Sign in to follow this  
lHeartBreakerl

-1000 EXP for Betrayal

-1000 exp for Betrayal  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is -1000 exp for team killing a good or a bad thing for players? Note: Please read through posts in this thread and hear voices throughout the community before having an answer.

• Good thing
    • Bad thing

What difference is this going to make for players who have unlocked all the characters and now are working through the cosmetics? For  I've gotten all the perks that  I want, all characters are open, and all Jason's kills are open. So it doesn't matter to me when I level up. 

Raising the penalty is a bad idea. Do you think the team killers care about this? No, they are just trolling games.

Over 100 people have voted so far. Impressive. Again, thank you all for your time and opinions. 

9 hours ago, B0bZomb1e said:

Why is friendly fire even a thing? Like im generally curious? Outside of bear traps being neutral maybe counselors just shldnt be able to hurt each other?

Well I think before people started abusing it and trolling people, it made for more intense matches and happy accidents.

I like the idea of accidentally killing a team member, or being killed in Tommys cross fire, and losing XP, but that's me. I don't troll people, but I like that theres consequences to my actions, so I gotta aim carefully, and drive cautiously, but also avoid Jason.

I think they gotta get that report system in asap, as people that play poorly should be graded, and then we know who to avoid playing with, and maybe you earn less XP depending on your grade.

6 hours ago, Culp said:

Because it is realistic. It is frowned upon but people do kill each other in Friday films albeit rarely. See part VII.

But the evil doctor in Part 7 didn't directly kill the other character - he just used her as a distraction to buy himself some more time.  He didn't shoot her with a shotgun or run her over with a car.

The very few characters who behave this way are also usually portrayed as secondary villains.  I guess they do exist but they tend to be rare characters, not commonplace like how people play this game.

3 minutes ago, CatherineWalk said:

But the evil doctor in Part 7 didn't directly kill the other character - he just used her as a distraction to buy himself some more time.  He didn't shoot her with a shotgun or run her over with a car.

The very few characters who behave this way are also usually portrayed as secondary villains.  I guess they do exist but they tend to be rare characters, not commonplace like how people play this game.

Yep. In other words, it's not really in the spirit of the movies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Yep. In other words, it's not really in the spirit of the movies.

Yeah. I don't remember Tommy walking up to a random counselor and shooting them in the face with a shotgun only to whine about lost xp after.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Yeah. I don't remember Tommy walking up to a random counselor and shooting them in the face with a shotgun only to whine about lost xp after.

If the game is 100% in the spirit of the movie, then they have to make a few more changes.

In general, the game should fit the theme, but having a rule of "must match spirit of movie always" will strip a lot of gameplay elements in general.

For example, every movie has at least 1 survivor and Jason is always "defeated" in some manner.  Such being the case, every match needs to end with AT LEAST 1 survivor and Jason defeated in some manner.

Oh noes, we're not in the spirit of the moviessssss.

=)

Just now, munkt0r said:

If the game is 100% in the spirit of the movie, then they have to make a few more changes.

In general, the game should fit the theme, but having a rule of "must match spirit of movie always" will strip a lot of gameplay elements in general.

For example, every movie has at least 1 survivor and Jason is always "defeated" in some manner.  Such being the case, every match needs to end with AT LEAST 1 survivor and Jason defeated in some manner.

=)

Lmao i see what you mean.

I'd rather have a fun gameplay experience that is in the spirit of the movies rather than a copy and paste. 

I'm happy with the current mechanics it provides. There's a nice blend of gameplay and movie in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

=)

No, that would just be recreating the movies. For example, in something like SAW, it would make sense to have friendly fire and to encourage PvP morality choices because it would be in the spirit of the movies. But thematically, the Jason movies are about counselors simply trying to survive.

EDIT: Also, you added 100% in the spirit of the movies, so essentially you're just debating with yourself, here.

1 minute ago, lHeartBreakerl said:

Lmao i see what you mean.

I'd rather have a fun gameplay experience that is in the spirit of the movies rather than a copy and paste. 

I'm happy with the current mechanics it provides. There's a nice blend of gameplay and movie in it.

Agreed.  To be clear, I understand why you suggest a higher XP penalty, and i'm not really "against" it.  I just don't usually think it's a good idea to adjust game's mechanics because of trolling.  I think devs should focus on glitches/exploits and let the community in general sort itself.  

2 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Agreed.  To be clear, I understand why you suggest a higher XP penalty, and i'm not really "against" it.  I just don't usually think it's a good idea to adjust game's mechanics because of trolling.  I think devs should focus on glitches/exploits and let the community in general sort itself.  

I don't really like the XP penalty, tbh. IMO, if friendly fire is a must-have mechanic, then people shouldn't be punished for abusing it. If too many people abuse it and it ruins gameplay, then it should be taken as proof that it's not a good mechanic, and then it should just be removed, not painstakingly rationalized with a draconian xp penalty.

15 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Oh no i'm against the 1k xp penalty. That's to severe considering happy accidents happen way more often for me than actual trolls. 

I think 500 would be fair. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, B0bZomb1e said:

Why is friendly fire even a thing? Like im generally curious? Outside of bear traps being neutral maybe counselors just shldnt be able to hurt each other?

I'm going to assume because in real life you can accidentally shoot your friend in the face with a shotgun and on the flipside there are cases where someone will murder someone for the last seat on the boat. 

4 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

I don't really like the XP penalty, tbh. IMO, if friendly fire is a must have mechanic, then people shouldn't be punished for abusing it. If too many people abuse it and it ruins gameplay, then it should be taken as proof that it's not a good mechanic, and then it should just be removed, not painstakingly rationalized with a draconian xp penalty.

Food for thought, if you patch/buff/nerf games because of trolls - are you not saying that trolls dictate how the game gets patched/buffed/nerfed?  In essence, who has the control at that point?

do-you-feel-in-charge.jpg?w=640

6 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Food for thought, if you patch/buff/nerf games because of trolls - are you not saying that trolls dictate how the game gets patched/buffed/nerfed?  In essence, who has the control at that point?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Well then that's my point, isn't it? If people are enjoying the game, then no need to employ a stiffer XP penalty. If no one is enjoying the game, then no need for the mechanic. This middle ground of upping the XP penalty is not a well-crafted solution.

My vote -- I think Friendly Fire is pointless and doesn't contribute to a more enjoyable game.

11 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Not taking the inevitable gaming trolls into account when you design your game isn't the answer either.  Patching out exploits isn't empowering the trolls into making design decisions - it's doing the right thing to increase the longevity of your game lest eventually there are games where everyone just sits on rooftops or under the bridge.

Ignoring trolls for the sake of "I'm not going to patch because of trolls" can result in losing your legit players.  After the trolls are don't laughing and there is no one else to bother, you are left with nothing.

5 minutes ago, CatherineWalk said:

Not taking the inevitable gaming trolls into account when you design your game isn't the answer either.  Patching out exploits isn't empowering the trolls into making design decisions - it's doing the right thing to increase the longevity of your game lest eventually there are games where everyone just sits on rooftops or under the bridge.

Ignoring trolls for the sake of "I'm not going to patch because of trolls" can result in losing your legit players.  After the trolls are don't laughing and there is no one else to bother, you are left with nothing.

If you read my earlier posts, you'd see I clearly state exploits/glitches need to be addressed.

Being there is not only a badge, but a trophy, AND an XP penalty for killing teammates - it's clearly an intended feature and not an exploit or glitch.

7 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

If you read, you'd see I clearly state exploits/glitches need to be addressed.

Being there is not only a badge, but a trophy, AND an XP penalty for killing teammates - it's clearly and intended feature and not an exploit or glitch.

Such being the case, your response is based on a flawed assumption that I did not posit.

Sorry - I did not read all of your posts.  You did not mention exploits in your "food for thought" topic which is the post I replied to. I also never said TKing was an exploit or a glitch and it's obvious they intended this as a mechanic.  I question the intent of purposeful trolling by TKing.

Removing exploits from the discussion doesn't remove purposeful TKing which I do not think should be smiled up on by the devs.  If they do think this is acceptable behavior and fun for everyone - let them say this now so I can stop playing.  It's frustrating enough as it is hoping there will be solutions to the problem.  Obviously increasing the penalty shows that this behavior is not favored and shows quite the opposite - that it should NOT be part of everyday play like it is now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CatherineWalk said:

Sorry - I did not read all of your posts.  You did not mention exploits in your "food for thought" topic which is the post I replied to. Removing exploits from the discussion doesn't remove purposeful TKing which I do not think should be smiled up on by the devs.  If they do think this is acceptable behavior and fun for everyone - let them say this now so I can stop playing.  It's frustrating enough as it is hoping there will be solutions to the problem.  Obviously increasing the penalty shows that this behavior is not favored and shows quite the opposite - that it should NOT be part of everyday play like it is now.

Yea, I edited such out, but you had quoted pretty quickly it seems.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds like you disagree with the devs in general, so you can take it up with them =)

6 minutes ago, munkt0r said:

Yea, I edited such out, but you had quoted pretty quickly it seems.

As for the rest of your post, it sounds like you disagree with the devs in general, so you can take it up with them =)

Actually I am not sure if i disagree with the devs.  As I said, the devs chose to increase penalties for TKing.  So what does that say?  To me it means they are not in favor of TKing, or they would have reduced penalities or left them alone.

On twitter they said clearly that people should be more careful and NOT TK if they want any XP.

If anything you seem to disagree with their decision to increase penalities in regards to trolling - stating the community should figure it out on their own and they should leave it alone. 

I only disagree that the increase is too high because of innocent TKers who were trying to help.  I think 500 is enough because it only removes the "free" match XP but would still give accidental TKers a chance to earn XP by helping the team with objectives.

I haven't voted yet because I have kind of been stewing this over.

I think they should leave the 1,000 xp penalty BUT add the option to forgive AND make it so bear traps do not count as a TK. I think everything would be mostly perfect at that point.

I still worry a bit about the guy that is going to run in front of the car as you try to escape, but it shouldn't be too frequent. But man, can you imagine that? You go through all the work of putting one of the cars together, are about to escape and get all of those points, and some jerk runs in front of you? I guess it's kind of sorta realistic though. Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready to slam on the brakes I guess.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CatherineWalk said:

Actually I am not sure if i disagree with the devs.  As I said, the devs chose to increase penalties for TKing.  So what does that say? 

Says they still want it as a viable mechanic but want to make sure there's a stronger trade-off for doing such intentionally...

What it doesn't say is, "outright removal" which they could've easily done.

I'm just gonna throw my two cents in. I don't think this is a good idea. It wouldn't really stop trolls from team killing if they have everything unlocked. Plus if you find some glitchers who are hiding on the roof or trapped on a rock where Jason can't get them team killing is the only way to get them out of there. Should the people killing the glitchers be punished? This is something people should think of as well