Rydog

Friday the 13th knowledge base -- counselor/Jason data, full maps, tier lists

Hello! You may know me as Geekboxing on the Friday the 13th subreddit, or Rydog on Steam. I've spent the last several weeks researching the stats and abilities of counselors and Jason, to help the community with theorycrafting and learning more about the game. I have created a keyed guide to the game's maps, an extensive counselor stat guide, a Jason ability guide, and a data-driven counselor tier list (with a similar one soon to follow for Jason). I am currently in the process of migrating these guides to Steam, and I would love for you to check them out. I will happily migrate them here as well, if that is useful/not frowned upon by mods.

Also: Hello to Wes and my old friends at Gun. I am glad to see that this game is doing well! Clearly, I am very taken with it.

• Like 10

One thing I like about this game is that tier lists are subjective. I would rate A.J. as the best character but I have a friend who mains Tiffany and prefers her. Jason is the same way. Some prefer the faster "living" Jasons. Some prefer the "Zombie" Jasons with their higher shift cooldown and house smashing abilities. 

• Like 2

Wow! Incredible information.

I've been using Buggzy for his Speed and Strength but now that I know that Strength has no effect on Stun, I'll switch over to Vanessa and just carry a bat.

Thanks, Rydog!

17 hours ago, Rydog said:

Hello! You may know me as Geekboxing on the Friday the 13th subreddit, or Rydog on Steam. I've spent the last several weeks researching the stats and abilities of counselors and Jason, to help the community with theorycrafting and learning more about the game. I have created a keyed guide to the game's maps, an extensive counselor stat guide, a Jason ability guide, and a data-driven counselor tier list (with a similar one soon to follow for Jason). I am currently in the process of migrating these guides to Steam, and I would love for you to check them out. I will happily migrate them here as well, if that is useful/not frowned upon by mods.

Also: Hello to Wes and my old friends at Gun. I am glad to see that this game is doing well! Clearly, I am very taken with it.

I'm opening a fan site for the game within the next couple days. Can I use this information? I'll give you credit of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shadesofjoe said:

I'm opening a fan site for the game within the next couple days. Can I use this information? I'll give you credit of course.

Please feel free to cite specific pieces of information. However, I would prefer that you do not repurpose it in full -- I'd rather you cite/link to the source, so that I can answer questions and provide clarifications as needed.

32 minutes ago, Rydog said:

Please feel free to cite specific pieces of information. However, I would prefer that you do not repurpose it in full -- I'd rather you cite/link to the source, so that I can answer questions and provide clarifications as needed.

I've read your guides, thanks man

You really don't seem to be a big fan of A.J or Jenny, two characters who I really like playing as. You also talk in one your guides that stealth/composure stats are not THAT useful, and actually can be a total waste as the match goes on..correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't having the highest composure and stealth mean you can avoid Jason finding you with sense/pings, sometimes completely with perks added. I've had Jason's walk right by me under a bed while the lights were cut as Jenny not holding my breath. Alas, she can't repair, and I often end up wanting to move along objectives. I'm just curious why you don't hold them high. Is it just because you are a very objective/stick together type of player? I very much enjoy creeping around on my own, keeping my cool and trying to move the goals forward in the mean time. Honestly, I still don't think we completely understand how Sense works exactly, some say stealth has an impact. I just know composure/fear is a major part, that's why Jenny seems appealing to me, as I'm not a player looking to find myself next to Jason. I would like the Devs. to explain everything about these stats/perks in more detail.

It's funny because everyone is using/praising Vanessa right now because of her ability to piss off Jason(I hate playing against Vanessas, although she is easy to find), but I remember a time where people would groan and complain about Vanessa, partially cause it meant a brand new player. I certainly was usually like "get the fuck away from me" and "stop following me!" in the first few weeks of playing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Googoomuck said:

I've read your guides, thanks man

You really don't seem to be a big fan of A.J or Jenny, two characters who I really like playing as. You also talk in one your guides that stealth/composure stats are not THAT useful, and actually can be a total waste as the match goes on..correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't having the highest composure and stealth mean you can avoid Jason finding you with sense/pings, sometimes completely with perks added. I've had Jason's walk right by me under a bed while the lights were cut as Jenny not holding my breath. Alas, she can't repair, and I often end up wanting to move along objectives. I'm just curious why you don't hold them high. Is it just because you are a very objective/stick together type of player? I very much enjoy creeping around on my own, keeping my cool and trying to move the goals forward in the mean time. Honestly, I still don't think we completely understand how Sense works exactly, some say stealth has an impact. I just know composure/fear is a major part, that's why Jenny seems appealing to me, as I'm not a player looking to find myself next to Jason. I would like the Devs. to explain everything about these stats/perks in more detail.

It's funny because everyone is using/praising Vanessa right now because of her ability to piss off Jason(I hate playing against Vanessas, although she is easy to find), but I remember a time where people would groan and complain about Vanessa, partially cause it meant a brand new player. I certainly was usually like "get the fuck away from me" and "stop following me!" in the first few weeks of playing.

Composure and Stealth are useful at the beginning of a match (I have had similar successful hiding experiences when playing Jenny), but they both have diminishing returns as you accrue more and more Fear -- which is inevitable as Jason cuts power and makes his way down the victim list, or as your team contests him at objectives. One thing to keep in mind about high-Composure counselors is that they seem to have a higher "Fear bucket." In other words, they accrue Fear more slowly, but it also takes them far more time to shed Fear. These kinds of counselors are definitely more useful in pubs where people are lone wolfing objectives and trying to run away, but a lot of my advice (specifically in the tier list) is aimed at coordinated groups that want to pose a threat to Jason (i.e. people who are committed to escaping together and working to ensure group survival).

In my experience, Stealth only affects noise pings. A.J. is a lot easier to pick up on Sense than Jenny is, at the beginning of a match.

Vanessa is super-good because she has a killer cross-section of stats that allow her to fight and kite really well.

Wow, I've just read about the crap they pulled on your collected data / guides on Reddit? Unbelievable...

I registered on Reddit just a couple of minuts ago and instantly regretted it. And then I read what they did with your content... I think I'm gonna delete my Reddit account right away again... ridiculous.

Oh and thanks for all the hard work. I already skimmed through your stuff last week. Really good stuff and you better believe that your work is highly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Rydog said:

Composure and Stealth are useful at the beginning of a match (I have had similar successful hiding experiences when playing Jenny), but they both have diminishing returns as you accrue more and more Fear -- which is inevitable as Jason cuts power and makes his way down the victim list, or as your team contests him at objectives. One thing to keep in mind about high-Composure counselors is that they seem to have a higher "Fear bucket." In other words, they accrue Fear more slowly, but it also takes them far more time to shed Fear. These kinds of counselors are definitely more useful in pubs where people are lone wolfing objectives and trying to run away, but a lot of my advice (specifically in the tier list) is aimed at coordinated groups that want to pose a threat to Jason (i.e. people who are committed to escaping together and working to ensure group survival).

In my experience, Stealth only affects noise pings. A.J. is a lot easier to pick up on Sense than Jenny is, at the beginning of a match.

Vanessa is super-good because she has a killer cross-section of stats that allow her to fight and kite really well.

I've noticed that I've gone through almost whole matches with Jenny where the expression on her face doesn't change at all, and she doesn't make any noises. So basically, these high composure counselors are designed to resist fear very very well. On top of that, maybe it's flashlights or other fear reducing tactics/perks that I use. Are you positive that your fear increases automatically when other counselors die (not right in front of you) or try to contest Jason? I know when you see him, fear goes up. How did you figure that out? The fear "bucket" thing makes sense to me though. 

I totally understand what you're saying about your advice being for coordinated groups, yet characters like Jenny/A.J can still work alone, creeping around but communicating/working with the group to get out.

What's been pretty cool about this game is the many different ways it can be played, and all the different variables.

3 minutes ago, Googoomuck said:

I've noticed that I've gone through almost whole matches with Jenny where the expression on her face doesn't change at all, and she doesn't make any noises. So basically, these high composure counselors are designed to resist fear very very well. On top of that, maybe it's flashlights or other fear reducing tactics/perks that I use. Are you positive that your fear increases automatically when other counselors die (not right in front of you) or try to contest Jason? I know when you see him, fear goes up. How did you figure that out? The fear "bucket" thing makes sense to me though. 

I totally understand what you're saying about your advice being for coordinated groups, yet characters like Jenny/A.J can still work alone, creeping around but communicating/working with the group to get out.

What's been pretty cool about this game is the many different ways it can be played, and all the different variables.

Fear increases if you are in an unlit area (no lights or flashlight), see a dead body, take damage, or see/interact with Jason in any way (if you are near Jason, see him kill someone, get attacked, get grabbed, etc.). Check out the Composure section of my counselor stats guide -- I timed how long it takes each counselor to go from zero Fear to an invisible HUD while standing next to Jason. Jenny takes by far the longest, but she also takes an extremely long time to drop back to zero Fear.

On 6/30/2017 at 0:18 PM, pRaX said:

Wow, I've just read about the crap they pulled on your collected data / guides on Reddit? Unbelievable...

I registered on Reddit just a couple of minuts ago and instantly regretted it. And then I read what they did with your content... I think I'm gonna delete my Reddit account right away again... ridiculous.

Oh and thanks for all the hard work. I already skimmed through your stuff last week. Really good stuff and you better believe that your work is highly appreciated!

After further discussion, I don't think it was the mods' fault. It's back now. So no worries!

On 6/29/2017 at 8:17 PM, Rydog said:

I think loading up AJ with a soild epic lightfoot perk really increases her value. Sure she cant fight but if you pump up her running she can basically move along the whole nmap undetected and grab and fix things and Jason won't see her pings even if right beside him. She can then also use this to move towards an exit or hide from him near the end. Without the perk though not as useful.

3 hours ago, 7theye said:

I think loading up AJ with a soild epic lightfoot perk really increases her value. Sure she cant fight but if you pump up her running she can basically move along the whole nmap undetected and grab and fix things and Jason won't see her pings even if right beside him. She can then also use this to move towards an exit or hide from him near the end. Without the perk though not as useful.

The problem is that A.J. is inevitably going to get picked up by Sense -- the Stealth will not help her. I think that if there were a 10 Stealth/10 Composure counselor, it could perhaps result in some more viable stealth play.

1 hour ago, Rydog said:

The problem is that A.J. is inevitably going to get picked up by Sense -- the Stealth will not help her. I think that if there were a 10 Stealth/10 Composure counselor, it could perhaps result in some more viable stealth play.

Stealth affects the Range of Sense, it even says this in the game, and as long as you utilize your flashlight and have fear reduction perks, you won't be getting picked up. No fear = No sense or extremely small range.

When I play AJ I hardly ever have Jason morph on top of me. I've escaped 4 times in a row with AJ before. You just have to utilize stealth properly and manage your fear properly. Flashlight on is the key to keeping it down as AJ.

I also saw you said there is no indication for the Counselor to know if Jason is shifting towards them during Stalk or outside of the minimap range, basically allowing him to get someone by surprise. This is untrue. There is ONE indication, and that is when Jason gets close to you, even if his is Shifting and Stalk is on, the camera will slightly zoom in on your character. Using this, you can know that you are about to get Shift Grabbed from no where, and it gives you a very brief opportunity to attempt a dodge.

Otherwise you have some very sound knowledge written down for the game. Your breakdown of times and percentages are helpful. We need to see how perks really affect these numbers though. Like does Tinker make the speed of the bar itself move faster when you repair, or does it make skill check zones bigger, allowing it to move faster when you hit the check?

1 hour ago, weirdkid5 said:

Stealth affects the Range of Sense, it even says this in the game, and as long as you utilize your flashlight and have fear reduction perks, you won't be getting picked up. No fear = No sense or extremely small range.

When I play AJ I hardly ever have Jason morph on top of me. I've escaped 4 times in a row with AJ before. You just have to utilize stealth properly and manage your fear properly. Flashlight on is the key to keeping it down as AJ.

I also saw you said there is no indication for the Counselor to know if Jason is shifting towards them during Stalk or outside of the minimap range, basically allowing him to get someone by surprise. This is untrue. There is ONE indication, and that is when Jason gets close to you, even if his is Shifting and Stalk is on, the camera will slightly zoom in on your character. Using this, you can know that you are about to get Shift Grabbed from no where, and it gives you a very brief opportunity to attempt a dodge.

Otherwise you have some very sound knowledge written down for the game. Your breakdown of times and percentages are helpful. We need to see how perks really affect these numbers though. Like does Tinker make the speed of the bar itself move faster when you repair, or does it make skill check zones bigger, allowing it to move faster when you hit the check?

I second this.  I'm by far and away the most successful when using AJ.  Unless I spawn in a hot spot like in the cabin with the phone, near the 4 seater car, or in the lodge/Higgins Haven, I can usually escape by the police or I'm one of the last if not the last to die.  I play her lone wolf style, sticking to the outskirts of the map mostly while searching for items.  I try to avoid other counselors unless they are stealthy as well.  The only time I hid is when I'm trying to kill off the last minute or two before the cops arrive. If I see Jason on the map, I immediately go the opposite direction.  The perks I am currently running with her are level headed, night owl and restful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I second this.  I'm by far and away the most successful when using AJ.  Unless I spawn in a hot spot like in the cabin with the phone, near the 4 seater car, or in the lodge/Higgins Haven, I can usually escape by the police or I'm one of the last if not the last to die.  I play her lone wolf style, sticking to the outskirts of the map mostly while searching for items.  I try to avoid other counselors unless they are stealthy as well.  The only time I hid is when I'm trying to kill off the last minute or two before the cops arrive. If I see Jason on the map, I immediately go the opposite direction.  The perks I am currently running with her are level headed, night owl and restful.

Night Owl is godlike on her and offsets her 7 Composure. Having a 50% reduction to darkness fear on top of having other fear reduction and Sense avoidance perks, AJ can go the entire match without ever encountering Jason.

1 hour ago, weirdkid5 said:

Regardless of what the in-game text says, this is simply not true -- Stealth does not affect Sense at all, only Composure does.

You are right about the slight zoom on your counselor when Shift is occurring outside of your field of view, and I should definitely clarify that. But it is much more difficult to avoid compared to a regular Shift (where you can see Jason's icon), and is thus much more dangerous and likely to kill you, since the indication is so slight and doesn't give you much time to react or plan.

Perks are very difficult to test thoroughly, since there are 45 of them, they exist at so many rarities/percentages, and it's a lottery. Tinker is one that is vaguely on my list of perks to check out, but even if it were good, it would be tough to justify taking it on someone over Thick Skinned/Medic/Nerves of Steel. Anyone who could really benefit from it isn't really meant to be a fixer anyway

1 hour ago, thatdudescott said:

Great info.

Also,I miss EGM :(

Thanks! I do too.

26 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

The question I pose to you (as well as all other A.J. fans) in this case is, are you worried only about your own escape, or your teammates' escape? Because I am operating from the point of view that the team is working together to get as many people as possible out, rather than everyone just looking for their own escape route.