AgentParsec

Grab Suggestion: Difficulty over attempts

7 posts in this topic

For the most part, breaking free from grabs seems to be nearly impossible, except in certain situations when Jason has a weaker grip and the camper has a high composure.  Even then it feels like its only luck that gets you free.  Simply making the grab easier to break out of isn't the answer, as this would become monotonous as the player repeatedly manages to break free.

My suggestion would be this: Start out with the base grab being a little easier to break out of, but each counselor has a hidden factor that gradually makes it harder for them to break free with each successive attempt.  For example, the first time Jason grabs you, you can generally break free if you hit the button fast enough, even if you don't have the best composure.  If Jason grabs you again, however, the difficulty will be increased slightly, and then increased again the next time, etc.  The difficulty goes up regardless of how you got free from the grab, so it also encourages you to save items like the pocket knife for later instead of using it immediately.  This difficulty increase is also just for you (not for other counselors), so a different counselor will still be able to break free easier on their first time, etc.

By doing it this way, you give the players a fighting chance in their first encounter or two, and it still retains the helplessness they feel later on, making it scary knowing that you can't escape it forever.

(Suggestion #2 is just to have healthy players break free easier than injured players, prompting Jason to get in some weapon or knife throw hits first.  I feel like suggestion #1 is probably better though.)

1 person likes this

nah, if you could break free from his grab really easy, then players who wait for the time to run out with hiding tactics would always win, they can just hold onto a pocketknife, hide in a closet, and when Jason comes into the house get out of the closet, break Jasons grip with button mash, start cabin hopping, break his grip a second time eventually, and then pocketknife him for his third grip, that's like 7 min wasted right there.

Fair point.  Maybe instead, grip strength could just start out lower and gradually increase over the length of the game?  The starting and ending point for this escalation can be affected if Jason has Grip Strength as a strength or weakness.

Little tip: if you feel Jason is going to grab you try and head for a bit of uneven land if you can.

I noticed this whilst playing as Jason. If I wasn't on flat land I would have to walk to a flat patch to perform a grab kill.

Gives you more time to escape.

9 hours ago, RaptorRex20 said:

nah, if you could break free from his grab really easy, then players who wait for the time to run out with hiding tactics would always win, they can just hold onto a pocketknife, hide in a closet, and when Jason comes into the house get out of the closet, break Jasons grip with button mash, start cabin hopping, break his grip a second time eventually, and then pocketknife him for his third grip, that's like 7 min wasted right there.

Yeah, but that's a good, thing, Jason has to actually go look for counselors rather just just sit with his thumb up his but. While I don't think this is the best idea a player from this forum has come up with, I am all for grab changes because right now the game is boring.

It seems to me that it's supposed to work that way with the fear system, making it harder to escape his grip the more scared you are, and scaring you more and more each time he grabs you. Why put in a fear system and composure stat if it's entirely irrelevant?

13 hours ago, OldGregg said:

It seems to me that it's supposed to work that way with the fear system, making it harder to escape his grip the more scared you are, and scaring you more and more each time he grabs you. Why put in a fear system and composure stat if it's entirely irrelevant?

The problem is, even when you aren't looking at him in a dark room, he can get you to 100 fear, plus you can't tell exactly how scared you are, just the face expressions and the darkness around the borders, some sort of "fear meter" would be gladly welcomed, maybe even make it some sort of bar Jason can see when he sees you with sense.