rnjmur

Quitting game before death penalty

I know it has been mentioned in here, and I liked the idea about there being a matchmaker penalty if you leave a game "early".  The definition of early being once the cutscene has started and until you either die or escape and you can view the cameras, counselors, etc.  I believe that there should be a 20 minute (length of one full game) penalty where you cannot join another game for 20 minutes if you leave a game early.  I totally understand that if someone dies, especially if they die 2 minutes into the game, that they do not want to sit and watch for who knows how long until the end of the game, that is fine.  However, I have been in so many games lately that are no fun because one of two things happens:

1.  The cutscene plays and as soon as someone sees their Jason is not in the cutscene they leave the match or once the game starts they see they are not Jason they leave the match.  So many times this happens and you are left with a game where there are 3 or 4 counselors.  Not only does this make the game no fun for the counselors but it is no fun for Jason either.

2. The person rage quits because Jason is going to kill them OR Jason rage quits because someone gets away from him.  The latter is a pain because then the game is over and everyone's fun is cut short.  On the first item, I have seen where people rage quit when Jason is going to kill them then they come back as Tommy but since they have disconnected Tommy just sits at his spawn point doing nothing.  (I think this is a bug by the way.  I know it has been mentioned but I think there should be some kind of check put in place to ensure an active player becomes Tommy.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rnjmur said:

I know it has been mentioned in here, and I liked the idea about there being a matchmaker penalty if you leave a game "early".  The definition of early being once the cutscene has started and until you either die or escape and you can view the cameras, counselors, etc. 

"Quitters have become an epidemic" and "Penalty for players leaving" already cover this.As stated there, massive penalties are unfair since the game isn't 100% stable.
  • Like 3

Once the developers add AI bots to the game I hope this will be solved. I know it might still suck not having real players to work with but I hope the AI bots will focus more on interference then escaping. So if players drop from the game in the opening two minutes AI bots should join the game. 

I would like to see the AI bots attempt to repair the car, boat, fuse box and call the cops but not try to escape. It should be clear to the counselors that their bots so we don't waist our time trying to help them but Jason should not be able to tell the difference.

The AI bots should not grab any of the items from the drawers but will make an audible cue once they find the keys or fuse. I also believe they should start with items such as the pocket knife, fire crackers and healing spray "random what they get" in order for them to make up for not grabbing anything.

Either way, I would like to see the AI bots added in a way to make up for not having a full group due to people leaving the game at the start.

4 hours ago, DonJohn80 said:

"Quitters have become an epidemic" and "Penalty for players leaving" already cover this.As stated there, massive penalties are unfair since the game isn't 100% stable.

Agreed.

I was playing as Jason yesterday and actually got disconnected right when I grabbed someone. I'd hate to get penalized over that since it wasn't intentional at all and there was nothing I could do about it.

• Like 2

I have been thinking about this for a few days. You don't want to heavily penalize players when accidents do occur. But you do want to disincentivize crappy behavior.

Here's one suggestion: a countdown timer for leaving a match, maybe a 5-10 second delay. That way, if they're trying to scoot while being killed, then Jason can finish them off and still get credit for the kill.

A second idea: anyone who leaves a match while tagged as "alive" is automatically designated to be a counselor in the next one (or two) matches. I don't know how feasible this would be. But it would only be a minor penalty for those who have legit accidents, while creating a concrete penalty for serial offenders.

I don't know if those ideas have already been proposed; if so, then kudos to the people who posted this before me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quinn FTW said:

I have been thinking about this for a few days. You don't want to heavily penalize players when accidents do occur. But you do want to disincentivize crappy behavior.

Here's one suggestion: a countdown timer for leaving a match, maybe a 5-10 second delay. That way, if they're trying to scoot while being killed, then Jason can finish them off and still get credit for the kill.

A second idea: anyone who leaves a match while tagged as "alive" is automatically designated to be a counselor in the next one (or two) matches. I don't know how feasible this would be. But it would only be a minor penalty for those who have legit accidents, while creating a concrete penalty for serial offenders.

I don't know if those ideas have already been proposed; if so, then kudos to the people who posted this before me. 

I kind of feel if people were locked out of being Jason they would just be like well fuck it I'm still going to kill them all anyway which is not only not fun for the other counselors but it robs the Jason player of their fun as well.

Would it be a perfect solution? Absolutely not. Some people are going to be dicks, no matter what.

Do I think it's a reasonable solution to try? Why not? Nirvana fallacy aside, I think either of these ideas would yield some improvement. 

I agree with the general idea, but there's another problem with penalizing quitters - when very early on, the game is plagued by TK and trolls, and somebody who just wants to play a regular game quits, they shouldn't get locked out with some sort of major hit.  Example:  I got in a lobby, and right from the start, people are trolling each other with insults/racism/profanity/etc.  I should have bailed right then and there, but I decided to try to play it out.  Sure enough, literally a MINUTE into the game, another counselor jumps in the cabin I'm in, starts throwing around the n-word, and attacks me.  I had never voluntarily quit a game before, but I'd be damned if I was going to put up with 20 minutes of that garbage, so I left the game immediately and tried to get into another lobby.

I know there's no way to "investigate" every quit and judge it on its own merit, but if there had been a penalty policy in place, me (the guy who just wanted to enjoy the game) would have gotten a penalty, while the racist troll TK's wouldn't.  

I don't have the "right" answer myself, but it's more complicated than just penalizing all quitters.

Perhaps not getting XP for the match is penalty enough?  I know determining the difference between quitting and a disconnection are not so easy for some developers (although fighting games have safe guards against quitters).

17 hours ago, DonJohn80 said:

A simple check can tell if someone dropped because of a crash or connection error.  All they would need to do is program in a flag that would get set on an improper game exit or on a connection error.  The flag would prevent players from being penalized if they dropped out of a game by "accident".  If someone intentionally kills the game to avoid the penalty then the flag can check for multiple instances of the flag being set in a row, say three or four, then they will be penalized as well.  If the game is actually crashing that often then you should probably take a break anyways.

10 hours ago, AJLeatherman said:

I agree with the general idea, but there's another problem with penalizing quitters - when very early on, the game is plagued by TK and trolls, and somebody who just wants to play a regular game quits, they shouldn't get locked out with some sort of major hit.  Example:  I got in a lobby, and right from the start, people are trolling each other with insults/racism/profanity/etc.  I should have bailed right then and there, but I decided to try to play it out.  Sure enough, literally a MINUTE into the game, another counselor jumps in the cabin I'm in, starts throwing around the n-word, and attacks me.  I had never voluntarily quit a game before, but I'd be damned if I was going to put up with 20 minutes of that garbage, so I left the game immediately and tried to get into another lobby.

I know there's no way to "investigate" every quit and judge it on its own merit, but if there had been a penalty policy in place, me (the guy who just wanted to enjoy the game) would have gotten a penalty, while the racist troll TK's wouldn't.  

I don't have the "right" answer myself, but it's more complicated than just penalizing all quitters.

I agree with your point about heavy penalties, which is why my "penalty" for leaving a match (being designated as counselor for the next match) amounts to a slap on the wrist.

For anyone who bolts once in a while, it would be almost nothing to have to play counselor the next match. Odds are, you were going to anyway. But it targets serial quitters by denying them the very thing they're after: quitting match after match until the RNG makes them Jason. 

Now, as vehiclesshockme pointed out, this could lead to some players acting out in other ways, but that's likely going to happen regardless. Your story illustrates that some players are just there to futz about and grief. The only thing I could suggest in that regard is tracking/penalizing serial team killing. I've accidentally shot a few people, and I've hit a person or two with the car, and I've even murdered a few exploiters under the bridge in Higgins. But my TK count would be less than a dozen over 180 hours of play. 

If I can track that stat, surely the devs could. Again, it wouldn't stop the problem altogether, but you're never going to stop griefers entirely. I'm looking at it all through the lens of possible improvement: what can be done to reduce/slow down this behavior. Incrementally.

Hypothetically.

This drifts into another topic with regards to TK, but I think it could be applied to quitting as well - make all punishments cumulative, with harsher penalties being dished out to people committing multiple violations within a short period of time.  

First offense = minor penalty, and if you don't commit the same offense for X number of games, the offense is "cleared from your record"

Second offense = bigger penalty, plus if you've committed the same offense within X number of minutes/games, the penalty is even harsher.

And obviously, things escalate at the same rate.  So bottom line:  A player who quits one game a week, or accidentally shot one fellow counselor gets little to no serious penalty, but the guy who quits every time he's not Jason, or goes and kills 3-4 fellow counselors every game gets the most serious penalty.

16 hours ago, FantasticFreno said:

Perhaps not getting XP for the match is penalty enough?  I know determining the difference between quitting and a disconnection are not so easy for some developers (although fighting games have safe guards against quitters).

You still get all the xp you've accumulated during the match when you leave. 

It would be nice to see the turds that play this game to start getting penalized but I feel like (especially at this stage) it would be too hard to differentiate. 

But, if you don't want to deal with it, check out the threads in player run challenges. It really helps to have a group of players who like minded. I even created a community myself. Check it out if you're on PS4

These are all great ideas, We really need to push the creators to realize the proper issues, and feed them as many good ideas as Us the players can, I just put a big rant on the subject up or I would be posting more ideas right here haha, but you guys got it covered

On 6/20/2017 at 0:54 AM, rnjmur said:

I know it has been mentioned in here, and I liked the idea about there being a matchmaker penalty if you leave a game "early".  The definition of early being once the cutscene has started and until you either die or escape and you can view the cameras, counselors, etc.  I believe that there should be a 20 minute (length of one full game) penalty where you cannot join another game for 20 minutes if you leave a game early.  I totally understand that if someone dies, especially if they die 2 minutes into the game, that they do not want to sit and watch for who knows how long until the end of the game, that is fine.  However, I have been in so many games lately that are no fun because one of two things happens:

1.  The cutscene plays and as soon as someone sees their Jason is not in the cutscene they leave the match or once the game starts they see they are not Jason they leave the match.  So many times this happens and you are left with a game where there are 3 or 4 counselors.  Not only does this make the game no fun for the counselors but it is no fun for Jason either.

2. The person rage quits because Jason is going to kill them OR Jason rage quits because someone gets away from him.  The latter is a pain because then the game is over and everyone's fun is cut short.  On the first item, I have seen where people rage quit when Jason is going to kill them then they come back as Tommy but since they have disconnected Tommy just sits at his spawn point doing nothing.  (I think this is a bug by the way.  I know it has been mentioned but I think there should be some kind of check put in place to ensure an active player becomes Tommy.)

There's already a penalty, you get 0 xp or cp for any match that you leave before you die or escape.  0.  If you leave after you die or escape you get the xp you earned from in game activities but the crap devs have decided to hold half your xp behind spectating.

Considering how many "fatal errors" and "screen suddenly freezes and you have to control alt delete and close SummerCamp.exe" there are, adding other penalties would be bad.

Just realize that while you may be losing out on 110-150 xp they're losing out on at LEAST 500xp, and the longer the game has gone on when they quit the more xp they're losing.  They're always losing more than you.