VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

Slasher Shared Universe - Slasherverse

It won't happen but what if one studio was able to buy up all the rights to the big slashers and put them all into the same universe? If there was an "Avengers" style mashup movie where a whole bunch of slashers appeared in the same film? what do you think the plot would be?

I can imagine something like someone solves the Lament configuration to summon Pinhead and summons the Djinn from Wishmaster at the same time. Both Pinhead and the Djinn are either immortal or nigh immortal, so fighting each other over the soul of that person wouldn't work. Thus, they make a game to bring together the most evil people in the world to fight on their behalf, and whichever side wins gets to claim that person's soul.

So all the big and some of the small hitters would be there, Leatherface, Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kreuger, Pumpkinhead, Chucky, Leprechaun, Candyman, The Tall Man, the Children of the Corn(with He Who Walks Behind the Rows as like a "special summon" ability like in CoTC 3 lol)and so on for anyone else I forget.

So what do you think would happen based on something like that opening act?

On June 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

It won't happen but what if one studio was able to buy up all the rights to the big slashers and put them all into the same universe? If there was an "Avengers" style mashup movie where a whole bunch of slashers appeared in the same film? what do you think the plot would be?

I can imagine something like someone solves the Lament configuration to summon Pinhead and summons the Djinn from Wishmaster at the same time. Both Pinhead and the Djinn are either immortal or nigh immortal, so fighting each other over the soul of that person wouldn't work. Thus, they make a game to bring together the most evil people in the world to fight on their behalf, and whichever side wins gets to claim that person's soul.

So all the big and some of the small hitters would be there, Leatherface, Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kreuger, Pumpkinhead, Chucky, Leprechaun, Candyman, The Tall Man, the Children of the Corn(with He Who Walks Behind the Rows as like a "special summon" ability like in CoTC 3 lol)and so on for anyone else I forget.

So what do you think would happen based on something like that opening act?

I liked these ideas when I was a teenager but I find myself somewhat against them now. I wouldn't mind a movie with two or three slashers but making a film with all of them would just be an unbelievable clusterfuck. It couldn't possibly be scary unless it were something like a house of horrors where people encounter the different characters. Seeing the characters fight each other sounds fun but for what purpose?

As well, shared universes are only possible if the studio owns the rights to those characters. It would be impossible to get all or even half of these characters into one film.

No more shared universes.  If companies want to tell a good story and then cross things over if it works, go for it, but everyone is in a rush to launch a new shared universe and they're not making the movies good by themselves.

I have no problem with shared cinematic universes if its about a property or properties that historically shared the same universe like DC and Marvel. For monster movies and slashers I think that the same formula doesn't work cause each movies universe was made self contained for their perspective characters. Sure VS movies work but that's cause they themselves are sort of their own beast that doesn't really have too much of a connection to each of the characters franchise, AvP is a good example.

Well...it sounds like it would basically be a modern day version of Monster Squad but on a much grander scale which; I would be totally for because I love that move:wub:

On 6/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, e.txcountryboy said:

I have no problem with shared cinematic universes if its about a property or properties that historically shared the same universe like DC and Marvel. For monster movies and slashers I think that the same formula doesn't work cause each movies universe was made self contained for their perspective characters. Sure VS movies work but that's cause they themselves are sort of their own beast that doesn't really have too much of a connection to each of the characters franchise, AvP is a good example.

I suppose that depends on the characters involved.  Freddy's been in Jason's universe since 1993 (Jason Goes to Hell)...

I think there's something fun at least about discussing it, even if it's a "never gonna happen" thing. 

So how 'bout some fun discussion rules?

We want to focus on the "classic" era of slasher films/TV.  For sake of argument, the "classic era" should be 1974 (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) to 2003 (Freddy vs. Jason).  Agree/disagree?

Other thoughts?

On 6/16/2017 at 1:14 PM, bewareofbears said:

Could be good but I haven't read many good horror comics outside of EC Comics. 

Wildstorm's F13 mini was like reading a F13 movie. 

Some other thoughts on "rules" for this discussion group (guidelines, suggestions, a way to discuss the merits and flaws of any given slasherfight fairly on all sides, call it what you will).  And I'm bored at work, so here's what I'm thinking so far:

·         Slasherverse:  A Hypothetical “cinematic universe” operating as a shared environment for slasher-type horror films.

·         Premise Rules:

·         Time frame:  1974 (Texas Chainsaw) to 2003 (Freddy v. Jason, the archetype).

·         Must appear in film or television from that era.

·         No “Universal” monsters.  Werewolves, Frankenstein, vampires (Including Lost Boys and Dracula), etc.

·         No aliens from other planets (Aliens, Predator, War of the Worlds, etc.).  No Lovecraftian entities (Cthulhu, etc.), or non-demonic entities from beyond time and/or space (Pennywise, It, 1990).

·         Demons and ghosts are allowed, as long as they have a single identifiable persona, or possess one object/person almost exclusively.  This includes Pinhead, Angela (Night of the Demons, 1988), Candyman, etc., but excludes “formless evils” or “conglomerate entities” like Death by Corrosion (House on Haunted Hill, 1999).

·         Monsters will be considered at the height of their canon powers when in conflict with one another.

·         Monsters can be non-living things (Chucky, Christine, dolls from Dollmaster).

·         Any “survivor” type character that lived through all the films/shows within the era are considered “Hero” characters.  This includes Tommy Jarvis, Nancy Thompson (Elm Street), Ash Williams (Evil Dead), etc., but does not include Dr. Sam Loomis (Halloween) or Ryan Dallion (Friday the 13th: the Series).

·         Hero characters may end up as pawns between the Slashers, but ultimately will not directly confront them.  The point is slasher vs. slasher.

·         Slashers need a goal.  Freddy wants victims to feed on fear, Jason wants revenge on those who hurt him (or remind him of those who hurt him) or acts on his mother’s orders, etc.  Before any matchup, goals should be declared for both slashers. 

·         Slasher’s can’t be killed, even by other Slashers.  They can be taken out-of-commission; any victory is, at best, a “technical knockout” as per Freddy vs. Jason.

·         There may be an “ultimate evil” setting up these conflicts between slashers, for their own reasons.  This could make for a fun “late game” discussion if the slashers all figure it out, then team up to take on the ultimate evil.  Pinhead would be a good candidate for this, with a goal of causing maximum suffering and sending a maximum number of people to Hell.

Ideas/comments/suggestions?

@RustyCuttlefish I really like your rules. I've thought about excluding anything Stephen King because all his stories take place in one multiverse thanks to The Dark Tower. I don't think Carrie, Christine, and It take place in the same universe, but someone with access to the Dark Tower could travel between those universes. If you exclude Pennywise then I'm inclined to exclude anything from Mr. King. Then again, that would exclude the Children of the Corn. Hmm....

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow I'm tempted to say "exclude King" as well, as most of his stuff doesn't feel like it fits thematically.  Then again, most of the point of ruling out "It" is because, from a logical standpoint, any average slasher would have a hard time standing up to a being of that power level.  And yes, this does mean that similarly Pinhead and Company should be on the same bubble, but I think there's a case to be made suggesting they have some pretty well-documented weaknesses.  Maybe "It" can be brought in later as a "ultimate evil" manipulating things, perhaps competing with Pinhead for victims/souls/garmonbozia?

I'm just trying to keep it conversationally "fair," I suppose.

For the record, Christine makes a cameo appearance in the novel "It," and Derry is mentioned in several other King works as well. 

1 minute ago, RustyCuttlefish said:

@VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow I'm tempted to say "exclude King" as well, as most of his stuff doesn't feel like it fits thematically.  Then again, most of the point of ruling out "It" is because, from a logical standpoint, any average slasher would have a hard time standing up to a being of that power level.  And yes, this does mean that similarly Pinhead and Company should be on the same bubble, but I think there's a case to be made suggesting they have some pretty well-documented weaknesses.  Maybe "It" can be brought in later as a "ultimate evil" manipulating things, perhaps competing with Pinhead for victims/souls/garmonbozia?

I'm just trying to keep it conversationally "fair," I suppose.

For the record, Christine makes a cameo appearance in the novel "It," and Derry is mentioned in several other King works as well. 

Yes but Derry also exists in the Dark Tower multiverse on many worlds as well. It could be that a few stories of King take place in the same world but I say most definitively are their own world.

I was thinking the "ultimate evil" could be Satan himself, along with Gabriel as seen in "The Prophecy" movies with Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Walken respectively. They do have limitations while in human form as well. It would be interesting to see the interactions between the Viggo Satan and Pinhead and even the Djinn from Wishmaster.

16 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Yes but Derry also exists in the Dark Tower multiverse on many worlds as well. It could be that a few stories of King take place in the same world but I say most definitively are their own world.

I was thinking the "ultimate evil" could be Satan himself, along with Gabriel as seen in "The Prophecy" movies with Viggo Mortensen and Christopher Walken respectively. They do have limitations while in human form as well. It would be interesting to see the interactions between the Viggo Satan and Pinhead and even the Djinn from Wishmaster.

Now those sound like some good "big PPV" level fights!  I hadn't even thought that far in advance yet, LOL!

For the moment, though, let's scale back a bit and test what we've built so far.

For the opening fight, I'd like to discuss Michael Myers vs. Leatherface.  Michael is chasing after his sister, Laurie Strode, who is trying to escape her hellish past.  On the run, her car breaks down in rural Texas.  She goes to a diner to call for help, where she catches Leatherface's eye (the diner being run by his family).  Caught between two murderous monsters, she falls in with the police and some sympathetic fellow travelers. 

Michael's goal is to murder Laurie, and anyone/everyone between him and her.  Leatherface wants to protect Laurie, but his family pushes him in different directions.

So what happens?

I could see Michael dispatching Leatherfaces's family one-by-one, while Leather runs around trying to figure out what is going on, but the second those two fight, I feel like Leather's chainsaw will give him an edge.

In any case, I would love to see some lesser known slashers included? Wanna match up that wouldn't need a lot of explaining? Leatherface vs. the Phantom Killer of Texarkana from The Town that Dreaded Sundown. They're both in Texas, so it wouldn't require a character traveling a long distance just to justify the fight.

@shaderaygun I was thinking this would be limited to "franchise" killers for the most part, those with at least one sequel, but if it won't hurt the story then I guess it could happen.

@RustyCuttlefish I think the story should start with villains that talk first so it is more engaging to begin with. If it ever becomes something like a web comic I think that's the best way to start it. Michael and Leatherface could be the second or third killer intro scene. I'm not sure about the order of the scenes but some matchups I would like to see are:

Chucky vs Leprechaun

Michael vs Leatherface

Candyman vs Pumpkinhead

Jason vs The Creeper

The Tall Man vs Pinhead

Gabriel vs Reverend Henry Kane(Poltergeist 2)

Herbert West vs Pluto from Hills Have Eyes

And perhaps Lucifer vs the Djinn in a game of wits like riddles or a game of chess, kind of like a metaphor for the killers picking each other off.

On 7/12/2017 at 9:22 AM, RustyCuttlefish said:

garmonbozia

Just taking a "peak" at the thread, and thrilled to see the use of this word. Especially since I'm deep into season 3.

Anyway, ON TOPIC, has anyone ever seen the movie "Identity" with John Cusack? Or, more recently, "Split"?

Well, have the movie open with a woman chained to a wall...

Somehow tie that into a building narrative where the iconic slashers duke it out for supremacy in a small but populated town troubled by a monster of its own, the robed man at the end of a dark street with a basement full of bloody chains and battered women. Maybe this evil figure has orchestrated all this with some sinister rituals and human sacrifices.

Well, as our favorite monsters try to beat the hell out of each other, whenever one gets the upper hand, we get to witness them murder in their classic scary style one of the locals. So we get FvsJ combat action leveling this little town, with good old fashion horror leaving a trail of bodies. Maybe they're all fighting for some ultimate trophy, say, that young woman in chains, that the winner gets to keep exclusively for them-self. There's just something special about her.

The twist is that all these slashers are really the split identities fighting for control of one person. A first person p.o.v. montage of all the murders of the locals would reveal it's been the same killer all along; the final reveal being that it's been the "woman in chains" the whole time killing the locals, causing explosions and property damage, and making her way to the man who broke her, who kept her chained in his bloody basement for perverse, if not profane, purposes.

She had escaped as a young girl but left a part of herself behind... maybe a part he stole. And maybe it's revealed he wasn't in fact summoning demons, but is instead a sexual predator. To cope, she grew up thriving on horror movies. And the day has come that he becomes the hunted trying to outwit and survive the nightmare she's become living out the films at the expense of this sleepy little town's populace. Maybe they were all neighbors who looked the other way for some reason... or she just blames them for not hearing her screams.

Perhaps all the movie villains fighting inside of her finally cease their epic disputes and come to the agreement that it takes a village of monsters to raise a murderer.  A comic relief moment of a bunch of proud daddies with tears in their eyes right before the most horrific cat & mouse chase and the eventual catching, torturing and butchering of the bad man in wildly wicked ways. And all done in the style of "David Lynch." Lol.

(I of course reference "Split" to explain her superhuman strength that I would give her in the movie and "Identity" for obvious reasons.)

@Pjthines I don't like the idea of the slasher villains not being "real." If they are all figments of a person's imagination, then done of the fights matter because they are not "real." Just like movies that end with "It was all a dream" bull crap that makes the previous 2 hours feel like a waste of time.

• Like 1