Jump to content
ikarikh

Does Sony hate this game?

Recommended Posts

It seems like Sony has pretty much screwed with every aspect of this games launch and I'm kinda starting to think it's personal, because I've NEVER seen this much shenanigans before.

 

1) They took weeks to get back to the devs on Ratings for certain territories, almost delaying the launch of those territories.

2) They released the exclusive F13 bundle theme for free 2 weeks prior to release by accident.

3) Game was hidden on psn store on launch and not featured like every other new release. You had to dig to find it.

4) DLC codes didn't work

5) Savini skin was put up for sale despite being repeatedly checked for it NOT to go up on sale by devs

6) Savini DLC went live with Clothing Pack slated for the following day but still no Counselor Clothing Pack as of this post 3+ days later. And that's on top of the dlc already being 2 weeks late to begin with.

 

I know the game has had a rough start overall and Xbox got the biggest shit end of the stick overall but I think the Sony stuff is the only one that systematically has fucked with every single thing Gun has tried to do with this game in some way.

I've never seen a single game that has EVERYTHING they submit to Sony get fucked with in some way. I've never seen Sony THIS incompetent with a games release to have "accidents" and "delays" with every piece of material the devs give them to put up.

It's really jarring to see. I don't get what their beef is. Is it because Gun didn't "bribe" them like most companies do? It's really stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of it seems to be with the PSN side of things. As far as Sony themselves, I imagine all of their attention has been on E3 for the past few months. They have a spectacle rather than a conference and only a handful of games shown last year have been released. Spider-Man, Red Dead 2, their investment in Kojima with Death Stranding as well as Days Gone, God of War, and Naughty Dog's Last Of Us 2 all needing release dates(Red Dead 2 excepted) and "super cool" stuff to show...the main corp has a lot on their plate. But the store screwing things up...I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only seems like the PSN and Microsoft systems make releasing games on them difficult, arduous, and barely worth the hassle in comparison to Steam.

I also know Steam doesn't require ESRB whereas PSN/Microsoft require it don't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gun is putting a lot of blame on Sony that really seems to be their own fault. The DLC, for example. I'm putting that one entirely on Gun. I highly doubt Sony is the cause of most of the things on that list. Sony doesn't release things that they haven't playtested themselves and 99% of the time they delay releasing a patch, it's because the patch has major issues and they're making the dev fix it.

Sony doesn't issue ratings. That's the ESRB. There's a good chance that the DLC screwups were caused by poor communication from Gun. They're not communicating well with their own players, so that doesn't bode well for their communication with Sony. 

I don't buy for a second Gun's claim that Sony is responsible for all of this and you shouldn't either. You never see this with any other game because Sony is always on top of things like this. Any fuckups like this are nearly always the dev's fault.

Don't be so quick to place blame when you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ArlanKels said:

It only seems like the PSN and Microsoft systems make releasing games on them difficult, arduous, and barely worth the hassle in comparison to Steam.

I also know Steam doesn't require ESRB whereas PSN/Microsoft require it don't they?

What? ESRB ratings aren't optional. Every game on every platform must have one before it can be released. The "difficult" and "arduous" process is quality control. They try not to let sloppy, unplayable messes get released on their systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ArlanKels said:

This link is a bit old but...y'know, tada

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/458604254458291493/~

All your link shows is a bunch of people speculating and not a single word from Valve themselves. I guarantee you that EVERY game on Steam has an ESRB rating. Show me one that doesn't. Valve can't legally publish a game with no ESRB rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Gun telling them and triple checking with them that Savini was not to be put up for sale is Gun's fault Sony put it up anyway?

The theme that was exclusive to the bundle like most games getting put up 2 weeks early by Sony is Gun's fault?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ikarikh said:

It seems like Sony has pretty much screwed with every aspect of this games launch and I'm kinda starting to think it's personal, because I've NEVER seen this much shenanigans before.

 

1) They took weeks to get back to the devs on Ratings for certain territories, almost delaying the launch of those territories.

2) They released the exclusive F13 bundle theme for free 2 weeks prior to release by accident.

3) Game was hidden on psn store on launch and not featured like every other new release. You had to dig to find it.

4) DLC codes didn't work

5) Savini skin was put up for sale despite being repeatedly checked for it NOT to go up on sale by devs

6) Savini DLC went live with Clothing Pack slated for the following day but still no Counselor Clothing Pack as of this post 3+ days later. And that's on top of the dlc already being 2 weeks late to begin with.

 

 

1) Not Sony.

2) Could be a fuck up on either party's part. We don't know.

3) Lies. Was featured on the "What's New" and "New Games" main pages (but oh noes, it didn't get top billing!!!!!!). Source: guess how I found out it released and purchased it.

4) Could be a fuck up on either party's part. We don't know.

5) Could be a fuck up on either party's part. We don't know.

6) Could be a fuck up on either party's part. We don't know. BUT I'd bet you anything none of the DLC would work without the "day 1" patch that took forever for Gun to push to PS4. No patch = no DLC

 

Are you really committing to the conspiracy theory that so much went wrong with this games launch, that it's not the fault of a thoroughly inexperienced dev and publisher who rushed a game out the door in order to beat their main competition to the [console] market, and is in fact Sony working against them?

 

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did see it featured on the PS Store before it was even released and I've continued to see it featured so it's not like they are hiding it. 

I don't think it's something personal between Gun and Sony. This is an indie game being released for the first time, there's bound to be issues.

Look at what a debacle No Man's Sky was at release and Sony backed that friggin' game. Shit happens. The important thing is that it all gets straightened out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there's any malice or conspiracy here, just plain old human bungling.

Sony Europe have been particularly slow (that pains me a lot) with their responses and the DLC code approval was affected due to that. I don't know which division was responsible for the Savini Jason blunder but they failed to do what Gun asked. If this was a triple-A publisher with more clout I don't doubt things would've been expedited.

And I have a strong feeling the PS3 Counselor Clothing Pack has been delayed also as a knock-on effect of the Savini Jason. They don't want the same thing happening a second time.

The ratings board wasn't Sony, nothing to do with them, separate boards do that. Don't know which territories slowed things down, although Australia was mentioned as one and Germany needed a second ruling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DamonD7 said:

And I have a strong feeling the PS3 Counselor Clothing Pack has been delayed also as a knock-on effect of the Savini Jason. They don't want the same thing happening a second time.

@DamonD7 I think you mean PS4. I don't believe this game was released on the PS3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Glitchtastic said:

All your link shows is a bunch of people speculating and not a single word from Valve themselves. I guarantee you that EVERY game on Steam has an ESRB rating. Show me one that doesn't. Valve can't legally publish a game with no ESRB rating.

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/2741975115069695828/

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/faq.aspx#2

 

ESRB is voluntary.  It costs money to do, so a lot of companies(Indies especially) will opt out of doing it if they're publishing via Steam.

Steam in turn does not require an ESRB rating.

Some companies are now using this to their advantage to put games out on Steam that would normally get "Adult Only" ratings.  The Adult Only Rating is considered by a lot of developers and publishers as a deathmark.  A lot of retailers refuse to sell Adult Only video games, and I believe some game companies such as Nintendo actively discourage the existence of those types of games on their system.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/2/10/5397680/the-cold-war-on-the-ao-rating-must-stop-if-gaming-is-to-grow-up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ArlanKels said:

Some companies are now using this to their advantage to put games out on Steam that would normally get "Adult Only" ratings

Not to split hairs, but Steam still doesn't allow some of the content that would push a game to an AO rating, like nudity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no one really knows who to blame for most of this, gun is the only ones pointing fingers, love the game and backed it but i can't go off of that alone, fan boys don't like facts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DialM said:

Huh. I guess they've updated their policy

 

Boobs sell.  Nobody else is putting out a solid legal front for "Adult only" games and Steam is catching on to the fact that they can make millions off of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...