Whenever a thread about balance issues comes up, it feels like a non-starter to me.

No one likes to hear "git gud," and that's understandable, but the fact is that most people on here that I read posts from that are playing in experienced groups don't seem to think that the game is balanced poorly.

Take the traps. There are four ways of dealing with them.

1. Have a counselor with the thick skin perk just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later

2. Have a full health counselor with a med spray just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later

3. Disarm the trap with the pocket knife

4. Attempt to come at the trapped objective from an angle, and sometimes you can still work on the objective without springing the trap

Now, really, none of those options (except maybe option 2) are obvious to a player. But they are all there, and when you are playing against a full group of 7 people, all with perks and weapons and items at the ready, the traps aren't as infallible of a strategy as you may think (and that's before you get into the difficulty of effectively trapping the boat on most maps).

Due to the fourth way of dealing with traps that I stated above, I have had counselors straight up repair the phone box and call the police after I trapped the phone box twice, and I never heard a damn think until the call was completed.

Between the perks and the different stunning and damaging abilities of different weapons and just using basic communication skills in the group (which, when I don't play with friends, is the thing that is so often lacking), there's a lot more depth and ability to confound/overwhelm Jason than one might think. 

• Like 1

Has the game become stale or is the OP just unhappy that people are failing to play in the manner that would keep him the most entertained?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

Whenever a thread about balance issues comes up, it feels like a non-starter to me.

No one likes to hear "git gud," and that's understandable, but the fact is that most people on here that I read posts from that are playing in experienced groups don't seem to think that the game is balanced poorly.

1. Have a counselor with the thick skin perk just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later

2. Have a full health counselor with a med spray just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later

4. Attempt to come at the trapped objective from an angle, and sometimes you can still work on the objective without springing the trap

Now, really, none of those options (except maybe option 2) are obvious to a player. But they are all there, and when you are playing against a full group of 7 people, all with perks and weapons and items at the ready, the traps aren't as infallible of a strategy as you may think (and that's before you get into the difficulty of effectively trapping the boat on most maps).

Due to the fourth way of dealing with traps that I stated above, I have had counselors straight up repair the phone box and call the police after I trapped the phone box twice, and I never heard a damn think until the call was completed.

Between the perks and the different stunning and damaging abilities of different weapons and just using basic communication skills in the group (which, when I don't play with friends, is the thing that is so often lacking), there's a lot more depth and ability to confound/overwhelm Jason than one might think. 

so in other words, you won't win in quick play

no offense intended, but if you don't play with friends, your chances of winning will be lowered drastically?

2 minutes ago, westwarren said:

so in other words, you won't win in quick play

no offense intended, but if you don't play with friends, your chances of winning will be lowered drastically?

Well... YEAH. If you play with inexperienced players that aren't communicating then your chances of winning will be lowered drastically. 

I don't feel like this should be some crazy revelation to anyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RKSDooM said:

Well... YEAH. If you play with inexperienced players that aren't communicating then your chances of winning will be lowered drastically. 

I don't feel like this should be some crazy revelation to anyone.

the way im seeing it, either play with friends and stand a chance, or don't play at all

I honestly won several games in Quick Play earlier. Even if it is just you and another couple people escaping. Problem is people without mics or people that don't want to assist in creating escape routes.  I think the added CP to everyone this weekend should make the game more interesting. Counselors will have a plethora of additional perks (a lot of epic ones at that) and people are starting to use each side of the game better. I have seen some Jasons recently that didn't even let anyone call Tommy Jarvis or install one vehicle repair. At the same time I have played with groups of counselors that have at least 5 escape within the first 6 minutes of the game. What makes this game is who you play with and are they communicating and having a good time, joking around, or is it silent and are you dealing with connection errors. I can see you wanting some new counselors, maybe a new location. Those will all come eventually though.

Just now, westwarren said:

the way im seeing it, either play with friends and stand a chance, or don't play at all

I mean, I wouldn't go that far, but certainly in a online multiplayer game playing with people willing to coordinate things and who know how to effectively utilize their character is going to make things easier.

If I play a game and no one is communicating I will do my best to stealth my way around the camp, putting things together, and I have survived that way, but is it as easy as when everyone knows the various methods of dealing with traps and what weapons are best for stunning and are communicating things like what car has what in it, or which house has the fuse box....

No. Of course not. But you can apply that logic to literally any online multiplayer game. Playing with people that know the subtleties of the game and communicate will always be easier.

19 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

Some fantastic points!  

10 minutes ago, westwarren said:

Not at all. I've played a lot of public matches since the last update. (Xbox) And I've managed to escape loads of times.

In a majority of these lobbies I've been on my mic saying "Hey, anyone else in this lobby on mic" But players flash lights or do crouches to communicate etc. And while it's not ideal, we have to accept that not all gamers want to use headsets.  

RNG is a big thing - In some public matches I've escaped in a full four seater simply due to the fact that myself and a few others spawn in close proximity to the car parts.

Back to the OP thing - The fact is that Jason is a total badass,  he's gonna squish you and your buddies a lot of the time in private match with a well coordinated team. So of course you'll likely get murdered horribly more often in public lobbies, where communication is next to nothing.  

I do think we need more content, ways to escape,  maps, perks,  weapons and items to fend off Jason. But Jason doesn't need any debunffs, the game isn't too hard. He's a huge powerhouse of death and that's the way it should stay.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RKSDooM said:

I mean, I wouldn't go that far, but certainly in a online multiplayer game playing with people willing to coordinate things and who know how to effectively utilize their character is going to make things easier.

If I play a game and no one is communicating I will do my best to stealth my way around the camp, putting things together, and I have survived that way, but is it as easy as when everyone knows the various methods of dealing with traps and what weapons are best for stunning and are communicating things like what car has what in it, or which house has the fuse box....

No. Of course not. But you can apply that logic to literally any online multiplayer game. Playing with people that know the subtleties of the game and communicate will always be easier.

yeah, i mean, theres just no way around it, not trying to be mean

quick play just isnt fun, you have to play with other players in order to stand a chance, otherwise nothing will get done because you dont know who youre going to get in quick play matches 

majority of quick plays ive gotten into are with players who havent and cant get anything done, and i end up all alone and with less players to complete objectives that causes the game to be progressively harder

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westwarren said:

yeah, i mean, theres just no way around it, not trying to be mean

I don't think you're being mean :).

You know, it's not that Quick Play is all bad, it's just that consistently playing with a good group of people is better. I have played with some good people in Quick Play, some bad people and a whole lot of mute people :P.

My recommendation is to do what I did and play Quick Play and friend everyone that talks and is a laid back, cool person. It really won't take that long to build up your own consistent group that way.

• Like 1

I double trap the phone all the time. Here's my advice:

If you see two traps and try to solo it on your own, that's never going to work. If you have Buggzy waiting on me with a baseball bat and other counselors with flare guns, shotguns, and fireworks, however, I'm in for a serious problem. You can keep me stun-locked while you fix the fusebox and call the police, and then scatter pretty easily. It's all about coordination as a team. If Jason is trying to lock down objectives, you put your heads together and approach them with an actual strategy instead of just trying to gung-ho it.

Then as Jason, you have to adjust your strategy to compensate. That's the metagame, which is what I love the most about F13.

I agree, its gotten stale in a few ways.
Unless you have everyone working together, or most at least.
Then its pretty much game over right at the start if Jason has half a brain.

I know Jason has to be OP.
But I only have one complaint.

TRAPS!
Honestly, jason has too many traps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tombstones said:

TRAPS!

I would be okay with Jason starting with less traps if he could pick up and use the same bear traps the counselors use. 

i would really like to see death markers in the game

would love to know where players died, or at least a general idea of where they died to loot missing parts 

3 hours ago, westwarren said:

there is no pressure, you don't really die unless they have the necesarry requirments 

The pressure is to make the game exciting as Jason and when you suck as Jason it's really easy to play as a counselor and escape. 

I feel way, way more pressure as Jason than I do as a counselor, to be honest. 

But then, I go into every match as a counselor expecting to die, and just hoping to do my best to help out until that happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tombstones said:

TRAPS!

I dont think Jason has too many traps. The only one with a lot is Pt. 2 AND he can run.

Try playing one of the Jasons that have only 3 traps and no run. You can get what, 2 traps at either car or phone? Then you have to worry about someone tripping it with a pocket knife or just eatting it with thick skinned.

2 hours ago, Tombstones said:

TRAPS!

Depends on which Jason you use. If you think though, one at two different parts of two cars = 4, plus 1 by the phone repair = 5. Your counselor still has time to escape from traps if Jason misused his morph ability or multiple get triggered. Considering you cannot use any more than that, it means you can't trap windows at cabins for counselors you have trapped or anything. I think it is fair for both side. My opinion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westwarren said:

I don't mind quick play matches if the people are friendly. 

As far as escaping goes, this is Friday the 13th. Jason is supposed to murder almost everyone. Ever seen one of the movies? Never would they end with four teens escaping in a car. They always end with a lone survivor. 

I try to help out with the escapes, but I don't get upset if we don't make it. I find that playing the game as a counsellor is more than satisfying for me, and being killed by Jason in the game is always entertaining.

I've also managed to escape on my own lots of times, and on many of those occasions I have been the lone survivor. 

I'm just happy to be a part of the slaughter at Camp Blood.

About Jason and those traps...I don't think the balancing is off at all. All of the Jasons are perfect to me. Part 2 has a ton of traps but he can be stunned REALLY easily. 

I cannot understand how you Jason's can have such a big trouble to kill counselor in groups.

My friend says too that Jason is underpowered, when i play as counselor we stun him so many times with the team, but just because he almost never use block, use shift to make shots useless and evade attacks (its impossible to hit jason if he runs forward/backward when the counselor starts an attack).

When i am playing Jason i kill him and all other counselors, ever and ever again.

In my last 50 matches as Jason just one counselor escaped from me, because i made a big mistake (i didnt look on the map for a while, so he escaped alone with the boat).

I agree that it is harder to fight a big counselor group, but i was never in really big trouble, i had some problems when i met a group for the first time, but at least they died all.

They trying to encircle me and attacking from every direction... i use allways shift and chopping like a lumberjack then block their attacks if i can't evade em. I would never grab a counselor if they grouped up, because you can't kill them instantly if they working together.

Of course they stunning me a few times, but the most are half dead and destroying their own weapons on my blocks(but running forward&backward is better).

They will give up and tries to run away or juke you infinity around the car or windows (through broken windows to win alot of time with healsprays), both can be countered easy with the shift.

As Counselor i beatup some Jason's too with groups and feel sorry for him, when 3 or more counselors escaped^^ (i feel anger). In this moments i thought too that it can be so easy as survivor until i met a good Jason, who fucked us up like nothing.

I really want to see a group that makes me a clown.

I like the game in general what gets stale is no dedicated server's no server migration as way to many host leave. Fix that were golden

I had one good match with Jason, armed with a spray can, 2 pocket knives, a shotgun and jasons mums jumper.  Once I had used them up I was lucky enough to stumble into a cabin that had another shot gun and pocket knife. 

The issue i find is when your being chased your game plan just tends to go out of the window. Jason can see you where you are, you can't kill him alone, he just chases you until you run out of stamina. 

15 hours ago, horrorfangirl said:

I think its easier playing as a councillor. 

Not if your Team councilors are running around with their chicken head cut off with no idea of what they are doing then Its most certainly is NOT. Keep in mind that many players do more of Quick play than Private matches.

There are very valid points being made here. And screw all you Jasons who double trap. That needs to be fixed. As far as I'm concerned, that's as much an exploit as anything else. Jason has enough tools to kill and you need to go and double trap? 

Hiding mechanic needs reworking as well. Holding your breath is completely useless thanks to the obnoxiously loud breathing that entails. 

Jason's grab reach... absurd. This coupled with the fact that counselors melee like a super slow-mo replay is problematic. Also the silliness of Jason simply doing a quick 180 to avoid a melee altogether makes his grab even more silly. We can't even activate the sweater when grabbed anymore. They silently buffed his grab. 

Don't get me wrong though. I stand firm when I say that counselors shouldn't be escaping left and right. Average should be around 2 escapes per match ideally like in the movies. As it is now though, it's quite easy to wipe the counselors consistently. I mainly play private matches with a good group of players. The times I don't wipe them all are when I make mistakes like missing the escaping car as I shift to it.

Bugs, crashes, trolls, bad spawns, poor combat mechanics and all- I still love this game.  It's been a while since I had a game dethrone GTA Online as my number 1 played game. I get frustrated with the B.S just like the next guy, but I am keeping my fingers crossed Gun will come through and fix the problems. 

I can't emphasize enough, to get the best out of this game, one should join private matches that require everyone to use a mic.  And this is coming from someone who is not a fan of parties or using their mic in most games!  Private matches have a lot of good people who create an atmosphere to enjoy this game at its full potential. Team killing, glitching, camping, slashing, snitching, trolling, griefing, or any of the nuances associated with gaming is at a minimum.  I am not saying you will not experience those behaviors in a private match (I most certainly have), I am saying it is very unlikely.  At least you won't experience it every other game (I am exaggerating) like you would in quick play.  Besides, communication is key and improves your odds of making it out alive.  

The game will be a month old on Monday, and I can not imagine there are a lot of players who can say they have mastered all the counselors and all the Jason's.  Maybe switching up who you play with (on both sides) and play to that character's strengths will help freshen the game up a bit.