Unclebunt

Do you make the most of your traps ? (Jason)

Been reading a few posts about Jason's and people saying they are over or underpowered etc and can't catch Vanessa's.

So I thought I would ask the question; do you use traps and how do you use them?

i see a lot of people playing as Jason who don't use a single trap in the entire game and if they do, it's just one trap in front of the car.

LEARN to use your traps properly and listen to noises made and you can demolish counsellors.

My first tip would be to always trap the police phone. Straight away you know they are gonna get seriously hurt when trying to phone police and when you hear that trap click, go there and defeat your first counsellor. If you play as a trapper Jason Remember to put another trap in its place ready for the next counsellor.

Trapping the car is extremely effective also. If you have enough traps be sure to trap the gas fill part of the car AND the bonnet. Useless to trap the driver door because if someone does get in, you'll hear the car starting as Jason anyway.

If there is a boat on the map be sure to trap the pier if your a trapper Jason.

Dont bother trapping your shack, if someone enters Pamela will alert you anyway.

just trap key areas used to escape but my most important tip is definately trap that phone!

what I do: SAVINI Jason

police phone: 2 traps straight away

car: 1 at bonnet 1 at fuel fill

boat: 1 at start of pier.

you now have your key areas covered just be sure to listen very carefully and remember your map as to where they were so when the trap is set off, the trap icon will disappear so you know exactly where to go!

hope this helps

Edited by Unclebunt

Yeah, placing at least one bear trap at the phone box should be the very first thing you do as Jason. If someone manages to successfully call the police, it will put a huge amount of pressure on the Jason player.

• Like 1

At the beginning of the game, I always trap the phone. Some people say it's quite cheap, but I'm playing to win and I have no intention of giving 7 other players an easy victory. Ideally I put two down so that if they disarm one, they have to go through another.

After that, I nip over to the four seater and trap it at the front. I don't bother putting two down anymore because they have to get rid of the first trap to fix the car anyway, and by that time you'll know if they're trying to fix it or not. If they try to fix it, then trap the gas tank. 

I don't bother trapping the boat anymore either, the traps are too obvious and very easy to run around. By mid-game I usually have two traps left, which I use to trap whichever objective they're attempting to fix. Traps are best used as alarms to say "hey! They're trying to fix this objective!"

• Like 3

You HAVE to trap the phone, otherwise risking an early game ending due to a police call is a terrible and demoralizing way to lose. It's a bad experience when you only get 5-6 minutes to play as Jason.

Trapping the cars would be next priority.

Trapping boats isn't really worth it since you can't place traps on docks for some reason. It's way too easy to out maneuver and get around traps before the dock entrance. I've seen a Jason place four traps in a row by dock entrance, and it still wasn't enough to find a small patch or pathing to get through them.

• Like 1

If your a trapper Jason with 5 traps putting one by boat for insurance always works for me. If no one goes for it then that's fair but if someone does, 80% of the time it works for me. Don't put it directy in the middle put it on one side a little because that's a lot more unpredictable.

This is very helpful, thanks people !

Which Jason has the most traps btw ? and can you find more as Jason ? 

My apologies if this is covered somewhere else and/or common knowledge..

2 has the most traps :) There are no more traps available in the map for Jason to use sadly.

• Like 1

The ones who have a trap weakness only have 3. I think it's part 9 and part 7 that have the trap weaknesses. Part 2 has a trap strength and gets 7 traps whilst every other Jason without a trap strength/weakness gets 5.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, REO said:

You HAVE to trap the phone, otherwise risking an early game ending due to a police call is a terrible and demoralizing way to lose. It's a bad experience when you only get 5-6 minutes to play as Jason.

Trapping the cars would be next priority.

Trapping boats isn't really worth it since you can't place traps on docks for some reason. It's way too easy to out maneuver and get around traps before the dock entrance. I've seen a Jason place four traps in a row by dock entrance, and it still wasn't enough to find a small patch or pathing to get through them.

On Crystal Lake I lined up 3 in a row next to the boat and an AJ got killed trying to fix the boat by stepping in two of them. The boat was parallel to the boathouse on shore.

• Like 1

I'll trap the phone box and maybe one at the car. The rest I will generally use to trapped important parts dropped by counselors I kill. Trapping the dropped fuel or battery slows them down quit a bit. Trapping the boat seems to be largely useless (in most matches) because they can't be put on the dock.

I'm never quite sure the exact place to place the trap with the phone. I know that, for instance, trapping on the driver's side of the car, there are angles that a player can go to bypass it.

One method is using all your traps around one objective--all over the car for instance. Remove it from play, or make them waste a lot of knives to deal with it. That way 1) when a trap goes off, you know where they are, and 2) you can now focus on the other objectives.

Another location I've found useful to trap is Packanack Lodge. The windows are too high to climb in, so the stairs in the front and back become a bottleneck.. I've played multiple games where the phone+car are right next to eachother, or at the very least the car is there. Because objectives typically spawn in the back, it's a good place to catch people running away or trying to loop you.

Finally, one strategy to deal with "gang of counselors stunlocking Jason"--drop a trap or three around your feet, and fight around them.

• Like 1

I do I like putting them by windows while my prey is inside then seeing them jump out right into my trap. I wish you could pick them up though but I figure jason maybe ain't that smart as he has the mind of a child

• Like 1

How can you tell on the map which traps have been tripped? As Jason, I always hear my traps go off but then have to guess which ones, and spend time morphing around the map checks if each one.

When you place a trap, it looks like a little diamond with a few cutouts. When someone steps in a trap, it will glow brighter and have a smaller diamond inside it.

• Like 1

When I get a player cornered in a cabin I will go around and smash all the windows then before breaking down the door I will put a trap down. Usually they play the couch game with me and I just let them think I messed up and got out of position which usually makes them run for the doorway. Doesn't work all the time but it does work often as they are too worried about getting away to bother looking down.

38 minutes ago, Dyson350 said:

When I get a player cornered in a cabin I will go around and smash all the windows then before breaking down the door I will put a trap down. Usually they play the couch game with me and I just let them think I messed up and got out of position which usually makes them run for the doorway. Doesn't work all the time but it does work often as they are too worried about getting away to bother looking down.

That's not bad. Because usually if you go around trapping the windows, they stun you and go out a door. Or, they jump out a window on teh side of the cabin you haven't reached yet.

11 minutes ago, HodderFodder said:

That's not bad. Because usually if you go around trapping the windows, they stun you and go out a door. Or, they jump out a window on teh side of the cabin you haven't reached yet.

Exactly, as long as you bust the windows and trap the door they are guaranteed to take some form of damage. I don't use this method though if there are multiple doors because its wasting traps. I usually just flush them out then go for a shift grab in those situations.

Always trap the phone box.

and always break a door where the phone is located.

Dont need any easy escapes.

Then on to the 4 seat car.

Then power generator killing.

Then actual killing.

profit.

• Like 1

I'm curious as my preference is playing as a counselor.  I'm dying more and more often to what seems like a single trap, but I'm at full health.

Is there a way to set up multiple traps on one spot? If there is, is it a glitch? 

I've been mixing up my traps lately, since its become too easy for counselors to know where you will place them.

I tend to place them next to doors or windows around the objective locations instead of ON the actual objectives.

I still think Jason should be allowed to put them inside Cabins and more so because if the counselors are dumb enough not to see them while trying to troll/juke Jason on furniture or windows, then you deserve to be stuck in them.

Other then when dealing with people trying to kill me or troll me. The only real tough parts are still dealing with the faster counselors that seek to loop you for 20 minutes, since those counselors have no skills whatsoever in terms of repair and its their only option once everybody else is dead. I hate relying on shift grab for them, but since broken windows, knives and slashes do relatively nothing against thick skinned counselors, grab is really your only option.

1 hour ago, tyrant666 said:

I've been mixing up my traps lately, since its become too easy for counselors to know where you will place them.

I tend to place them next to doors or windows around the objective locations instead of ON the actual objectives.

I still think Jason should be allowed to put them inside Cabins and more so because if the counselors are dumb enough not to see them while trying to troll/juke Jason on furniture or windows, then you deserve to be stuck in them.

Other then when dealing with people trying to kill me or troll me. The only real tough parts are still dealing with the faster counselors that seek to loop you for 20 minutes, since those counselors have no skills whatsoever in terms of repair and its their only option once everybody else is dead. I hate relying on shift grab for them, but since broken windows, knives and slashes do relatively nothing against thick skinned counselors, grab is really your only option.

I tried to do that and have had mixed results. Usually its more efficient to trap the objective. I want the coucelors to either tank the trap or burn the knife. Either way it's going to give me a kill later.  If they cut the trap but wasn't able to get then objective fixed, it gets trapped again.  

I usually try to hold onto a least one, that way when I'm dealing with a fast character I can try and herd them into it during our chase. 

• Like 1