I play a lot of "Overwatch" and I used to think, when people carried on about "Smurfing" that they took issue with Widowmaker who has blue skin.

Apparently, it's when you're a skilled player... who then starts a fresh account... just to be paired against low level schmucks that you just roll over because they're new.

So my wife loves watching me play this game so much that she sometimes plays herself.

Now she's got a "Diablo III" score that puts most of my buddies to shame but she's a little unsteady with these "3rd person perspective" type of games.

She played a bunch of games as a counselor but when she was jason she passed the controller to me.

Now I am under no illusions that I'm some sort of Super Jason Player... but getting to snack on all those low level players did leave me feeling a little guilty.

To be fair though how crap would it have been for them if my wife had tried manually walking them all to their doom?

This is untrue.  You gain CP and levels which allow you to access more perks, counsellors and Jasons.

When I play I'm regularly matched against players with Blankethead Jason and Tiffany unlocked.

My wife, who has her own profile on the XBox and the game is matched against other new people who haven't even figured out you can preset your consellor and Jason picks.

Well on xbox last night I was matched with 7 players no higher than lvl8. I'm 38.

I haven't noticed any methods that track a players 'skill' (subjective term I guess) or level in-game. Every player is more or less equal, despite some having perhaps a few more perks than others. I can't see smurfing being an issue :) I played the beta and when I joined my first ever game on release, I immediately had a massive advantage as everyone else was new and I already knew one of the maps inside-out, and how to play each counsellor and Jason. However, other players who have a wealth of knowledge about how Jason or counsellors play can be really good at the game as well, even if they're level 1.

In World of Tanks, we called this "seal-clubbing."  The idea is similar:  an experienced player takes a very low-tier tank for the express purpose of slaughtering newer players.

I think it happens pretty much everywhere it can.

5 hours ago, Azrael008uk said:

This is untrue.  You gain CP and levels which allow you to access more perks, counsellors and Jasons.

When I play I'm regularly matched against players with Blankethead Jason and Tiffany unlocked.

My wife, who has her own profile on the XBox and the game is matched against other new people who haven't even figured out you can preset your consellor and Jason picks.

It is possible to change your couselor and Jason to random so they could have been level 50 and still have just blanks for these. 

5 hours ago, Namrockjr said:

It is possible to change your couselor and Jason to random so they could have been level 50 and still have just blanks for these. 

Yes it's true but it's not how a full lobby plays because people who have unlocked more useful counselors and Jasons want to use them.

In her first goes she was clearly playing with counselors of a similar lower level.

Probably to ease them in a bit.

It's not long before you could end up on a match with anybody at any level which is what I seem to get now despite being 12.