Sign in to follow this  
EspionageCosmo

Are these Jason Exploits? Or Are My Friends Wrong?

Hello All!

I regularly play with a group of friends who are of the thought that Jason doing any of the following is an "Exploit". I need to know if they are truly exploits or if they are part of the game:

1. Jason using block while in combat stance to block incoming attacks when entering a door he just broke down.
2. Jason using block while in combat stance to walk over bear traps unscathed.
3. Jason using block while in combat stance to block the effects of fire crackers.
4. Jason using block while in combat stance to block the flare gun.
5. Jason using combat stance to break down doors faster than he normally would.

Here is my problem. I have a personal, zero-tolerance policy for other players, public or private, trying to dictate how I play the game, either as Jason or Counselor. I don't listen to "No Instakill" or "No Shift+Grab." or anything similar.

It seems like there's always that contingent of players who think they can tell others how to play, no matter what the online game.

Outside of exploits, bugs, cheating, or anything else that the programmers did not intend to be part of the regular game, I leave no options off the table as Jason.

In this scenario with my friends, I neither want to:
A ) Use any of the above strategies if any of them are in fact exploits nor
B ) Be told incorrectly that I cannot do these things if they in fact are part of the game.

If the above strategies are truly part of the game, and I cannot convince my friends that these are fair game, I will be finding another group of friends to play with.

Please enlighten me here. Thanks in advance.

-Espionage Cosmo

1. Blocking incoming attacks from a door you broke down is not an exploit, that's just part of the game.

2. Using combat stance to walk over bear traps is an exploit. The developers did not intend this. It's an oversight.

3. Blocking the effects of firecrackers MAY be an oversight and thus an exploit. Although I don't think you even need to block, just be in combat stance period. That's why I consider it an exploit & oversight.

4. I don't think Jason even needs to block the flare gun either. I think there's just a whole slew of combat stance related oversights. Personally I think Jason should be able to BLOCK flares, if flares would work on Jason when he's not blocking.

5. The devs are split on combat stance and doors. There are those for and against it on the team. One thing I've noticed about combat stance and doors is that Jason can hit counselors on the other side of doors by using combat stance because his weapon and arms clip through the door. Jason can also destroy nearby doors and walls if they happen to be near what he is chopping in combat stance because of the way Jason moves forward in the combat attack animations and clips through objects. I think this is an oversight that wasn't tested fully and I think at the very least the clipping issue needs to be addressed.

1 is part of the game. You're just proactively defending.

2-4 are exploits, and shouldn't be done. They're making you invulnerable to things that Jason should not be, either balance-wise, or realism-wise. How does an arm stance make you immune to leg, head, or sensory attacks? Should a single button make you totally immune to three of the best defences counselors have? No, clearly not. You're supposed to dodge them, which isn't that hard to do.

5 is an exploit, as there's clearly a door breaking mechanic that it's subverting. However, it's not a gigantic benefit, and is widespread, and it wouldn't make sense to have it not damage the door.

5 is a grey area, but as everyone is doing it, I feel it's fine until it gets patched as you're just giving yourself a disadvantage otherwise.

If playing with friends though who don't do this, then the honour system is in place. You absolutely shouldn't. House ruling this out of existence is totally fine.

Blocking attacks is fine, thats what its meant for.

Blocking all the other things that are meant to slow Jason down are exploits imo.

Combat stance on doors is a double edge sword. Its quicker than the hold attack animation, however you dont get the I-frames and can be easily stunned through it as well as your weapon can get stuck, delaying your progress even further than the intended mechanic.

28 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

5. The devs are split on combat stance and doors. There are those for and against it on the team. One thing I've noticed about combat stance and doors is that Jason can hit counselors on the other side of doors by using combat stance because his weapon and arms clip through the door. Jason can also destroy nearby doors and walls if they happen to be near what he is chopping in combat stance because of the way Jason moves forward in the combat attack animations and clips through objects. I think this is an oversight that wasn't tested fully and I think at the very least the clipping issue needs to be addressed.

The counselors can hit Jason through the door as well. However I still think it's a little cheesy.

In a place like the upstairs of Higgins Haven, you can destroy 3 of the 4 doors by just Combat hitting the closet door at the end of the hall. For some reason, it hits all the doors in a radius around Jason rather than just his weapon.

One thing I've noticed is that if I use combat stance to hit a door once and then exit and hit the door normally for 5 more times(or 2 more for +Destruction), and let go of attack on the last hit, the door will wait a second and then just explode apart.

25 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

1. Blocking incoming attacks from a door you broke down is not an exploit, that's just part of the game.

2. Using combat stance to walk over bear traps is an exploit. The developers did not intend this. It's an oversight.

3. Blocking the effects of firecrackers MAY be an oversight and thus an exploit. Although I don't think you even need to block, just be in combat stance period. That's why I consider it an exploit & oversight.

4. I don't think Jason even needs to block the flare gun either. I think there's just a whole slew of combat stance related oversights. Personally I think Jason should be able to BLOCK flares, if flares would work on Jason when he's not blocking.

This pretty much sums up what I would of said but in more detailed.

1. Agreed. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

2. The only things that feels like an exploit from my personal opinion are walking over bear traps, this should not happen period, combat stance while blocking makes no sense for him to allow him to by pass bear traps.

3. With firecrackers I'm kinda split in the middle on those, part of me feels that if your in combat stance and blocking you should be able to block them OR possibly reduce the time you remain stunned, however, simply getting into combat stance should not allow Jason to by pass those.

4. Now the flare guns I strongly believe Jason should be allowed to block it when shot in the head area since that's the area he is blocking, you just need to use them more wisely as a counselor when you see him blocking. I wouldn't mind if you shot him in the torso and lower body while he is blocking to slightly stun him instead.

I've also blocked a direct shot from the shot gun once(this was before the latest patch, not sure if it's been fixed or edited), those I would say Jason shouldn't be able to block it without getting stunned. I would go more along the ways of when he blocks a blast from the shot gun his stun time is slightly reduced.

5. Agreed. I personally don't see anything wrong with that(most people do this, anyways) but hitting counselors standing on the other side while working on the door does needs to be addressed.

2 hours ago, Bulldawg2010 said:

Pretty much what @VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow Said.

The only one I consider an exploit is blocking bear traps.

If im host and see Jason doing it, he's getting booted.

I agree with this. It makes sense that he can block everything but the traps. That just shouldn't be the case. Traps and shotgun should be unblockable. Everything else is fair game in my opinion.

I really hope that fireworks, flare gun and bear trap exploits are fixed ASAP. 

Our group will boot people who pull shit like that. 

I don't understand the logic behind thinking that blocking flares or firecrackers is an exploit unless the devs specifically said so.. If someone was about to shoot you with a projectile would you not protect your face? If you see a bright light do you not cover your eyes? Combat stance on doors is fine as well. If you don't do combat stance the counselor gets a free stun on Jason when he lowers his weapon at the end of the animation PLUS counselors can hit Jason through the door as well during combat stance if they time it right..

The only thing on that list that could remotely be considered an exploit (or bug) is blocking bear traps as that just makes no sense. Shifting over bear traps is fine but being able to block them is not okay.

What you guys are asking for is that Jason become a punching bag for counselors with barely any options to defend himself. Complaining about mechanics that make complete sense just baffles me.

Blocking shouldn't work against fire crackers and flares gun. True you're going to block your face with flare, but you get hit in gut, chest, neck, hell even covered face, you're gonna be stunned in some way or form. Also, firecrackers, sure, again may cover your eyes from flash, but then you're still not moving because you're covering your eye(s). lol

Against traps, shotgun, flare and firecrackers no. Against melee attacks and the door, yes