It's not necessarily all 'beginner' information @Pappus. This guide attempts to cover all bases, and is also useful for people who are considering buying the game but don't know a whole lot about it. I would consider myself and most of my tips 'advanced' as there is a lot of stuff here that you can't find written ingame. I appreciate your contribution all the same :) But like JPops said, we're trying to keep all information in one location to avoid bunches of threads spread out across the forum. At least in this pinned thread, it will always be at the top.

4 minutes ago, JPops said:

Pappus, Per the forum rules it is asked that you search before creating a new topic. If you find a topic already created you should be adding into the conversation. The goal in doing so is to create a centralized place of information rather than piece together tidbits between multiple topics. The topic in question falls in line with tips and tricks so it is something that does belong. I do want to thank you however for the contribution it is always good to see a member of the community take that extra step with intenton to help others and for that I thank you. Just in the future use the search feature before posting a new thread to check. 

Jpops this is a beginner thread. Advanced players will stop reading this after reading 4 lines. Helping other players out should be more than a thread, it should be a sub-section like pretty much any other game-forum has.

I already knew this post existed and posted a new post knowing it is something different. As I offered I can take care of a thread compiling all information into a neat list for high level players, they love tech too, but they are not willing to go through a thread like this.

This is simply the wrong thread to talk about body blocking, shit-batting, attack cancels etc etc. All it would serve is confuse new players.

I don't see what you mean by 'high level/advanced players'. What exactly constitutes 'advanced' in your book? Have you read through my original post on this thread thoroughly? I bet there's something in there even you don't know about yet; it's not all aimed at beginners. It is meant to cover everything.

11 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

I don't see what you mean by 'high level/advanced players'. What exactly constitutes 'advanced' in your book? Have you read through my original post on this thread thoroughly? I bet there's something in there even you don't know about yet; it's not all aimed at beginners. It is meant to cover everything.

Advanced players are those that understand the limitation of Jason well enough to lose all fear of him. To be frank many of those tips are wrong behaviour for advanced players.

High level players oppose Jason flat out in the open even 1on1, because it is safer. Fear is not managed at all. You dont barricade doors and especially dont place traps behind them. Those are things beginners do, but not advanced players, because they know better. Perk selection is also not variable but static.

I could go on, but that is the point which I am making. This thread is a good starting point for beginners, but advanced players do not behave like this.

Okay so basically you're saying that a different playstyle is 'advanced' and consequently should get it's own thread? Sorry Pappus but there is no favoritism here; if someone else came in claiming they had 'advanced' tips then they would be added to this thread all the same. Just because someone says 'my advice is better', doesn't mean it should be given special privileges. I have to be fair to everyone.

Just now, Kodiak said:

Okay so basically you're saying that a different playstyle is 'advanced' and consequently should get it's own thread because you deem it to be necessary? Sorry Pappus but there is no favoritism here; if someone else came in claiming they had 'advanced' tips then they would be added to this thread all the same. Just because someone says 'my advice is better', doesn't mean it should be given special privileges. I have to be fair to everyone here.

Advanced means contradictionary for beginners.

You say barricade doors, I say keep doors open. Can you see the problem for beginners here? Beginners should close it. That is not wrong for them. Players like me should keep them open for various reasons.

As I was saying from the start a thread for beginners and advanced players is confusing and convoluted. That is why I suggested to split them. You then went on about how this guide tries to cover all bases and I can quickly point you to mistakes for the higher levels of play.

A dominant strategy is not just a playstyle. It is the winning solution and thus derivation of any kind lessens your chances of success. It is not up to me how tryhard someone wants to be - I only give the information to achieve it. He then makes his choice and implements what he likes into his gameplay.

See mounting a car with gunners is certainly not optimal. I still do it daily for fun.

Pappus let's not go round in circles and derail the thread. JPops has already stated that this is where it should go, so this is where it goes :)

I don't want to get into the merits of the question if tips for newbies and advanced players should be on the same topic or not, because differentiating them is a difficult task.

However, I would like to make you all think of: - Why a tip for advanced players can not serve to beginners?

And remember something else, even quoted by some of you: - Tips, are just tips. They will not always suit your style of play, whether basic or advanced.

For example: Leaving an open door may seem like an experienced player's thing. But at some point in the game it will be better to actually block it. There is no final rule about this and other various action in the game. other example: Any advanced player knows that a Part 2 Jason has weak on destruction... so... See the change of the value of barricaded doors?

On the other hand .... Who said that a newbie is bound to keep the doors barricaded? It is obvious that there are times when a smart novice knows from the very starting matches that it is necessary to leave it open in a certain situation.

Care must be taken to not underestimate or disparage beginners ... nor to overvalue the advanced players.

One learns from the other ... and every day this is confirmed surprisingly sometimes.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 7:26 AM, Pappus said:

This is simply the wrong thread to talk about body blocking, shit-batting, attack cancels etc etc. All it would serve is confuse new players.

"Shit-batting" :blink:

Anyway, for those of you having trouble dealing with Jason's traps, here are some suggestions I made on another thread.

1. Have a counselor with the thick skin perk just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later.

2. Have a full health counselor with a med spray just "take one for the team," leave immediately because Jason will hear the trap spring, and return later.

3. Disarm the trap with the pocket knife.

4. Attempt to come at the trapped objective from an angle, and sometimes you can still work on the objective without springing the trap.

As far as the doors go, I'm of the opinion you should lock everything that isn't a window door. Locked window doors don't delay Jason any longer than a closed door would, so locking them just serves to slow down counselors.

any tidbits for driving the car? 
cos I seem to drive like a drunken frat boy texting on about 10 phones at once....

I'd say for the car, tap the button to turn instead of holding :) That's what I do with my controller; I only hold the stick for a sharp turn and make other turns progressively.

5 hours ago, Kodiak said:

I'd say for the car, tap the button to turn instead of holding :) That's what I do with my controller; I only hold the stick for a sharp turn and make other turns progressively.

And for PC keyboard users ? 

I don't have a controller..yet ! ;) 

Can someone tell me what the white boxy icon is that flashes occasionally on the top left of the screen?  I heard it was the phone, but I have seen it flash just before gameplay has even happened?

Could someone please tell me how to drop the gas and battery by the car on the xbox one? I just started playing with Tiffany, and I can't figure it out and she doesn't need to be putting those items in the car. Thanks edited: which button do I push? I tried them all last night but couldn't figure it out. 

4 hours ago, RocknRon13 said:

Could someone please tell me how to drop the gas and battery by the car on the xbox one? I just started playing with Tiffany, and I can't figure it out and she doesn't need to be putting those items in the car. Thanks edited: which button do I push? I tried them all last night but couldn't figure it out. 

Hold down on the D-pad.

11 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Hold down on the D-pad.

That just dropped all the stuff I was toting like firecrackers and healing spray. Do you have to empty your inventory of those items first? Thanks for your help. 

You're holding it down right? Pressing it drops inventory items, holding it drops items in your hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodiak said:

You're holding it down right? Pressing it drops inventory items, holding it drops items in your hands.

Ohhhh. Lol. Thats where I was screwing up. Thanks for your time and help! 

On 6/25/2017 at 11:51 PM, MichaelMyersSickHead said:

Can someone tell me what the white boxy icon is that flashes occasionally on the top left of the screen?  I heard it was the phone, but I have seen it flash just before gameplay has even happened?

That means you have a high ping and are currently lagging. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voorhees said:

That means you have a high ping and are currently lagging. 

Thank you so much!!!  That was driving us crazy and it explains the X button not seeming to be as quick

How do I jump fast through a window when I'm standing in front of it?

I see several counselors doing this, but I just know how to do it when I´m running.

1 hour ago, bobmussini said:

How do I jump fast through a window when I'm standing in front of it?

I see several counselors doing this, but I just know how to do it when I´m running.

You have to be running. So to jump through a window you're standing in front of, push down on the left stick like a button to start the run and then immediately press action button to jump through. Works the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikarikh said:

You have to be running. So to jump through a window you're standing in front of, push down on the left stick like a button to start the run and then immediately press action button to jump through. Works the same.

understood

Thanx

Is there a way cancel a knife throw attempt once you you bring up the targeting system for it.  I hate wasting knives if I can't line up the shot that I want.