Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheHansonGoons

Things that don't make sense in the movies

Recommended Posts

Below is a list of some things that simply don't make sense in the franchise and maybe everyone would like to throw their theories and explanations why, drop some actual knowledge on us, or even bs and note things that bother them as well.

1. First off, I am sure we all have thought this, how did he drown a boy and grow to be a man?

2. How does he preserve his mother's head?

3. So not only did he become a man, but an electrician to always understand fuse boxes, power lines, phone lines, etc.

4. If you watch the remake (I understand the jaded view on not watching remakes, but just say you did), how did he create such an elaborate shack with a school bus entry way, trip wire alarms, etc.?

5. How does he keep killing on Saturday the 14th, Sunday the 15th, etc? How does this curse work exactly? Clearly it isn't an anniversary type deal, so does it happen like twice a year?

6. If it is Crystal Lake, Camp Blood, whatever that is "cursed", how does he end up halfway across Jersey to kill Alice in her apartment? I won't even comment on the cruise ship of part VIII as a possibility because that is clearly New Line Cinema cashing in.

7. How long did they live around the lake before Jason finally decided to do something in Part IV? Not the teenage make out party (complete with twins and the best dance scene), but little Tommy Jarvis' family.

8. I know the answer is simply capitalism, but why Jason X? no other question, just who thought "yeah, sounds awesome", and why did this get funded? The story board artist must have went on to do other classic cinema like Human Centipede. (please note the sarcasm) Off topic, but who did think "yeah, its a movie about shoving heads in asses and connecting people, sounds amazing"?

I know as I watch the movies, there are several other thoughts I have had that I find not to be logical. What are some of your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Pamela's death resurrects Jason, and he supernaturally grows either to A. His actual age or B. To a form more suited to the task of killing those that trespass at Crystal Lake.

2. Uh... the natural heat and humidity... uh... mummifies... it. (I got nothing)

3. This is, to me, the thing that most proves that Jason is the rare hydrocephalic that wasn't mentally impaired by his condition, because the only way he could have picked up that knowledge is by reading books left at the campsite. Or, alternatively, whatever demonic force that is inside Jason just "guides" him to the electrical boxes and phone lines and whatnot.

4. Remake Jason had almost 30 years to make all this stuff, and in general seems much more inclined to do such things than O.G. Jason.

5. Other than Jason being born on a Friday the 13th, Part VI taking place on one and Tina inadvertently killing her father on one, I don't really think that Friday the 13ths have anything to do with the series. Which is weird.

6. 1. Alice is back in Crystal Lake to "face her fears" at the beginning of Part II, and that is where Jason kills her (at least, according to the novelization). 2. NEW LINE didn't have anything to do with FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, that one was still PARAMOUNT. 3. The boat in Part VIII was still technically in Jason's territory, and that movie just shows the lengths to which Jason will go to kill you if you trespass there.

7. I always felt that Jason just "protected" the ruins of Camp Crystal Lake until Jeff and Sandra trespass there in Part II and, when he stalks them, he suddenly realizes that - HOLY SHIT! - there are actually a ton of these assholes hanging out in various locales around the lake. And from that point on he "protects" all of the area surrounding the lake itself.

8. NEW LINE went through failed script after failed script for 10 years trying to get FREDDY VS. JASON off of the ground. Cunningham and his investors grew tired of waiting and decided to make a fun, silly movie to make some cash while they waited for NEW LINE to approve a story. They got an awesome writer named Todd Farmer (who also wrote the MY BLOODY VALENTINE remake, later on) to write it and, tongue firmly in cheek, he wrote a goofy riff on Jason and the ALIEN movies and a protege of David Cronenberg named James Isaac read the script, thought it sounded like a good time and decided to direct it (which is why Cronenberg cameos at the beginning).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the fifth question, the original title for the movie was going to be "Long Night at Camp Blood" but was changed due to producers thinking it needed a holiday like Halloween. I kinda like the original title, but Friday the 13th just rolls off the tongue better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaderaygun said:

As for the fifth question, the original title for the movie was going to be "Long Night at Camp Blood" but was changed due to producers thinking it needed a holiday like Halloween. I kinda like the original title, but Friday the 13th just rolls off the tongue better.

Actually, Sean Cunningham, when he first thought of this movie, was only the title. He knew he could sell the title -- FRIDAY THE 13th. Before he even had a script, he took out an ad in Variety magazine (back when it was an actual paper trade, naturally) showing the giant logo smashing through the glass.

Victor Miller, after he came onboard, titled the first draft LONG NIGHT AT CAMP BLOOD, for whatever reason. I don't remember why. But the idea for this movie basically went like this:

1. Sean Cunningham was down on his luck. He thought of FRIDAY THE 13th as a title, and thought, "Man, if I had a movie with that title, I could totally sell that."

2. He decided to rip off HALLOWEEN with the FRIDAY THE 13th title

3. He hired Victor Miller to write the script. Ron Kurz later did uncredited rewrites.

SOURCE:

On Location in Blairstown: The Making of Friday the 13th: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WT2UURU/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o05_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RKSDooM said:

6. 1. Alice is back in Crystal Lake to "face her fears" at the beginning of Part II, and that is where Jason kills her (at least, according to the novelization). 2. NEW LINE didn't have anything to do with FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN, that one was still PARAMOUNT. 3. The boat in Part VIII was still technically in Jason's territory, and that movie just shows the lengths to which Jason will go to kill you if you trespass there.

 

You did a great job explaining a lot of this for me so thank you very much! However the one argument I have is our adventure starts in Hope, NJ, how does he end up in Times Square and Manhattan? Are we really supposed to believe Hudson River or Atlantic Ocean or wherever has a tributary water source connecting with Crystal Lake? Thank you for the correction about it being Paramount not NLC. I haven't watched anything past Part VI in some years. Don't get me wrong, some of the kills from this were some of my favorites (the boxer and the guitar come to mind).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2017 at 10:40 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

Are we really supposed to believe Hudson River or Atlantic Ocean or wherever has a tributary water source connecting with Crystal Lake? 

That's what we are supposed to believe - that somehow Crystal Lake connects up to the Atlantic. 

Like a lot of Part VIII, I don't think that was particularly well thought out.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:40 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

Thank you for the correction about it being Paramount not NLC. I haven't watched anything past Part VI in some years. Don't get me wrong, some of the kills from this were some of my favorites (the boxer and the guitar come to mind).

No worries :), it's an easy thing to get mixed up on, as many people refer to the NEW LINE films as the "Jason" movies, and many people refer to Part VIII by it's subtitle, JASON TAKES MANHATTAN.

And I like Kane Hodder's performance, the boxing scene, the very effective and creepy shot where Rennie sees little Jason standing in the middle of the road, the scene where Jason lifts his mask up to scare the punks in the middle of New York and... that's about it. I respect that they tried to do something different with the "ghost" of child Jason haunting Rennie in the movie, but it never really comes together in the film (without inventing some major fanfiction to explain it all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His maks...

Part 3 to part 4, same mask...

Part 6 the mask has a new red triangle. Did Tommy paint it? Disapearing bullet hole in part 6

Part 7 mask new red triangle again

Part 8 new mask. Why does it have the axe mark? Where did Jasons new clothes come from while hes been underwater, less ripped, new gloves, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason had only supposedly drowned because no one found his body. No one was watching him. At best, someone only heard Jason splashing in the lake. Jason actually washed up ashore somewhere else and continued to live in the woods for decades. The camp was closed after the two counselors that were supposed to be watching Jason were killed by Pamela, so we can only speculate that Jason continued to live in the woods because he was waiting for his mother to find him, but she never did.

The "campfire story" of Jason drowning and returning from the dead is only a legend made up by the locals to scare people away from the lake because of its dark history. Once Jason was confirmed to be alive in parts 2-4, it kind of cemented the town in American lore as one of those "murder towns" that people like to visit for the scare factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How the hell did Tina's dad jump out of the lake and pull Jason in the lake at the end of Part 7?   This whole thing was ridiculous!   Did police not go in the lake to recover his body?   He's not Jason, so wouldn't his body rot and be eaten up by animals?   Guess i understand if cops don't want to go in the lake with Jason to recover a body, the cops in the game refuse to step foot into the camp to help! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's something that always bugged me: The timeline put out for what happens after Part 4, it's a mess.

It seems that Part 5 from one of the Friday wikis and Wikipedia it takes place 5 years after Part 4 which would set it in 1989. Part 6 takes place in 1990, again same sources mentioned have it as a year after A New Beginning. For Part 7, John Carl Buechler states his film takes place a decade after Part 6 so it's set in 2000. Part 8 takes place in 2001 and Part 9 takes place a year after that. The Freddy vs Jason novel says the events of Freddy vs Jason takes place a week after Jason goes to Hell. But the director of Part 8 said Jason takes Manhattan took place in 1989 ( I could see that given that at the shot of Times Square, there is a promotion on a screen for the 1989 Batman movie).

I just have a hard time buying they took place around that time because Parts 5-8 still have a 1980's feel in terms of fashion and style. Jason goes to Hell still has a 90's style in it. Plus, if Part 7 takes place 10 years afterward, Jason would pretty much be a skeleton by now in the lake.

Timelines can be confusing. Ugh.

Edited by Beetlejuice91
wanted to include more
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2017 at 3:08 PM, Beetlejuice91 said:

Here's something that always bugged me: The timeline put out for what happens after Part 4, it's a mess.

It seems that Part 5 from one of the Friday wikis and Wikipedia it takes place 5 years after Part 4 which would set it in 1989. Part 6 takes place in 1990, again same sources mentioned have it as a year after A New Beginning. For Part 7, John Carl Buechler states his film takes place a decade after Part 6 so it's set in 2000. Part 8 takes place in 2001 and Part 9 takes place a year after that. The Freddy vs Jason novel says the events of Freddy vs Jason takes place a week after Jason goes to Hell. But the director of Part 8 said Jason takes Manhattan took place in 1989 ( I could see that given that at the shot of Times Square, there is a promotion on a screen for the 1989 Batman movie).

I just have a hard time buying they took place around that time because Parts 5-8 still have a 1980's feel in terms of fashion and style. Jason goes to Hell still has a 90's style in it. Plus, if Part 7 takes place 10 years afterward, Jason would pretty much be a skeleton by now in the lake.

Timelines can be confusing. Ugh.

The FRIDAY THE 13TH timeline is a total disaster, and pretty much impossible to make work in any sort of satisfying way. This is the best I can do, and I ignore pretty much anything but what is in the films.

 

Part I - 1979 (Pamela's tombstone in Part IV)

Part II, III, IV - 1984 (Paul says the events of Part I happened 5 years ago)

Part V - 1989 (We know Tommy was 12 in Part IV, because he's credited as being so in Part V, and to the best of my knowledge Tommy's age in Part V is never given, but he looks at least 17 in the film, and he can't be any older because then he wouldn't be in a halfway house for minors)

Part VI - 1990 (It is a huge stretch to say that Tommy is only 18 in this film, but whatchagonnado?)

Part VII Opening - 1990 (Jason still looks relatively intact in the opening scene with Tina killing her dad)

Part VII - 1995 (Tina looks, at the oldest, to be 12 in the opening, and, at the youngest, to be 17 for the rest)

Part VIII - 1995 (Nothing really specifies a date in this movie)

JGTH - 1995 (Nothing really specifies a date in this movie)

FVSJ - 2009 (This movie has to be set between FREDDY'S DEAD, which is set in 2001, and the opening of JASON X, which is set around 2010. Since, in FREDDY'S DEAD, Krueger has wiped every teenager out in Springwood, and by the time this film starts there is at least one High School worth of kids, I try to set it as late as possible.)

JASON X Opening - 2010 (the cryochamber that Jason is frozen in is later said to have been manufactured in 2010)

JASON X - 2455 (Explicitly stated in the film)

 

Obviously, none of this makes the blatantly 80's fashions in Parts VI, VII and VIII make sense, but there is just no way to make those movies take place in the 80's. I just assume that in the Friday universe that 80's fashion hung on for a much longer time.

As if it wasn't horrifying enough.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The director of VII said the OPENING SCENE takes place 10 years after part VI ends, but that the rest of it takes place 6 years after that, when Tina is 16 (so actually 16 years after part VI). That makes the official timeline the following:

 

PART ONE: 1979

PART TWO TEASER: 1979 (I think they've gone on to say it's only 2 or 3 months after part I?)

PART TWO, PART THREE, and PART FOUR: 1984, over the course of... 3 days? 4 days?

PART FIVE: 1989 

PART SIX: 1990 (but both the director and producers have said they disregarded part V as if it never happened at all, only taking the idea that Tommy had gone to a mental institution)

PART SEVEN TEASER: 2000 (opening teaser) 

PART SEVEN: 2006

PART EIGHT: .... I haven't gotten to this section in the book yet, so no idea if they had a timeline in mind. But 2006+

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

The director of VII said the OPENING SCENE takes place 10 years after part VI ends, but that the rest of it takes place 6 years after that, when Tina is 16 (so actually 16 years after part VI). That makes the official timeline the following:

It's cool - and makes sense - that you put more stock in what the director says than some random guy, but the comments of directors, scriptwriters, etc. are not "official."

Only what makes it on screen is true canon.

Otherwise we'd have to take all kinds of random, contradictory stuff as official.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

It's cool - and makes sense - that you put more stock in what the director says than some random guy, but the comments of directors, scriptwriters, etc. are not "official."

Only what makes it on screen is true canon.

Otherwise we'd have to take all kinds of random, contradictory stuff as official.

In that case then, all we know is...

Part One: 1979

Parts Two-Four: 1984

Parts Five-Seven: Between 1984 and 1989

Part Eight: 1989

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

In that case then, all we know is...

Part One: 1979

Parts Two-Four: 1984

Parts Five-Seven: Between 1984 and 1989

Part Eight: 1989

I don't even think we know that Part VIII is 1989, do we? I don't remember the year being in the film.

As far as I know, the only set in stone dates are:

1930 - Pamela born (tombstone in Part IV)

1935 - Camp Crystal Lake established (sign in Part I)

1946 - Jason born (TV report in JASON GOES TO HELL)

1957 - Jason drowns (dialogue in Part I)

1958 - Barry and Claudette murdered (year given onscreen)

1979 - Part I (tombstone in Part IV)

1984 - Part II, III, IV (dialogue in Part II)

And then nothing for sure until...

2010ish - Opening of JASON X (dialogue states that the cryochamber Jason is frozen in is manufactured in 2010)

2455 - JASON X (dialogue in JASON X)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the BATMAN marketing billboard in part 8 would indicate summer of '89. Of course, that's simply because that's when they were filming it, and not a creative choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Well, the BATMAN marketing billboard in part 8 would indicate summer of '89. Of course, that's simply because that's when they were filming it, and not a creative choice.

Yeah, I thought about that billboard, but I guess I just put that in the same category as "inexplicably 80's fashions everywhere, even though it can't (with all the time jumps) possibly be the 80's anymore."

YMMV, of course.

So, in the FRIDAY THE 13TH universe there are unstoppable mongoloids, dream demons, ancient books of evil / Kandarian daggers, 80's fashions that last for decades and no post 60's BATMAN films until the mid-1990's or so :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, Andy said:

How the hell did Tina's dad jump out of the lake and pull Jason in the lake at the end of Part 7?   This whole thing was ridiculous!   Did police not go in the lake to recover his body?   He's not Jason, so wouldn't his body rot and be eaten up by animals?   Guess i understand if cops don't want to go in the lake with Jason to recover a body, the cops in the game refuse to step foot into the camp to help! 

This was producer Barbara Sach's fault. Apparently the director, who was a VFX artist, had created this rotted version of the dad, but she (Barbara) said it was too gruesome and audiences wouldn't like it, so she insisted it was just the actor without any effects.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

This was producer Barbara Sach's fault. Apparently the director, who was a VFX artist, had created this rotted version of the dad, but she (Barbara) said it was too gruesome and audiences wouldn't like it, so she insisted it was just the actor without any effects.

Either way, that ending gets a WTF?!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 6:47 PM, Smitty_Voorhees said:

In that case then, all we know is...

Part One: 1979

Parts Two-Four: 1984

Parts Five-Seven: Between 1984 and 1989

Part Eight: 1989

I would add some parts to this

 

1978: Tina kills her father (I don't think Pamela would go near the house after hearing what happened)

1987: Part 5

1988 (early summer): Part 6

1988 (later summer/early fall): Part 7

1989 (summer): Part 8

1993: Part 9

2003: FvsJ (Perhaps Hell has a different way of telling time, if Jason spends a few hours in Hell, it makes a decade and enough time for Freddy to die)

2008: Jason gets captured

2010: Start of Jason X

2455: The events of Jason X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Beetlejuice91 said:

I would add some parts to this

 

1978: Tina kills her father (I don't think Pamela would go near the house after hearing what happened)

Tina killed her father sometime after part 6.  They showed Jason underwater, and he wasn't nearly as rotted as in the rest of part 7.  He still had those gloves on.

Yeah, I wish we had a legit timeline on this stuff.  Quite a few years went by! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

That's one old-ass looking 16 year old Tommy. Puberty really hit him hard.

Tommy's apparent age makes no sense no matter what you do to try and fit things together. The actor in Part V is in his mid-twenties and looks it, but has to be 17 at the oldest in the film to be at a halfway house for minors (we won't even talk about how old that guy that chops up Joey looks).

Then Thom Mathews in Part VI is almost 30, but if you make Tommy that age Part VI has to take place in, like, 2000-something.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...