final_guy

How to fight Jason with low strength?

My style of play is pretty stealthy.  Keeping my fear down and slowly collecting items that will help me escape/survive.  The downside is that my favorite characters have extremely low strength (I'm looking at you Jenny, AJ and Deborah).  However, there are times when I want to whack Jason.  Either because that's the only way to escape from him in close quarters or to altruistically save another counselor.  I've been having the darnedest time connecting though.  I mainly try to swing my melee weapon without being in combat position.  But I have tried combat position a few times, with no luck.  So until I figure that out, it's back to sneaking around with Composure/Stealth/Hiding/anti-Sense perks.

Any advice on how to knock out Jason with a melee weapon as a Strength=1 player?

Go with a baseball bat, it's got the highest stun chance. Also don't try and whack him if he can see you, your best bet is to hide around a corner or smash him with it as soon as he breaks a door down.

Or.. just dont fight him at all and let stronger characters do that. Get pocket knifes, crackers, a flare gun for medium range fight and defense.

I carry a baseball bat/wood plank with A.J. jut for the just in case purposes, those are the best 2 to stun them to get away (aside from the shotgun of course)  but pocket knives, fire crackers, and stealth are your best bets as a low strength/high stealth character.

if you have no choice but to swing at him one on one in a last ditch effort, you must get into combat stance and swing early as he is walking towards you.  Timing is key- you have to swing early, not "perfect" or you will get grabbed.  If you are not in combat stance, you will get grabbed nearly all the time swinging- no matter what your timing is.  

10 minutes ago, Ker Juice said:

if you have no choice but to swing at him one on one in a last ditch effort, you must get into combat stance and swing early as he is walking towards you.  Timing is key- you have to swing early, not "perfect" or you will get grabbed.  If you are not in combat stance, you will get grabbed nearly all the time swinging- no matter what your timing is.  

That is really helpful!  I wasn't sure if there was a difference between combat stance swing and regular swing, but apparently there is.  Also, super helpful tip about the early swing, I'll have to try that.

When using combat stance, you can also hold the attack button for a heavy attack :) Not quite as effective with weaker characters but if you're using a stronger one, you can smash his mask off in a few hits with 10 strength and an axe.

Generally the best thing for weaker characters is a flare gun, firecrackers or a shotgun though :)

• Like 1

I would suggest using flareguns and fire crackers as your first line of defense. Handheld weapons should be a "I'm cornered and screwed" last effort.

It's pointless. Combat mode makes you slower and more predictable.

If he sees you coming he can easily grab through your swings, his grab reach is far longer than any melee weapon. The only time anyone can hit a decent Jason during a 1 on 1 encounter, let alone a low STR person, is if they blindside him as he's coming through a door or get lucky by running around and swinging erratically (not being sarcastic about that, it's valid).

Don't fight Jason.  Strength increases damage and encourages you to dodge a lot, which in the current state is a bad idea, since he'll just press mouse 2 and grab you, and you're instantly dead anyways.  

6 hours ago, Kodiak said:

When using combat stance, you can also hold the attack button for a heavy attack :) Not quite as effective with weaker characters but if you're using a stronger one, you can smash his mask off in a few hits with 10 strength and an axe.

Generally the best thing for weaker characters is a flare gun, firecrackers or a shotgun though :)

Firecrackers are completely useless against Jason just like the flare gun...

Maybe you are mistiming them and using them when he is invulnerable to stuns Pappus. Firecrackers should stun him for 1-2 seconds and the flare gun is capable of knocking him on his ass if you headshot him with it. Watch out when Jason is performing scripted actions or still recovering from earlier stuns, you can't do anything to him then.

4 minutes ago, Pappus said:

wot.  
Place them in doorways when he comes in, learn to aim the flare gun, and go in long hallways/corridoors/places Jason has to touch the firecrackers to get you in.  

Just now, Tduck said:

wot.  
Place them in doorways when he comes in, learn to aim the flare gun, and go in long hallways/corridoors/places Jason has to touch the firecrackers to get you in.  

Jason can go into combatstance and block both the flaregun and the firecrackers no matter where you place them he can just walk through it.

Just now, Pappus said:

Jason can go into combatstance and block both the flaregun and the firecrackers no matter where you place them he can just walk through it.

which is why you don't make it blatantly obvious when you're firing the flaregun and don't just place the firecrackers while you're running, wait for him to get to you.  You can even stop grabs with firecrackers/flareguns since they're projectiles, it's timable.  

12 hours ago, Pappus said:

Sorry, but no. That's simply incorrect, as you could probably tell from everyone's surprised posts.

12 hours ago, Pappus said:

Does this seem like a feature or an exploit? I seriously can't imagine the devs intended for Jason to use combat mode to walk over traps, firecrackers, and batter down doors faster. Blocking flares seems good though.

59 minutes ago, Kodiak said:

Sorry, but no. That's simply incorrect, as you could probably tell from everyone's surprised posts.

I do not concern myself with halfassed knowledge. A true jason walks over firecrackers and is a deflecting wall for flare guns. Just because 95% of the jason population does not know how to press C and press RMB doesn't mean that they are good. They are good until a Jason knows what he is doing then he walks over you if that is your defense.

21 minutes ago, Pappus said:

I do not concern myself with halfassed knowledge. A true jason walks over firecrackers and is a deflecting wall for flare guns. Just because 95% of the jason population does not know how to press C and press RMB doesn't mean that they are good. They are good until a Jason knows what he is doing then he walks over you if that is your defense.

Yeah, who cares about balance for the 99% of players that are less than experts at finding game exploits to abuse. It's not like the longevity of the game depends on them or anything.

2 minutes ago, raf1ki said:

Yeah, who cares about balance for the 99% of players that are less than experts. It's not like the longevity of the game depends on them or anything.

With the difference that the knowledge will spread and soon most jasons will walk over firecrackers etc. They lack the knowledge now, they wont 4 weeks from now.

Half assed knowledge is it? Go read this and then try and tell me my knowledge is "half assed". I know plenty about Jason's combat stance and blocking, and I'm telling you that flare guns and firecrackers are not ineffective. You are simply wrong. The idea is to use those items effectively against him and if you keep failing, then you suck. Hit him with them when he doesn't expect it, or could you not figure that bit out?