next year when rights will revert back to WB/New Line. Since Paramount is the company that has been dealing with Platinum Dunes, it's likely that they will be out of the picture once that happens, and the 2009 reboot will be treated as nothing more than an exercise in very expensive fan fiction. (This also means that all of those dozens of unproduced scripts they hired writers to craft will still be owned by Paramount and Platinum Dunes, and be totally unusuable, unless New Line wants to purchase them -- which they won't. So that means new drafts will have to be made, and none can have any direction that any of those unused drafts took.)

I'm not saying Cunninghman doesn't currently wield an enormous amount of influence over the franchise, because obviously he does, but he can't unilaterally decide and enforce new canon through work with a third-party licensee and expect any of the studios or production companies to maintain that vision in future films. Thus, it's not canon until it shows up in a film. However, this is all likely a moot point, since this entire timeline, as far as the studios are concerned, seem extinct and aren't even canon themselves anymore, anyway.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FlameRiderSD said:

since im revisting my own topic ive decided maybe we should ask @GunMedia_Ben to tell us the truth of this situation since he works with the others

Are the tapes canon ben?

He can says whatever he likes.

Only the movies are canon.

22 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

He can says whatever he likes.

Only the movies are canon.

I'm pretty sure Ben if he asked would know the answer to our question so its worth a shot also they have the original people so they would know

I would love to know the answer, but I doubt the devs could actually make that decision either way.  Also, does anyone consider anything post part 8 to be cannon?  Shit, even part 8 turned crystal lake into crystal harbor if you think about it.  So that should be out too.    

1 hour ago, FlameRiderSD said:

i asked for ben not you

You know, i'm just trying to be helpful and answer your question, but if you don't want my answer.

Fine! Have fun waiting for Ben to answer your question I guess.