Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Add Retro Crystal Lake To The Game  

36 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like to see this map added?

    • Yes
      27
    • No
      9


Recommended Posts

I saw someone in another thread related to map questions suggest that they add Crystal Lake from the old NES game to the list. I had been pondering about this myself and his post pushed me to create this thread, so shout outs to @Manny1985 for presenting the idea to the forums first. I would like to see how people think about adding this map to the game, and if they would like the layout. If it a lot of people like it, I will create an official thread in the Suggestion subforum for us.

 

I think the layout is great for the game, roads and paths are already in place. It could maybe use some more trees around the whole map instead of just the two dedicated forest areas, but the caves should be included, and that is where Pamela's head and sweater should be, just as her head was in the old game.

 

The lake could possibly be extended off to the right in order to create an exit for the boat, as there was a rowboat in the original game as well.

 

It actually astounds me how similar the NES game is to this one, now that I think about it. They took inspiration I believe. They could probably recreate the original NES game using assets they already have, but that is another topic altogether.

 

What do you guys think? Would you like to see Retro Crystal Lake as an official map, maybe even with it's classic music recreated?

images.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It would be cool to have a cave. The somewhat circular map and roads would make for interesting driving routes.

 This is what I would look forward to, driving around the map and through the wooded paths to avoid Jason on my wild chase to victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voted no. Would rather their time, money and effort be invested in maps based on the film source material. 

This game isn't a remake of that crappy 8 bit NES cheesefest. Next people will be wanting wolves, birds and floating heads in the game.

Retro Jason has already opened up the floodgates to such suggestions as "Bigfoot Jason". Let's keep this game a serious game based on the movies. 

People would rather time, money and resources be spent on a Retro Jason map than a Forest Green Map for example? Baffles the mind. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never was a fan of that game. There were no caves in the movies. I voted 'no'.

If it makes the majority happy then so be it. I wouldn't gripe about it if Gun added it in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Splatterhouse said:

Voted no. Would rather their time, money and effort be invested in maps based on the film source material. 

This game isn't a remake of that crappy 8 bit NES cheesefest. Next people will be wanting wolves, birds and floating heads in the game.

Retro Jason has already opened up the floodgates to such suggestions as "Bigfoot Jason". Let's keep this game a serious game based on the movies. 

People would rather time, money and resources be spent on a Retro Jason map than a Forest Green Map for example? Baffles the mind. 

No one wants the b.s. added to the game, just the map to play on.

 

Btw, Camp Forest Green is just Crystal Lake renamed. You can even see the same dock in Part 6 Pamela was killed at. There's no point for Forest Green, because it is just Crystal Lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weirdkid5 said:

No one wants the b.s. added to the game, just the map to play on.

 

Btw, Camp Forest Green is just Crystal Lake renamed. You can even see the same dock in Part 6 Pamela was killed at. There's no point for Forest Green, because it is just Crystal Lake.

:) Yeah I'm aware it's the same location. It's a completely different camp set up though. Different decor, different style of cabin etc etc as the game's concept art loading screen depicts. I used Forest Green as an example. There are hordes of other locations from the movies that should have that time, money and energy invested in them rather than a map from a 1989 NES game. There aren't "caves" at Crystal Lake. I like nostalgia myself but all this 8-bit bandwagon stuff feels a bit "fan-made tribute" to me, and not something I want to see in a licensed release. It's the kind of things PC players mod in other game releases.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

:) Yeah I'm aware it's the same location. It's a completely different camp set up though. Different decor, different style of cabin etc etc as the game's concept art loading screen depicts. I used Forest Green as an example. There are hordes of other locations from the movies that should have that time, money and energy invested in them rather than a map from a 1989 NES game. There aren't "caves" at Crystal Lake. I like nostalgia myself but all this 8-bit bandwagon stuff feels a bit "fan-made tribute" to me, and not something I want to see in a licensed release. It's the kind of things PC players mod in other game releases.  

 There might not be caves but one area with a different setting can be a nice change.

 

I wouldn't want a Forest Green map personally because the only thing that would be different is as you said, cabin placement and decor. Terrain wise the map would remain the same, it would be a variation of Crystal Lake rather than an entirely new map. I would rather them put more effort into unique maps and not variations.

 

I would like to see the area from Part 4 added, and Part 7 is again just a Crystal Lake variation, same area as Forest Green, just now instead of cabins near the lake we have two big houses. Part 8 would be unique because we could have a Manhatten map, I haven't seen Part 9 yet to know its location.

 

I definitely agree they should add more maps from the movies. That doesn't necessarily mean this map couldn't come at a later time once movie locations have been used. But personally I'd rather not have 3 variations of Crystal Lake. I could see maybe occasionally throwing in some of the layout and buildings into the areas they are meant to be placed in as part of the random map generation though, as a nod to those movies. At some point, the movie list will no longer be viable for maps and they will need to create new and original maps, unless they really plan to just stop making maps just cause there are no more movies to make maps from, that's a little silly imo.

 

They've already had creative freedom and made a new Jason. I don't think there's anything wrong with them doing the same for maps once they have used all movie locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind if it was added, but I wouldn't want it to be added at the expense of a movie location - and there's a wealth of directions they can go with that. From the Jarvis House/Part VII house cluster, Halfway House, to the Lazarus boat, to the Crystal Lake town, Part IV Hospital, to the Lakeview High School. I imagine there's only going to be so many maps produced so it feels like this "Retro Map" could only be produced at the expense of some of the other(s). 

As far as a Forest Green map goes the dialogue pretty much infers that they did everything they could to make people forget the town was ever called "Crystal Lake". You can easily base a Forest Green map from that....a new main road, new trails etc. As far as the dock goes, I remember the dock in Part 1 being a U-shaped dock and the Part 6 dock being an "I" shaped one with lamps. Let's face it they're entirely different shooting locations...they do look different. Not to mention you can add the Eternal Peace Cemetery to the map.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

I wouldn't mind if it was added, but I wouldn't want it to be added at the expense of a movie location - and there's a wealth of directions they can go with that. From the Jarvis House/Part VII house cluster, Halfway House, to the Lazarus boat, to the Crystal Lake town, Part IV Hospital, to the Lakeview High School. I imagine there's only going to be so many maps produced so it feels like this "Retro Map" could only be produced at the expense of some of the other(s). 

As far as a Forest Green map goes the dialogue pretty much infers that they did everything they could to make people forget the town was ever called "Crystal Lake". You can easily base a Forest Green map from that....a new main road, new trails etc. As far as the dock goes, I remember the dock in Part 1 being a U-shaped dock and the Part 6 dock being an "I" shaped one with lamps. Let's face it they're entirely different shooting locations...they do look different. Not to mention you can add the Eternal Peace Cemetery to the map.

If they can make it radically different than the base layout then that's fine, but the basic terrain and lake locations would still be the same more than likely. Changing up the road structure would be good.

 

I'm not saying that this map should take precedence over a movie location. No one says there has to be a limit on how many maps that could be in rotation. If this game is going to have a multi year life span, then there should be plenty of room to have copius movie locations and a few brand new locations that weren't in the movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weirdkid5 said:

If they can make it radically different than the base layout then that's fine, but the basic terrain and lake locations would still be the same more than likely. Changing up the road structure would be good.

 

I'm not saying that this map should take precedence over a movie location. No one says there has to be a limit on how many maps that could be in rotation. If this game is going to have a multi year life span, then there should be plenty of room to have copius movie locations and a few brand new locations that weren't in the movies.

Fair enough. I agree with that. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be cool, but not at the expense of the films' source material. But something as a potential inclusion after the maps from later films, sure. I think eventually, if this game is to have long legs, they'll have to get creative, so why not down the line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it would not bother me as much as other people demanding that they get what they want 1st in the game LOL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another thing i noticed, just because some wants a retro map does not mean they do not want the other movies maps added. i do not see a single person in this thread demanding a retro map be worked on post haste. 

i want a ton of the other movie local maps. most notably part 8 and or a part 9 with a dinner. 

stop trying to hide your vitriol behind blanket statements like "well if you make a retro map your taking away from development" 

lame bullshit excuse is still a lame bullshit excuse, hidden agenda or not.    

more maps = more fun. at least that is how i look at it. i do not see the harm in their being a retro map. like it or not it is part of the lore for friday the 13th. not everything in the lore comes from the movies. there have been comics and also toys and many other merch that is coveted by fans of this series. 

what makes anyone here think they are "uber fan" and can look down their nose at anyone else ? get over it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want this added on along with other movie maps. This would meet the stretch goal for the NES game. This could pave the way for Pamela and Roy to be added.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shwag said:

another thing i noticed, just because some wants a retro map does not mean they do not want the other movies maps added. i do not see a single person in this thread demanding a retro map be worked on post haste. 

i want a ton of the other movie local maps. most notably part 8 and or a part 9 with a dinner. 

stop trying to hide your vitriol behind blanket statements like "well if you make a retro map your taking away from development" 

lame bullshit excuse is still a lame bullshit excuse, hidden agenda or not.    

more maps = more fun. at least that is how i look at it. i do not see the harm in their being a retro map. like it or not it is part of the lore for friday the 13th. not everything in the lore comes from the movies. there have been comics and also toys and many other merch that is coveted by fans of this series. 

what makes anyone here think they are "uber fan" and can look down their nose at anyone else ? get over it. 

Take you're addressing me with this statement? Me and @weirdkid5 had a good conversation about it and in the end agreed. Don't combust about things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Splatterhouse said:

Take you're addressing me with this statement? Me and @weirdkid5 had a good conversation about it and in the end agreed. Don't combust about things.

if i was it would have quoted or tagged you in it ;)

after reading the entire thread this was the post i made. it was not addressed to anyone in particular but as a "different perspective" to people against the idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shwag said:

if i was it would have quoted or tagged you in it ;)

after reading the entire thread this was the post i made. it was not addressed to anyone in particular but as a "different perspective" to people against the idea.  

Ok, fair point! ;):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys for keeping it civil. @shwag I agree with what you said earlier. More maps = more fun and that's all I was thinking about when I made this thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, weirdkid5 said:

Thank you guys for keeping it civil. @shwag I agree with what you said earlier. More maps = more fun and that's all I was thinking about when I made this thread.

np. i'm always down for a mature debate but half the time it turns into an insult match. it's nice to see members like @Splatterhouse who can agree or disagree without going insane on someone with a different opinion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shwag said:

np. i'm always down for a mature debate but half the time it turns into an insult match. it's nice to see members like @Splatterhouse who can agree or disagree without going insane on someone with a different opinion. 

Speaking, let's debate what this map would have on it. Would the cabins be clustered around each other in specific areas like other maps, or could we get away with having the cabins as spread out as they were in the NEW game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, since they already have NES Jason, I would love to have this map available for him to play on - complete with garish 8-bit colors.

I also think some sort of remake of the NES game using the game's assets, sounds like an awesome idea.

I know that some people can't understand the love that this terrible game gets from some of us fans (I'm not 100% sure I understand it myself), but I don't see the harm in paying tribute to the first console FRIDAY THE 13TH game in the most recent console FRIDAY THE 13TH game.

(Having said all of that, I would prefer movie location maps first, however.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

Honestly, since they already have NES Jason, I would love to have this map available for him to play on - complete with garish 8-bit colors.

I also think some sort of remake of the NES game using the game's assets, sounds like an awesome idea.

I know that some people can't understand the love that this terrible game gets from some of us fans (I'm not 100% sure I understand it myself), but I don't see the harm in paying tribute to the first console FRIDAY THE 13TH game in the most recent console FRIDAY THE 13TH game.

(Having said all of that, I would prefer movie location maps first, however.)

Domark did it first on the Commodore 64. Sure it was a home computer, but it was basically a gaming console as it not only had a disk drive and a cassette drive, but also had a cartridge slot for games. So there! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JohnnyKapow said:

Domark did it first on the Commodore 64. Sure it was a home computer, but it was basically a gaming console as it not only had a disk drive and a cassette drive, but also had a cartridge slot for games. So there! :)

mFJwIO_vXZdGDr2Reir4sOIKyGqFZ0dVCff2FDBx

I don't know, something about the name of the Commodore 64 game leads me to believe that it wasn't a console game, but I just can't put my finger on it...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...